Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on the pulse oximeter. Expect to receive one in a few days.

What’s a Pulse Oximeter, and Do I Really Need One at Home?
A tiny fingertip device can give you valuable information about your health during a bout of Covid-19 or any respiratory illness.
By Tara Parker-Pope
April 24, 2020

A pulse oximeter is a small device that looks sort of like a chip clip or a big clothes pin. You place your finger snugly inside (most require nail side up), and within seconds it lights up with numbers indicating your blood oxygen level and heart rate. Most healthy people will get an oxygen reading around 95 to 98 percent. Some people with existing health conditions may have a lower normal reading. You should check in with your doctor if the number falls to 92 or lower...

When you insert your finger into a pulse oximeter, it beams different wavelengths of light through your finger (you won’t feel a thing). It’s targeting hemoglobin, a protein molecule in your blood that carries oxygen. Hemoglobin absorbs different amounts and wavelengths of light depending on the level of oxygen it’s carrying. Your pulse oximeter will give you a numerical reading — a percentage that indicates the level of oxygen saturation in your blood...

The device works better with warmer hands than cold hands. And because oxygen levels can fluctuate, consider taking measurements a few times a day. Also try it in different positions, such as while lying flat on your back or while walking...

Most health technicians will place the device on the index fingers, but a study of 37 volunteers found that the highest reading came from the third finger on the dominant hand...

Dark nail polish can affect accuracy of the reading. Very long nails would make it difficult to insert your finger properly in the clip... [Looking at you, @momofthegoons]

It’s possible that a home monitor could give a faulty reading or be used incorrectly, prompting a patient to seek care unnecessarily. If you or someone in your home shows a very low reading, you may want to test your device on a healthy person to confirm that it is working correctly and discuss it with your doctor.

And home monitoring should not give you a false sense of security. Don’t ignore physical symptoms even if your oxygen level is fine. You should still call a doctor if you have severe shortness of breath, a high fever, confusion or any other concerning symptom. The benefit of monitoring is that it potentially can flag a decline in your respiratory health before you feel it...

Experts advise sticking with the finger clip technology for now. Newer wearable devices and camera-based apps use a different technology to measure oxygen saturation, and so far most of these products appear to be unreliable...

Last edited:
In VANCOUVER, CANADA the food was a foodie’s dream!
This virus will pass.
Our values of some will change ?
I love my wife! (Fact)
I love my family 4-sure.

Trials Using Cannabis to Fight COVID-19 Launched in Israel

With nearly 2.5 million confirmed cases and more than 160,000 deaths from the coronavirus, the race is on for a treatment that can fight the deadly respiratory infection that has beguiled doctors worldwide. In this pandemic arms race a number of Israeli researcher labs are launching trials and treatments to treat COVID-19 — and three eye-catching ones are based on cannabis.

On Friday, InnoCan Pharma announced that its subsidiary, InnoCan Pharma Ltd. of Herzliya, has began a collaboration with Tel Aviv University to develop a treatment to fight COVID-19 using cannabidiol (CBD) loaded exosomes — small structures attached to cells that are created when stem cells multiply.

The research, using “revolutionary exosome-based technology,” will be tested against a number of lung infections, the company stated in a press release.

The patients given the treatment will be administered CBD via an inhalation technique using those exosomes, which the company says could potentially have anti-inflammatory properties that can help in the recovery of infected lung cells.

Some research performed on animals has shown that CBD does have the ability to reduce inflammation, though it has not been proven to treat or prevent illnesses caused by the new coronavirus or other respiratory viruses.

Combining CBD with steroids
A second study is looking at the combination of CBD and steroids as a treatment for COVID-19 patients.

That trial will initially be performed on 10 COVID-19 patients who are currently receiving steroid treatments at Israel’s Rabin Medical Center. A press release stated that the trial will be conducted over the course of a few weeks and if the proof of concept is successful, it will be expanded with an additional 40 hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

The press release stated that “steroid treatment is usually the first or second line of treatment of hospitalized patients. CBD enhances the therapeutic effect of steroid treatment and treats the bio-mechanism affected by the virus.”

