Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law New York

OK, it's been a while since I've posted. I am now Legal in NYS for reasons no one ever wants to be legal :wink: But I was signed upon for free by my Dr and for shits and giggles I went to Etain, just to be in the system as a patient who bought something.
The first time, you have to make an appointment and talk to the pharmacist. While I was waiting, I watched other patients just come in and pick up their medicine. The first person got 2 bottles of pills and either an oil cart or the spray and his bill was over $700!! I watched other people shelling out between $200-500 while I was waiting for a couple of products.

When I went in to see the pharmacist, she asked me If had any experience with Cannabis, I told her I had over 50 years of experience and she was thrilled. She told me what they had and how much it cost and I just laughed-and she sympathized with me and told me she goes to Ca all the time to dispensaries and knows we are being ripped off.

An oil cart , that's about 20-25% THC was $190-i'm NOT kidding and that's the strongest thing they had!! we both lamented how pathetic the program is and how cost prohibitive it is for EVERYONE. There's a reason so few people have signed up-$250 for the Dr certificate and the price of meds and the quality is pathetic. I bought a sublingual spray-the high dose one $135 and and I may as well spray Windex in my mouth, the spray does NOTHING for me.

I went to visit the rellies in Ca at Xmas and signed myself up online for $40 and spent $700 and came home with 20 Carts that are between 60-70% THC.

I can't wait to see how abysmal the new products are, but I won't be buying any-i'm not an idiot. This crap might work if you've never used cannabis before or like edibles like the capsules-but I hate edibles .

We need total legalization not this stupid program:buenrollo:

OK, it's been a while since I've posted. I am now Legal in NYS for reasons no one ever wants to be legal :wink: But I was signed upon for free by my Dr and for shits and giggles I went to Etain, just to be in the system as a patient who bought something.
The first time, you have to make an appointment and talk to the pharmacist. While I was waiting, I watched other patients just come in and pick up their medicine. The first person got 2 bottles of pills and either an oil cart or the spray and his bill was over $700!! I watched other people shelling out between $200-500 while I was waiting for a couple of products.

When I went in to see the pharmacist, she asked me If had any experience with Cannabis, I told her I had over 50 years of experience and she was thrilled. She told me what they had and how much it cost and I just laughed-and she sympathized with me and told me she goes to Ca all the time to dispensaries and knows we are being ripped off.

An oil cart , that's about 20-25% THC was $190-i'm NOT kidding and that's the strongest thing they had!! we both lamented how pathetic the program is and how cost prohibitive it is for EVERYONE. There's a reason so few people have signed up-$250 for the Dr certificate and the price of meds and the quality is pathetic. I bought a sublingual spray-the high dose one $135 and and I may as well spray Windex in my mouth, the spray does NOTHING for me.

I went to visit the rellies in Ca at Xmas and signed myself up online for $40 and spent $700 and came home with 20 Carts that are between 60-70% THC.

I can't wait to see how abysmal the new products are, but I won't be buying any-i'm not an idiot. This crap might work if you've never used cannabis before or like edibles like the capsules-but I hate edibles .

We need total legalization not this stupid program:buenrollo:
Wow, that's awful. My state of MD just opened MMJ program and our .5 g carts (decent no wick, well made carts but still) are 75% - 80% range and are going for $90 right now (which is really the first month the program has been open at all). Prices will come down with competition as more cultivators and processors come online. But $190 for low quality oil....wow, NY's program is really insufficient and problematic. I know some folks on LI and they just stick with the black market for the reasons you outlined.

Wow, that's awful. My state of MD just opened MMJ program and our .5 g carts (decent no wick, well made carts but still) are 75% - 80% range and are going for $90 right now (which is really the first month the program has been open at all). Prices will come down with competition as more cultivators and processors come online. But $190 for low quality oil....wow, NY's program is really insufficient and problematic. I know some folks on LI and they just stick with the black market for the reasons you outlined.
Those are both insane, you AND @VaporsVaporizer .

(Please someone check my math)

.5g cart = 500mg total weight

500mg x .80 (80% THC) = 400mg THC

2g(2000mg total weight dry) of starting flower, 20%THC = 400mg THC

That's $45/gram for each starting gram of flower.

$45/gram x 28 grams = $1,260/ounce starting flower.

Ouch.

I had a dealer like that once...

Peace!

Those are both insane, you AND @VaporsVaporizer .

(Please someone check my math)

.5g cart = 500mg total weight

500mg x .80 (80% THC) = 400mg THC

2g(2000mg total weight dry) of starting flower, 20%THC = 400mg THC

That's $45/gram for each starting gram of flower.

$45/gram x 28 grams = $1,260/ounce starting flower.

Ouch.

I had a dealer like that once...

Peace!
Like I said...they are already coming down in price and here we are, 2-3 months into the program, and I'm seeing carts for $70 now, with a 10% veteran's discount its....well, not great but getting better.

I don't think anybody buys carts for price efficiency. I buy them for 2 am when I'm up and pacing around with my back...they are fast and easy and the carts I have gotten so far are high quality, wickless, Ccell type ceramic atomizer design tanks.

Cheers

"New York State still does not permit dispensaries to sell cannabis flower, as archaic as that may sound. Only edibles, tinctures, and other forms are permitted."

Not sure who wins the prize for fucking up a medical program worse, NY or FL.

Is Cannabis Legal in New York City? Well...it's Complicated

Isn’t Cannabis Legal in NYC Now?
In a word, no. For people without a state-issued medical cannabis card, cannabis possession and use are illegal in New York State, and in New York City.

In New York City, possession of cannabis has been decriminalized but not legalized. Possession of up to 25 grams of cannabis may result in a $100 violation (similar to a traffic ticket) for a first offense. A second offense is $200, a third offense is $250 and a possible 15-day stint in jail.

Possession of up to 25 grams (3/4 of an ounce) will get you a $100 ticket on a first offense. Public use can get you thrown in jail.
Public use (“burning”) is a misdemeanor punishable by a $250 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

However, there are different types of “illegality” in the city.

If you are a white person moving about the city with a small amount of cannabis, you’re unlikely to encounter any problems. If you are a person of color, it’s a different story. That’s offensive and outrageous, but it’s a fact. (See yesterday’s installment in this series for a further discussion of that problem.)

