Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
"What’s the upside (for the state) here? I don’t get it. This is pure political meanness.”

Yes it is and I fervently hope that the FL electorate makes them pay and pay at the polls of the next election.

Florida's medical marijuana patients still prevented from smoking cannabis

Despite a judge’s favorable ruling last month, Florida’s medical marijuana patients remain legally prohibited from smoking cannabis.

On May 25, Leon County Circuit Court Judge Karen Gievers said the Florida legislature’s ban on smoking medical weed was unconstitutional and gave the state a Monday deadline to establish a distribution system for dispensaries. Floridians voted by a 71 percent margin in 2016 to legalize medical marijuana with a constitutional amendment that included no restrictions on modes of consumption.

The Florida Department of Health, however, has requested a stay on Gievers’ ruling pending a review by the First District Court of Appeals, which means the ban remains in effect until yet more legal hurdles are cleared. People United for Medical Marijuana have filed a motion for immediate resolution with the Florida Supreme Court.

Parrish resident Cathy Jordan, a longtime ALS patient whose debilitating symptoms are relieved only by smoking marijuana containing the psychoactive ingredient THC, has a special court-certified exemption to grow small amounts of personal-use weed. She and her husband Bob were disappointed in the state’s attempt to overrule Judge Gievers.

“We want to get that (smoking ban) lifted so patients can still smoke the flower until it goes to the Supreme Court, which could be a couple of months or it could be a year,” said Bob Jordan on Tuesday. “There are thousands of patients like Cathy who can’t afford to wait. What’s the upside (for the state) here? I don’t get it. This is pure political meanness.”

"What’s the upside (for the state) here? I don’t get it. This is pure political meanness.”

Yes it is and I fervently hope that the FL electorate makes them pay and pay at the polls of the next election.

Florida's medical marijuana patients still prevented from smoking cannabis

Despite a judge’s favorable ruling last month, Florida’s medical marijuana patients remain legally prohibited from smoking cannabis.

On May 25, Leon County Circuit Court Judge Karen Gievers said the Florida legislature’s ban on smoking medical weed was unconstitutional and gave the state a Monday deadline to establish a distribution system for dispensaries. Floridians voted by a 71 percent margin in 2016 to legalize medical marijuana with a constitutional amendment that included no restrictions on modes of consumption.

The Florida Department of Health, however, has requested a stay on Gievers’ ruling pending a review by the First District Court of Appeals, which means the ban remains in effect until yet more legal hurdles are cleared. People United for Medical Marijuana have filed a motion for immediate resolution with the Florida Supreme Court.

Parrish resident Cathy Jordan, a longtime ALS patient whose debilitating symptoms are relieved only by smoking marijuana containing the psychoactive ingredient THC, has a special court-certified exemption to grow small amounts of personal-use weed. She and her husband Bob were disappointed in the state’s attempt to overrule Judge Gievers.

“We want to get that (smoking ban) lifted so patients can still smoke the flower until it goes to the Supreme Court, which could be a couple of months or it could be a year,” said Bob Jordan on Tuesday. “There are thousands of patients like Cathy who can’t afford to wait. What’s the upside (for the state) here? I don’t get it. This is pure political meanness.”

Rick Scott being a prick about this just cost him the election.

Rick Scott being a prick about this just cost him the election.

Did something happen (your primary isn't until late Aug, right) or are you predicting?

Did something happen (your primary isn't until late Aug, right) or are you predicting?

I’m part of a pretty big medical marijuana community here, and every single one of them despise him now because of this. Even the Republicans said they plan to vote for Nelson just to screw Scott, or just not vote at all. I really don’t think Rick Scott has enough support to win anymore.

I am thankful that in MD, localities were not given the opportunity to opt out of the program. Facilities still need to get local zoning approval and that's a lot of the delay in opening of some dispensaries. I a fan of states rights and by extension to local control, but if you get down to a very local level, the politics are often bizarre like this here.

