Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Rosin Tek

IDK, I've never seen it before. I have seen self buddering about a half hour after pressing. But not while I'm pressing.

I'm assuming your at 60% humidity? Pre pressed?

This material is right at 62% RH jarred, I open the jars once a week at this point. I do use a 30mm pre-press for anywhere between 3.5-7g material. This particular press was closer to 4g after de-stemmed

This material is right at 62% RH jarred, I open the jars once a week at this point. I do use a 30mm pre-press for anywhere between 3.5-7g material. This particular press was closer to 4g after de-stemmed

To press right now I guess you need more heat. It might help to wait though. Time will convert some thca to thc, and terpenes will change as well.

If you want to press right away, perhaps you could save one puck to squeeze later for a comparison.

To press right now I guess you need more heat. It might help to wait though. Time will convert some thca to thc, and terpenes will change as well.

If you want to press right away, perhaps you could save one puck to squeeze later for a comparison.

I think tomorrow I'll give it a shot at 220F, all these buds grown with AN sensi coco nutrients are doing this at medium range temps.

OK, so buddering/buttering means the rosin turns from clear gold/amber to a peanut butter look/consistancy., as this has done;
Fresh;
IMG_20190731_154542.jpg

Next day or so, top puck;
IMG_20190802_133301.jpg

OK, so buddering/buttering means the rosin turns from clear gold/amber to a peanut butter look/consistancy., as this has done;
Fresh;
View attachment 11609
Next day or so, top puck;
View attachment 11610

Yes, peanut butter, cake batter or a just a cloudy look.

I like buttered rosin because it's easier to handle and it re incorporates terpenes that can easily evaporate otherwise.

But buttering on the plates is new to me.

To get buttering it helps to have rosin pressed from fresh buds. It needs thca and terpenes. After pressing fresh buds I mix rosin on a silicone pad to get buttering.

After a while at room temp eventually it will unbutter, become more clear and sappy.

First press of some bruce banger by seedsman @ 200F with ~1200 PSI at the flower, 3.5g flower pre-pressed then squished for 2min in 160u filter, it was a little buddery and shattery but flowed really well at 200F and was a nice pale color to start out with. Flower was at 60% RH 57F, curing for about 6 weeks in the jar. Flavor was way more fuel than fruit, so will likely drop the temps down to 190F for the next press and do 10g. 18.8% yield

20191117_095939.jpg
20191117_095952.jpg
20191117_100550.jpg
20191117_100640.jpg
20191117_100757.jpg

First press of some bruce banger by seedsman @ 200F with ~1200 PSI at the flower, 3.5g flower pre-pressed then squished for 2min in 160u filter, it was a little buddery and shattery but flowed really well at 200F and was a nice pale color to start out with. Flower was at 60% RH 57F, curing for about 6 weeks in the jar. Flavor was way more fuel than fruit, so will likely drop the temps down to 190F for the next press and do 10g. 18.8% yield

View attachment 14712View attachment 14713View attachment 14714View attachment 14715View attachment 14716

Looks great. I'd like to dab a little off one of those snot drips. :ko:

I have a 3015r pre-press and tend to press a 3.5 - 5g puck. Is there any added benefit to pre-pressing with an Irwin clamp instead of just good old arm pressure?

Looks great. I'd like to dab a little off one of those snot drips. :ko:

I have a 3015r pre-press and tend to press a 3.5 - 5g puck. Is there any added benefit to pre-pressing with an Irwin clamp instead of just good old arm pressure?

Thanks, I have 3 other strains to press out, hoping I can break 20%!

On a smaller mold like that I dont see the need to use a clamp but perhaps everyone's own arm pressure can be different? I have used them on larger molds and it's helped get a dense puck.

Is there any added benefit to pre-pressing with an Irwin clamp
I think the clamp is used more to get a maximum-sized puck to flower ratio that can still get between the press plates, my thinking anyway (I do not bother with more than bodyweight pushing down on the prepress to make 10g fit in my 10t)
@psychonaut that is interesting re the fuel taste, I thought under cured buds can taste like that, not so much the temps (for me so far I noticed fuel taste in some 3 month cured buds I pressed instead of my 12-month-old stuff))

I think the clamp is used more to get a maximum-sized puck to flower ratio that can still get between the press plates, my thinking anyway (I do not bother with more than bodyweight pushing down on the prepress to make 10g fit in my 10t)
@psychonaut that is interesting re the fuel taste, I thought under cured buds can taste like that, not so much the temps (for me so far I noticed fuel taste in some 3 month cured buds I pressed instead of my 12-month-old stuff))
I use just my body weight also
So far so good

I'm just about out of rosin and so it's about time for another pressing.

