Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow First Grow

If you were growing in an inert medium instead of a soil mix measuring becomes easy but in soil you have many variables (even if you make your own recipe) as the soil has nutrients of its own and when you water solids and salts could be making your readings higher after going through your substrate.
I really only ever used my TDS meter in closed-loop NFT, or flood and drain type setups (1400ppm was my sweet spot for my White Rhino but my Incredible Bulk likes nutes a bit weaker, 1200ppm seems OK) where the nutrients are used for a couple of weeks before swapping for fresh.

Yes and not:tongue:, admittedly it was spoken about ppm already but the question is not the same though.

Anyway, it is surely not easy to find it out but I am still wondering why two of them keep showing the same low ppm level although i have been feeding them - and today they got even an extra dose but the ppm shows the same value:uhh:- .

I am here speaking about a ppm of only 450 . As far as I could find out upon the ideal ppm level, it should be around 700... in the blooming stage even of 1000.
That is why I am trying to feed them more to see if the ppm level rises but it doesn't :dog:

Please accept my apology, should all my posting look merely like questions from a beginner begging for answers from experienced growers here.
I am just sharing my experiences/thoughts and I hope that this thread could turn useful for others too.

Ok, going to smell those "preflowering flowers", before going to bed. .........they smell fresh and tasty. :smug:

A quick update. They have become bushy again.
I am still wondering why the other two haven't started flowering yet while the third one is flowering.

I am considering adopting a second targeted defoliation. Just fan leaves which I consider that can be removed.
As for the flowering one, I will try to adopt a much more targeted defoliation.
I consider the arguments that named in this video very plausible. They make sense to me.
Someone might find this also interesting, that is why I am sharing it here.

The interesting part starts from minute 9:12

1652589000831.jpg
1652589000824.jpg

Last edited:
I have started observing the trichomes of the advanced flowering plant with the help of this endoscope:

Amazon product ASIN B06WD843ZM

In general, I would say that there are more milky ones than clear ones. I think that the plant is slowly reaching the harvest time.
At this point I am asking myself if I should start with the flushing already. My feeling says "yes" but doesn't it depend also on the size of the pot? My pots are quite small, which means that I usually water quite often. Maybe I should wait with the flushing a little longer?

As for the harvest I don't know which would be the right harvest method. Not all flowers show the same grade of ripeness. I wonder if there are such plants at all whose flowers are fully grown at the same time.
Therefore, I should one deal with it?
A spontaneous reasoning would be to harvest little by little - one after the other flower- giving thus more time to those flowers that are still not fully ripe but if so, the purpose of flushing would become superfluous, wouldn't it?

The other two plants are looking fine and bigger than the fully flowering one but they are still not "really" flowering. They seem to show signs of it - those white hairs are starting to appear - but I am still anxiously waiting to seeing them really flowering
1653144493139.jpg
1653144493154.jpg

Last edited:
The two other ladies keep producing leaves and growing but still not really flowering!
Should I gave them 12 hours darkness to help them do the switch, just in case the autoflower mechanism failed? What do you think?
The flowering one looks to have almost reached the time for harvesting. I will check the trichomes this evening again..
I might harvest a couple of flowers already and leave the rest still on.
I have been flushing it. It had a ppm of 1000 now it is around 300. I will keep flushing...

1653449988369.jpg

Last edited:
The two ladies are still not flowering. The genetic might have failed? They keep producing leaves and growing taller.
Everywhere pistills but no hairs (stigmas)
pistills.jpg

:ugh:

Last edited:
The two ladies are still not flowering. The genetic might have failed? They keep producing leaves and growing taller.
Everywhere pistills but no hairs (stigmas)View attachment 37192
:ugh:

Strange that an auto flower didnt automatically flower eh....
I always steered clear of autos so no idea whats going on...

I am going to harvest the only one small plant that managed to flower before I fly to Europe.
The other two look soo beautiful. They have grown a lot - compared to the small one - and they keep growing. A couple of white hairs (stigmas) have shown up but - seriously - how could I still dream of being able to harvest them before flying. It's the mid of the current month. From the way they look and having had the chance to see the third plant flowering till the end. I am pretty sure that they would give a great harvest.
Such a pity, isn't it? :ugh:

1. Keeping dreaming and feeding, providing with light [By the way, in the meanwhile I have bought a second TS 1000 and a tent.] and then????
2. Killing them

I suppose you would do number 2. It makes sense.

