Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
1594112983868.png

Thinking about this review, missed a very important point - it also shows why general mask use in a population is far more effective at preventing transmission. The risk of transmission between two people is 3.1% if one of them wears a mask. But if both wear masks, then the risk is 3.1% * 3.1% = 0.1%, just 1 in 1000. Birth control is an analogy. For simplicity, say your risk of conception when using a condom or diaphragm is 1%, if your partner is unprotected. If your partner also uses the complementary prophylactic, then your risk is only 0.01%. You'd need to have sex 10,000 times (on average) to make a baby!
Damn! I'm getting close. No more sex for me!

I am not a person who attributes universal cure all attributes to MJ, as it seems some others tend to do. But, on the other hand, I don't reject any sort of leads just because its MJ.

This article is mostly oriented toward the anti-inflammatory benefits of CBD.

But, the degree of anti-inflammatory benefits is not specified...not even to say that they are significant.

Just yet another call for more research (just like everyday for the last twenty fucking years! haha)

Cannabis May Reduce Deadly COVID-19 Lung Inflammation: Researchers Explain Why

As COVID-19 cases continue to rise, researchers have started to look for solutions in an unlikely place - the cannabis plant. Cannabis’ active compounds have a number of properties that make it appealing as a potential adjunct treatment for infections from the novel coronavirus, and recently scientists have begun looking at its potential for reducing susceptibility to the disease, and even discussed whether it could be used as an antiviral medication.

This month, researchers from the University of Nebraska and the Texas Biomedical Research Institute are recommending more research into how cannabis-derived CBD might help treat dangerous lung inflammation from the novel coronavirus. The authors detailed the evidence for how cannabis’ anti-inflammatory powers may help in a peer reviewed article in this month's issue of Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.

In the article, researchers explain that “recent reports have suggested that acute infection is associated with a cytokine superstorm, which contributes to the symptoms of fever, cough, muscle pain.” These extreme instances of inflammation can lead to severe pneumonia which clog up the lungs, make breathing difficult or impossible. So, one of the important strategies that scientists are studying in the fight against COVID-19 is reducing inflammation.

In particular, researchers are looking at drugs which reduce IL-6 cytokine activity. In a recent study, one such drug, Tocilizumab, was able to clear out patients' lungs, and resulted in recovery for 90% of the patients treated. Unfortunately, it also produced serious negative side effects like inflammation of the pancreas and hypertriglyceridemia (a risk factor for coronary artery disease). This has led researchers to continue the search for anti-inflammatory strategies - preferably ones that aren’t as harsh on these already critically ill patients.

Dry cannabis leaves, cannabis plant and cannabis oil on table

That’s where cannabis comes in. The authors explain that several cannabinoids in the cannabis plant have anti-inflammatory properties. In particular, they point to CBD as the most likely candidate for treating COVID-19 related inflammation. CBD has shown serious anti-inflammatory properties in previous studies, it doesn't create the disorienting psychotropic effects associated with cannabis’ most common chemical THC, and it has already been approved by the FDA as safe for children with intractable epilepsy. If successful at reducing inflammation for COVID-19 patients, it could be a safer alternative to other anti-inflammatory options.

Why do researchers believe CBD can help with COVID-19, specifically?
For one thing, the authors explain that previous research has shown that CBD can reduce a number of pro-inflammatory cytokines including IL-6, the one reduced by other drugs being studied for COVID-19. CBD was also shown to reduce interleukin (IL)-2, IL-1α and β, interferon gamma, inducible protein-10, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, macrophage inflammatory protein-1α, and tumor necrosis factor-α - all of which are associated with the pathology of severe cases of COVID-19. In addition to reducing these pro-inflammatory cytokines, CBD has also been shown to increase the production of interferons, a type of signaling protein that activates immune cells and prevents viruses from replicating.

Previous research also supports the idea that CBD can specifically reduce lung inflammation. In an animal study on asthma, CBD was able to reduce production of proinflammatory cytokine production, actually reducing airway inflammation. In the same study CBD also reduced pulmonary fibrosis - a condition where lung tissue becomes damaged and scarred, thickening lung tissue and making breathing more difficult. This is important, because COVID-19 can also leave patients with serious pulmonary fibrosis.

The authors also note that CBD isn’t the only cannabinoid that shows promise as an anti-inflammatory medicine. THC has also shown powerful anti-inflammatory results, but it’s less well tolerated than CBD, with common symptoms like disorientation, anxiety, and increased heart rate. Research on CBD, on the other hand, shows it to be safe and well-tolerated with dosing as high as 1500 mg a day, for a period of up to two weeks. The authors explain that this “suggests its feasibility to reduce SARS-CoV2 induced lung inflammation/ pathology and disease severity.”
A sign placed outside a CBD store in Murray Hill during the coronavirus pandemic.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 05: A sign placed outside a CBD store in Murray Hill during the coronavirus ... [+] pandemic on May 5, 2020 in New York City. (Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images

While negative side effects are minimal with CBD, the article’s authors point out that CBD may have a side benefit for patients with the disease - reduced anxiety. “The many uncertainties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic such as status of the economy, employment and loss of connection can fuel depression, fear and anxiety” they explain, pointing out that the increased inflammation in COVID-19 may also trigger increased levels of anxiety. But CBD has shown serious promise for the management of anxiety, and may help reduce these challenging levels of stress.

