Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had planned on going to Scotland for a nice summer vacation. With the COVID-19 pandemic, I'm not sure heather I should go or not.

So, I will think aglen about my vacation plans for Scotland.

Got my test back
IMG_7015.jpg

Specific Strains of Cannabis May Help Prevent the Coronavirus Says New Canadian Study

The search for both a cure and a vaccine for coronavirus continues.

We had previously written an article about "Cannabis' What If Momement with the Coronavirus" which stated that if a study or legit medical finding came out that showed cannabis helping to prevent, or lessen the impact of COVID-19 on the body, it could be a watershed moment in history that propels federal legalization. While we may not have a "cannabis cure" or "vaccine for corona", we may have serious progess and research looking for a pro-cannabis link.

Researchers from all around the world are looking at traditional and conventional possibilities. So far, we didn’t have any study that pointed to the use of cannabis as a potential life-saving medication for coronavirus…. Until now.

Researchers from the University of Lethbridge have gone through some 400 strains of cannabis, and found around a dozen that may bring hope to the hundreds of thousands of people around the world dying from coronavirus – and maybe even be able to prevent it.

“A number of them have reduced the number of these virus receptors by 73 percent, the chance of it getting in is much lower,” explains Dr. Igor Kovalchuk, a biological scientist. “If they can reduce the number of receptors, there’s much less chance of getting infected,” reports the Calgary Herald.

After experimenting with cannabis strains over the course of three months, Kovalchuk says that the hope lies in the right balance of CBD and THC in a strain. We all know that CBD is the most famous of the two for its medicinal properties; while THC has its own as well, many in the medical community are still wary of it due to its stigma caused by its ability to get people high.

“It will take a long time to find what the active ingredient is – there may be many,” Kovalchuk says. However, he explains that high-CBD strains possess a powerful anti-inflammatory property that may be beneficial specifically for coronavirus. “We focus more on the higher CBD because people can take higher doses and not be impaired,” he said.

Ongoing studies by Health Canada are involving 3D tissue models from artificial humans. They are focused primarily on researching how cannabis may prevent the virus from locating a host in the human body, specifically within the lungs, oral cavity, and intestines. Let’s hope for the best, because if these scientists are successful, this could mean we may eventually have access to cannabis medication against coronavirus, in the form of gel caps, inhalants, or mouth washes, Kovalchuk says. “It would be cheaper for people and have a lot less side-effects.”

Cannabis researchers have been victims of barriers to research and funding, and the presence of a global pandemic doesn’t make things any easier. “We have clinicians who are wiling to work with us but for a lot of companies in the cannabis business, it’s significant cash that they can’t afford,” he explains.

What they are working on isn’t towards a vaccine, but still another important medical breakthrough to treat coronavirus.

“The extracts of our most successful and novel high CBD C sativa lines, pending further investigation, may become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy,” Kovalchuk says. “Given the current dire and rapidly evolving epidemiological situation, every possible therapeutic opportunity and avenue must be considered.”

“Our work could have a huge influence – there aren’t many drugs that have the potential of reducing infection by 70 to 80 percent,” he says.

Israeli Breakthrough

In Israel, researchers have also started clinical trials to see if CBD can treat cells that have been damaged by the virus with CBD’s potent anti-inflammatory properties. Previous research tells us that CBD can enhance steroids’ effects when used to treat patients with life-threatening health problems while strengthening the immune system.

Researchers from the Israel Institute of Biological Reserch announced a breakthrough in identifying an antibody that could be used to treat coronavirus patients. While the antibody hasn’t yet been tested on either animals or humans, what matters for now is that it seems to meet three important clinical criteria needed to determine that it is a viable treatment.

Though they have been unable to confirm a timeline for developing the medication, they remain optimistic. “This is an important milestone, but afterwards comes complicated tests and a process of getting regulatory approval. Per an assessment by the institute’s scientists, this technological breakthrough is poised to shorten the process, which will go on for several months,” they said in a statement.

It’s not surprising that Israel should emerge as a leader in coronavirus research; they have long been home to important research institutes who are now focusing on finding treatment for the coronavirus.

Of course, Israeli researchers aren’t as hampered by a lack of funding as those in the United States. They are lucky enough to have a private sector where there are several companies with a focus on life sciences. It is in this very sector that Israeli has had several breakthroughs, including cannabis related studies.

Another study in Israel, this time by InnoCan Pharma together with Tel Aviv University, announced their collaboration to investigate the use of CBD and its impact on exosomes, which act as homing missiles, since they can target the cell organs of those that are impacted by coronavirus. “We estimate that our CBD-based treatment can enhance the current treatment of those patients who are in life-threatening conditions,” says Stero Biotechs founder and CEO, David Bassa. “Hospitalized COVID-19 patients are mostly being treated with steroids and our study is planned to demonstrate the benefit of a combined solution with steroid treatments. We are hopeful that this study will lead to faster benefit for the growing number of COVID-19 patients in Israel and around the world.”