Note: New York’s decrim law applies only to cannabis flower. Possession of cannabis concentrates, up to a quarter-ounce, is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Possession of more than a quarter-ounce of a concentrate is a serious felony, and can result in 7 to 15 years in prison.

The folks at NORML keep meticulous track of state cannabis laws, and you can find their report on New York here. We’ll provide a small portion of that report below:

How are New Yorkers Obtaining it?
Same as it ever was. While New York State now licenses both patients and dispensaries in the medical cannabis field, cannabis products are still illegal for non-patients. However, there are thousands of people working in the illicit cannabis market. I do not suggest committing a crime in the city, I’m just acknowledging that they are there.

It’s not uncommon, for example, for a bicycle delivery service to sell a light eighth for $50. A former acquaintance of mine ran one out of the Lower East Side for years. He had high-profile corporate clients gainfully employed in the media and the financial sector. It was an open secret. Ironically, he was not busted for moving pounds, but for selling a joint to a buddy, openly, in the street. If he hadn’t been so careless he probably wouldn’t have been caught. He’s a white guy and he had a flashy criminal defense attorney in a Brooks Brothers suit, so he beat the charges.

RELATED STORY
Liberty, Jobs, and Freedom: How Cannabis Became a Conservative Issue

How Much Does it Cost?
About $10.75 a gram, according to a recent survey of cannabis prices in cities around the world. Prices may vary according to location, timing, and seller.

RELATED STORY
Cannabis Jobs Count: Legal Marijuana Supports 149,304 Americans

What’s the Deal With Medical?
New York State made a bold move in the late 1970s when it passed the Oliveri Statute, named after a resident with a terminal illness, which established a program to fund research into the medical applications of marijuana. Political meddling, however, ultimately undermined the program, leaving it without any actual funding.

New York State still does not permit dispensaries to sell cannabis flower. Only edibles, tinctures, and other forms are permitted.
In 2014, New York (including New York City) adopted the Compassionate Care Act, a highly restrictive medical marijuana program, one that initially had few physicians, patients, and permissible products.

Late last year, though, state authorities made substantial changes to the program intended to expand and improve access to medical cannabis. In particular, New York added qualifying conditions such as chronic pain and PTSD, made it easier for physicians to become licensed to certify patients, and awarded five more licenses to grow and dispense medical cannabis. (All licenses in New York are vertically integrated; dispensaries grow, process, and sell their own medical cannabis.) New York State still does not permit dispensaries to sell cannabis flower, as archaic as that may sound. Only edibles, tinctures, and other forms are permitted.

As states in the region—including New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont—expand their medical and adult-use programs, New York may follow suit. But so far it’s been the regional laggard, in part due to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s uneasiness with cannabis of any kind. Cuomo has historically taken a hardline prohibitionist position, and it’s one of many issues that have turned the liberal, activist wing of the state Democratic party against him.

And those unpopular stands may cost Cuomo when he runs for a third term later this year. Though he remains a non-unpopular two-term governor, political writers Edward-Isaac Dovere and Jimmy Vielkind reported earlier today that actress Cynthia Nixon, the former Sex and the City star, is considering a primary challenge when Cuomo aims for a third term later this year. She probably won’t be his only primary opponent.

Gov. Cuomo: Doesn’t like the issue. (AP Photo/Hans Pennink)
In his executive budget address on Jan. 16, Cuomo called for a state-funded study on the impact of marijuana legalization in the health, economic, and criminal justice realms. The study will also consider the potential impact of legalization in New York’s neighboring states and jurisdictions. Calling for more research into medical cannabis was a bold move 20 years ago, but today it’s widely seen as a retrograde stalling tactic. When politicians don’t want to deal with cannabis legalization, they suddenly emerge as advocates for cannabis science.

Legislation to legalize marijuana for adult use is pending in New Jersey, where recently inaugurated Gov. Phil Murphy supports regulated adult use, and NJ State Senate President Stephen Sweeney has pledged to legalize marijuana in Murphy’s first 100 days in office.

It’s unlikely that Cuomo wants New York to be the only state on the Eastern Seaboard to lose out on millions in tax revenue, or task the NYPD with stop-and-check patrols at the Holland Tunnel. But few expect him to pivot and embrace adult-use legalization in his third term—if he gets one.

RELATED STORY
CBD and the Brain: What Does It Do and What Is It Good For?

How Tough Is it to Get a Medical Card?
When it comes to obtaining a medical cannabis card, New York is definitely not as loose as California, but obtaining one is not particularly difficult.

Firstly, a patient must be evaluated by a licensed physician, who can certify them for medical cannabis use for a qualifying condition. Qualifying conditions include:

• ALS
  • Cancer
  • Chronic Pain
  • Epilepsy
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Huntington’s Disease
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Neuropathy, Parkinson’s Disease
  • PTSD
  • Spinal Cord Injury with Spasticity.
As has been the case in other states, when New York added chronic pain as a qualifying condition, the patient count increased dramatically. New York’s patient registry counted only 481 patients in Jan. 2016. One year later, there were 11,989. As of last week, that number had swelled to 46,971.

Cost remains an obstacle. The price of a medical evaluation and medical cannabis products are significantly higher in New York than in other states. People without health insurance, or with insurance that does not have a qualified evaluator in its network, will incur significant costs to obtain certification. Dr. David J. Ores, on the Lower East Side, has been instrumental in helping low-income patients obtain medical marijuana.

David Holland is the Executive Director of Empire State NORML. He’s seen the burden of the state’s flawed MMJ law—high costs, limited qualifying conditions, and few product choices—hit thousands of New York patients. “Under the Compassionate Care Act, the cost of medicine is too damn high, and the range of medical conditions covered under the act is disproportionately low,” he says.

RELATED STORY
Cannabinoids 101: What Makes Cannabis Medicine?

Are There Dispensaries in the City?
There are currently two dispensaries in the borough of Manhattan, Columbia Care NY, and Etain Health, with two more on the way. Columbia Care is located on 14th Street, about two blocks east of Union Square Park. The offices of Etain Health are on East 39th Street, just east of Lexington.

Queens and The Bronx each have a dispensary: Vireo Health and PharmaCannis, respectively. Four more dispensaries are expected to open in the outer boroughs in the coming months.

Are People Still Getting Arrested for Cannabis?
Yes. Way too many people. In 2017, 18,525 people were arrested for cannabis-related offenses in New York City. In New York State, in 2016, all narcotics arrests totaled 34,175. More than 23,000 of those state arrests were just for cannabis-related offenses.