No peer reviewed studies to date show that cannabis or it’s compounds can help with COVID-19 specifically, but the authors of this article say the evidence suggesting that it may help is worth further investigation. They recommend that scientists begin studies to investigate whether CBD can be used to reduce inflammation and anxiety in COVID-19 cases, as an adjunct to antiviral medications.

While this doesn’t suggest cannabis should be considered a cure or treatment of COVID-19 on it’s own, it does suggest that it may have potential to help bring down inflammation and reduce anxiety in those suffering from the disease. But until more studies are done, this is just a well-supported theory. Direct experimentation is needed to bring us real answers.

Our state fair in WA has been canceled, it’s in September. We have around 38,000 cases of Covid since the end of February when this whole nightmare started. WA is slightly smaller in size than the state of Arizona. I don’t know how we compare in population? We have a statewide mask order from the Gov.

This whole idea about opening schools in brick and mortar fashion in another month, this is crazy. There needs to be precise guidelines from the CDC without manipulation from higher up. Our children, teachers, bus drivers and staff need to work in a safe environment. They deserve that much. How long will out door classes last come October? Our rainy season starts up.
I can see full time classes in areas where the Covid virus has a low rate of infection. We do need our children back in school but the states need to get the infection levels down. Maybe close bars and restaurants? They cannot even test enough folks for the illness or contact tracing. It’s like our recovery is being sabotaged by wrong decision making.

Are you kidding me, not funding schools with fed dollars if schools don’t fully open. Schools are mostly funded by the states but get fed funds as well. We are continuing to feed breakfast and lunches for our low income families since March and through the summer.

There is no damn plan for schools to open nationwide. They left everything up to the states to figure out. We already have a plan from the board of directors, unions and the state school superintendent in my state. They started working on a plan as soon as school was ordered closed. We haven’t gotten jack shit from the CDC how we are suppose to open? Where I work we will have a hybrid start to the year is what I hear. We need students 6 feet apart so the students in the classrooms need to be cut in half. Instead of 24 in a small room there would be 12. The students and staff would wear masks. Students would be part online and part in the school building. I personally would like to be tested regularly.

Europe has the virus rates down, U.S citizens cannot even travel there because we might infect Europeans, WTF! It’s really frustrating.
I hope I didn’t get too political, I tried to hold back.:BangHead:

Last edited:
This is a passionate subject that has real world implications for each & every one of us as well as those we love. Whilst there has been no real political references made lets try to keep it that way.

I am utterly bewildered by America's handling of this pandemic. Please listen to Dr Fauci. His only vested interest is in saving lives. He is an expert on virology. He knows what he is talking about.

Our state fair in WA has been canceled, it’s in September. We have around 38,000 cases of Covid since the end of February when this whole nightmare started. WA is slightly smaller in size than the state of Arizona. I don’t know how we compare in population? We have a statewide mask order from the Gov.

This whole idea about opening schools in brick and mortar fashion in another month, this is crazy. There needs to be precise guidelines from the CDC without manipulation from higher up. Our children, teachers, bus drivers and staff need to work in a safe environment. They deserve that much. How long will out door classes last come October? Our rainy season starts up.
I can see full time classes in areas where the Covid virus has a low rate of infection. We do need our children back in school but the states need to get the infection levels down. Maybe close bars and restaurants? They cannot even test enough folks for the illness or contact tracing. It’s like our recovery is being sabotaged by wrong decision making.

Are you kidding me, not funding schools with fed dollars if schools don’t fully open. Schools are mostly funded by the states but get fed funds as well. We are continuing to feed breakfast and lunches for our low income families since March and through the summer.

There is no damn plan for schools to open nationwide. They left everything up to the states to figure out. We already have a plan from the board of directors, unions and the state school superintendent in my state. They started working on a plan as soon as school was ordered closed. We haven’t gotten jack shit from the CDC how we are suppose to open? Where I work we will have a hybrid start to the year is what I hear. We need students 6 feet apart so the students in the classrooms need to be cut in half. Instead of 24 in a small room there would be 12. The students and staff would wear masks. Students would be part online and part in the school building. I personally would like to be tested regularly.

Europe has the virus rates down, U.S citizens cannot even travel there because we might infect Europeans, WTF! It’s really frustrating.
I hope I didn’t get too political, I tried to hold back.:BangHead:

Ouch, question everything! double so from our so called experts, i listen then take what they say with a critical grain of salt and ask myself what's in for them?? $$ (is it really about health?)
In the States unfortunately almost everything gets politicised, by virtue signaling the bobble heads who feel the need to grand stand and impose their ideological will onto others who disagree with their status quo, even more so during the circus we call election season (here we are)

Please listen to Dr Fauci. His only vested interest is in saving lives. He is an expert on virology. He knows what he is talking about.
Oh you! That charlatan can suck it

mask.jpg

Last edited:
Went to E.R. last night. Checking in there was an elderly man ahead of me, describing symptoms of COVID-19. His family member was listing his symptoms, and the man sat in his wheelchair crying, "I don't want to die".
They took me to a hall with no C-19, but when I was led out, we went by room after room of patients with oxygen masks. The E.R. was packed in the COVID area.
I don't mind wearing a mask. I can't go outside without a top on, and it's not like there aren't other rules for outside dress in consideration of others, including needing shirts and shoes in public establishments.
I'm still torn up about that elderly gentleman.
I hope he makes it through.