I can't do other way. Just leaving them in the tent and then see what happens? On the balcony (?!no no)

hmm..
IMG_20220602_201223.jpg

Waaay back, when we didn't know any better :myday:, we used to cut holes in the bottom of the pots for capillary matting and run the matting from the bottom of the pots to a tank or reservoir below the pots to automatically water the plants.

And now that "we" know much better (we have more knowledge) what could be done?
Cheapest way i can think of is them drip feeding glass bulb things... how long you gone for ??

Pot them up into bigger pots with capillary matting in the base and run the matting to a tank or reservoir underneath (I've also used rope inside a pipe to act as a wick in the same way)
Or build (or buy) self wicking (or self watering) pots/buckets/containers - there's lots of DiY tutorials on youtube

Cheapest way i can think of is them drip feeding glass bulb things... how long you gone for ??
I will be away for a month

DiY tutorials

Thank you guys for your kind help.
Summing up the state of affair:

due to the considerably big difference of time [around 6 weeks!:yikes:!] until flowering that separate these two plants from the third one - which, by the way, I have harvested already - I switched the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12. After around a week they finally started showing clear signs of being in the beginning of flowering. It might have just been a coincidence that the change of light schedule helped or they could also really mistakenly be photoperiodics rather than autos. Or they could still be autos but for some reasons - be it a genetic failure or the like - they needed that "kick in the butt" to start flowering.

Therefore, not knowing whether they are autos or photoperiodics, I might as well keep the 12/12 light schedule taking into account the fact that if they are autos, they would provide you a better harvest with a 18/6 light schedule, allegedly.

@Hippie, you inspired me with the idea "rope as a wick" and I am considering the following "crazy?!" idea:

I could fill up the bathtub with water (adjusted with nutrients and right ph) and use ropes as a wick.
I am flying away on the 15th of June and coming back on the 19th of July. Quite a while, isn't it?

Anyway, let's consider the following:

The plant that I harvested on the 2nd of June already ( I could have let it stay a bit longer... I am still not very experienced with trichomes ) was at the same stage - showing signs of flowering - on the 30th of April

which means that it took almost the same amount of time to reach the point of harvest that these two plants would have to keep flowering until I come back.

Looking at it in this way, it looks as if I could manage it, could't I?

But, what about the flushing? The plants would get until the last moment water with nutrients.
Flushing them completely on just one day in the sense of just letting flow liters and liters of water through the soil until I have a good ppm measure of run-off water does not necessarily mean that the plants itself - their roots and all up to the buds - have also absorbed the flushed water. Therefore, it would mean having to harvest two unflushed plants.

I wanted to post a picture of the two but they are sleeping now :smug: and according to the phtoperiodics schedule, they need 100% darkness during the dark time. I will post a picture of them later.

What are your thoughts on this state of affairs?

Last edited:
It's not ideal but it's definitely possible ;)

Yes - a bath should work well as a tank or reservoir
The rope in a pipe method worked but capillary matting was better, as I remember.
You'll also need to find something to cover the feed to stop light getting in, and put an airstone or 2 in there too.

When I did that, the roots grew all the way down the pipes and into the tank :shocked:
That's what lead me to try making my own bubble buckets and the deep water culture (DWC) growing style, which is how I usually grow.

Looking at the calendar I'd say you'll be back in time to give them a flush for a days at least.
Most of the growers I know take photoperiods a week or 2 beyond what it says on the pack.

Gotta be honest.. if @sballo ends up with useable product.. i will be amazed, and deeply impressed..
Im rooting for your ladies..

Thank you guys for sharing your opinions and thoughts! It is much appreciated.

It's not ideal but it's definitely possible ;)

Yes - a bath should work well as a tank or reservoir
The rope in a pipe method worked but capillary matting was better, as I remember.
You'll also need to find something to cover the feed to stop light getting in, and put an airstone or 2 in there too.