Are Those Arrests Still Skewed by Race?
Absolutely. See this report for the latest.

It is not fair, its is not just.....but I have often thought of my being born a white, heterosexual, male in America is like getting the winning lottery ticket. Yes, cops are in low income, high crime areas more often....yes, these areas are more often populated by black and latino Americans (which brings up more questions about equal opportunity and access)...but the fact remains that minorities are arrested and incarcerated at a much higher rate for MJ than whites and, IMO, all low level MJ busts should stop now no matter the persons race.

NYPD Must Publish Marijuana Arrest Demographics Under New Bill
To address and rectify racism in drug arrests, the NYPD must publish marijuana arrest demographics.

Starting yesterday, the NYPD must publish marijuana arrest demographics under new bill. These statistics will be posted on the New York Police Department website.

The Significance of Publishing Arrest Demographics
The U.S. has a long history of racism in the form of over-policing Black and Latino communities. This bill aims to put a stop to racially motivated policing in New York, where recreational marijuana is still illegal.

At a hearing, the City Council heard evidence that substantiated discrimination against racial minorities in NYPD arrests. Today, 86 percent of people arrested for marijuana are Black or Latino. This doesn’t make sense when, according to the 2010 decennial census, only 52 percent of the population of New Yorker is Black or Latino.

A recent report found that racial minorities are ten times as likely as white people to be arrested for marijuana. The report also put forth that each ethnicity uses marijuana about the same amount, making the disparity in arrests even more striking.

NYPD spokesman Peter Donald says that the police show up where other illegal behavior occurs and where they receive complaints.

Donald explains, “We have an obligation—as the police—to be responsive. That’s our job. If we didn’t respond to complaints, like 911 calls, 311 calls or individual contacts from the community, we would be rightfully called to task.”

Who Supported The Bill
City Councilman Steve Levin, who was the prime sponsor for bill Intro. 605-A, calls the NYPD’s explanation “totally unacceptable.”

Levin also supports legalizing weed in New York. He believes that, in terms of low level marijuana arrests, “there should be zero.”

New York mayor Bill de Blasio ran on a platform of evening out the racial disparity in arrests. He described police racism as “unjust and wrong.”

Since the mayor’s election, marijuana arrests have decreased but the racial bias remains constant. De Blasio has not said whether he would sign the bill into law.

When presented with the findings of these reports, the New York City Council unanimously voted in favor of the bill.

More Details About The Report
The decision that the NYPD must publish marijuana arrest demographics under new bill will mean that everyone will have access to police arrest data.

Through the NYPD website, you’ll be able to read a quarterly report of low-level marijuana possession arrests and summonses. The report will divide the data by borough and precinct, and will take gender, race and age into account.

Bill Intro. 605-A will go into effect sixty days after the mayor ratifies it.

Final Hit: NYPD Must Publish Marijuana Arrest Demographics Under New Bill
This bill is a big step in holding the police accountable for racist discrepancies in low-level marijuana arrests. It also has citizens and lawmakers wondering why there are any marijuana arrests at all in New York City.

Though the mayor does not support legalization, two City Council Members, Speaker Corey Johnson and bill sponsor Peter Donald, have publicly supported marijuana legalization.

Perhaps proving the racist bias of marijuana inherent in marijuana policing is the first step towards legalization in New York. Perhaps it’s time to elect more weed-friendly politicians in the empire state.

“The facts have changed,” Cuomo said

The only fact that has changed is that Cuomo now has a Democrat party primary challenger, Cynthia Nixon, who is full bore in favor of full legalization. The only thing that EVER gets our current breed of politicians attention is threats to their own personal ambitions.

Its hard to see how our politicians can move the bar even lower, but I'm sure that they will show us. sigh.

Cuomo lays groundwork for legalizing marijuana

Gov. Andrew Cuomo laid the groundwork Thursday for legalizing marijuana in New York, saying neighboring states already have, or are about to, so “for all intents and purposes it is going to be here anyway.”

The governor’s comments were his strongest to date in favor of legalization and came just a day after Democratic rival Cynthia Nixon charged that current marijuana laws discriminate against minorities.

“The facts have changed,” Cuomo said during a stop in Brooklyn to spotlight new subway equipment.

“You have states that have legalized it now…. It is no longer a question of legal or illegal. It’s legal in Massachusetts. It may be legal in New Jersey. Which means for all intents and purposes it’s going to be here anyway.”

The governor went on to say the question now is “do you not legalize it when it is legal 10 miles from both sides of your border,” assuming the Garden State becomes the ninth in the nation to make recreational pot legally available. It is also legal in Washington, DC.

Nixon put Cuomo on the defensive this week, when she released a campaign video calling for the legalization of pot as a matter of racial justice.

“There are a lot of good reasons for legalizing marijuana, but for me, it comes down to this: We have to stop putting people of color in jail for something that white people do with impunity,” the actress said in the video.

Cuomo appointed a commission to study the issue earlier this year.

He responded to Nixon by pointing to that commission. “Let’s get the facts and make a decision based on the facts,’” he said on Long Island Wednesday. “We now have states that have legalized marijuana, let’s look at the facts and see what happened there.”

Twenty-four hours later, in Brooklyn, the governor went a lot further.

“The situation has changed dramatically with marijuana,” he said.

Nixon plans to challenge Cuomo in September’s Democratic primary.

Last edited:
"Cuomo was asked if New York is a little behind other states on this issue.......No, I think we are actually ahead on it," he said.

These guys can look you right in the eye and tell you that a black wall is white and never blush. The only place NY is ahead on MJ legalization is perhaps Siberia (or name the police state of your choice). I'm sure that all of the people still getting locked up for weed in NY are heartened by the Cuomo's concern...fuck NOT!!

A look at how Cuomo has responded to calls to legalize marijuana

In a video released online Wednesday morning, Cynthia Nixon got fired up about legalizing marijuana:

"In 2018, in a blue state like New York, marijuana shouldn't even be an issue," the Democratic candidate for governor said. "If there was more political courage coming out of Albany, we would have done this a long time ago."

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has previously opposed full legalization. Just last year, he called marijuana a "gateway drug."

At an unrelated event on Long Island, Cuomo was asked if New York is a little behind other states on this issue.

