Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Dabpress Rosin Plates

Just feel lucky you got a gauge, poor bastards like me have none. We're gaugeless souls in a gauged world. The agony!

I thought I needed one but after a while you get a feel for what works based on the effort needed.

When I added an air assist I had to relearn by sound rather than effort.

I bet after a while you barely look at it.
Yea I'm using my gauge as it's there and is a guide
But you are right, I am starting to get the idea where it needs to be without looking after a few uses
You poor gaugeless bastard!!!!

.It's Friday night...squish night.

Same method, 10g of June 2018 buds stored at 62%RH, 40mm puck 3 mins at 2250 to 2750 at 220f;
Lights and temperature scale installed;
IMG_20190809_163936.jpg

No directional flow paper this time, close to escaping but stayed on the paper luckily.
Psychoanalyst picture...what do you see?;
IMG_20190809_170231.jpg

I see a big dab;
IMG_20190809_180713.jpg

A 1.96 gram dab, so 19.6% return, gunna have to pull out more stems to hit that magic 20%, sneaking up on it.

Edit, just read the date on the jar in the pic.

Last edited:

Same method, 10g of July 2018 buds stored at 62%RH, 40mm puck 3 mins at 2250 to 2750 at 220f;
View attachment 11823

No directional flow paper this time, close to escaping but stayed on the paper luckily.
View attachment 11824

I see a big dab;
View attachment 11825

A 1.96 gram dab, so 19.6% return, gunna have to pull out more stems to hit that magic 20%, sneaking up on it.

That is still an impressive yield on 13+ month old flower. Your upcoming flower will yield more as I suspect it'll have more terpenes yet? Diggin the setup and layout, looks like you have plenty of room and not cramped!

Your upcoming flower will yield more
Still got another 3 jars after that one gets emptied, might have to try a couple of different vintages, just to see.

Still got another 3 jars after that one gets emptied, might have to try a couple of different vintages, just to see.
As @psychonaut said, it can be good to experiment with smaller amounts
I have been doing 2g squishes lately with different variables on the same bud to get an idea how it reacts best before doing a big squish with it

These are my test loads before trying an oz. (I am keeping notes on time, heat, etc), 10g blowout no worries, chalk it up to learning!

I think the maximum easy amount will probably be 2x 10 g pucks as they are a tight squeeze height wise and will definitely need directional flow parchment paper.
I actually caught the drips in the silicon pucks but ended up collecting the on my chisel tool so I could weigh the final return (might weigh the pucks next time to make things easier)

These are my test loads before trying an oz. (I am keeping notes on time, heat, etc), 10g blowout no worries, chalk it up to learning!

I think the maximum easy amount will probably be 2x 10 g pucks as they are a tight squeeze height wise and will definitely need directional flow parchment paper.
I actually caught the drips in the silicon pucks but ended up collecting the on my chisel tool so I could weigh the final return (might weigh the pucks next time to make things easier)

Yes, 2x 10g pucks is going to be about the most you can press out at once using the pm40r mold. Might be able to get 12g x2 if the material is picked through and de-stemmed down to like 0.25g chunks. For an ounce, we don't have a pre-press for it yet because it takes a lot of pressure to create a dense puck, hard to do by hand. It'll also take a larger filter like 3x7", though hand stuffing one of those filters will likely not be able to contain an ounce.

10g sounds like a small sample with your jar count!

Yea I'm just doing the 2g squishes as I get a nights dabs and get to try more variables in a week or day without making heaps of rosin ATM or only getting one squish a week in to test all my variables
I get 5 different press trials out of the 10g and can hone the particular bud quicker, then press big amounts with repeatable results on the different buds

I get 5 different press trials out of the 10g
A 2g load will act quite differently to what 10g puck will (need a shorter heat soak, pressures will be completely different, 2250-2750 was the guide pressure for a 40mm puck).
So my reconning is that I will always be doing at least 10g (or 2x 10g) so may as well get it right for that amount to start with, may as well take advantage of the capacity.

