Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Automotive Thread

Haha, a friend of mine (diesel fitter that owns his own workshop) just purchased an old Suzuki QuadRunner and did a full resto and added a full roll cage then put it over the pit to get Recreational Rego and was told all was great except he had to remove the roll cage as they would do more harm than good, try putting a seatbelt on a motorbike because that is what is needed to make a roll cage helpful instead of extra dangerous.
More city slicker know-alls butting in where they are not needed, like those Qld wankers that tried to get campfires banned.
That said, it is cheaper to buy a Great Wall than most SXS ATV's here in Oz, I know which I would rather be in during a Tassie winter!
Not true about safety
And it is actually the farmers who are campaigning not city ppl

Also not a full roll cage they are wanting
A roll bar at the back, which stops it rolling on top of children and farmers legs
Quite a sensible idea

No seat belts that would be stupid on a bike and trap you underneath the rolled over quad anyway.....

Campfires in bushfire season and high wind are stupid ideas
Embers fly in high wind and start dry grass fires elsewhere
Especially when wsnkers don't backburn in winter
Or many dickheads who ruin shit for every one else don't put fires out fully being unaware that the ashes stay hot for days if not buried and a wind can start the fire up again and spread as described above

I grew up proper bush
7.5 thousand acres of bush bush

No ambulance getting to us in time
Survival is prevention in bush
And it's about what works not ego

This type of bar
Prevents it rolling completely over and squashing people

I'd rather a two wheels motorbike anyway myself
More manoeuvrability and no chance it will roll over on top of you
And light enough to pick up if did fall off

Or if need to carry shit grab a wall or something comfy and cheap that carries more and you can beat it up without concern

Last edited:
Interesting.

Most of our local ATV type deaths are actually snowmobiles. They hit each other, often hitting head on while climbing hills, hit trees, or drown in open water. Usually alcohol is involved.

Next to a local two lane highway lies a portion of a major atv trail. The road speed limit is 55 mph, but snowmobiles frequently fly by. Apparently the last one to the bar pays the tab, lol.

Tesla new truck design,

image (19).jpg

Haha, Logan's run reboot!

I always wanted an easy car I didn't have to worry much about, just get in an go. A year ago I bought a Nissan Leaf, and that's pretty much what I have. Except for tire rotation, there has been no maintenance and no repairs. Usually it's charged in 1/2 hour at the supermarket, or out when doing errands. @Madri-Guy charged on campus when he was taking classes, and even the library in town has a charger. Many of the chargers in the area are connected to solar, and we prefer to use those, and we still haven't had to charge at the house, where we also have solar panels. We just have been able to fit it in while we're out. While not for everyone, I've been happy with my Leaf. No fuss, no muss, and no $5.00 a gallon for gas.

Not having o visit a servo (Oz speak for gas station) every week for fuel must be great @Madri-Gal and your son can fill er up and not leave you without juice as most kids do!
I have solar at home too (38 panels, 10kKw) that used to make me money, our short-sighted pollies decided to no longer make the energy company buy my power back at the same rate I buy it (0.26 cents per Kw/h) when I need extra power but the energy company buys my extra power back at 8 cents per Kw/h...and they wonder why people aren't taking up solar like they used to...I could have purchased a new car with the amount my setup cost!

Not having o visit a servo (Oz speak for gas station) every week for fuel must be great @Madri-Gal and your son can fill er up and not leave you without juice as most kids do!
I have solar at home too (38 panels, 10kKw) that used to make me money, our short-sighted pollies decided to no longer make the energy company buy my power back at the same rate I buy it (0.26 cents per Kw/h) when I need extra power but the energy company buys my extra power back at 8 cents per Kw/h...and they wonder why people aren't taking up solar like they used to...I could have purchased a new car with the amount my setup cost!
Yea that was shit when they realised more people had cottoned on to the buy back of extra power made by panels

They have rebates to encourage people to out solar on the houses which is good

But sucking up to big business and mining and coal companies wins out
They have more money to bribe the politicians and create policy
Besides half the vested interest this lot have in politics and business which is suss AF

Either way
It was a good thing when you could sell your power back to the electrical companies by putting it back in the grid

There's an entire town in rural Aus that runs off solar

That needs to be promoted more too

But when your PM takes a lump of coal into parliament house as a gesture you know where his allegiance lies ay..... Not with the sensible route or the benefits of the populous

Sounds like you have a nice setup there @LesPlenty

I think the glass functioned as it is supposed to, notice the projectile bounced off a few times...I might watch Logan's Run again, been a while!

Nice setup @Melting Pot, my wife and I are looking to do the same but on a bit smaller scale and more off-road orientated, can't beat free-camping!

But he was not expecting it to happen like that
He has watched too many action movies with Hollywood bulletproof glass!

Buybacks offered by a couple companies
I think that's around the world if anyone was affected

A famous engineer lost his wife in steering wheel lock on a Asia Pacific made car.
GERMANY stuff is well engineered?

It will rain tonight now followed by a dust storm I am sure

I just washed the car and clear coat protect the roof before putting the rooftop tent on

So it's all shiny n shit which means it has to rain and dust it up on me tomorrow....
Murphy's Law of car washing....lol

Will post pics once the tent is up top

PS - I did use two buckets - one to soap and one to rinse
No hoses during water restrictions and drought

I should have taken before pics
It was covered in ash and fine red dust - I think it might be the stuff the planes drop on fires

20200115_200404.jpg
20200115_211403.jpg
20200115_200240.jpg
20200115_181853.jpg

Last edited:
It will rain tonight now followed by a dust storm I am sure

I just washed the car and clear coat protect the roof before putting the rooftop tent on

So it's all shiny n shit which means it has to rain and dust it up on me tomorrow....
Murphy's Law of car washing....lol

Will post pics once the tent is up top

PS - I did use two buckets - one to soap and one to rinse
No hoses during water restrictions and drought

I should have taken before pics
It was covered in ash and fine red dust - I think it might be the stuff the planes drop on fires

View attachment 15621View attachment 15622View attachment 15623View attachment 15624
My brother buy’s SUBARU’s for his girls.
Are they OK?
His son has TOYOTA TRUCK’s?
Love car’s!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back