South Florida city bans dispensaries; mayor tells residents to buy medical marijuana on Internet

State law allowing medical cannabis 'gigantic scam,' says politician

TAMARAC, Fla. - Tamarac Mayor Harry Dressler has some unorthodox ideas about medical marijuana and the amendment -- supported by 70 percent of the voters -- that made it legal in Florida.

"It's a gigantic scam," Dressler said, adding later, "I would resent it having the state being my dope dealer."

More Marijuana Headlines
On Wednesday night, Dressler's city banned medical marijuana dispensaries in the city, meaning that its 65,000 residents will have to go elsewhere for medicinal cannabis. But Dressler advice for residents who want medical marijuana might be even more controversial than the vote itself. He told them to buy it on the Internet.

"If you're looking for medical marijuana … you can get that stuff without a prescription on the Internet," he said on the dais before the vote. "It comes as an oil and, I think, if I get the letters right, I think it's CBD, or CDB."

CBD is the part of the cannabis plant that is not psychotropic and does have medicinal value. It is sold online by a number of companies. Dressler claimed THC, the chemical in cannabis that affects the mind and is responsible for the "high" feeling, doesn't have medical value.

"If we allowed this in our city, we'd have people going in, 'Oh, I want some of the Bolivian Blue, or whatever the names are for different kinds of pot, with different sensations and different levels of strength and hallucinatory issues to it," Dressler said. "If you want medical marijuana for the reasons that I cited, you can go online. There's 20 different companies. You find the one you think is reputable."

The problem: THC is widely considered to have considerable medicinal value. Former cancer patient Bruce Vanaman, for instance, credits THC specifically, which was recommended to him by a physician, with helping him to survive the disease and he said Dressler needs to "be set straight."

"I cannot believe there is someone like that that is allowed to speak in public and thinks that they represent the voice of people who voted for this," Vanaman said. "I find that very dangerous for people to be recommended to go on the Internet and buy something on the Internet that they cannot verify themselves or have tested or have recommended by their doctor. THC ... is used for very specific ailments, not just pain control, but also PTSD, Parkinson's, tremors, in my case, nausea."

When questioned Friday, even Dressler conceded that THC has been shown to help cancer patients recover and, in an unforeseen twist, the mayor said he actually favors citizens having the right to grow it themselves and keeping the government out of it altogether. But he stood by his comments from Wednesday night when he said, "I don't think for a second these dispensaries are intended to dispense medical marijuana -- they're going to be weed shops."

Vanaman said Dressler couldn't be more wrong and urged people in Dressler's city to seek advice from their doctor.

"It's an outright lie to say this is a sham," Vanaman said. "Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have gotten these recommendations from doctors. We need to let qualified people make these decisions, not politicians."

And round and round it goes.

Florida smokable medical marijuana ruling put on hold

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida circuit court has reinstated a stay on smoking medical marijuana.

The state’s 1st District Court of Appeal has ruled that the hold will remain in effect “pending final disposition of the merits of (a recent) appeal.” The Department of Health appealed to a higher court earlier this month after Leon County Circuit Court Judge Karen Gievers upheld her May 25 ruling that the Florida Legislature’s provision banning smokable medical marijuana is unconstitutional.

This is the second medical marijuana case that the 1st District is taking up. Gievers ruled on April 11 that a Tampa man — Joseph Redner — is entitled under state law to possess, grow and use marijuana for juicing. Redner was prescribed juicing treatments from his doctor to prevent a relapse of Stage 4 lung cancer.

And round and round it goes.

Florida smokable medical marijuana ruling put on hold

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida circuit court has reinstated a stay on smoking medical marijuana.

The state’s 1st District Court of Appeal has ruled that the hold will remain in effect “pending final disposition of the merits of (a recent) appeal.” The Department of Health appealed to a higher court earlier this month after Leon County Circuit Court Judge Karen Gievers upheld her May 25 ruling that the Florida Legislature’s provision banning smokable medical marijuana is unconstitutional.

This is the second medical marijuana case that the 1st District is taking up. Gievers ruled on April 11 that a Tampa man — Joseph Redner — is entitled under state law to possess, grow and use marijuana for juicing. Redner was prescribed juicing treatments from his doctor to prevent a relapse of Stage 4 lung cancer.