Personally, having a tough time maintaining weight in isolation. It seems those gout-safe treats purchased on errands were a bigger part of the diet than previously thought. Now, need the healthier, vegan version of Ensure to keep weight on.

Today's post for those who put their trust in empiricism.

Just Because You Test Positive for Antibodies Doesn’t Mean You Have Them
In a population whose infection rate is 5 percent, a test that is 90 percent accurate will deliver a false positive nearly 70 percent of the time.

By Todd Haugh and Suneal Bedi
Professors Haugh and Bedi are researchers who study judgment and decision-making.
May 13, 2020
...But what does a positive antibody test mean? It means you should feel confident that you can work, shop and socialize without getting sick or infecting others, right?

Not so fast.

The confidence that we should have in antibody tests depends on a key factor that is often ignored: the base rate of the coronavirus. The base rate is the actual amount of infection in a known population. In the United States, that appears to be between 5 percent and 15 percent.

This simple fact is essential to understanding the accuracy of an antibody test. Yet overlooking this fact is also one of the most common decision-making errors made, so much so that it has its own name: the base rate fallacy.

Here’s an example. If you took an antibody test that was 90 percent accurate, and it determined that you had coronavirus antibodies, how confident should you be that you actually have those antibodies?

Most people say about 90 percent...

But the predictive value of an antibody test with 90 percent accuracy is 32 percent if the base rate of infection in the population is 5 percent. Put another way, there is an almost 70 percent probability in that case that the test will falsely indicate a person has antibodies.

The reason for this is a simple matter of statistics. The lower prevalence there is of a trait in a studied population — here, coronavirus infection — the more likely that a test will return a false positive. While a more accurate test will help, it can’t change the statistical reality when the base rate of infection is very low...

So what does this mean as the country begins to open?

Mostly it means we have to educate ourselves to safeguard our own health. And it means that we’re all at risk of getting infected and spreading the virus, even if we’ve had a positive antibody test.

Cannabis firm exploring plant-based tech with VIDO-InterVac researchers in quest for COVID-19 vaccine

Plant-based antigen could increase vaccine production capacity, researchers say

A collaboration between infectious disease researchers at the University of Saskatchewan and a Saskatoon-based pharmaceutical company is being described by one doctor as a "science project" with big implications.

Saskatoon's Zyus Life Sciences is working in collaboration with the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac) to develop and test a plant-based antigen for a possible COVID-19 vaccine.

"It's significantly behind our other vaccine candidates right now," said Dr. Paul Hodgson, a senior manager with VIDO-InterVac, on Monday.

"I think the more valuable thing is working with a plant expression company like Zyus to see whether their methods for expressing protein might be suitable for COVID-19, or perhaps even wave two of COVID-19, or other infectious diseases."

VIDO-InterVac has previously commercialized two animal coronavirus vaccines, for cattle and swine. The organization is the first lab in the country to have a vaccine candidate in animal testing.

Typically, proteins needed in research are obtained using bacterial or mammalian expression and that's what they had been doing in coronavirus research. Hodgson says VIDO-InterVac has provided Zyus with a candidate antigen already.

The more vaccine candidates there are, the more data could be obtained, Hodgson said. Different candidates might work in different age groups or have different duration of immunity, for example.

"What everyone has to remember is right now these are all science projects," Hodgson said. "They're very, very important science projects — but no one really knows what the final vaccine candidate will be, which one will show the best immunity and which one will move on to protect the world."

Given VIDO-InterVac's history with coronaviruses over decades of research, Hodgson believes a vaccine can be developed.

Zyus' work could replicate the vaccine's protein on a larger scale. If research and testing yields results, it has the potential to increase the overall capacity for vaccine production.

"Plants tend to be like really, really succinct photocopiers of compounds ... so once you teach it to do something, it'll do it repeatedly over and over and over again," said Brent Zettl, CEO of Zyus and a pioneer in Canada's medical marijuana industry.

Zettl said he was wondering out loud one day and asked if vaccines are protein-based, whether the Zyus platform could be adapted to develop a vaccine. He then reached out to VIDO-InterVac.

"The rest is history, as they say, or the beginning of history," Zettl said.

Enough of the protein identified by VIDO-InterVac is expected to be extracted and ready for clinical testing around mid-to-late August, when it will be turned it over to researchers, Zettl added.

