Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow First Grow

I got a Xiaomi Flower Care meter mainly to measure light output but it also has moisture, fert level etc,
View attachment 35337
Shop around for a better price, this was just an Aussie seller
I push it into one pot at the sart of it growing and it stays in the medium until I harvest (no root damage), it sends the info to an app...mine has graphs for over 1000 days on it so it seems reliable but does gobble batteries.

Interesting, though I read somewhere on the Internet (I do not remember the source) that leaving it into the pot doesn't provide you with a reliable measurement. Besides, you would need one for each pot.

Anyway, I bought this one:

Amazon product ASIN B078VJTCCS
and I am just wondering if using it can damage the roots.

Besides, you would need one for each pot.
leaving it into the pot doesn't provide you with a reliable measurement
Only needed for 1x pot if you water them all the same and it is designed to be left in the pot...you will damage roots by continually stabbing the growing media with a spike...especially if you are a 'hover mom' checking on them too often.

Only needed for 1x pot if you water them all the same and it is designed to be left in the pot...you will damage roots by continually stabbing the growing media with a spike...especially if you are a 'hover mom' checking on them too often.

In fact it makes sense that such a meter should be designed to be left in the pot.
This girl maintain that leaving it in the pot will not provide you with a precise measurement.

also this guy is of the opinion that you shouldn't leave it into the pot. (around minute 9:20)

by the way, salt seems to affect the functionality of the meter. Considering that we give nutrients to our ladies, there could easily be a buildup of salt in our pots.

Last edited:
The one I posted is not as much of a toy as the ones above...it IS designed to be left in full time as the graphs on all parameters can be viewed down to each hour for over 1000 days in my example.
Considering that we give nutrients to our ladies, there could easily be a buildup of salt in our pots.

The salts building up that you are talking about are also tracked by my meter and lets you know when you fucked up with over/under fertilizing and if you should flush them and reset the nutes :twocents:

The one I posted is not as much of a toy as the ones above...it IS designed to be left in full time as the graphs on all parameters can be viewed down to each hour for over 1000 days in my example.

The salts building up that you are talking about are also tracked by my meter and lets you know when you fucked up with over/under fertilizing and if you should flush them and reset the nutes :twocents:
Great! I want to buy the same meter als yours :rofl:

Great! I want to buy the same meter als yours :rofl:
The way I see it if your plants are stunted for even only a week from any problem this meter may mitigate, the extra money in power costs alone would have paid for the meter...mine cost under $30 bucks from memory...shop around!

I am doing LST on all three plants but today I made the decision to try the topping with only one of the three plants. (The littler one).
I just want to learn. You might say that I shouldn't try all those technique as a beginner at my very first grow but I think this is the way I can learn.. I can then see and compare.
1650552441238.jpg
1650552441249.jpg

I am doing LST on all three plants but today I made the decision to try the topping with only one of the three plants. (The littler one).
I just want to learn. You might say that I shouldn't try all those technique as a beginner at my very first grow but I think this is the way I can learn.. I can then see and compare.View attachment 35484View attachment 35485
You can top it early, then train the 2 shoots round the pot like a halo.. i keep it there for most of veg, then all the colas shoot up from the main halo, this allows you to keep plant low, and have 8 - 10 nice sizes tidy cola ls on a tidy plant.. i like a tidy grow with minimal deer food..

You can top it early, then train the 2 shoots round the pot like a halo.. i keep it there for most of veg, then all the colas shoot up from the main halo, this allows you to keep plant low, and have 8 - 10 nice sizes tidy cola ls on a tidy plant.. i like a tidy grow with minimal deer food..
I will give it a try.
But because I want to have a comparison, I am not going to top the other two.

As for the LST, it is surely sort of an individual approach, which means that some experienced growers know exactly how to do it in order to get the best result. This is my first time. But there are always small cute new leaves covered by others. It seems me impossible to uncover all of them thus provide all with enough light.