I hate Rick Scott and Pam Bondi too.

Wow, not even wanting to comment on FL's sell out to a couple of large MJ corps. I think the menu says it all:

Brevard's first medical marijuana dispensary opens in Palm Bay

upload_2018-6-22_9-28-33.png

Brevard County's first medical marijuana dispensary officially opened in Palm Bay on Thursday.

And, thanks to word-of-mouth, Curaleaf was already a popular place even before its mid-afternoon ribbon-cutting event.

More than 50 people, carrying medical marijuana cards, ventured into Curaleaf to purchase products ranging from capsules to oils to flowers.

More: Florida judge lifts stay on smokable medical marijuana

Welcome to a new world of pain treatment on the Space Coast, where eligible patients have a new way of relieving everything from nausea and chronic pain to post-traumatic stress disorder.

Prior to the opening of Curaleaf at 1420 Palm Bay Road NE, the nearest medical marijuana dispensaries to Brevard were in Vero to the south in Indian River County and Edgewater to the north in Volusia County.

"It's very important to the residents due to the fact that many of them that suffer from the conditions that can be treated by medical marijuana have to drive many hours to pick up their orders," said Michelle Terrell, director of sales and marketing for Curaleaf.

"This was a location that we definitely saw that needed a lot of attention," she said.

636651934979488322-Curaleaf2.JPG
Buy Photo
A vaporizer capable of doing flower or oil. Curaleaf, the first medical marijuana dispensary to open in Brevard, opened Wednesday with a soft opening and a grand opening Thursday. The dispensary, on Palm Bay Road, had more than 50 customers by mid- afternoon Thursday. (Photo: , MALCOLM DENEMARK/FLORIDA TODAY)

Curaleaf representatives believe a competitor, Trulieve, will soon open a location on Malabar Road.

The new Curaleaf location was a welcome site for Chris Haver of Palm Bay.

Haver said he suffers from PTSD and he had been getting deliveries from Curaleaf in Edgewater. Accompanied by two service dogs, Haver had no problem explaining the benefits of medical marijuana.

Cynthia Brewer, medical marijuana patient advocate, talks about the future of medical marijuana in Brevard. Video by Malcolm Denemark

“It’s 100 percent non-addictive,” Haver said. “And no one had ever died from it. It’s also an alternative to opioids.”

But for those thinking they can easily walk in and purchase a cannabis product at dispensaries like Curaleaf, they'll be disappointed. Patients need to be seen by a certified physician who diagnoses the person as suffering from one of the 10 conditions covered under the state's medical marijuana laws.

More: Florida's hands tied in prosecuting people with out-of-state medical marijuana prescriptions | Opinion

From there patients must sign up with the state's medical marijuana users registry.

After that it takes 10-15 days to receive a registration card/number. At Curaleaf first-time customers have to show ID, and the registration number, and meet privately with a trained consultant on the available medical marijuana options. All of it is based on the doctor's recommendation.

More: Medical marijuana dispensaries OK'd to open in March in Brevard

Currently there are 13 doctors in Brevard licensed to give the OK on medical marijuana. That's a number expected to grow each year, as likely will the number of dispensaries.

"For patients that have cancer, it has been helping with their nausea and vomiting and helping them increase their appetite," said Dr. Bhavin Patel. "They're getting their weight back. Their mood is better."

Patel, who also runs Health Options Consulting, a medical marijuana physician education consultancy, said he and others want to help control the medical marijuana network in Florida so it grows in a responsible way.

More: Opinion: Why I voted against medical marijuana ban

"We want to make sure physicians prescribe correctly, based on the regulations," Patel said. "We don't want the same thing to happen like it did with the pill mill market and opioids."

Florida voters in 2016 voted in favor of the constitutional amendment, known as Amendment 2, to allow medical marijuana for certain medical conditions. Amendment 2 gave doctors the authority to recommend marijuana for patients who have AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cancer, Crohn's disease, epilepsy, glaucoma, HIV, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, post-traumatic stress disorder and other debilitating medical conditions.