"No, I think we are actually ahead on it," he said. "We announced months ago that we were going to study the legalization issue precisely for that reason."

In January, Cuomo announced the state would authorize a study as part of the budget, but funding for that study was left out. In addition, the study wasn't to look at legalizing marijuana in New York, but how legalization in neighboring states could affect New York's economy.

The Cuomo Administration now says its own Department of Health will study the issue and report back in the fall.

"I'm trying to de-politicize the issue and say let's get the facts. We now have states that have legalized marijuana," the governor said.

Cuomo did sign off on a medical marijuana program for New York State in 2014, but he often referred to that program as the most restrictive in the nation. And it is: the state's medical marijuana program does not even allow the drug to be smoked.

And despite Cuomo's claims, New York is not actually ahead of other states on the issue. Nine other states and the District of Columbia have already legalized recreational use of the drug. Some on the left consider legalization a key progressive issue.

"There are a lot of good reasons for legalizing marijuana. But for me, it comes down to this: We have to stop putting people of color in jail for something that white people do with impunity," Nixon said in her online video.

Last year, Cuomo did propose for decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, but it died in the state legislature.

Public sentiment is quickly changing on this issue; New York City First Lady Chirlane McCray recently called for full legalization, and on Wednesday former House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican, joined a company that distributes cannabis.

But so far it’s been the regional laggard, in part due to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s uneasiness with cannabis of any kind. Cuomo has historically taken a hardline prohibitionist position, and it’s one of many issues that have turned the liberal, activist wing of the state Democratic party against him.

Apologies to the Moderators

He responded to Nixon by pointing to that commission. “Let’s get the facts and make a decision based on the facts,’” he said on Long Island Wednesday. “We now have states that have legalized marijuana, let’s look at the facts and see what happened there.”

and anyone this post offends

"Cuomo was asked if New York is a little behind other states on this issue.......No, I think we are actually ahead on it," he said.

not sure about the rules, but

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has previously opposed full legalization. Just last year, he called marijuana a "gateway drug."

FUCK Cuomo!

Restrictive? No, its a fucking joke, is what it is and the people of NY deserve better. But just look to NY's Governor, Cuomo. This fine example of American representative politics wouldn't do shit for MMJ until he discovered that he now has a Democratic primary challenger who is making hay off of the injustice of MJ arrest/incarcerations and have full throated called for full legalization. NOW, Mr Cuomo has finally seen the light .

We have real issues in this country wrt to democrat representation of the electorate's will, IMO.

Restrictive medical marijuana program pushes New York patients to opioids

New York’s Compassionate Care Act went into effect in January of 2016 and provided much needed holistic relief to thousands of patients. However as our neighbors in the tri-state area look to legalize adult-use marijuana, our state’s medical program has barely gotten off the ground.

As a leading cannabis-certified physician in the New York metropolitan area, I’ve been at the forefront of treating debilitating conditions with cannabis and have seen the life-changing results that its thoughtful and judicious use can provide. Prescription marijuana medication has helped my

patients safely cope with a variety of serious ailments, such as cancer, AIDS, chronic pain and inflammatory bowel disease.

It’s time for New York to join the 21st Century and pass the pending legislation that would expand the current medical cannabis law, increase patient access and allow our responsible doctors to use their judgment in treating the many conditions that could be helped by cannabis.

A large body of research proves that cannabis is an effective tool in safely treating ailments that are now being treated with opioids. As a doctor, I’ve seen the results. Some 9,000 New Yorkers overdosed on opioids last year — a nearly threefold increase from a decade ago. A University of Michigan study finds that patients using medical marijuana to control chronic pain reported a 64 percent reduction in their use of opioids. Harvard researchers have found that the ”use of marijuana for chronic pain is supported by high quality evidence.” Now is the time to make New York’s medical marijuana policy world class.

There are only 22 dispensaries that are currently operating in New York. Florida is about the same size and allows for 425 dispensaries. Patients suffering from severe conditions do not have enough access to the medicine they are legally entitled to. I am urging lawmakers to consider the unfairness of this situation.

All New Yorkers suffering from cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, Huntington's disease, post-traumatic stress disorder or chronic pain should have access to the analgesic and other therapeutic qualities of cannabis.

It’s disturbing that many of our elected officials have fallen so out of touch with the times. Right now, 20 percent of Americans live in a state with legal marijuana. Some 64 percent of Americans approve of legalized marijuana, an issue that crosses party lines. Recent news out of Albany suggests that many government officials and candidates are changing their mind on recreational marijuana.

Before New York considers that, I urge Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Legislature to consider the health of our state’s most needy residents. Show some compassion and expand and enhance the Compassionate Care Act.

The writer, a New Rochelle resident, is a White Plains-based physician.

Manhattan DA says he’ll stop prosecuting pot possession

NEW YORK (AP) — Faced with fresh evidence of the racial disparity in marijuana enforcement across New York City, Manhattan’s district attorney said Tuesday he will largely stop prosecuting people for possessing or smoking marijuana.

The move by District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. came the same day that Mayor Bill de Blasio promised that the city’s police department would overhaul its marijuana enforcement policies in the next 30 days. Brooklyn’s district attorney also said he would scale back prosecutions.

“We must and we will end unnecessary arrests and end disparity in enforcement,” de Blasio said at a conference of the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C.

Vance said that his office will stop prosecuting marijuana possession and smoking cases starting Aug. 1 except for a few cases involving “demonstrated public safety concerns.”

The change, he said, would reduce marijuana prosecutions in the borough from roughly 5,000 per year to about 200.

“The dual mission of the Manhattan D.A.’s office is a safer New York and a more equal justice system,” he said in a statement. “The ongoing arrest and criminal prosecution of predominantly black and brown New Yorkers for smoking marijuana serves neither of these goals.”

Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said his office would work with the police and the mayor’s office to pinpoint the “the very small number” of marijuana-possession cases that should be prosecuted because of public safety concerns.

The issue of marijuana arrests was highlighted by a New York Times report on the persistent racial gap in marijuana arrests.

The Times reported that blacks in the city are eight times more likely to be arrested on low-level marijuana charges as whites and that the difference cannot entirely be attributed to more residents in predominantly black neighborhoods calling police to complain about marijuana.

Federal statistics show similar rates of marijuana use among whites, blacks and Hispanics, but about 87 percent of people arrested for pot in New York City are black or Hispanic.