Turns out death (as an indicator) is complicated. From The COVID Tracking Project.
There’s been a lot of discussions about deaths continuing to trend down as cases have surged. This chart provides a partial answer to what’s been happening. The falling numbers in the NE were offsetting rising deaths in AZ, TX, FL.

EccQMs4UEAEfoPX

Turns out death (as an indicator) is complicated. From The COVID Tracking Project.

EccQMs4UEAEfoPX
IMO comparison of those two graphs is very misleading. The key to validating the claim that other decreases in deaths in other states are offsetting rises in cases in a handful of states would be a graph plotting rise in cases and the percentage mortality. Something like this which is a bit dated, but this is the kind of comparison that informs. Just comparing deaths within and without certain areas is not telling at all, IMO.

1594396342372.png

Might also want to take a look at the trend data available here...again for Texas but its DHS data so should be available for all areas.

It appears to me that the slope of fatalities has stayed flat and linear while the slope of new cases has increase somewhat.

But I agree with this quote erroneously attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (but I bet he wished he said it! haha): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Play with it enough, and you can make any data set sing whatever song you like.

Last edited:
Here, for example, are plots of new cases and deaths in FL....sadly, not the rate or percentage mortality....but still, we can see that new cases have increase about an order of magnitude (from about 1K to about 10K) while rolling average deaths have increased by a factor of 1.5 from 40 to 60. Or, other than rolling average....just looking at deaths it goes up from about 40 to about 120...still, times three compared to order of magnitude increase in new cases

1594397280942.png

1594397342841.png

Last edited:
Here, for example, are plots of new cases and deaths....sadly, not the rate or percentage mortality....but still, we can see that new cases have increase about an order of magnitude (from about 1K to about 10K) while deaths have increased by a factor of three from 40 to 120.

Helpful, but we also need to account for the lag between new cases and deaths. The current surges in new cases took off around mid-June, so we'd just now begin to see that reflected in death counts.

Didn't find at first (blame twitter), but The COVID Tracjing Project has a recent blog post that discusses the factors involved a little more.

Why Changing COVID-19 Demographics in the US Make Death Trends Harder to Understand
COVID-19 death data lags behind testing data in ways we mostly understand. What we only partly understand is how an infection rate that seems to be skewing younger will affect the death toll in surging regional outbreaks.

By Whet Moser
June 26, 2020

New daily positive cases only began to exceed the plateau of the previous two weeks around June 18-19, which means that an increase in deaths as a result of the rise in new cases would not be expected to show up until July...

In areas where younger adults are driving new infections, we might not see deaths spike until infections overflow into more vulnerable populations. “If what is happening are outbreaks in young people, it seems likely that these young people will go on to transmit to others in their communities,” [University of Florida biostatistics professor Dr. Natalie] Dean writes in an email. “This spillover would cause a subsequent rise in cases among older people, followed by a lagged rise in deaths...”

If case counts are truly rising among younger Americans, another variable in the death toll will be which younger Americans contract COVID-19. A recent working paper from the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, looking at deaths from February 1 through May 20, found that Black people with COVID-19 in the 25-34 age group had a mortality rate 7.3 times that of non-Hispanic white people. The disparity was nine times higher in the 35-44 age group… and then actually falls back to 6.9 times higher for the 49-54 group. The mortality rate ratios for Hispanic people compared to non-Hispanic white people was also elevated: 5.5, 7.9, and 5.8 for those same age groups.

Folks can be in the hospital with severe Covid for a couple months sometimes before they die. Long lag times before people actually die from the beginning when they first get sick. Some people they have to remove from the respirator because they never improve. Whereas other people have the virus and don’t know it and they don’t have any symptoms so they don’t qualify for a test. They spread the illness to others. And people were refusing to wear masks? This is nuts!

Some children are carriers and don’t have any symptoms and can pass it on to others. I work for a school so I’m concerned that I might catch the virus when we go back on Sept 9th, they are starting a week late in order to get things as ready as possible. That’s why I’m talking about wearing a shield. Normally children are packed in classrooms like sardines and cough and blow boogers everywhere while picking their noses. Usually I have tissues close by, staring at green booger’s is something I can’t tolerate.

How about teenagers walking through the hallway, shoulder to shoulder between classes? How do we keep ourselves safe? Thank goodness for the teachers union. There is no handle on this pandemic and no leadership in some parts of America. We only have our state leadership at this point, no federal help for the most part. States seem to be on their own. That’s ok when it comes to weed legalization but not a pandemic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back