Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:She's got a "I wanna speak to your manager" haircut.
Yeah, she is really frightening in a Stepford Wives sort of way. LOL

Actually...after doing some research, the correct term is "xenophobic". Although, I will say that it's not exactly better than racism. Anyway, I don't want to stir up any drama or bad feelings here, just correcting myself. I will admit when I'm wrong.

It is a fine quality to be self critical & able to admit when you are not right on a given issue. I am going to disregard your previous posts. It is also not racist, prejudiced or xenophobic to state facts.

Americans by & large do feel entitled to do whatever they like. Not all of course but enough to consider it fact. Consider from coast to coast & north to south there are people who are actively disregard strong suggestions at worst regarding Covid19.

All I know is America is trending up in all measurables regarding this virus. You have a death rate that is sitting around 400 per million & rising. My country that is not so different is sitting at 4 deaths per million. Could it be the difference is in general attitudes towards sensible measures to contain the virus?

I don't wear masks & rarely see people wearing them here. We seem to have things at a manageable level currently. Yes cases are rising but it is fairly isolated clusters. Pubs & clubs are open. Live sport is on with very small crowds. I think social distancing is working here because most people are doing it properly.

Happy 4th July people. Enjoy your holiday & stay safe. Be sensible. Get drunk at home & BBQ.

That pic reminds me of this @bulllee & @Baron23

FB_IMG_1593219239983.jpg

A Cheap, Simple Way to Control the Coronavirus
With easy-to-use tests, everyone can check themselves every day.

By Laurence J. Kotlikoff and Michael Mina
Mr. Kotlikoff is a professor of economics at Boston University and Dr. Mina is an assistant professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
  • July 3,, 2020
  • One of the new at-home paper-strip tests for the coronavirus, licensed from the Wyss Institute at Harvard, that is being developed by Sherlock Biosciences.Credit...Wyss Institute at Harvard University
Simple at-home tests for the coronavirus, some that involve spitting into a small tube of solution, could be the key to expanding testing and impeding the spread of the pandemic. The Food and Drug Administration should encourage their development and then fast track approval.

One variety, paper-strip tests, are inexpensive and easy enough to make that Americans could test themselves every day. You would simply spit into a tube of saline solution and insert a small piece of paper embedded with a strip of protein. If you are infected with enough of the virus, the strip will change color within 15 minutes.
Your next step would be to self-quarantine, notify your doctor and confirm the result with a standard swab test — the polymerase chain reaction nasal swab. Confirmation would give public health officials key information on the virus’s spread and confirm that you should remain in quarantine until your daily test turned negative.

E25Bio, Sherlock Biosciences, Mammoth Biosciences, and an increasing number of academic research laboratories are in the late stages of developing paper-strip and other simple, daily Covid-19 tests. Some of the daily tests are in trials and proving highly effective.

The strips could be mass produced in a matter of weeks and freely supplied by the government to everyone in the country. The price per person would be from $1 to $5 a day, a considerable sum for the entire population, but remarkably cost effective.
Screening the population for infection, however, is different from determining whether someone is infected.
The Food and Drug Administration has recently approved group P.C.R. testing to screen large numbers of people. (Group testing, which is used in other countries, assays multiple swab samples at once and if the virus is found, individuals are tested.) So there is reason to hope that the F.D.A. will also approve paper-strip tests as a way to find out where the virus has spread.
Hope needs to be replaced with surety. Biotech companies are reluctant to take these tests to market for fear that the F.D.A. will disparage them for being less sensitive than the nasal swab tests. The nasal swab test can detect extremely small quantities of viral particles.

But the problem with the nasal swab tests is their cost, which ranges from $50 to $150. They also require laboratory assessment, which can take days. That is why, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, nine of 10 infected Americans never get tested. It’s also why those who do get tested, generally are tested only once.
Clearly, if you’re infected and never tested, you can unwittingly spread the virus. And if you are tested, but just once, and the test comes back negative, you may still later become infectious. Finally, if your polymerase chain reaction swab is positive, but it takes five days to learn the result, you may spend those days transmitting the disease.
Group testing can dramatically lower nasal-swab-testing costs for universities and large companies. But absent federal coordination, it can’t be used routinely to test all Americans.

We need the best means of detecting and containing the virus, not a perfect test that no one can use. That is where paper-strip testing would have the advantage. Their ability to be used more frequently would trump the nasal swab test’s higher sensitivity. Paper-strip testing would also sharply improve diagnosis as those with a positive paper-strip test would still be given a nasal swab test.

Would everyone take a paper-strip test every day? Here market incentives will surely help. Once they are provided to all, employers would likely require their workers to take time-dated pictures of their negative test results before coming to work. Colleges would require students to do the same before coming to class. Restaurants could accept reservations only if accompanied by negative-test pictures. In short, everyone will have an incentive to test themselves daily to participate fully in the economy and return to normal life.