An additional technique I might want to try is the defoliation but I have to admit that
1. I am afraid of defoliating autoflowers
2, As a beginner, I do not know how to do it properly. I have seen some people doing in an extreme way. I would not dare it, would i? :thinker:

am afraid of defoliating autoflowers

To be honest i skipped alot of this thread, didtnt realise you growing autos...
Be careful training them, when thr flip they flip, even if you not finished training..
If i ever do autos i jus let them go...

That is exactly what I am thinking; Autos do not train, every attempt to train will cost you in the end weight.......:tongue::twocents:.
I believe reading your tread solar that you want results, you can get them they look good, leave them alone.
@LesPlenty ,knows his shit!so if he gives you advise it's really most efficient to follow his advise.:twocents:.
Are you really from Japan? Bro, you have some courage in you:thumbsup::headbang:.much respect.

i like a tidy grow with minimal deer food..
I like to leave my leaves until the final harvest as most are 'dusty' with trichomes (the big shade leaves can sometimes be frosty too) that end up in the washing machine for bubble hash...

To be honest i skipped alot of this thread, didtnt realise you growing autos...
Be careful training them, when thr flip they flip, even if you not finished training..
If i ever do autos i jus let them go...
In fact, It might be better to stop all these training experiments (or at least reduce them).
It could be too stressfull for autoflowers. I cannot judge it because this is my first grow. You all here are much more experienced them me, of course.
But on the Internet, there are many people who train their autoflowers too (LTS, Topping, Defoliation) an they seem to reach good results.

By the way, my plants got some yellowish leaves. It could be anything:
  1. Nutrients deficiency,
  2. too much nutrients,
  3. too much watering,
  4. not enough watering,
  5. too match stress,
  6. the height of the lights
  7. etc etc
I think nobody really knows the proper answer.
I am giving the half amount of nutrients that you would normally give to a photoperiodic. My pots are not particularly big. Everyone out there speaks of gallons.
I have the feeling that even just one liter is enough for all three. Even if I mathematically adapt the amount to one liter of water I still ask myself if it would be better to prepare the amount for 1 gallon and water the plant gradually. but this in turn might mean that I would provide them with nutrients too often!
And what is too often?

I also hear from flushing which could be beneficial to remove possible build-up nutrients but what is the right way to flush? What does it really mean? Watering as long as water comes out from below?

You see: too many unanswered questions are in my head:rant:

I think nobody really knows the proper answer

You are kinda the only one who can figure this out as you are there..

You have only just started.. unlikely you have nute lock due to excess salts yet.. flushing shouldnt be needed..
You are dechlorinating your water right ?
Are you using tap water ??
Are you adjusting the ph at very least ??
You can forget about ec for now..
Make sure you using good water at correct ph..

Dont follow nute guides they always make you use way too much.. try only using nutes every other feed..
Your soil is packed with nutes anyway so you shouldnt need them first off or when you pot up.
You using perlite ?
When you water, water slowly.. make sure its fully evenly watered and allow it so drink excess from bottom for no more than 10 mins.. you should get to know a sodden pot..

I find it pretty hard to overwater cannabis.. its a thirsty fast growing plant..

You will know when is right to pot up, as you will end up watering it everyday..

This is one of my old grows early on.. just potted up..
SmartSelect_20220425-125602_Instagram.jpg

I miss growing so much.. but i get free weed now and am actually accumilating more than i can consume...
One day i will go again for the theroputic side of it more than the end product.. they will never legalise growing here as it encroaches onto the uk med weed which is owned by all the mps.. but that being said.. crown prosecution services wont give a custodial sentance for less than 9 plants..

You are kinda the only one who can figure this out as you are there..
Thank you very much for your post.
On to your question, whether I dechlorinate water: Honestly, I have never thought about it. I do not know how much chlorine contains the tap water in Japan but as far as I know nearly all tap water contain chlorine as it needs to be disinfected, am I right? If so, basically we should always dechlorinate the water before watering our ladies, do we (all)?
This is an interesting point. I haven't taken it into consideration. How do you dechlorinate your water? Boiling it?

Speaking of PH, I bought a PH meter (it was quite expensive. I didn't buy a cheap one) on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B01LWWWG2K
but it drove me crazy because it didn't let calibrate itself properly. I immediately returned it.
After that, I did not really take care of adjusting the PH. I know that the ph of the tap water here in Japan is 7.