@ataxian.. They love their acronyms don't they?
It's rather nauseating tbh this whole thing.
Que the piano music "we're in this together"
:puke:
I feel really bad for everything and the experience in comfort I have experienced?
I skied, surfed, biked, golfed, boated plus team sports as a young gun.
Missed the draft due to my young gun status!
Writer’s block is not present? (At least)
May I boast: my daughter is working on getting her PhD in English.
I was going to get one in PHYSICS however I’m a old stoner?
My wife I taught 3D and she is the bread winner.
Now I understand a old engineer said: “the best man for the job is a woman”!
He said something I finally understand?
Most of the young surfer dude’s are surfing in the PACIFIC with no fear ?
Referring to the western coast of the pale blue dot called earth by some!
A retired professor of OXFORD ENGLAND said, “where your born determines your outcome “?
My parent’s made decent choices!
Fishing is quiet pass time.
CREAM BRUELE next week ! (Bought a COOKING torch to carmalize the top)

Last edited:
@ataxian hows PhD studies going to work out with Daughter now?? Curious, I know my former Culinary School -(CIA) may close doors permanently due to low enrollment, not enuf $$ to keep the gears grinding. It's the nu abnormal A.
Last night I fell apart physically!
The heat got to me?
It seem’s to be over 100f in the sun area’s of my residents!
GEOPOLITICS is one of my interest of study.
Bernard Levy a writer from FRANCE live’s half the year in MANHATTAN, NY wrote book that you might like?
The tittle is: “PUBLIC ENEMY” it’s co-AUTHOR IS Michel HOLLEBEC.
Michel spent his young influence year’s living in SKI TOWN before skiing was popular on this side of the “PALE BLUE DOT “!
Some of the children I grew up with by the SEA moved to the SLOPES of VAIL?
When my parents move us kid’s to the HAWAII ISLAND’S my ski buddies were out surfing big hollow ocean wave’s without any fear?
I was scared shitless to be true full?.
We made snowboard’s in surf shop’s?
I stayed with two ski’s while my BOY’s and younger brother took up snowboarding?
TAHOE, CALIFORNIA is not bad either?
Surfing and SKIING during the same daze!
Those were the daze’s on the “PALE BLUE DOT” all of us live on!
Lucky to be born at this time in HISTORY?
Went back to get my degree and continued to explore this planet!
My boy’s I’m so proud of.
My daughter want’s be a professor! (Classroom to online these daze’s)
Love my family so much.
Stay safe and hug your love one’s!
I learn by doing I guess?
My daughter is book smart for sure! (She is different)

Last edited:
WA state has been hit hard with COVID, not as bad as some. We have been trying to bend the curve down. Yesterday was the first day I decided to go to get some bedding plants. All the employees had masks on. I was surprised to see about 25 percent, maybe 30 percent of the customers didn’t. The mask is to protect others. I realize the mask is uncomfortable and can be claustrophobic. We all need to be considerate of others, just my opinion. I don’t want everything to close if we have a huge hot spot. Please be respectful of others. This isn’t just the flu. What we do effects others!

Last edited:
We all need to be considerate of others, just my opinion.

Sadly, an increasingly unpopular opinion in the US. These are times when "everyone for themselves" is a recipe for disaster, but many would rather trust internet trolls than the evidence of their own senses and the science built upon it.

Recall getting measles and other vaccines as a child. At the time, no one questioned that there was such a thing as common interest and that eradicating infectious diseases was in it. Of course, people also walked on the moon in those days. How far we've fallen. :cry:

Sadly, an increasingly unpopular opinion in the US. These are times when "everyone for themselves" is a recipe for disaster, but many would rather trust internet trolls than the evidence of their own senses and the science built upon it.

Recall getting measles and other vaccines as a child. At the time, no one questioned that there was such a thing as common interest and that eradicating infectious diseases was in it. Of course, people also walked on the moon in those days. How far we've fallen. :cry:
You are so wonderful!

Folks in Eastern WA were having COVID party’s. They have to be told by the public health department and doctors not to do that. I remember back in the day parents would have chicken pox party’s for their children so they wouldn’t get it. My kids caught chicken pox from school., it’s very contagious.

I remember back in the day parents would have chicken pox party’s for their children so they wouldn’t get it.

You could also look at this sort of behavior as a precursor to vaccination. Physicians practiced something similar in centuries past. But there was already widespread immunity in the population. It was unlikely (but possible) that a chicken pox party would precipitate a devastating outbreak. Without that immunity, it's much more likely that COVID parties would worsen the situation.

You could also look at this sort of behavior as a precursor to vaccination. Physicians practiced something similar in centuries past. But there was already widespread immunity in the population. It was unlikely (but possible) that a chicken pox party would precipitate a devastating outbreak. Without that immunity, it's much more likely that COVID parties would worsen the situation.
What UNIVERSITY did you get your Medical Degree?

The number of people dying from the coronavirus pandemic in Mexico is five times higher than official government figures, according to health department insiders.

A Sky News investigations team working in the country's capital Mexico City has documented cremations and funerals and gained access to morgues and storage rooms full of bodies - all indicate the official data is wrong.

In much of Mexico City, the second largest city in Latin America, there is virtually no social distancing, with open air markets and some businesses operating normally, despite the coronavirus pandemic.

The government claims that the virus curve has been flattened and that there will be a dramatic drop off in virus related deaths in the coming days.

In a recent briefing, the country's president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told the nation: "What the world knows about Mexico is that we are taming the pandemic, and we are basically doing this because Mexican people are making a conscious effort."

But that has been dismissed by many dealing with the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back