Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe RSO or Cannabis Oil

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
So what is RSO? RSO is a cannabis plant extract and technique that was reintroduced to the public by Rick Simpson. A solvent is used to do a quick wash of the dried bud material melting or extracting the essential plant oils into the solvent. The stripped plant material is then discarded.

Cannabanoids have been proven to be therapeutically effective and are used to treat a variety of ailments including; Arthritis, Cancer, Crohn’s, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Multiple sclerosis (MS), and Parkinson's Disease.

The different methods of use can have different effects:

Taking the oil orally and letting it melt in your mouth, not swallowing – Slower acting than smoking, faster than ingesting. Longer relief than smoking.

Smoking or vaping the oil – It goes into the lungs and directly to the bloodstream. Very fast acting, short lived relief, about 2-3 hrs depending on the strain and strength.

Ingesting – 1 to 2 hours before you start to get relief but the effects can last 8 – 10 hrs. Through the gut into the liver where THC gets converted to the more psychoactive 11-hydroxy-THC by the liver.

Getting your dosage correct can be tricky. Anyone who has ingested too much knows how awful the feeling is and how long it takes to come down. So start SLOW and SMALL. It is usually recommended that you start with a rice sized amount of RSO and build your tolerance. The goal is not to get high but to alleviate symptoms. A good way to control your dosage is to draw the RSO into a syringe and use one line's worth to start. If that doesn't work, it is easy enough to double your dosage accurately till you find your baseline dosage.

RSO is often made in big batches but it is possible to make small batches as well. Here is a video explaining how:

Last edited:
Great use of coffee machine, as well! He makes it look very simple, which it really is. The hard part is making it look so easy :)

The water distiller works kinda like the GOM I'm guessing...

Found this chart and thought it looked like a handy reference. Dosages might be a bit high for some. I think the phrase 'unless sleeping' might pertain here... :lol:

mZGjYtI.jpg

I've always wondered: is there any advantages with RSO over rosin mixed with fats or VG?

No one has stepped in to answer this and I really don't know the answer. But it seems to me that the oil might be more concentrated? Perhaps @herbivore21 can lend his knowledge here.

Your questions about cannabis oil, answered

We talk to cannabis expert Dr. Michael Verbora to get the lowdown on the increasingly popular prescription

cbdproductsoiltincture_1280px_aa9cf3f1dfe1419195ea708ba7c4e586-1132x670.jpeg

Cannabis oil has only been available for prescription in Canada for a short time, but is already a runaway hit with patients and doctors—sales have grown more than 870 per cent since 2016. Here, Dr. Michael Verbora, medical director at The Cannabinoid Medical Clinic, answers our top patient questions about prescription cannabis oil.

Why choose oils?
For easy dosing, long-lasting effects and discretion.

First, oils comes with droppers and exact dosing information, making it easy for patients to titrate, or fine-tune, their dose until they find the right one. The therapeutic effects of oils also last longer, when compared with cannabis flower, or bud.

“For any patient with a chronic condition, whether it's chronic pain or anxiety, it makes much more sense to try to target that consistently so you get better remission of the condition, given the long-acting properties of the oil,” says Dr. Verbora.

Finally, oils are discreet, and look more like traditional medicines, which can be comforting for patients who are nervous about cannabis or wish to dose privately.

Are there any cautions?
Yes, a few.

Oils are metabolized through the liver before getting to the bloodstream and can interact with other medications, so Dr. Verbora recommends visiting a doctor who’s well-educated about cannabis and can ensure it's safe for you (see Lift’s list of cannabis-aware doctors and clinics).

Also, patients with certain gastrointestinal disorders or who are recovering from a recent gut surgery may not absorb the oils as expected, says Dr. Verbora.

“But generally speaking, oils tend to be safe. It’s really important that the dosing is well understood, and you have a physician helping you dose it properly. Then you can minimize any negative effects and potentially maximize the benefits.” To that effect, Dr. Verbora recommends sourcing your oils from a licensed producer, saying that when patients do report negative outcomes, it’s typically when they’ve ingested too much THC, which is easier to do from unregulated, untested products, like those sometimes sold in unlicensed dispensaries.

What if I take too much cannabis oil?
Well, it won't kill you...

“Ideally you shouldn't be able to take too much,” says Dr. Verbora, “because you should be titrating slowly and getting advice. However I know some people who aren't getting benefits or relief sometimes get excited and will take a higher dose than they're encouraged to.”

This can lead to unpleasant experiences, such as paranoia, anxiety, nausea, vomiting and lethargy. It’s not a nice feeling, but Dr. Verbora reminds us that no one has ever died from a so-called cannabis overdose. Avoidance is the best precaution, but should you take too much oil, find a comfortable, safe spot to wait it out, and consider taking some CBD oil or flower if you have it on hand. “There is some biochemistry to support the fact that increasing the CBD when you're having too much THC in your system might mitigate the effects,” says Dr. Verbora.