Marijuana arrests have declined overall since de Blasio, a Democrat, took office in 2014.

De Blasio announced in November 2014 that the police would start giving many people court summonses for marijuana instead of arresting them.

But the mayor said this week that more needs to be done to reduce marijuana arrests and target the racial disparity in enforcement.

“We have got to continue to drive down the arrests,” he said Monday on TV station NY1. “We’ve got to look at other policy changes that will help us do that. I don’t accept disparity. I really don’t.”

De Blasio did not provide any details of what the policy changes might entail.

Marijuana is illegal in New York state except for medical use on a strictly regulated basis, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo signaled last month that the time might be right to consider loosening statewide restrictions.

“The facts have changed,” Cuomo said. “You have states that have legalized it now. It is no longer a question of legal or illegal.”

Cuomo spoke after his Democratic primary opponent, actress Cynthia Nixon, called for the legalization of marijuana as a matter of racial justice. “We have to stop putting people of color in jail for something that white people do with impunity,” Nixon said in a campaign video.

Another politician leading from behind. "On a quest to filfill his promise.....". Well, what the fuck have you been doing for the last two years and why is this NOW different. What about the people who were arrested while you were occupied otherwise, eh?

Bill De Blasio Tells NYPD To Stop Arresting People For Smoking Pot On The Street

The recommendation comes days after the Manhattan district attorney pledged to stop prosecuting low-level marijuana cases.

On a quest to fulfill his promise to end unnecessary arrests and racial disparity in marijuana enforcement, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has issued a new request to the city’s police: Stop arresting people for smoking marijuana in public.

Over the weekend, De Blasio told the New York City Police Department to issue summonses to pot smokers who were caught lighting up in public spaces instead of arresting them, reported CNN.

5b03c3f1200000f202b92332.jpeg

Owen Hoffmann via Getty Images
New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio’s request for police to stop arresting people who smoke marijuana in public marks the latest milestone in what observers have described as a striking shift in the city’s marijuana enforcement policy.
About 17,880 people were arrested in the city last year for low-level marijuana possession, including smoking in public. A startling 86 percent of those arrested were people of color.

As The Guardian noted, De Blasio’s no-arrest recommendation won’t have an immediate impact on NYPD policy but is expected to influence a 30-day review of marijuana enforcement procedures currently underway at the NYPD. Phil Walzak, the department’s deputy commissioner of public information, told CNN that the issue is “certainly part of the review.”

“The working group is reviewing possession and public smoking of marijuana to ensure enforcement is consistent with the values of fairness and trust, while also promoting public safety and addressing community concerns,” Walzak said.

De Blasio’s request marks the latest milestone in what observers have described as a striking shift in marijuana enforcement policy in New York City ― one sparked by a growing acknowledgment of the troubling racial gap in weed-related arrests. City-wide, black people were arrested on low-level marijuana charges at eight times the rate of white people over the past three years, according to a New York Times analysis published last week. In Manhattan, the racial gap was even more striking; black people were arrested on marijuana charges at 15 times the rate of white people.

Subscribe to the Politics email.
How will Trump's administration impact you?

Last week, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. pledged to stop prosecuting marijuana possession or smoking cases.

“The dual mission of the Manhattan D.A.’s Office is a safer New York and a more equal justice system,” Vance said in a press release announcing the policy change. “The ongoing arrest and criminal prosecution of predominantly black and brown New Yorkers for smoking marijuana serves neither of these goals.”

A day later, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said his office planned to reduce prosecution of low-level marijuana cases as well.

The policy shift also appears to be spurred by an expectation of impending legalization. De Blasio, one of the few New York politicians who has voiced opposition to legalizing weed, announced that he will put together a task force to prepare the city for when marijuana is legalized. De Blasio said Monday that it’s “likely inevitable” that New York state will legalize the drug.

"top law enforcement officials are not happy about the approach. "You can’t just circumvent the law... If you want to not have enforcement of arrests, then you need to change the law," said one. "

I don't actually disagree with this. LEO job is to enforce the law. Legislators make the law. The cops shouldn't be put in the middle. The politicians need to do their fucking job (just like the Patriots, yeah? LOL)

Mayor, Police Union Split on Summons for Marijuana
Head of sergeants union says mayor’s approach would put officers in a difficult position

“It’s unfair to have two sets of rules — one for New York City and another for Long Island,” Epstein said. “We need statewide policy.”

Yep, and its only Cynthia Nixon's boot up Cuomo's ass that moved him on this subject at all. Love watching the roaches scurry when the lights come on.

Long Island Law Enforcers Won't Follow NYC Lead on Weed
Pot smokers on Long Island shouldn’t expect a pass like their New York City counterparts.

Michael O'Keeffe and Robert Brodsky
May 21, 2018
Newsday

NEW YORK -- Pot smokers on Long Island shouldn’t expect a pass like their New York City counterparts.

Nassau and Suffolk law-enforcement officials said they intend to keep arresting low-level marijuana offenders even though the city is backing off because of a wide racial gap in arrests.

The counties will change direction only if Albany changes the law to address the disproportional impact on minorities. Like the city, Long Island’s arrest rates for marijuana possession are far higher for African-Americans and Hispanics, records show.

For Nassau and Suffolk police commissioners, the decision to stand firm on making marijuana arrests is clear-cut: It’s their job.

“The law in place is the law we enforce,” Nassau’s Patrick Ryder said in a statement.

“The Suffolk County Police Department is responsible for enforcing all laws on the books and will continue to carry out that responsibility by arresting people who violate the law,” Commissioner Geraldine Hart said.

Practicality is also a consideration for the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office, which works with a patchwork of law enforcement agencies.

“Unlike New York City, Nassau has not only our countywide police department, but also many municipal departments and, absent legislative direction, uniform policymaking is challenging,” said spokesman Brendan Brosh.

Suffolk District Attorney Timothy Sini didn’t return requests for comment.

Last week, the Manhattan and Brooklyn district attorneys said they would stop prosecuting possession and smoking violations in the interest of fairness.

“The dual mission of the Manhattan DA’s office is a safer New York and a more equal justice system,” District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. said. “The ongoing arrest and criminal prosecution of predominantly black and brown New Yorkers for smoking marijuana serves neither of these goals.”