Same method, 10g of June 2018 buds stored at 62%RH, 40mm puck 3 mins at 2250 to 2750 at 220f;
View attachment 11823

View attachment 11824

I see a big dab;
View attachment 11825

Edit, just read the date on the jar in the pic.

I'm finding rosin squeezed from older buds stays cleaner in my nail and saionara. Less likely to budder as well.

The terpenes change too, still there but more subdued. In some cases more mellow, on those buds that have harsh terps early.

This latest press is the best tasting yet, the only difference was this was a higher temperature, I thought the higher temp would gain on return but lose a bit of flavor, I was wrong on both counts (a tiny bit more return)

Placed the puck on top of my ultrasonic cleaner that was working at 60 degrees C to melt the rosin flat, makes it a lot easier to grab a dab!
IMG_20190810_130219.jpg

Last edited:
A 2g load will act quite differently to what 10g puck will (need a shorter heat soak, pressures will be completely different, 2250-2750 was the guide pressure for a 40mm puck).
So my reconning is that I will always be doing at least 10g (or 2x 10g) so may as well get it right for that amount to start with, may as well take advantage of the capacity.
The bud presses pretty much the same if a 2g bud or a 10g puck

I know this via two things
- @psychonaut suggests this as a way to trial your buds
- I have been doing so and getting the same results and yields out of a bud or a puck

If anything you may get less yield from a puck as there is more material in the path to catch your rosin or soak it up before it drips

And by your logic you should be pressing two pucks at a time to get your results them not one as it would be different.....

It's not a matter of how much the press can take or how much material I have to press

It's a matter of how much rosin do I want in storage as opposed to fresh whilst I am getting the characteristics of each bud type
Two or three 2g presses that take no time to do or effort and I am pretty good to press as much as I like with repeatable results

And I haven't had to wait a week between presses to do so
Or vape more than needed of waxy or chlorophyll filled rosin from a press that was not great results

Then I can make bulk if I have needs for such quickly and effectively

I didn't bring this up as an argument

Merely what @psychonaut had suggested and I had found quite useful

Squish on mate squish on....

EDIT
On the dab grabbing, I have been using the dab tool I will dab with to grab, and then a dab tool with a silicone end on it to hold the rest of the rosin in the puck
I find it easier to pull out the size dab I need with out having the whole lot come out

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of starting small to figure out temps, once it's dialed in can just press it all and freeze it. I don't hardly use flower so it tend to be how long do I wanna cure my flower for before pressing?

Lots of options, but I prefer the more cured resin about 3 months. I'll probably press a couple ounces at that point.

If you do store in the freezer I'd just suggest a glass container that's air tight to keep out moisture, then in a zip lock bag.

I'm a big fan of starting small to figure out temps, once it's dialed in can just press it all and freeze it. I don't hardly use flower so it tend to be how long do I wanna cure my flower for before pressing?

Lots of options, but I prefer the more cured resin about 3 months. I'll probably press a couple ounces at that point.

If you do store in the freezer I'd just suggest a glass container that's air tight to keep out moisture, then in a zip lock bag.
What about the silicone pucks? Are they good freezer containers?
How long do you keep your rosin for in a freezer without degradation?

I'm also using less and less flower these days

I did a 10 g squish today after doing a number of 2 g test runs on this new bud
I got a number of different results using the same pressure and heat but using different times ranging from 15-18%

I believe that this bud tops out at about 18% as I was able to repeat this twice using the same settings
I used the same settings for the 10g puck and also got 18%
I also did the double squish but got nothing extra out of it this time when usually I can get something
So the first press and settings must have done the job pretty well
As long as I keep getting 18+ I am a happy camper

Really nice and yummy rosin this bud produces
Tastes and hits are both quality
It buddered up on the edge of the plates
The drips and rosin surrounding bud was the more sticky/solid kind

2500 stepped up to 3000 for 3mins at 105 C/221 F
2500 step up to 3000 at about 2.15/2.30 mins
1.8 grams of quality goodness :)