Can I just take my cannabis oil and put it where it hurts?
Go for it!

“There are endocannabinoid receptors in our skin and this is definitely a potential therapeutic target,” says Dr. Verbora. “You could take the oil and put it on your skin, and you may get some hydration benefits from the oil and you may get some localized effect from the cannabinoids.”

Evidence for topicals is promising, but limited, and Dr. Verbora worries that most oils haven’t been designed to penetrate deeper than the dermis. “So we need to understand if cannabis needs to be combined with other pharmaceutical ingredients to help maybe penetrate into deeper tissue...However I don't see any harm whatsoever associated with topical cannabinoids, so if patients do choose to use this option, I support them in doing so or attempting to do so.”

Different LPs use different base oils— does it matter which one I choose?
Nope.

“For me as a physician, I don't think it makes too much of a clinical difference,” says Dr. Verbora. If you’re allergic or sensitive to a particular ingredient, then choose an LP that uses an alternative base oil, says Dr. Verbora, adding that he hasn’t come across that situation in his clinical practice yet.

What’s the difference between oils and capsules?
Not much.

Dr. Verbora looks forward to a future when cannabis capsules use advanced technology to allow for controlled release, but for now, capsules are pretty much cannabis oil inside a digestible container.

I take a CBD-only oil. Is it possible to take too much?
Probably not.

“Right now we don't have good evidence to know if there is a ceiling of CBD oil that if exceeded it would cause negative effects,” says Dr. Verbora. “However all CBD oils have a small amount of THC in them, so as you do increase the dose, sometimes the effects of the THC become more pronounced.” He’s looking forward to more research on CBD dosing, but does point to a study on patients treated with CBD for Dravet syndrome, an extreme form of epilepsy. “They're using very high dosages, probably somewhere 10 times higher than the average patient I have,” he says, “and the negative outcomes or side effects were quite minimal. So from that perspective it seems to look quite safe.”

My doctor says to take my oil every day—will I become an addict?
Unlikely.

“From a medical perspective we're trying to treat something, and if we're trying to treat something that tends to be chronic, you have to medicate consistently so that you can keep it at bay,” says Dr. Verbora. “It's kind of like diabetes pills—you have to take them every day, because that's how they work, they need to be in your system for certain periods of time. And cannabis, for some conditions, is like that, and then for other conditions it can definitely be used more on an as-needed basis.” He notes that although there is a slim chance of addiction, it’s much lower with cannabis when compared to a number of pharmaceutical drugs.

Ultimately, your doctor prescribed cannabis to help you, not to turn you into a lazier version of your previous self. “It’s not about medicating and being pain-free and sitting on a couch and watching TV, it's about medicating so you can go get your groceries, so that you can do chores around the house, you can maybe get to your work,” says Dr. Verbora. “That's the whole philosophy around treating conditions in general, it's about improving function.”

Smoking or vaping the oil – It goes into the lungs and directly to the bloodstream. Very fast acting, short lived relief, about 2-3 hrs depending on the strain and strength.

Be careful when it comes to vaping RSO. It really depends on which solvent was used and how well the solvent was purged.

I've always wondered: is there any advantages with RSO over rosin mixed with fats or VG?

RSO usually contains a lot of the chlorophyll and plant matter which is why it's so dark whereas rosin will usually be a more pure extraction method.

You'll get a better yield from RSO but a cleaner product with rosin.

Also if your digestive system is sensitive to the plant matter then you will probably benefit more from the rosin approach.

Oils are metabolized through the liver before getting to the bloodstream and can interact with other medications, so Dr. Verbora recommends visiting a doctor who’s well-educated about cannabis and can ensure it's safe for you (see Lift’s list of cannabis-aware doctors and clinics).

My understanding is that the liver will process the THC if the oil is ingested but if you place the oil under the tongue and absorb it sublingually then you'll bypass the liver.

Another thing to bear in mind is that absorbing the THC directly into the bloodstream usually results in a more sudden onset but a shorter weaker experience. Where as ingesting and allowing the liver to break down the D9-THC into D11-OH-THC allows for a longer and stronger effect.

I'm still figuring most of this out myself though so more input from others would be great.

I'm still figuring most of this out myself though so more input from others would be great.
When I post articles here on the forum, it is to promote discussion of the theories presented; as well as providing information. So many of these articles can carry inconsistent information and it's my hope that we can dispel anything in them that is not accurate or incomplete (as in your example of vaping or inhaling RSO). :thumbsup:

When I post articles here on the forum, it is to promote discussion of the theories presented; as well as providing information. So many of these articles can carry inconsistent information and it's my hope that we can dispel anything in them that is not accurate or incomplete (as in your example of vaping or inhaling RSO). :thumbsup:

Oh yeh I totally got that, great idea. :thumbsup:

Looks like it's working too, the more we discuss the more our knowledge improves. YAY Knowledge :smile:

I've tried vaping RSO some time back and it was terrible tasting.. I don't recommend it but it might have been the batch. Most of the time I've read, it's mainly for eating, putting it in recipes or eating it with a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I have some right now but have only tried it on a few occasions, a grain of rice size amount each time. Maybe I need to take it on a regular basis? I didn't notice anything different how I felt. A person probably needs an accumulative effect over some time. The type I have is high in CBD and THC.