I have about an eighth of Blue Dream left which tends to press immediately into shatter. I need to constantly heat the parchment in order to collect the rock hard ball of rosin. Now I also have some old homegrown Bubba Kush which always presses into a thick runny tar, no matter what temp and pressure you use. I need a cold plate to collect it off the parchment. Two rosins with completely opposite textures.

I was thinking that if I made a puck with a 50/50 blend of the two I might create a pull and snap texture that would be easier to handle. IDK if it works that way, but I'll be pressing in a day or so and will report back.

That sounds like a great plan @BabyFacedFinster , I look forward to the results, anything to make collecting easier is always a win in my book.
Also saw an interesting video on further refining rosin on the plates to get the thc diamonds happening,

Looks like I need some 25au bags.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great plan @BabyFacedFinster , I look forward to the results, anything to make collecting easier is always a win in my book.
Also saw an interesting video on further refining rosin on the plates to get the thc diamonds happening,

Looks like I need some 25au bags.

I watched a few of these just using baking paper

Interesting
Haven't bothered to try though

EDIT
So I just watched the video I shared
It's different to the other one I watched as he uses a 37 bag in this one
But it was a nugsmasher I watched and pretty sure he used no bags just special folding system with oven paper

Last edited:
I'm so excited to finally join the fam here, so much to learn and so much about rosineering seems to be hands-on and not so much book-learnin'. Now I haven't jumped down the rabbit-hole into video-land, other than videos that members have posted. My one thought after watching the new above from @LesPlenty is:
"Fuck me, I don't have the patience for that shite!" but it was funny when the gentleman said something like, "I don't really like this product or do this tech but y'all keep asking, so...". I guess isolate might be cool for a topper or something but I like tasting those terpenes, dangit! Also I'm a big believer in the entourage effect.

However, I want to learn everything I can about the various post-processing techniques, so keep them coming please! Although right now, I should probably be more concerned with avoiding blowouts and getting decent yields. I don't really know what I'm really looking for, in terms of post-processing, I suppose for me it's about altering consistencies, like taking a rock-candy shatter and transforming it into a taffy. I know others want to filter their rosin so finely that it can be injected and used in cartridges. So many desired outcomes and rosin hasn't really been around that long, I think there will be a lot of growth in rosin post-processing and hope it'll be driven by regular ol' smart people at home. I love that rosin developed as a DIY extraction method and would like to see that continue with open sharing.

And OT, but following that video is a Frenchy Cannoli Hash Workshop (subtitled lol) well worth the time. So much knowledge there, blows my mind. Also I guess since plenty of rosineers squish hash rosin, some exclusively, this lil post script isn't off topic after all. :tongue:

I'm so excited to finally join the fam here, so much to learn and so much about rosineering seems to be hands-on and not so much book-learnin'. Now I haven't jumped down the rabbit-hole into video-land, other than videos that members have posted. My one thought after watching the new above from @LesPlenty is:
"Fuck me, I don't have the patience for that shite!" but it was funny when the gentleman said something like, "I don't really like this product or do this tech but y'all keep asking, so...". I guess isolate might be cool for a topper or something but I like tasting those terpenes, dangit! Also I'm a big believer in the entourage effect.

However, I want to learn everything I can about the various post-processing techniques, so keep them coming please! Although right now, I should probably be more concerned with avoiding blowouts and getting decent yields. I don't really know what I'm really looking for, in terms of post-processing, I suppose for me it's about altering consistencies, like taking a rock-candy shatter and transforming it into a taffy. I know others want to filter their rosin so finely that it can be injected and used in cartridges. So many desired outcomes and rosin hasn't really been around that long, I think there will be a lot of growth in rosin post-processing and hope it'll be driven by regular ol' smart people at home. I love that rosin developed as a DIY extraction method and would like to see that continue with open sharing.

And OT, but following that video is a Frenchy Cannoli Hash Workshop (subtitled lol) well worth the time. So much knowledge there, blows my mind. Also I guess since plenty of rosineers squish hash rosin, some exclusively, this lil post script isn't off topic after all. :tongue:
I too am pretty happy with my rosin as is
But love to watch and learn
I've watched a few of Frenchie's videos, good for bubble hash info :)
I went from hair straighteners to a slug to a dabpress
Loving the latter dearly

The church rosin, 60% RH 3.5g misc smalls pre-pressed in 30mm mold, pressed in 2" wide 160u filter @ 200F for 2 mins with ~1200 PSI on the flower. Auto-buddered while pressing, I should have had it set to 210F. This flower was jarred just over 6 weeks ago. Nice taste and great effects. 19.5% yield.

20191120_132700.jpg
20191120_132706.jpg
20191120_132716.jpg
20191120_132918.jpg
20191120_132953.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back