Anyway, two days ago
I bought this product two days ago:

Amazon product ASIN B0027QEP4M

To be honest, I like it, It seems to be accurate. (Made in Germany :razz2:)
There are different opinion on the Internet upon the best PH for autoflowering.
I thought that a PH of around 6 should be ok. What do you think?

Yes, I added Perlite into the soil.

I bought a TDS meter yesterday. This one:

Amazon product ASIN B002C0A7ZY
I will let me inspire by the explanation of this guy

and measure the TDS (PPM) evel of the runoff water and see if it is ok.
I still need to find out what the right TDS (PPM) level is. 600? What do you think.

I miss growing so much.. but i get free weed now and am actually accumilating more than i can consume..

I am still a first grower but admittedly it is a nice feeling growing such wonderful plants. What a contrast though: you have plenty of weed which accumulates more than you consume and I have nothing at all :uhoh::cry:
I am dying vor a nice vaping-sectionbonghit:ugh:

Speaking of legalisation of weed, this topic makes me really angry. I totally cannot comprehend how the bloody government dares prohibiting us to grow or consume weed?? It is such a nonsense! Especially here in Japan! It is totally illegal! But at the same time you can easily buy alcohol everywhere. Especially here in Japan, it is considered normal to see drunk people -mostly company employees- lying on the ground on their own :puke:. It is seen as a sign of a hard worker who needed some relaxation. It is totally crazy. Alcohol is definitely harmful for our body. We have cannabinoid receptors in our brain but no alcohol receptors. Alcohol is just a poison. Weed is GREAT:biggrin::weed:
Well, I drink a bit of wine or beer but come on, what is the fucking shit? Why should weed be considered illegal?!
In Germany they are going to legalise soon.
Japan is still totally against it!!:smackdown:

Anyway, I do not intend to talk about this. There would be a lot to say about it but this is off -topic. I apologise for this digression. (Please @momofthegoons don't punish me :outtahere:. (Joking:partyhat:)

Ok, I need to check on my ladies...:private:

Thank you very much for your post.
On to your question, whether I dechlorinate water: Honestly, I have never thought about it. I do not know how much chlorine contains the tap water in Japan but as far as I know nearly all tap water contain chlorine as it needs to be disinfected, am I right? If so, basically we should always dechlorinate the water before watering our ladies, do we (all)?
This is an interesting point. I haven't taken it into consideration. How do you dechlorinate your water? Boiling it?

Speaking of PH, I bought a PH meter (it was quite expensive. I didn't buy a cheap one) on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B01LWWWG2K
but it drove me crazy because it didn't let calibrate itself properly. I immediately returned it.
After that, I did not really take care of adjusting the PH. I know that the ph of the tap water here in Japan is 7.

Anyway, two days ago
I bought this product two days ago:

Amazon product ASIN B0027QEP4M

To be honest, I like it, It seems to be accurate. (Made in Germany :razz2:)
There are different opinion on the Internet upon the best PH for autoflowering.
I thought that a PH of around 6 should be ok. What do you think?

Yes, I added Perlite into the soil.

I bought a TDS meter yesterday. This one:

Amazon product ASIN B002C0A7ZY
I will let me inspire by the explanation of this guy

and measure the TDS (PPM) evel of the runoff water and see if it is ok.
I still need to find out what the right TDS (PPM) level is. 600? What do you think.

I miss growing so much.. but i get free weed now and am actually accumilating more than i can consume..

I am still a first grower but admittedly it is a nice feeling growing such wonderful plants. What a contrast though: you have plenty of weed which accumulates more than you consume and I have nothing at all :uhoh::cry:
I am dying vor a nice vaping-sectionbonghit:ugh:

Speaking of legalisation of weed, this topic makes me really angry. I totally cannot comprehend how the bloody government dares prohibiting us to grow or consume weed?? It is such a nonsense! Especially here in Japan! It is totally illegal! But at the same time you can easily buy alcohol everywhere. Especially here in Japan, it is considered normal to see drunk people -mostly company employees- lying on the ground on their own :puke:. It is seen as a sign of a hard worker who needed some relaxation. It is totally crazy. Alcohol is definitely harmful for our body. We have cannabinoid receptors in our brain but no alcohol receptors. Alcohol is just a poison. Weed is GREAT:biggrin::weed:
Well, I drink a bit of wine or beer but come on, what is the fucking shit? Why should weed be considered illegal?!
In Germany they are going to legalise soon.
Japan is still totally against it!!:smackdown:

Anyway, I do not intend to talk about this. There would be a lot to say about it but this is off -topic. I apologise for this digression. (Please @momofthegoons don't punish me :outtahere:. (Joking:partyhat:)

Ok, I need to check on my ladies...:private:

Seems like you doing everything ok.. apart from not dechlorinating your water..
Jus fill a bucket, leave it out for 24 to 48 hours (depending on temp) and it will all evaporate...
Feeding plants tap water will kill them..
When i fill a bucket here it smells like bleach..

Make sure you check ph after you add nutes as they will change the ph..

And yeah jus let your autos go..
And next time buy fems...

Must suck having no weed but seeing weed growing.. when it comes to harvest you wilo have instant readily available cannabis.. sort of.. the main weed will still be unusable for at least another 3 weeks after harvest.. preferably longer to cure.. but at least 10 days to dry.. we will get to that.. you can ruin it all by drying to quick.. very important..
But when you harvest you will get some charras build up on gloves, you can freeze gloves and pick of the hashy resin and use straight away...
You can also solvent wash all the trim and purge to get some bho or qwiso...

Seems like you doing everything ok.. apart from not dechlorinating your water..
Jus fill a bucket, leave it out for 24 to 48 hours (depending on temp) and it will all evaporate...
Feeding plants tap water will kill them..

Make sure you check ph after you add nutes as they will change the ph..

And yeah jus let your autos go..
And next time buy fems...

Must suck having no weed but seeing weed growing.. when it comes to harvest you wilo have instant readily available cannabis.. sort of.. the main weed will still be unusable for at least another 3 weeks after harvest.. preferably longer to cure.. but at least 10 days to dry.. we will get to that.. you can ruin it all by drying to quick.. very important..
But when you harvest you will get some charras build up on gloves, you can freeze gloves and pick of the hashy resin and use straight away...
You can also solvent wash all the trim and purge to get some bho or qwiso...
Wow!:whoa: the procedure with the gloves and hashy resin sounds so exciting!

Thank you for explaining to me how to dechlorinating the water. I will definely do the way you explained.
Your affirmation that "feeding plants tap wate will them" sounds strong and I admit to be a bit surprised. I even took it for granted that tap water (provided that you adjust the PH level) would be the most natural way to water the plants. It would be interesting to know what other experienced growers here like @LesPlenty think about it.
Thank you anyway very much for drawing my attention to it.

By the way, next time I really want to try the photoperiodic ones

It would be interesting to know what other experienced growers here like @LesPlenty think about it.
If the water is that bad leave the buckets out in the sun for the quickest chlorine evap.
We have good tap water here in Tasmania, all I did was make sure the PH was correct for the method at the time. I now use my own rainwater collected off a polycarbonate roof that is filtered through charcoal. This water is too clean and has a very low PH of around 5.5 because of this (my ppm meter usually reads less than 20, it actually goes up after the charcoal filter!) By the way, my town water is about 70ppm and close to 7 ph.
Google,
Water from a small regional town in Tasmania has been declared the best tasting in the world, with TasWater's Rossarden Water Treatment Plant taking the award for Best Municipal Water for 2021 at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting event in West Virginia, United States.18 June 2021
Best beer because of the water too so probably helps the gardeners as well,
1635993506092.jpg

It seems that tap water in Tokyo (Japan) is also good.

I am still asking myself if I necessarily need to follow @Kellya86 recommendation "Jus fill a bucket, leave it out for 24 to 48 hours (depending on temp) and it will all evaporate.."

or does it depend on the quality of the tap water?
You are definately not getting mineral water out of your tap.. it will be treated in some way.. best to let the nasties that can evaporate, evaporate..

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back