Brevard County commissioners debate regulation of medical marijuana dispensaries.

Brevard's 16 cities and town have a patchwork of rules related to medical marijuana facilities, according to a Planning and Development Department analysts. Some have banned them entirely, while others have moratoriums in place.

Palm Bay, Rockledge, Satellite Beach and Titusville are among the Brevard municipalities that will allow such facilities.

In February, Brevard County Commissioners approved medical marijuana dispensaries in unincorporated Brevard County.

Wow, not even wanting to comment on FL's sell out to a couple of large MJ corps
I have a bad feeling that this is going to become the norm across the country. The entire legalization process has been a watch what you wish for situation. If you recall, my prediction was that eventually all plants and plant material will become illegal and we will be forced to only use products like those on the above menu that are manufactured by these larger corporations. They can't control a plant... or the people who grow them individually. So what better way to 'control' the situation than saying you can't have them? :twocents:

Not only is Scott a complete and utter wanker, I do not understand how he thinks trying to thwart the expressed democratic will of the FL citizens is going to help him get elected to the US Senate.

FL, 86 this motherfucker.

Rick Scott's fight against smoking medical marijuana could affect next presidential race | Editorial

Two years after Florida voters overwhelmingly approved the use of medical marijuana, Gov. Rick Scott continues to try to stop patients with chronic diseases from smoking a drug their doctors say could help them.

It’s not just the governor who’s stood in the way of the 2016 constitutional amendment that legalized cannabis for certain patients, an amendment approved by 72 percent of Florida voters.

Last year the Florida Legislature passed a law banning smokable cannabis, a method proponents say is easier, less expensive and brings quicker relief than edibles, vaporizers, oils and sprays.

For understandable reasons last month, a circuit court judge struck down the smoking ban.

The constitutional amendment references smoking, after all. It says smoking medical marijuana in public places doesn’t have to be accommodated. It’s clear the amendment anticipates that cannabis would be smoked — just not in public places.

Leon County Circuit Judge Karen Gievers ruled the ban violates patients’ constitutional rights. In her 22-page ruling, she said Floridians “have the right to use the form of medical marijuana for treatment of their debilitating medical conditions as recommended by their certified physicians, including the use of smokable marijuana in private places.”

But here comes the governor, announcing he would appeal the ruling. The state Department of Health argues it “goes against what the Legislature outlined when they wrote and approved Florida’s law.”

Don’t you hate how government can endlessly fight something it doesn’t like, while spending someone else’s money — yours?

750x422

Florida's new medical marijuana amendment will allow doctors to order medical marijuana for people suffering from certain medical conditions. Click through to see which conditions make a patient eligible for treatment.

In addition, the ballot language gives doctors the power to order marijuana for "other debilitating medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to those enumerated, and for which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient."

Read the complete story here.

(Selima Hussain, Associated Press)
Give it up, governor.

Trust that voters knew what they were doing when they passed the constitutional amendment pushed by Orlando trial attorney John Morgan, who promised this lawsuit if you signed the ban into law.

Consider people like Cathy Jordan of Manatee County, who has ALS — amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. She told the Associated Press that smoking marijuana dries her excess saliva, increases her appetite and works as a muscle relaxer.

“So many people won’t smoke due to the stigma and it being against the law. This is legitimate medicine,” said Jordan, one of the plaintiffs. “This ruling is not just for me, but for many other people.”

Smoking marijuana is a more affordable option than vaping, said Ben Pollara, who was the campaign manager for the medical marijuana amendment.

“It is the (method) most people are most comfortable with. It’s also the most effective delivery system,” he said. “There’s also the basic notion of voter intent. They were thinking about the green leafy stuff you smoke.”

The governor’s lawyers argue that smoking marijuana isn’t an appropriate way to administer medicine. But do they have medical degrees? Shouldn’t doctors decide the best administration method?

Lawmakers also argue that allowing cannabis to be smoked will open the door to recreational use.

But the ban on smokable cannabis could now have that effect.

