Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Automotive Thread

or rip up the tracks like that,

Keeping firebreaks open is a good thing, just look at all the fire problems we have now...a lot is due to these firebreaks now being closed off to 4wders.

I have been looking at the Great Wall utes as my wife says she wants a Hilux...WTF, we are a Nissan household but I don't like the Navaras.!
I can't get over how cheap they are. The only thing that worries me is the tiny 1.7t braked towing figure (diesel auto), that would not legally tow my boat and it is just an oversized tinny.

They are giving away the steed model ATM in price
Because next year's models are 3.5 ton towing and a good car

The diesel goes well, but they are the ones (like all the other brands ATM) that have more issues than the petrol
The petrol ones are almost indestructible

Nissan are better value for money than toyboatas
Navara is an okay car though if you are Nissan house !!!
Depending on your budget though if you were genuinely looking at a wall I'd wait till next year
Unless wife needs an auto get the manual
They are rated to 1.8 usually (legally) but many do up to 3.5 already
I'd still grab the next model if I was looking at new

Fire trails are often closed because dickhead forby drivers ripping them up instead of driving properly and the fire trucks can't use them when needed
Like that video
I mentioned it not coz it was a trail
But because they had too much power in wrong gearing on a heavy car that spun wheels and ripped shit up unnecessarily
You could get up there without such damage if they drove different or the car was built for it
Then we all could still use the trails too and not have them shut down to public

The problems now are not to do with trails being shut
It's due to people not burning off in the right season and die to global warming
So say the fire brigade, farmers and scientists

They also have made lots of new graded trails ATM
Up in the bush I grew up on the road is like a dirt highway half way in now as they prepare for these events in current climate
The council did this so they are on top of access points

Keeping firebreaks open is a good thing, just look at all the fire problems we have now...a lot is due to these firebreaks now being closed off to 4wders.

I have been looking at the Great Wall utes as my wife says she wants a Hilux...WTF, we are a Nissan household but I don't like the Navaras.!
I can't get over how cheap they are. The only thing that worries me is the tiny 1.7t braked towing figure (diesel auto), that would not legally tow my boat and it is just an oversized tinny.

Last edited:
Fire trails are often closed because dickhead forby drivers ripping them up instead of driving properly
That is the only way to get up wet clay tracks, you have to spin the tyres to get the lugs clean so they can grip, airlockers and picking the right line help, in the video the guy reverses and turns instead of just plowing on, he had a bit of an idae what he was doing (I would have had to use the winch or found a side track would be even better).

That is the only way to get up wet clay tracks, you have to spin the tyres to get the lugs clean so they can grip, airlockers and picking the right line help, in the video the guy reverses and turns instead of just plowing on, he had a bit of an idae what he was doing (I would have had to use the winch or found a side track would be even better).
I know about spinning to clean lugs in mud
His weren't that clogged though and the spin was his way of trying to get up as opposed to the situation you are speaking about

Air lockers are good
Auto lokkas and torsens work too, good for the front for steering while locked

On the back I prefer elockers

And in the video they didn't rip it up too bad, but dickheads do often and that's what got fire trails shut down

Plenty of dickheads about, I see people with winches that don't even know what a tree trunk protector or snatch block is, usually in a Hilux (dig,dig Tojo owners)!

My current bush rig is a 1949 CJ2A/1952 CJ3A frankenjeep. Running gear is pretty much stock, other than upgraded electrical (12v, with fuses and 21st century wiring). Big tires means it rubs when turning, it's a slow slog uphill, alternating between 1st and 2nd gear. Going at high speeds, which is ~ 45 mphish, it has a bit of a sudden death wobble that can suddenly cause the vehicle to track 5 or 10 degrees to the left (usually, but not always) with no real notice. This delight to drive is capped with original drum brakes, which means using a lot of gearing to slow down prior to standing on the scary pedal. Very Flintstonian.

So, having said that, it's a fantastic wee bush rig. In 4x4 low it can climb cliffs. You can put it in 4x4 low, lket out the clutch and jump out, and it will bimble along at about 2mph until it runs out of fuel, going up cliffs, down ravines, though rivers, mudbogs, fences and trees like they aren't really there, while towing a trailer full of wood. These are great little machines, simple, meant to be fixed with a pair of pliers, a hammer, and a bit of wire after a failed parachute drop.