That trial is being conducted by Israel-based CBD R&D company Stero Biotechs in collaboration with its main partner and shareholder, Mor Research Applications, the TTO (technology transfer office) of Clalit, the largest HMO in Israel.

In August 2018, Stero Biotechs received a patent for steroid-sparing CBD-based treatment that the company said at the time, “has the potential of minimizing the devastating and sometimes lethal effects of steroids.”

Cannabis’ anti-inflammatory properties
The third study is examining whether cannabis — because of its anti-inflammatory properties — could slow down the lung infections experienced by many COVID-19 patients.

Tel Aviv’s Ichilov Medical Center launched the study to test the effectiveness of cannabis in treating COVID-19 patients with moderate symptoms, according to a report by Israel’s Channel 12 news.

Professor Alon Grosman, head of internal medicine at Beilinson Hospital, told Channel 12’s Yoav Even during a segment aired last week that, “we know that cannabis has anti-inflammatory properties and if it succeeds in stopping the cytokine storm [in COVID-19 patients] that would be very big news.”

Cannabis-based disinfectants
Earlier this month, American neurologist, psychopharmacology and cannabinoid researcher Ethan Russo and his business partner Nishi Whitely announced the founding of a company that aims to develop and commercialize “an eclectic range of cannabinoid-centered innovations with medical, diagnostic and industrial applications,” according to an article in Forbes.

In the Forbes interview, Russo was asked about a cannabis-based disinfectant the company is hoping to get on the market soon, and if it could be effective against the coronavirus.

“It should be,” Russo answered, adding that he expects it to be effective against a variety of fungi and bacteria and not “some pie in the sky things. It also isn’t a sudden bid to capitalize on other people’s susceptibility. There are a lot of people thinking about COVID-19 these days. But again, this is a situation where we may have something that is going to be safe, cheap and effective.”

9F7D5FBD-B997-4069-A662-16EB86D1853F.jpeg

In VANCOUVER, CANADA the food was a foodie’s dream!
This virus will pass.
Our values of some will change ?
I love my wife! (Fact)
I love my family 4-sure.

North Vancouver staying safe

CANADA’S RESPONSE TO THE CANNABIS INDUSTRY DURING COVID-19 BY PROVINCE

A scope into Canada’s response to the Cannabis industry during Covid-19 by province reveals the industry’s resilience in the face of these trying times.

cannabis industry

The cannabis industry is among the high-growth sector and a significant contributor to the Canadian economy. The country has gained over 400 brick-and-mortar stores since the legalization of weed in late 2018.

Initially, cannabis industry not factored into the statement made on April 6th by the Business Development Bank of Canada, which outlined qualifications for the Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP), including access to the Canada Emergency Business Account and the SME Loan and Guarantee Program. (1) This prompted 71 firms in the industry to write to Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Industry Minister Navdeep Bains, to issue change.

Additionally, provinces Newfoundland (NL), Prince Edward Island (PEI) and Ontario (ON), also announced closure of all non-essential businesses, including cannabis retail stores, when they declared state of emergency in mid March.

However, “Canada’s federal government has deemed medical cannabis production as an “essential” to the country’s critical health-care infrastructure. The designation has intended to assist provinces. Municipalities and businesses in their decision-making around the types of employees considered essential for the health, safety, security and economic well-being of the country.” (2)

Needless to say, authorities eventually paved way for jurisdictions to include the cannabis industry. Here is a breakdown by province.

Ontario
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario announced a temporary measure allowing legal cannabis retailers to serve customers with curbside pickup options and delivery for 14 days. Hours are 9 am – 11 pm with a maximum restriction of 30g of dried cannabis per person. Customers are to also place and purchase their orders online.

“Online sales had previously been the purview of the Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS), the provincial agency that is responsible for the distribution of recreational weed.” On March 16, OCS data reveals that their daily online orders rose from mid-2000 to 6042. This was the same day Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, announced Canada would restrict entry at the U.S. border. Although stores are re-opened now, Ontario declared cannabis stores as non-essential businesses on April 3rd, the same day the sales climbed up to 13,691. (3)

As of April 16 2020, BNN Bloomberg reports that “Cannabis purchases rose as much as 600 percent since the beginning of March in Canada’s biggest market thanks to stockpiling by consumers during the COVID-19 pandemic – and demand may be sticking around”. (4)

Quebec
The, Societe quebecoise du cannabis, a government-owned, legislated monopoly for the recreational sale ofCannabis, carries on with business as usual from Monday – Saturday, as it has been deemed an essential business by the province.