When I did that, the roots grew all the way down the pipes and into the tank :shocked:
That's what lead me to try making my own bubble buckets and the deep water culture (DWC) growing style, which is how I usually grow.

Looking at the calendar I'd say you'll be back in time to give them a flush for a days at least.
Most of the growers I know take photoperiods a week or 2 beyond what it says on the pack.

@Hippie, your positive attitude motivates and reinforces my desire to give it a try.
I still don't know well, how I will do it. I will need to move the tent closer to the bathtub. Try to find the most appropriate "rope method".
Would it be better to let the rope(s) pass through a pipe like this:

rather than using only the "naked" rope(s)?

Or what about this method one: It is a dual wi-fi pump. I could use the second pump for flushing :biggrin:

Amazon product ASIN B09S8C5F98
This could be even better and cleaner than the ropes

By the way the second method that you mentioned: "capillary matting" looks more complicated for my case, isn't it?

And yes, I will need to find the right way to let the ropes pass into the tent but without letting light in. What do you mean with the airstones?
I am afraid I didn't get it.

As for the lights, they are connected to a wi-fi socket controlled by an app on my smartphone.
I will put a cam into the tent to check the enviroment into the tent from the other site of the planet.

Gotta be honest.. if @sballo ends up with useable product.. i will be amazed, and deeply impressed..
Im rooting for your ladies..

Thank you for rooting for my ladies. Well yes, it is just an experiment and my curiosity to see what happens is becoming stronger.
It is going to be an exciting experiment.

------------

I am still not 100% sure if I will give it a try. I am still considering a couple of things such as:
- positioning the tent close to the bathtub,
- what if my internet connection suddenly fails and I will not be able to switch the lights off via app any more?
- I still don't have a proper ventilation/exhausting system in my new tent.
- is it worth trying it?

I am still pondering...

Last edited:
Try not to over complicate things m8 ;)
(don't worry, every new grower does that lol)

I was thinking the pots could simply sit over the bath, the wicks in the bottom of the pots would dangle down into the feed below, and the plants will suck up what they want.
You could put a pump in the bath to pump some feed up, once or twice a day (with a timer), and the excess/run off would drip back down into bath again BUT if the pump or timer fails, or the hose or drip rings get blocked up, it's game over.
I've not seen a wicking system where the wick goes up and over like that ^^^ before. It seems overly complicated to me when you could just drop a wick down to a res below the pot.
The pipe around the wicking is just to help with the capillary action and stop the wicks from drying out by evaporation, with the wicks below the pot, but in the video it looks like there's some siphoning in the mix too but I have a suspicion you'll come back to find a wet rope and dry soil. I would want the end of the rope in contact with the soil to complete the circuit and not rely on the dripping action.

I'm not certain you actually need an airstone in the bath, to be honest. I was thinking it would keep the feed moving to keep it fresh, and oxygenated, and slow down the deterioration of the feed for you.

If your Wi-Fi thing for the light can't be set to switch on and off automatically I'd just get a normal timer for it.

@Hippie , thank you for your help!

I have been busy preparing for my trip to Europe. Besides, I have been trying to organise my experiment with the two plants.
I have just defoliated them before leaving them peacefully untouched till the end.
I bought this irrigation system

Amazon product ASIN B09S8C5F98
I tested it and it seems to do its job quite well. Hofepully it will stay reliable till the end. Especially the controlling via Wi-fi.

I have also bought a basin of 60 litres. (This amount should be enough)

I do not have any exhausting system in my tent. I wanted to buy the Marshydro kit but it will not arrive before I fly.
I was wondering if and how I could improvise such a ventilation system.
I will definitely put a fan before one of the opening of the the tent which blows air in. I have two more small fans. I will see what I can do.
I will also move the tent into the room where there is the air conditioning so that I can switch on the air conditioning from time to time especially when I see that it is too hot and humid.

One webcam is in the tent. A second one will be put outside.

It is definitely going to be an interesting experiment. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hi there, I was wondering to ask you what you would/could do to sort of "improvise" a ventilation system making sure to expel the hot air of the tent having only the following at your disposal:

three fans

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back