Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy I'm Not A Prepper

I got to know things about some of you in this thread that I didnt now prior. I greatly appreciate this !!!

There are many packable water filters available now days. The Sawyer squeeze mentioned by

Thedev, has a big following & is a good one for many applications. It does not work well for me here at home on the river because of the silt. It plugs, back flushing will help. Neither does it remove chemicals or heavy metals well. This issue is not unique to the Sawyer. The S2 is said to resolve this. My friends who use it carry a water bag to pull water & let the sediment settle before filtering. I've not used this one.​

I've a big number of water filters. Almost like a VAS problem. Anyways I choose the filter based on where I'm going & the water available.​

Keep in mind some filters are made for filtering clear, visibly clean water. No one packable filter will work well every where. Some are for the removal of viruses or protozoa & such but dont remove chemicals or heavy metals very well.​

The filter someone uses in the way back far reaching places is not going to need the same level of filtration a filter needs in a city or 4rth world shit hole. It's two totally different criteria.

Mom note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to know things about some of you in this thread that I didnt now prior. I greatly appreciate this !!!

There are many packable water filters available now days. The Sawyer squeeze mentioned by

Thedev, has a big following & is a good one for many applications. It does not work well for me here at home on the river because of the silt. It plugs, back flushing will help. Neither does it remove chemicals or heavy metals well. This issue is not unique to the Sawyer. The S2 is said to resolve this. My friends who use it carry a water bag to pull water & let the sediment settle before filtering. I've not used this one.​

I've a big number of water filters. Almost like a VAS problem. Anyways I choose the filter based on where I'm going & the water available.​

Keep in mind some filters are made for filtering clear, visibly clean water. No one packable filter will work well every where. Some are for the removal of viruses or protozoa & such but dont remove chemicals or heavy metals very well.​

The filter someone uses in the way back far reaching places is not going to need the same level of filtration a filter needs in a city or 4rth world shit hole. It's two totally different criteria.

Mom note: posts merged
Remember, we are talking about mad dash survival.....If your issue is silt ,try mechanical filtration (your bandana or a buff should work)....you may wanna add a Cnoc 2L bladder for the intake vessel, the wide mouth should be ideal for the task.
I don't like the sawyer micro or mini, classic is where is at...flow rate is top-notch. I have done 5k miles on a single saywer classic back in the day....
You can always drop a tablet or boil.....My Ti mug is for that purpose. From years of experience in the field, I came to value lightweight and fast more than anything else. Evasion is a wonderful survival tool, stealth is safety .
I have drinked some nasty desert cache water before, its not about been pretty and clear, it's about been treated and available.
Ideally Its about what works for you or your skills, get out there and try it over and over until you get it right.
Once you get it right, ask yourself: How can I make it lighter?
water kit.jpg

The items above can make 99.99% safe to drink, not pretty ...all this shit in the picture is enough for several years...
PS: Always carry a few tablets on Imodium in your Diddy bag

Last edited:
Full disclosure....I am a prepper, hehe.
I have worked as an Instructor before and have used my survival skills in the real world.I have earned 3 tabs and helped to create and test Modern IFaks for Meddac and others in NC.
In 2002 I finish the PCT solo and 2005ish I lived full time in AFG and the region, returning 2 more times.
Survival is about knowledge and fitness , I strongly encourage anyone to aquire more knowledge and less gear.

Dont trap yourself in a fortress of gear...

20210203_103918.jpg

Time in the field > Time on the internet

Last edited:

Thedev, please dont think I'm knocking your choice in any way. Friends have just left going far South. I helped get there gear sorted. Two of the five of them are packing Sawyers.​

My point about clean clear water is valid. The life of most any filter will be shortened dramatically the cloudier or siltier the water is. When talking about survival, you made a good point about being lite & fast. The Sawyer is without a doubt a fantastic ( maybe perfect For Some ) filter based on your description of how you use it.

Do keep in mind, some I'm close to, will not ever purchase the filter I use most. They just dont get along well with it.

This topic of water / survival has so many variations, mode of travel, terrain, friendly or not so friendly people ... it is hard to carry any one tool that works well in any given situation :) These are just my thoughts no overwhelming desire to be right.