Now I can hit this bud properly and know I'm not wasting any good honey

Drip shots

20190810_185501.jpg
20190810_185512.jpg
20190810_185613.jpg
20190810_185619.jpg

Splatter pics
20190810_185713.jpg
20190810_185725.jpg

Budder shots

20190810_185930.jpg
20190810_185934.jpg

A 2g and 10g post press puck
Surprisingly similar size and thinness after squishing
The 10g has blown out after the second squish attempt, it was much neater looking before I folded it in half and double squished
20190810_192053.jpg
20190810_192059.jpg

1.8 g of yum
20190810_195229.jpg
20190810_195241.jpg
20190810_195244.jpg

Friday Night, you guessed it, squish night!
I had 9.25g of bubble hash that was contaminated with lab filter paper that used to leave my Halo pretty dirty (bubble hash 4wd terp balls).
So I did a smaller press than normal, 9.25g instead of 10g;

IMG_20190816_190806.jpg

Hand stuffed into a 2x4 37au bag, 195f for 2.5 mins at 2250, 30 seconds at 2500, probably a little too high (later pics).
Rosin started flowing almost immediately and had me rushing to tilt the frame for Driptech;

IMG_20190816_190842.jpg

it kept flowing;

IMG_20190816_190908.jpg

and flowing;

IMG_20190816_190930.jpg

Oops, a bit of a blowout;

IMG_20190816_190947.jpg

No matter, I collected the middle section and pressed it again, this looks better (almost needed directional flow on the repress, close to the edge);

IMG_20190816_191010.jpg

New use for my homemade IH, not too many can do this to help clean off the collection chisel/tool;

IMG_20190816_191140.jpg

A few minutes on top of the warm ultrasonic cleaner and I ended up with this;

IMG_20190816_193623.jpg

I think I may have mucked up which puck I put the final product in as my sums added up to 5.8g return and it looks more like 4g, not sure so I weighed the puck full and will reweigh when empty for a confirmation of weights.
Had a little dab and it was sooo good, smoothest shiz I have had on the nail and the Sic Halo likes it too, very little cleanup.
Happy dabbing fellow inmates.

I had 9.25g of bubble hash that was contaminated with lab filter paper that used to leave my Halo pretty dirty (bubble hash 4wd terp balls).

View attachment 12074

Hand stuffed into a 2x4 37au bag, 195f for 2.5 mins at 2250, 30 seconds at 2500, probably a little too high (later pics).
Rosin started flowing almost immediately and had me rushing to tilt the frame for Driptech;

View attachment 12075

it kept flowing;

View attachment 12076

and flowing;

View attachment 12077

View attachment 12078

No matter, I collected the middle section and pressed it again, this looks better (almost needed directional flow on the repress, close to the edge);

View attachment 12079

New use for my homemade IH, not too many can do this to help clean off the collection chisel/tool;

View attachment 12080

View attachment 12081

I think I may have mucked up which puck I put the final product in as my sums added up to 5.8g return and it looks more like 4g, not sure so I weighed the puck full and will reweigh when empty for a confirmation of weights.
Had a little dab and it was sooo good, smoothest shiz I have had on the nail and the Sic Halo likes it too, very little cleanup.
Love squishing kief
I am sure the bubble hash makes amazing rosin
Kief gives great yields too

I normally don't squish my bubble as it is so good and tasty on its own

But a great way to make use of the paper tainted hash though

I don't get nearly as much kief now that I am dabbing more though...

View attachment 12074

View attachment 12075

it kept flowing;

View attachment 12076

and flowing;

View attachment 12077

View attachment 12078

View attachment 12079

View attachment 12080

View attachment 12081

You've come a long ways, pilgrim. Your fully in the rabbit hole now.

@LesPlenty nice squish! That's a good size glob of rosin that dripped out, good job recovery on the blowout as well, looks nice. I am going to get my squish this weekend, need to see how these 3 month cured nugs do! I need to see if I can get a video of the sauce plate in action with a time lapse.

----------------

CA (CANADA) warehouse has been restocked, we hope to replenish the stock before it sells out next time.

Here are the products that are restocked -

DP-BJ3T33
DP-BJ6T35
DP-RP35S
DP-RP37
DP-HR10T35V

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back