On Tuesday, Morgan announced he would lead a referendum to ask voters in 2020 to legalize recreational marijuana in Florida.

In an email to the Orlando Sentinel, Morgan said he believed such a constitutional amendment “would pass overwhelmingly. And I believe in light of President Trump’s position, America is ready and willing.”

Earlier this month, Trump said he was inclined to support a bipartisan congressional effort to end the federal ban on marijuana, allowing states to determine the best approach.

Putting a marijuana amendment on the Florida ballot in a presidential election year will surely draw voters who might not otherwise turn out. Given Florida’s role in presidential politics, such an amendment could well affect who will be our next president.

Perhaps it’s too late for the governor to avert such an amendment. But before causing any more political damage or spending any more taxpayer money, he should end his appeal, do what voters intended and accept that medical marijuana, in all its forms, is here to stay.

Editorials are the opinion of the Sun Sentinel Editorial Board and written by one of its members or a designee. The Editorial Board consists of Editorial Page Editor Rosemary O'Hara, Andy Reid and Editor-in-Chief Julie

“I respect the 1st DCA immensely, but no matter what, this goes to the Supreme Court, so why not now,” Morgan, who has repeatedly called on Gov. Rick Scott to drop the state’s appeal, said in an email Tuesday. “It is just a waste of time and taxpayer money. Cathy Jordan may die as this snails its way through the system. All of this proves why people don’t trust politicians. They know what they voted for.”
I continue to view embedded self-serving politicians in FL, and other states that are thwarting the directly expressed will of the electorate, to be an even much larger and more critical issue to our country and our democracy that just MJ legalization. There is a lot of wailing about how the institutions of democracy are being undermined in our country lately but none of it seems to focus on this issue of politicians refusing to respect the result of a vote (oh...come to think of it, that actually does sound familiar).

Florida: Smoking medical marijuana not allowed while legal fight continues

Chiding a judge who sided with sick patients and saying plaintiffs likely won’t win on the merits of the case, an appellate court on Tuesday refused to allow smokable medical marijuana while a legal fight continues to play out.

The ruling by a three-judge panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal came in a lawsuit initiated by Orlando trial attorney John Morgan and others who maintain that a Florida law barring patients from smoking their treatment runs afoul of a 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

Leon County Circuit Judge Karen Gievers in May agreed with Morgan, who largely bankrolled the constitutional amendment, and plaintiffs in the case. The state appealed, touching off legal maneuvering that led to the appellate panel Tuesday issuing a five-page decision that effectively blocked Gievers’ ruling while the case continues.

“I respect the 1st DCA immensely, but no matter what, this goes to the Supreme Court, so why not now,” Morgan, who has repeatedly called on Gov. Rick Scott to drop the state’s appeal, said in an email Tuesday. “It is just a waste of time and taxpayer money. Cathy Jordan may die as this snails its way through the system. All of this proves why people don’t trust politicians. They know what they voted for.”

Cathy Jordan, one of the plaintiffs in the case, credits a daily regimen of smoking marijuana with keeping her alive decades after doctors predicted she would die from Lou Gehrig’s disease. Jordan, who grows her own pot, testified that smoking marijuana treats a variety of life-threatening side effects of the disease and that other forms of ingestion don’t have the same positive impact.
Gievers agreed with lawyers representing Jordan and the other plaintiffs. They contended that it was understood that the constitutional amendment allowed smoking, though it did not expressly authorize it.

State health officials, who answer to Scott, immediately appealed Gievers’ May 25 ruling, automatically putting her decision on hold. On June 5, Gievers lifted the stay, saying Jordan and Diana Dodson, a plaintiff who has neuralgia associated with HIV, would suffer without having access to smokable marijuana.

On the other hand, “there is no evidence the defendants (the state) will suffer harm if the stay is vacated,” the judge wrote.

“Lifting the stay preserves the status quo by returning the law to its previous state as it existed following the 2016 adoption of the constitutional medical marijuana rights” and before the 2017 law went into effect, she added.