Thedev, Thank You For Your Service !! You have a lot to offer here !​

Last edited:

Thedev, please dont think I'm knocking your choice in any way. Friends have just left going far South. I helped get there gear sorted. Two of the five of them are packing Sawyers.​

My point about clean clear water is valid. The life of most any filter will be shortened dramatically the cloudier or siltier the water is. When talking about survival, you made a good point about being lite & fast. The Sawyer is without a doubt a fantastic ( maybe perfect For Some ) filter based on your description of how you use it.

Do keep in mind, some I'm close to, will not ever purchase the filter I use most. They just dont get along well with it.

This topic of water / survival has so many variations, mode of travel, terrain, friendly or not so friendly people ... it is hard to carry any one tool that works well in any given situation :)
Exactly brother, test what works for you.....use it over and over.
I love taking about this....I truly enjoy.
Once you dialed it in post here, that way we can give you a proper shake down

@Jeff

saywer plus pills.jpg

144035462_10165362141380427_7441116593930446861_n.jpg

Thats the kinda of shit I am talking about here: 9.04 lbs (with a full cooking system), go cold soak and shave another 1 lbs
This is a 1 year evading and surviving UL kit.

I know this is probably too extreme for most, but this style has been great for me....remember, I am crazy after all.

current kit.jpg

Last edited:
I'm almost a prepper. I always have a good 6 months or more of food and other essentials put away. When Covid hit I still had 80 rolls of toilet paper in the basement and a freezer full of meat. My habit has been to stock up on essentials every fall in case I get snowed in or we have an ice storm and roads are down. I grow a garden and keep veggies in either cold storage or dehydrated and vacuum packed in mason jars. I heat with wood and have a propane furnace for when I'm ill or away or lazy. I cook on a gas stove that doesn't require electricity and can cook on the wood stove as well. My water comes from a well and I filter it for consumption through a Berkey filter which can also filter the water from the pond that's 50ft from the house in case I lose electricity and can't pump water. I grow various medicinal herbs on the property. One day I may add solar. If I had solar power I would consider myself self sufficient.

I'd love to hear how others have organized their households for self sufficiency.
I have RO h2o installed 20 year's ago! Tap water is scary?

20210205_114200.jpg

I just got this in , for free. Amex and best buy offer....if I had to buy one It would NOT be this model. I personally like PD everything.

This simple 20K Mah battery bank, when used properly will extend my cell phone life to around 22 days...I can also use it to run ALL my machines.

We work with FEMA in many roles, I usually drive into a disaster area as a consultant too.....If shit is hitting the fan we are usually there in a support role.

Fema SO center UNdisclose.jpg

These small portable banks are crucial to me, learn about them.
I do love the Jackary 1000 but its way too bulky IMO, I would only consider it mounted to a vehicle

Last edited:
plastic-bottle-bidet.jpg

Really awesome piece of kit that I have not tried yet......travel bided.
I think thats a much better solution that carrying shit tickets.
Feet and ass issues are the first to appear in the field.
Please dont forget to make a propper cat hole.
Leave no trace is respect.

I sometimes accidentally drink water when I clean my teeth. :thumbsup:
At a pinch, I could use water collected from my de-humidifier for water once my rainwater tank and spa run out (after all the beer, bourbon and coke that is).
I also live on a river and like most Tassie rivers it is great to drink.
A bit different for city folk though I suppose.
Edit. I have been drinking a bit of water, I have a water bottle at my Dab station for when a tickle hits the throat and I do not have an alternative to stop the coughs.
My wife knows I have a bad hangover if she catches me drinking water. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I sometimes accidentally drink water when I clean my teeth. :thumbsup:
At a pinch, I could use water collected from my de-humidifier for water once my rainwater tank and spa run out (after all the beer, bourbon and coke that is).
I also live on a river and like most Tassie rivers it is great to drink.
A bit different for city folk though I suppose.
Edit. I have been drinking a bit of water, I have a water bottle at my Dab station for when a tickle hits the throat and I do not have an alternative to stop the coughs.
My wife knows I have a bad hangover if she catches me drinking water. :thumbsup:
Waters gross eh...........fish fuck in it?
My favorite thing to drink is a ice cold glass of water.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back