There's a company in the UK that is converting old classic cars into electric units. It can't be that hard to wrangle 4 hub motors and a couple of batteries in. A few years ago Nissan started selling the Cube in North America. That same year in Japan they offered the Cube with an electric all-wheel drive powertrain. We decided to wait until the electric version came over, but it never did. Instead I wound up in a diesel Smart Car, which was promptly chip-tunes to 140 horsepower. Those are fun gocarts. The speedo only goes to 140 kph, although they do wrap around much further than that. Probably. :)

My current bush rig is a 1949 CJ2A/1952 CJ3A frankenjeep. Running gear is pretty much stock, other than upgraded electrical (12v, with fuses and 21st century wiring). Big tires means it rubs when turning, it's a slow slog uphill, alternating between 1st and 2nd gear. Going at high speeds, which is ~ 45 mphish, it has a bit of a sudden death wobble that can suddenly cause the vehicle to track 5 or 10 degrees to the left (usually, but not always) with no real notice. This delight to drive is capped with original drum brakes, which means using a lot of gearing to slow down prior to standing on the scary pedal. Very Flintstonian.

So, having said that, it's a fantastic wee bush rig. In 4x4 low it can climb cliffs. You can put it in 4x4 low, lket out the clutch and jump out, and it will bimble along at about 2mph until it runs out of fuel, going up cliffs, down ravines, though rivers, mudbogs, fences and trees like they aren't really there, while towing a trailer full of wood. These are great little machines, simple, meant to be fixed with a pair of pliers, a hammer, and a bit of wire after a failed parachute drop.

There's a company in the UK that is converting old classic cars into electric units. It can't be that hard to wrangle 4 hub motors and a couple of batteries in. A few years ago Nissan started selling the Cube in North America. That same year in Japan they offered the Cube with an electric all-wheel drive powertrain. We decided to wait until the electric version came over, but it never did. Instead I wound up in a diesel Smart Car, which was promptly chip-tunes to 140 horsepower. Those are fun gocarts. The speedo only goes to 140 kph, although they do wrap around much further than that. Probably. :)
Older 4x4 were always slow
But they went anywhere
Young people think shitloads of HP = better off-road
Not so, they can crawl over anything if designed properly for the task, and often less tyre spin power is better

Drum brakes always make for fun driving in old cars especially after a creek crossing where you have to pump the brakes to get the water out first haha

Many smaller modern cars are quite fun little go karts I'm comparison to the past, a different driving experience than off roading :(

IMG_40221.jpg

My new ride :aaaaa:2015 Silverado High Country
6.6 duramax paired up with the allison transmission.
All we need now is our camper. :thumbsup:

Nice, love that engine, you guys are going all metric too, 6.6 liter not 402 cubes!
Looks neat as a pin, must have had a good previous owner.

View attachment 14657
My new ride :aaaaa:2015 Silverado High Country
6.6 duramax paired up with the allison transmission.
All we need now is our camper. :thumbsup:
Every time I see a Silverado on the road the Simpsons episode comes in my head and the song for homers canyonaro ....lol

Lot of power there, long wheelbase need to watch those up and over mounds :)

Nice beast though

That is the second time I have used the emoji laugh thingy @felvapes you dirty rotten C@&T, making fun of someones new pride and joy, but fuck I cannot see for tears, beauty!I needed a good laugh, Simpson's rule!

Man, I am still pissing myself, hope the boss don't come out any time soon!...Canyonaro!

That is the second time I have used the emoji laugh thingy @felvapes you dirty rotten C@&T, making fun of someones new pride and joy, but fuck I cannot see for tears, beauty!I needed a good laugh, Simpson's rule!

Man, I am still pissing myself, hope the boss don't come out any time soon!...Canyonaro!
I wasn't meaning to take the piss out of their new car
Tis a beasty looking thing

But I see Silverado on the road and the name reminds me of homer buying a canyonaro

At least I made you cack yaself lol

Now the Nissan has a recall
Are these big companies getting lazy in production or what?

Only thing my wall had a recall on was asbestos head gaskets in one early model
And it wasn't a necessity, only.if you were concerned, we aren't gonna breathe the head gasket in

Toyboata, Nissan, Subaru - waiting for the range Rovers next (although they are owned and made by India and China so maybe will keep going....)

Haha, asbestos, good ol China looking after people's rights, I mean health!
1573960748249.png

range Rovers
Range Rovers are nice to own while under warranty, if they ain't leaking oil there is none in them!
My Nissan is almost old enough to be called a Datsun.
Are these big companies getting lazy in production or what?
Yep, always trying to make stuff cheaper, all these recalls because of a poor quality o-ring!
Should have kept my EH, 3 on the tree and no synchro on first, I learned to drive in it!