But the appeals court Tuesday quashed Gievers’ decision to lift the stay and directly contradicted the circuit judge. Appellate judges Joseph Lewis, Lori Rowe and M. Kemmerly Thomas found that the plaintiffs “failed to demonstrate that they will suffer irreparable harm if the automatic stay is reinstated.”

Noting that a trial court may vacate an automatic stay only “under the most compelling circumstances,” the judges also scolded Gievers, saying “it was an abuse of discretion for the circuit court” to lift the stay.

Even more, the panel signaled bleak prospects for Morgan and the plaintiffs, at least as far as the appellate court --- which also rejected a request to rush the case to the Florida Supreme Court --- is concerned.

“Here, after the panel’s preliminary review of the wording of the medical marijuana amendment and the statute prohibiting the use of medical marijuana in a smokable form, we conclude that appellees (the plaintiffs) have not sufficiently demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits as required to justify vacating the automatic stay,” the judges wrote.

The 2016 amendment “authorized medical marijuana for qualifying patients with certain debilitating medical conditions but authorized DOH (the state Department of Health) to issue reasonable regulations to ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients,” Tuesday’s order said.

In addition, the judges pointed out that the amendment provides that “(n)othing in this section shall limit the Legislature from enacting laws consistent with this section.”

The judges noted that Gievers and the appellate court also have been at odds in a separate lawsuit filed by Tampa strip club owner Joe Redner, a lung-cancer survivor who wanted the state to allow him to grow his own medical marijuana for juicing purposes. Gievers sided with Redner, but, as in the smokable marijuana challenge, health officials’ appeal put her ruling on hold.

The appellate court in Redner’s case, mirroring Tuesday’s order, upheld the automatic stay, deciding that he had little chance of winning on the merits of his case. And the appeals court also refused to speed up his case by moving it to the Supreme Court.

The legal tangle over whether patients should be able to smoke marijuana --- one of at least eight marijuana-related legal or administrative challenges about the state’s burgeoning cannabis industry --- is also playing out on the political stage in Florida.

Morgan, a political rainmaker who supported Hillary Clinton for president and who toyed with the idea of running for Florida governor as a Democrat or an independent, has framed smokable medical marijuana as a make-or-break issue in Scott’s general election contest against incumbent U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson. Nelson has also come out in support of allowing patients to smoke medical marijuana.

“This is not surprising and why it should go to the Supreme Court now,” Morgan tweeted Tuesday, referring to the 1st District Court of Appeal order. “It’s not a matter of if but when. So why waste taxpayers money. Vacating a stay is impossible. This issue will haunt @FLGovScott in November when his ‘stay’ will be over!”

Now, if you want to talk state government abject stupidity and bone-headiness....I give you Florida.

Florida to issue four more medical marijuana licenses

Florida Department of Health officials took two major actions in the medical-marijuana sphere Friday, issuing a highly sought-after license to a Miami nursery that successfully challenged the state and laying out the process for four more licenses as the cannabis industry continues to blossom.

In a blistering opinion last month, Administrative Law Judge John Van Laningham recommended that health officials grant a medical marijuana license to Nature’s Way Nursery of Miami, Inc. The June 19 recommended order scalded the state Office of Medical Marijuana Use for using a flawed system to decide which applicants were granted the coveted licenses.

While Van Laningham’s order was just a recommendation, health officials on Friday issued the license to Nature’s Way and reduced the number of available slots as hundreds of applicants are expected to compete to join a highly restricted market in one of the country’s most populous states.

At the same time, health officials laid out the framework for a new process to handle what they expect to be up to 400 applications for four licenses that recently became available because the number of eligible patients in a statewide database has exceeded 100,000.

John Lockwood, a lawyer who represents operators in the marijuana industry, hailed the department's moves Friday.

"It takes these four licenses that they have to issue by statute and removes them from the litigious issues. These are just four open, competitive licenses. So in my opinion this is a very, very smart move by the department to get these licenses to market as quickly as possible. This is the way it should be done," he said.

But it’s unclear whether Friday’s moves by the health department will appease critics — including legislators, patient advocates and marijuana industry operators — who have blasted the agency for delays in issuing new licenses.