The policy pivot reflects New York City’s growing awareness of racial disparity in marijuana arrests: African-Americans and Hispanics accounted for 86 percent of the arrests for marijuana possession, records show. Mayor Bill de Blasio cited the numbers Tuesday when he announced the NYPD would overhaul its enforcement policies in 30 days.

On Long Island, arrest rates for marijuana possession are four times higher for minorities than for whites — five arrests for 10,000 whites and 20 arrests for 10,000 nonwhites, records show.

The District of Columbia and nine states, including Massachusetts and Vermont in the Northeast, have already legalized recreational marijuana use and the movement is gaining momentum in New York.

About a month ago, Democrat Cynthia Nixon made marijuana legalization the top policy priority in her bid to unseat Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. She cited the racial disparity in prosecutions.

After Nixon’s announcement, Cuomo said his administration would produce a study on legalization this month. The governor previously called marijuana a “gateway” drug and opposed legalization, but since has softened his stance.

Several lawmakers in Albany support a bill stuck in committee and some rank-and-file Democrats are calling for the state party to adopt a pro-legalization stance at its convention Wednesday and Thursday in Uniondale.

To Garden City defense attorney Steve Epstein, the county-by-county approach to enforcement is deeply flawed.

“It’s unfair to have two sets of rules — one for New York City and another for Long Island,” Epstein said. “We need statewide policy.”

Relaxed enforcement has the support of Jeffrey Reynolds, an addiction expert and president of the Mineola-based Family and Children’s Association.

Reynolds would like to see any savings from fewer marijuana arrests poured into drug education and prevention programs.

“We need a comprehensive approach where we address the public health risks of marijuana without arresting people for holding a dime bag,” Reynolds said.

Melissa Moore of the Drug Policy Alliance welcomes New York City’s enforcement retreat but called it a “bandage on a gaping hole” that fails to permanently remedy racial disparities in low-level drug arrests.

Even misdemeanor arrests for marijuana possession can keep young people from getting jobs or housing. A conviction could lead to the revocation of a student loan or could be considered a violation of immigration status, said Moore, the alliance’s deputy state director.

“This is a systematic issue which requires a systematic solution,” she said.

With Yancey Roy

Arrests for marijuana possession and sales

Year Nassau Suffolk

2016 1,319 1,393

2015 905 1,387

2014 920 1,518

2013 922 1,790

2012 766 1,869

Source: State Division of Criminal Justice Services

By Michael O’Keeffe and Robert Brodsky michael.okeeffe@newsday.com, robert.brodsky@newsday.com

Michael O'Keeffe covers Suffolk County police and other Long Island law-enforcement agencies. He is an award-winning journalist and the co-author of two books, "The Card" and "American Icon."

Cuomo manipulative, self-seeking, empty suit without a core principle to his name (and is a jerk off to boot...and actually I it seems to run in the family.)

""Shocking: Andrew Cuomo, who's sprinting to the left because he's terrified of Cynthia Nixon"

This ^^ is the ONLY reason Cuomo is moving on legal MJ and the election will be over before the next legislative session so we will see how committed the new Governor will be, no matter who it is.

Study recommends New York legalize recreational marijuana
N.Y. would become 10th state to legalize marijuana if governor, lawmakers act

A study ordered by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recommends that the state legalize and regulate marijuana for recreational, adult use, the state's top health official announced Monday.

That study has not been released to the public yet, but will be "soon," said state Health Commissioner Howard Zucker, who revealed the news Monday morning to a small group of reporters in Brooklyn.

In the same meeting, he announced the state would also be expanding its medical marijuana program to patients on prescription opioids — a move designed to reduce reliance on highly addictive opioids as New York battles rising overdose rates amid a nationwide opioid epidemic.

But that news was quickly overshadowed by his announcement about the recreational marijuana study, which was undertaken by the state Health Department on Cuomo's orders in January. The Democratic governor has in recent months shifted his public stance on marijuana, a drug he once lambasted as a "gateway" to other, more dangerous drugs. In January, citing legalization in neighboring states, he said "facts have changed" on marijuana and that, as a result, state policy may have to, as well.

The state-led study examined the effect that legalization in neighboring states would have on New York, as well as the impact legalization here might have on public health, safety and the economy. It also looked at how recreational marijuana would be taxed, where it would be grown, how it would be distributed, the age of use, and the potential for drugged driving.

"There's a lot of variables there," Zucker said Monday. "We weighed them. We looked at the pros, we looked at the cons. And when we were done we realized that the pros outweigh the cons."

Should the governor and lawmakers act favorably on the study's recommendation, New York would be the 10th state to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Nine states, as well as Washington, D.C., have legalized recreational use of the drug, including nearby Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine. New Jersey is also exploring the possibility, and Canada is on the verge of legalization.

With just two days left of the 2018 state legislative session, however, it's highly unlikely legalization will occur in New York this year.

For starters, the report itself hasn't even been finalized. Zucker said he is still "crossing t's and dotting i's" before he sends a final report to the governor. Asked Monday what its next steps would be, Cuomo's office said only: "We will review the report when we receive it."

Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples-Stokes, who sponsored a bill with Sen. Liz Krueger to legalize recreational use among adults in New York, told the Times Union that although the Democrat-led Assembly is likely to pass her bill, it's highly unlikely it will make it to the floor in the final jam-packed days of session.

"To do an eight to nine hour debate, first in conference then on the floor — I'm not counting on that happening," she said. "But if it does I can tell you that I'll be ready."

By all appearances, the Republican-led Senate remains firmly against legal, recreational marijuana use, though it does support expanding the state's medical marijuana program as a way to wean people off opioids.

"With only two days left in the legislative session our focus is on issues related to affordability, opportunity and security, and working with Senator (George) Amedore and others to utilize medical marijuana as an alternative to heroin and opioids," said Senate GOP spokesman Scott Reif, about a bill the Senate passed Monday that would allow the use of medical marijuana for the treatment of substance use disorder or as an alternative to opioids for the treatment of pain.

"We will take a look at the (DOH) report whenever it's made available to the public but our focus is on helping the people who really need it," Reif added.

Amedore, a Republican, agreed, adding that legalizing marijuana for anything beyond medical use is "a bridge too far."

"It's a gateway drug," he said. "We all know that."

Whether it happens this year or not, legalization will undoubtedly come up in this year's governor's race.

Actress Cynthia Nixon, a Democratic rival of Cuomo's, campaigned on the issue, saying it presents an opportunity for social justice reform and reinvestment in communities of color that were hard hit by the war on drugs.