@Helios That video of the crazy woman from CA, I wonder if she was just putting on an act? She was really over the top, kinda makes your head explode. She was like fingernails on a chalkboard - made your teeth hurt!!

Last edited:
A really awesome product! I want a couple of these, I work with children where they need to see how I pronounce a word or sounds of letters. These would be perfect for the deaf or an older person that reads lips as well and are stubborn to get a hearing aid, that was my mom for many years. What a difference a smile makes too.

masks with windows mean more than smiles
Face coverings to curb the spread of the coronavirus are making it hard for people who read lips to communicate
By Julie Watson | Associated Press Jun 13, 2020, 2:03pm CDT
Virus_Outbreak_One_Good_Thing_Mask_Windows.4.0.jpg
Chris LaZich, of Fleet Science Center, wears a mask with a window as she talks with Delpha Hanson in San Diego. Face coverings to curb the spread of the coronavirus are making it hard for people who read lips to communicate. That has spurred a slew of startups making masks with plastic windows to show one’s mouth. The companies are getting inundated with orders from family and friends of deaf people, people helping English learners see the pronunciation of words, and even hospitals that want their patients to be able to see smiles. Gregory Bull/AP

Oooohh this is much better! Let's get creative people! Smiles are a necessary part of life, and not just for humans. Smiles are universal...you should see how my dogs grin when I come home :rofl:

I want to point out that this should not just be targeted at lip-syncers. This really would benefit everyone! No mask is better than any mask, but at least this has a large positive effect. EDIT: we need an internal microphone and external speaker to go with this to solve the muffled voice issue!

@Stevenski , @bulllee please do not make your dogs suffer like this, it's not right. Keep them home and comfortable, they will love you for it. I recently had to take my dogs in for vaccinations, and while all humans there were required to wear masks, the puppies were not. Then again...once place actually told me they had stopped issuing rabies vaccines completely due to covid.

Last edited:
My greatest fear is that the American government is beginning to take power away from the people (whatever little power we actually have). Obviously they realized that in an "emergency situation" they get to do whatever the hell they want. Well, damnit this ain't China!
They are closing a lot of business down around here again. How are people supposed to support their families? My local barber had to close down permanently, as well as several other larger business in the area.

Additionally, Walmart, CVS and all of the others that she names have absolutely no obligation to explain the obvious to this individual and can mandate almost any requirement for entrance to their properties that they like except as excluded by law.....certainly masks come under their perogative to maintain a safe workplace for their employees as well as their customers.

And, while I pretty much never wish health ills on others...karma is indeed a bitch...I will make an exception for this person and hope she gets a nice raging case of COVID because IMO she certainly will cause a lot of cases of the virus with this idiotic message.
Agreed on the first part! Walmart, CVS, etc are private properties. If you don't like it, don't go there.
There are a few individuals who are unable to wear masks due to respiratory conditions, and those certain individuals should be accommodated for

There was an incident around here where two guys beat up a security guard becuase he wouldn't let them in without masks. How hard is it to just walk out?

I don't like this woman at all, but I do hope she stays healthy and wises up.

Last edited by a moderator:
One upside of Covid19 is no fucking tourists and limited Crayfish (Rock Lobster) exports. The gov did put on special flights to China to pick up PPE but helped the poor old cray fishermen out by delivering Crayfish before the PPE pick up, rich fucks.
I was actually able to purchase some cray a little while back for only $65 per kg (usually well over $100)

Last edited:
A video of an unmasked family refusing to leave Grocery Outlet in Spokane Valley has racked up over 30,000 views and sparked Facebook organizers to plan an “Unmasked Shopping Event” at the store.

After an employee asked Aubree Stone’s family to leave the store, Stone began filming, saying “You’re harassing me.”
“I cannot believe you have the gall and the nerve to try to make somebody do something outside of their own will,” Stone said.
“It is a private business, would you like to see the law?” the employee said.

Stone said she would.
Under federal anti-discrimination laws, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason, unless the business is discriminating against a protected class, such as race, nationality or disability. These are the same laws that allow businesses to post signs reading, “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service.”

Gov. Jay Inslee and Secretary of Health John Wiesman, in response to climbing COVID-19 numbers, announced a statewide mandatory face covering order that took effect June 26. The order makes a refusal to wear a mask in public spaces a misdemeanor offense.
Inslee announced Thursday another statewide order that will bar businesses from serving customers who don’t wear facial coverings. That order takes effect next week.

But many in Spokane are upset by the orders. A group called Citizens United for Reopening the Economy, or CURE, which has 139 page likes on Facebook, organized the “Unmasked Shopping Event” at Grocery Outlet Friday.