1573961482217.png

Mine was two-tone, brown with a white roof.
This example looks nice and was restored in Tassie,

Attachments

• 1573961154023.png
    1573961154023.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 78
Haha, asbestos, good ol China looking after people's rights, I mean health!
View attachment 14675

Range Rovers are nice to own while under warranty, if they ain't leaking oil there is none in them!
My Nissan is almost old enough to be called a Datsun.

Yep, always trying to make stuff cheaper, all these recalls because of a poor quality o-ring!
Should have kept my EH, 3 on the tree and no synchro on first, I learned to drive in it!

View attachment 14678
Mine was two-tone, brown with a white roof.
This example looks nice and was restored in Tassie,
I wouldn't buy a range rover mate, just being facetious as they are overpriced Chinese/indian cars

Asbestos in the head gasket didn't scare me and it was in one model that was fixed if you wanted it to be

Not great for the workers installing
But nothing you buy from China is workers rights ethical

Check the suicide nets in the buildings for the phone or computer you type on

Nissan's have had the dpf issue also lately and Subaru not just a seal
That's just the current recall

I love old cars
New ones work while they are going
Blow a computer chip or fuse and you are stranded

I've driven old cars holding a throttle cable in hand straight to the carby
We fixed broken centrebolts in leaf springs with fencing wire to get into town for parts
Owned a Datsun/Nissan ute too - it had both badges on the one car hahaa
I learned to drive in the Holden panel Van with a column shift and one person had a patrol we could drive sometimes and an old toyboata hibux when they still were indestructible and strayans called them japcrap, before comparing them to the "Chinese crap" as the benchmark

None as comfy and cool inside with good stereo reverse cameras/sensors and auto lights wipers etc as my chinarado though (Esp for the price) and no recalls yet .....

Funniest thing I heard on one of the GW owners pages was a person took his GW into the mechanic
Who quoted $400 for a genuine GW part
The owner said wtf? I can get it delivered from China for $30 ?

The mechanic said " yea, but that's from China mate, it's gonna be shit"

Lmfao
So is the entire car and the genuine part he was quoting .....

My car has Nissan bits anyway
The front running gear on mine is rodeo
The rear is Nissan springs and shocks with rodeo/isuzu discs

I miss the power and smell of my old 76 Ford but the comfort and off-road ability of my chinarado is winning in my old age
(And fuel economy....351 costs $20 to turn the key....lol)

This current Nissan recall is setting cars on fire, don't park near buildings
Lol
Nissanaroooo....

Last edited:
I love old cars
True, that is why I am leaning towards a 6BT Cummins with an Allison box for my Patrol (only AU$27k complete job) Apparently once a 6BT has started you can then remove the battery and they will keep chugging along, mechanical everything! (these engines are widely used in Oz by farmers to run irrigation pumps).

True, that is why I am leaning towards a 6BT Cummins with an Allison box for my Patrol (only AU$27k complete job) Apparently once a 6BT has started you can then remove the battery and they will keep chugging along, mechanical everything! (these engines are widely used in Oz by farmers to run irrigation pumps).
My old Suzuki 2 stroke motor bike would kick start and run without a battery
Just don't turn an indicator on or it stopped...lol

Are four wheelers or side by sides popular where y'all live?

I live in the sticks (big woods) and it's legal to drive these vehicles on secondary roads. Subject to proper permit's. And there are tons of ATV and snowmobile trails.

On my road on weekends there are more ATV s than cars or pickups.

Are four wheelers or side by sides popular where y'all live?

I live in the sticks (big woods) and it's legal to drive these vehicles on secondary roads. Subject to proper permit's. And there are tons of ATV and snowmobile trails.

On my road on weekends there are more ATV s than cars or pickups.
ATV or quad bikes are popular on properties here
Had to be on private property if unregistered

They have just passed laws or are campaigning to make roll bars mandatory on them as the yearly death toll of owners and their kids is extremely high

They roll over very easily on unstable ground

They have just passed laws or are campaigning to make roll bars mandatory

Haha, a friend of mine (diesel fitter that owns his own workshop) just purchased an old Suzuki QuadRunner and did a full resto and added a full roll cage then put it over the pit to get Recreational Rego and was told all was great except he had to remove the roll cage as they would do more harm than good, try putting a seatbelt on a motorbike because that is what is needed to make a roll cage helpful instead of extra dangerous.
More city slicker know-alls butting in where they are not needed, like those Qld wankers that tried to get campfires banned.
That said, it is cheaper to buy a Great Wall than most SXS ATV's here in Oz, I know which I would rather be in during a Tassie winter!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back