Stephanie Miner, the former Democratic mayor of Syracuse who joined the race Monday, has also publicly expressed support for marijuana legalization.

A campaign spokesperson for Republican candidate Marc Molinaro, meanwhile, released a statement Monday couching Zucker's announcement as political maneuvering by the governor.

"Shocking: Andrew Cuomo, who's sprinting to the left because he's terrified of Cynthia Nixon and, now, Stephanie Miner, just had his hand-picked 'Doogie Howser' rubber stamp another decision that has less to do with science and everything to do with politics," said spokeswoman Katy Delgado.

"There are serious questions to be answered about marijuana; they should be answered by serious people without a political agenda," she added.

"as neighboring states approve legalization, tax-hungry New York lawmakers will be jonesing for the revenue that comes from legalized weed."

That and NY is very blue and the Democrats are tripping over themselves to move toward what they feel is the left on issues and that includes MJ. So, MJ will get carried along. I don't credit these politicians with any virture, but I'll personally take any vote for legalization we can get, without regard for the underlying motives.

Insiders predict New York will soon make marijuana legal

Legal pot will come to New York, cannabis industry experts predict, noting the economic benefits to states and cities.

see also
New York could make some serious green on legalized pot

Indeed, it is inevitable, they add, because, as neighboring states approve legalization, tax-hungry New York lawmakers will be jonesing for the revenue that comes from legalized weed.
Indeed, legal pot, New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer said in a recent report, could generate billions in revenue.

The comptroller “estimates the potential market for adult-use marijuana in New York state at roughly $3.1 billion, including approximately $1.1 billion in New York City,” Stringer wrote.

And that, Stringer wrote, could mean “$436 million annually in new tax revenue from legal marijuana sales, while New York City could garner as much as $335 million.”

A cannabis industry observer says New York has been slow to adopt legalization and that it could cost them in the short term.

“States that have legalized and regulated cannabis use will see a boom in jobs created over the next several years,” writes Tom Adams, an Arcview market research manager and principal analyst for BD Analytics.

Marijuana business analysts estimate that legal cannabis has had a $40 billion economic impact in the US.

However, for now, New York state permits only the limited use of medical marijuana.

Full legalization bills are now before the New York Legislature. However, legislative sources now privately say they are “unlikely” to pass this session.

Stringer, in a statement to The Post, strongly supports legalization.

“The prosecution of marijuana-related crimes has had a devastating and disproportionate impact on black and Hispanic communities for far too long,” Stringer said.

Sales of legal pot will contribute to “the equivalent of 414,000 full-time jobs by the year 2021,” Arcview’s Adams predicts.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-24_16-50-11.gif
    upload_2018-6-24_16-50-11.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 146
Cuomo, there is only ONE reason and ONE reason only you are doing ANYTHING on MJ legalization.........and her name is Cynthia Dixon.

Cuomo would sell his grandmother down the river for a vote.

New York governor announces further action to support medical marijuana and industrial hemp

New York’s Governor issued the following press release earlier this week:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced further action to support the development of medical marijuana and industrial hemp businesses in New York, directing the Department of Financial Services to provide guidance to support the safe and sound provision of banking services for these businesses.

The DFS guidance issued today encourages New York State chartered banks and credit unions to consider establishing banking relationships with medical marijuana-related businesses that are operating in New York in full compliance with all applicable New York State laws and regulations, including the New York Compassionate Care Act, and the applicable regulations and requirements of the New York State Department of Health.

Today’s guidance also encourages New York State-chartered banks and credit unions to support the development of industrial hemp businesses statewide, continuing this significant economic development goal of New York State.

“The ability to establish a banking relationship is a challenge that legal industries face unlike no other,” Governor Cuomo said. “As the federal government continues to sow discord surrounding the medical marijuana and industrial hemp businesses, New York has made significant progress in creating a supportive economic development and regulatory landscape for these companies.”

“While the federal government ignores the reality of the benefits of medical marijuana and industrial hemp, New York has supported the development of the industry and advanced our agricultural economy,” said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul. “We’re cutting the red tape and removing regulatory barriers to support businesses in the legal cannabis industry. Today’s action to encourage banking relationships will go a long way to assist this emerging sector of our economy.”

Healthcare and patient care are fields that are traditionally regulated by states. In recognition of the demonstrable medical benefits of marijuana, New York has taken a compassionate approach to patient care. The state has considered the findings of respected medical practitioners and researchers, as well as the reports of patients in need of medical marijuana’s unique properties, in enacting legislation that allows treatment options to seriously ill individuals.

The New York Compassionate Care Act signed by Governor Cuomo in 2014 provides patients suffering debilitating symptoms and diseases access to medical marijuana, under strict requirements regulated by the Department of Health.

In addition, under Governor Cuomo, New York has recognized the economic development opportunity for farmers and businesses across the state, by permitting the cultivation of industrial hemp. Governor Cuomo signed legislation in 2017 to amend New York law to ensure that industrial hemp will be considered an agricultural product and that it will be treated the same way as other crops and seed.

The Department of Financial Services is aware that the unsettled environment at the federal level has discouraged institutions from providing financial services to companies with medical marijuana or industrial hemp operations. Because marijuana currently is still listed on Schedule I under the Federal Controlled Substances Act, medical marijuana and industrial hemp-related businesses operating in accordance with New York State laws and regulations continue to have difficulty establishing banking relationships at regulated financial institutions.

In the guidance issued today, DFS advised New York’s chartered institutions that it will not impose any regulatory action on any New York State chartered bank or credit union for establishing a banking relationship with a medical marijuana-related business that operates a compliant business in New York, as long as the New York State chartered bank or credit union complies with the requirements of:

• The 2014 Financial Crimes Enforcement Network guidance;
  • The guidance and priorities set forth in the Department of Justice’s 2013 memorandum from Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole; and
  • Is subject to the institution’s own evaluation of the risks associated with offering products and services and its ability and systems to effectively manage those risks – as all DFS-regulated institutions do with regard to all their banking relationships.
Financial Services Superintendent Maria T. Vullo said, “DFS stands ready to work with our chartered institutions to assist them in moving forward towards helping New York’s medical marijuana and industrial hemp businesses operate in a safe and sound manner. New York’s financial institutions should provide banking services to these legal businesses, in accordance with established principles and procedures, including customer due diligence and transaction monitoring. In this way, New York’s businesses can operate more effectively under the law to serve New Yorkers.”