I like the idea of putting it in your mouth and letting it dissolve slowly. I've put it directly on my tongue before.

Last edited:
At how expensive RSO is in my state a person would have to make their own and probably grown their own as well to make it cost effective. At a minimum of $25 per gram at the state stores that would be expensive on the pocketbook. A good guide for those that are able to acquire that much RSO.

Unfortunately, for RSO to be completely effective for serious diseases like cancer, the full regimen is considered necessary. But if you make your own in small batches and break you purchases of product down over the 3 month period, the cost isn't as bad. You can make good RSO out of quality trim or shake; it doesn't have to be nugs. At my local dispensaries, you can get nice shake as low as $75/oz on some occasions. And if you are lucky enough to know a grower you can usually get some trim for free or at a very low cost. :twocents:

I've been getting $15 grams of RSO at the weed store, and i've had very little luck with them so far.
I tried to mix a half gram with about an equal amount of melted butter (not sure of the temperature, it didn't really bubble or anything) and a teaspoon of soy lecithin, and some 80 proof booze. Swished it all in my mouth for a while.. and nothing? Seemed like a total waste. I might want to try high-proof alcohol later.. or not, because the 80 proof alcohol mixed with the butter and stuff was already uncomfortable.

also be careful not to buy lecithin that's "for external use only". apparently a lot of soy lecithin has too many bad fatty acids or something. people have reported problems with sunflower lecithin that they don't have with soy lecithin, so i've no idea.

You might need to look up decarboxylation. Products meant for smoking need to be heat treated to convert Thca into thc.

Sunflower and soy lecithin are different topics. All soy is GMO, so if that's a concern for you then sunflower is an option. It also depends on what you are emulsifying, as one is sometimes more suitable. There is also liquid versions of each, which many find suitable but these choices depend on what you're end product will be.

There is a lot to learn, and The Asylum can help. Enjoy :)

Ps - lecithin is usually used by adding a tablespoon for every cup of liquid you'll be processing.

You don't really need to add oil to butter to alcohol. It sounds like you are trying to make every form of edible in one end product. Your rso, in oil form, is already an end product. Budder is another end product. Ditto for an alcohol-based tincture.

What would you like to make? Once we know that we can post a recipe for it

Last edited by a moderator:
The test result that came with the RSO said 70+%THC and 0% THCA. But maybe it's not actually decarboxylated, or I ruined it somehow. Or it didn't really dissolve in the oil, just mixed..

I wanted to dissolve the RSO on butter to make it more bio-available (not budder, just butter instead of coconut oil). Before this, I had ingested an entire gram of straight RSO and only felt a little bit. I assume most of it just passed through my gut.

i've tried butter+rso, alcohol+rso, and butter+alcohol+rso. the idea of the last one is so the mixture can remain as a liquid in room temperature

I had tried to dissolve RSO in 80 proof alcohol before without butter or anything else, but it didn't dissolve, even with heat. I assume I'd need 151+proof, but I can barely stand 80 proof

i had also tried butter mixed with RSO (cannabutter), with lecithin, sublingual, heated to be in a liquid state. nothing.

I'm not sure what I want. Something potent like green dragon, but without the alcohol burn would be perfect. Maybe this? https://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/
but i'm kind of tired of this, maybe i'll just stick to dabs

i had better results with coconut oil and ABV earlier, maybe this RSO is not actually decarboxylated

Last edited:
I've been getting $15 grams of RSO at the weed store, and i've had very little luck with them so far.
I tried to mix a half gram with about an equal amount of melted butter (not sure of the temperature, it didn't really bubble or anything) and a teaspoon of soy lecithin, and some 80 proof booze. Swished it all in my mouth for a while.. and nothing? Seemed like a total waste. I might want to try high-proof alcohol later.. or not, because the 80 proof alcohol mixed with the butter and stuff was already uncomfortable.

also be careful not to buy lecithin that's "for external use only". apparently a lot of soy lecithin has too many bad fatty acids or something. people have reported problems with sunflower lecithin that they don't have with soy lecithin, so i've no idea.

Do you know anything about the rso? You can try a tiny piece on food or just by itself. If you don't feel anything from a rice sized dab of rso it's most likely not very good. A half gram of most rso would keep most people intensly buzzed for 24 hours or more. And rso should be decarbed because of how it's made.

And @Killick is right, no need to use both butter and alcohol. One or the other is fine.

I recently switched from powdered soy lecithin to powdered sun flower lecithin. It has a slightly darker color but I have not noticed any other differences. Do you have links?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back