They have put in place the social distancing policies to ensure health and safety measures. They are also providing delivery services via Canada Post. Although, an article published on April 15 2020, raises the Union’s concern regarding workers with COVID-19 symptoms who are still showing up for work, as they are afraid of losing their sick days. However, the Crown corporation that employs them says those sick days will be reinstated if workers do prove to be infected with the virus. (5)

Nova scotia
The Nova Scotia Liquor Corp is the only legal adult-use cannabis retailer in the province. It has still in business, with reduced store hours and social distancing rules implemented to abide to social distancing laws. Cannabisbusinesses are not on the list of businesses that must be closed in Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia has 12 federalcannabis license holders. (6)

New Brunswick
The Atlantic province has declared a state of emergency. Government-owned Cannabis NB stores have been kept open with reduced hours.

The provincial government didn’t specifically address cannabis producers in its emergency declaration. Organigram, New Brunswick’s biggest cannabis producer, anticipates layoffs and production decreases as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. (7)

Manitoba
Licensed cannabis retailers and licensed cannabis producers have been designated critical services by the provincial government. They may remain open during a mandated closure of noncritical businesses between April 1 and April 14.

Critical businesses such as cannabis retailers that allow members of the public to enter must “ensure that appropriate social-distancing rules are followed.” Manitoba is home to six federal cannabis license holders and has issued 30 cannabis store licenses to date. (8)

British Columbia
B.C. has issued more than 200 recreational cannabis store licenses to date and is home to more than 80 federal cannabis licenses. The provincial government said those cannabis retailers and producers may remain open as “essential businesses” during the COVID-19 crisis. Regulated cannabis stores in British Columbia has now allowed to accept product reservations online and over the phone. (9)

Prince Edward Island (PEI)
The province has temporarily closed its government-owned PEI Cannabis retail stores until further notice.

PEI Cannabis is still offering online ordering for recreational cannabis. PEI is home to three federal cannabis license holders. Marijuana manufacturers have not listed on the province’s list of nonessential services. (10)

Saskatchewan
Unlike some other retailers in Saskatchewan, licensed cannabis stores has considered an “allowable business service” and may remain open.

Although Saskatchewan’s list of allowable business services doesn’t explicitly include cannabis production, it does permit “production, processing and supply chains” for the agriculture and manufacturing sectors to continue operating. (11)

Alberta
The province has issued over 400 cannabis store licenses, more than any other Canadian jurisdiction, and boasts about 40 federal cannabis license holders.

Cannabis retailers
and producers made Alberta’s “essential services” list and may remain open provided they implement appropriate sanitation and social-distancing measures. (12)

Newfoundland (NL)
Cannabis retailers in Newfoundland have been ordered to close for “in-person service.”

The Newfoundland government said closed recreational cannabis retailers can continue operating online if possible. Any in-person business must abide by social distancing rules. (13)

Going in for my pre-operation Covid test early next week. Wish me luck. Need all I can get at this point. I’m good on tincture but I might see if I can find one of the dispensaries here in md to deliver.
Didn't realize you were having surgery.... best of luck for a speedy recovery! And also for getting your dispos to deliver. They only do curbside and delivery here right now.. so hopefully your's are following the same protocol and you can get some meds in.

Didn't realize you were having surgery.... best of luck for a speedy recovery! And also for getting your dispos to deliver. They only do curbside and delivery here right now.. so hopefully your's are following the same protocol and you can get some meds in.

Thank you, yea, unfortunately I have been in quite a bit of pain again and need a somewhat invasive biopsy. Same area as my surgery in December as something appeared on scans. I'll get IV sedation for it.

Looks like over here we can stop by for curbside pickup and they 'deliver' to your car or person if on foot. I live very close to a dispensary but I don't want to be seen going into the place - it's truly 'that' close. Maybe with a mask I could pull it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back