Covid is raging in eastern WA state, farm country.

Oooohh this is much better! Let's get creative people! Smiles are a necessary part of life, and not just for humans. Smiles are universal...you should see how my dogs grin when I come home :rofl:

I want to point out that this should not just be targeted at lip-syncers. This really would benefit everyone! No mask is better than any mask, but at least this has a large positive effect. EDIT: we need an internal microphone and external speaker to go with this to solve the muffled voice issue!

@Stevenski , @bulllee please do not make your dogs suffer like this, it's not right. Keep them home and comfortable, they will love you for it. I recently had to take my dogs in for vaccinations, and while all humans there were required to wear masks, the puppies were not. Then again...once place actually told me they had stopped issuing rabies vaccines completely due to covid.
You have no clue where I live?. I live in Arizona where it's too hot in the daytime for walks. Daytime it's 110 degrees plus. That makes the asphalt and ground way too hot to for my girls feet. So I get up everyday at 300am for our walks. Some pet parents use special booties on their dogs. My girls don't like them so I get up early everyday with them. Keep them Home? Why ? They love our walks. As a matter of fact they wake me up for our walks.

1593948545238.png

Regarding masks, the difference in absolute risk is −14.3% (3.1% with face mask vs 17.4% with no face mask.) Interpret this to mean that for an exposure associated with a 17.4% risk of infection without a mask, wearing a mask would reduce the risk of infection to 3.1%. Put another way, if your risk of infection in a given situation is about 1 in 6 without a mask, wearing a mask will reduce it to about 1 in 30. Not bad, IMO.

Thinking about this review, missed a very important point - it also shows why general mask use in a population is far more effective at preventing transmission. The risk of transmission between two people is 3.1% if one of them wears a mask. But if both wear masks, then the risk is 3.1% * 3.1% = 0.1%, just 1 in 1000. Birth control is an analogy. For simplicity, say your risk of conception when using a condom or diaphragm is 1%, if your partner is unprotected. If your partner also uses the complementary prophylactic, then your risk is only 0.01%. You'd need to have sex 10,000 times (on average) to make a baby!

Last edited:
You have no clue where I live?. I live in Arizona where it's too hot in the daytime for walks. Daytime it's 110 degrees plus. That makes the asphalt and ground way too hot to for my girls feet. So I get up everyday at 300am for our walks. Some pet parents use special booties on their dogs. My girls don't like them so I get up early everyday with them. Keep them Home? Why ? They love our walks. As a matter of fact they wake me up for our walks.

Actually, you already told me you live in AZ, I even mentioned that in a previous post,I guess you didn't read...no worries. I'm well familiar with AZ heat, stays hot even at night time I hate that. Sorry brotha I didn't mean any disrespect, just tryna look out. I am very glad to hear you care about your pets and don't just treat them like inferior creatures, like so many other people. 3AM daily, now that's discipline! We have 3 large dogs, they all know they are family. They eat, sleep, and chill with us 24/7. Don't know what I'd do without them. LOL you should see my bulldog when he gets a sniff of his leash/harness, absolutely goes crazy.

Some Experts Say Face Shields Better Than Masks for Coronavirus Protection

The advantages of wearing a clear plastic face covering, and how to make your own in minutes

by Renée Bacher and Christina Ianzito, AARP, June 15, 2020 | Comments: 21

Two women wearing a protective face mask and a plastic face shield on a London street.
DOMINIC LIPINSKI - PA IMAGES/GETTY

En español | By now we know we should be wearing face masks to protect others from potentially deadly infection when we leave the house. But face masks can be hot, and they can irritate the skin, fog glasses, make it difficult for some to breathe and create a world without smiles. It also can be difficult for people who have hearing loss to communicate when mouths are covered, muffling voices and hiding facial expressions.

Are clear plastic face shields, most frequently used in health care settings, a better option?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to recommend wearing “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.” But some health experts say shields appear to be very effective at preventing infection — maybe even more effective than masks —

DIY Face Masks & Coronavirus Face Shields | Michaels - Michaels Stores
Help healthcare workers stay safe from coronavirus with Michaels DIY face mask step-by-step instructions and crafting supplies

Last edited:

Great idea, one way to get those selfish insta me gen to do the right thing, they might not listen to science but vanity will get them every time!

In the vast majority of applications masks are used to prevent one from inhaling contaminants. In the instance of a pandemic like this the mask is designed to reduce the instance of passing the virus to others. It only works if the vast majority adopt the practice.

Face shields are not really practical for general use. They are used in conjunction with masks because medical personnel encounter so many potential carriers.

Getting the feeling we will have to adopt masks here because one state is growing cases because well idiots will idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back