New York law permits the cultivation of industrial hemp and federal law permits the growing and cultivation of industrial hemp for certain limited research purposes. As such, the DFS guidance encourages New York State-chartered banks and credit unions to support this development in the State of New York.

The DFS guidance provides that any institution that seeks to provide financial services to entities that are or wish to be engaged in the growing or cultivation of industrial hemp should assess and verify the eligibility and authority of the entity for participation in a research program, as authorized under the New York Agriculture and Markets Law. As with any other lending activity, DFS’s guidance says that banking institutions should establish and conduct appropriate underwriting and customer due diligence, including verification of eligibility of a research program and other requirements of federal and New York State law.

These requirements are consistent with requirements for other lawful businesses to obtain banking relationships, and for financial institutions to operate in a safe and sound manner.

A copy of the guidance can be found here.

Cuomo, there is only ONE reason and ONE reason only you are doing ANYTHING on MJ legalization.........and her name is Cynthia Dixon.

Cuomo would sell his grandmother down the river for a vote.
It would be great if these two debated openly about there opponents PRO pot policy being weak and why. :dog: Imagine, two people running for Gov and the big debate topic is who is kinder to this than the other canidate. -> :weed:

I have been writing to the Gov and reps about the Medical side as it played out over time. I think Cuomo was moving on the profit motive and was a fence sitter for too long to take cred. However several reps have reversed their decision and shored up only very recently. :thinker:The Guv said he'd wait for some reports to come in. And several have come in. So......

I say keep the pressure on Cuomo to reform early before the proposed 2019 and the next election. :smackdown: Regardless of what political animal he is.
:peace:

New York state health officials conclude ‘legalize it’

One of the nation’s most powerful, prosperous, and populous states is laying the groundwork to end cannabis prohibition.

On Friday, July 13, New York State Health Commissioner Howard Zucker released a 75-page Marijuana Legalization Impact Assessment, concluding that “the positive effects of a regulated marijuana market in [New York State] outweigh the potential negative impacts.”

Drawing on findings from nine other legal-cannabis states as well as medical marijuana in 29 states, the assessment made about a dozen sweeping conclusions that advance the argument for cannabis regulation and taxation in the Empire State. Among them:

• “Marijuana regulation could generate long-term cost savings.”
  • “Changes in overall patterns of use are not likely to be significant.”
  • “The majority of credible evidence suggests legalization of marijuana has no or minimal impact on use by youth.”
  • “Regulating marijuana reduces risks and improves quality control and consumer protection.”
  • “There has been no increase in violent crime or property crime rates around medical marijuana dispensaries.”
  • “Marijuana may reduce opioid deaths and opioid prescribing.”
  • “Marijuana has intrinsic health benefits and risks.”
  • “There is little evidence that marijuana use is significantly or causally associated with more common mental illnesses (such as mild-tomoderate depression or anxiety) or other adverse outcomes (such as suicide) in the general population.”
Differing Opinions, Same Facts
New York has almost 60,000 patients enrolled in its medical marijuana program who so far have experienced just 27 reported adverse effects and no reported deaths, Zucker found.

The assessment, ordered by Gov. Andrew Cuomo in January, will act as a common set of facts lawmakers can draw from during a potential 2019 legalization drive in the state Legislature, said Chris Alexander, policy coordinator for the New York office of the Drug Policy Alliance. That group worked to pass decriminalization as well as medical marijuana measures in New York, which does not allow citizen initiatives.

“It refutes misinformation about what’s happening in other legal states with regard to underage use, traffic fatalities, mental health impacts, and all that stuff. The report is going to make sure when we get to the point where we’re ready to talk about this, we have the same facts,” he said.

The report has historical echoes, too. New York state health officials recommended against cannabis prohibition in the now-prescient LaGuardia Report — which came out in 1939, just as prohibition was gaining speed.

With legalization polling at more than 60% in New York, real reform could happen not in five years, but beginning in January when the Legislature reconvenes.

Story Continues Below

“Next year is feeling more and more real,” Alexander said.

New York State might have a $3.5 billion cannabis underground market, the assessment found. Legalizing the botanical drug could generate anywhere from $248 million to $667 million per year in tax revenue, it concluded.

Clarity on Drugged Driving
The report also adds some much-needed clarity on the issue of drugged driving, finding that:

“Conclusions cannot be drawn from the existing research on the impact of marijuana use on motor vehicle traffic crashes. … However, three years after the legalization of regulated marijuana in Colorado, motor vehicle crash rates overall were not statistically different, although this evidence is still preliminary. … A study comparing motor vehicle-related fatalities in Washington and Colorado to eight similar states found that three years after marijuana legalization, changes in motor vehicle fatality rates were not statistically different from those in similar states without regulated marijuana.”

The report notes that the lack of historical data makes definitive conclusions unreliable.

“Few states collected pre-legalization baseline data to use as a comparator for evaluation purposes. States that have regulated marijuana have an inability to conclusively state the role that marijuana has played in traffic safety. Data from the National Highway Transportation Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System on crashes contain the caveats that they cannot be reliably compared across or within jurisdictions or across years.”

And the report makes clear that having cannabis byproducts in one’s blood does not make that person impaired.

“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety have both made the distinction that unlike alcohol, presence of THC in an individual’s blood stream does not equate to impairment.”

Weed War A Minority War
The report also notes cannabis prohibition’s toll on the citizens it’s designed to protect, particularly black communities and other people of color.

“Criminalization of marijuana has not curbed marijuana use despite the commitment of significant law enforcement resources,” the report states. “Marijuana prohibition results in disproportionate criminalization of certain racial and ethnic groups.”

Nine out of 10 New York City marijuana arrests are of black and Latino individuals, despite similar usage rates among all races, Alexander said.

The report seems destined to help Cuomo continue evolving on the issue of cannabis policy, he said. The governor had been a leader on decriminalization since 2012. But as recently as last year, he said cannabis might be a gateway drug to heroin.

Gubernatorial candidate Cynthia Nixon attacked Cuomo on the left for not moving fast enough to unwind the war on weed, which Alexander said could have pushed Cuomo to speed up.

“He was already moving on this issue. If anything, she might have accelerated [Gov. Cuomo’s] timeline,” he said.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back