Florida’s medical marijuana industry has been mired in controversy since its inception in 2014, when lawmakers legalized non-euphoric cannabis and authorized five licenses.

The already intense competition for the licenses intensified after voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2016 that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

A law passed last year, aimed at implementing the constitutional amendment, required health officials to issue 10 new licenses, including to applicants who had legal challenges pending as of January 2017 or who had scored within one point of the highest-ranked applicants in five regions.

Health officials initially said Nature’s Way was ineligible for a license because its aggregate score of 2.8833 was not within one point of the 4.4 received by Costa Farms, which was granted a license for the Southeast region in 2015.

But as he had previously done in an unrelated challenge, Van Laningham found that health officials’ ranking of the applicants — the method used to determine which ones would get licenses — was not the same as scoring the applications.

“To repeat a point that cannot be stated enough, it is impossible to determine a quantifiable ‘point’ difference between the rankings of Best and, e.g., Fourth Best,” he wrote in the lengthy opinion that included pages of mathematical analysis and charts.

The health agency’s licensure Friday of Nature’s Way means that 14 licenses have been issued. It also shrinks the number of available licenses, because six of the 10 licenses authorized under the 2017 law have already been doled out. One of the new licenses not yet issued must go to a black farmer who was part of class-action lawsuits, known as “Pigford” cases, about discrimination by federal officials.

The new law also required health officials to give preference for two licenses to applicants who own facilities that were used to process citrus, the subject of at least one lawsuit.

Because of the litigation regarding the citrus preference, the department is holding off on accepting applications for the remaining two licenses, according to a news release issued Friday.

But the state is moving forward with a process for four new licenses ordered under a different part of the law, which requires health officials to grant four licenses after at least 100,000 qualified, eligible patients have enrolled in a statewide database, a benchmark that was recently surpassed.

“The Florida Department of Health is committed to ensuring qualified patients have safe, reliable access to low-THC cannabis and medical marijuana,” agency officials said in the release. “In an effort to continue to expand availability of this treatment, the department will accept applications for registration as a medical marijuana treatment center through a new rule. This new rule addresses the Pigford class license and the four additional licenses available upon reaching 100,000 patients, as outlined by the Florida Legislature in 2017.”

The Office of Medical Marijuana Use had originally planned to issue the four licenses spawned by the increase in the number of patients to applicants who were “runners-up.” But the agency has yet to begin accepting applications for the new licenses.

The Office of Medical Marijuana Use is asking the Legislature for more money as it prepares for an influx of applications in a state where one license — tied to an operator that had not yet begun selling cannabis — recently sold for $53 million.

Less than two weeks after the state’s new fiscal year began July 1, the office is asking the Joint Legislative Budget Commission for nearly $13.3 million in additional money to cover its expenses this year.

The request includes more than $7.3 million to handle what health officials, who have contracted with the firm KPMG to process and score the applications, estimate will be up to 400 applications, with an estimated price tag of $18,354 each to review, according to documents posted on the commission’s website.

The health department, which is currently fending off at least 10 legal or administrative challenges, is also estimating it will need an additional $1.5 million for current and future lawsuits, and $3.4 million for a seed-to-sale tracking system.

Well, its a start.

Embattled Florida Medical Marijuana Chief Resigns

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida medical cannabis director Christian Bax, who has been a frequent target of lawmakers and patients over delays in the program, is stepping down.

The Department of Health said on Friday that Bax’s resignation takes effect on Friday, Aug. 10, 2018. Deputy Director Courtney Coppola has been named the interim director.

Bax had led the Office of Medical Marijuana Use (OMMU) since it was created in 2015. He wrote in his resignation letter that “it has been an incredible honor to have served the Department and the State of Florida in the task of building something entirely new in the state.”

During his three-year tenure, Bax’s leadership has been beset by legal challenges mostly related to the process of awarding licenses for medical cannabis growers and distributors. The office is also involved in a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of patients being able to smoke medical marijuana.

Orlando attorney John Morgan, who spearheaded the passing of the state’s constitutional amendment legalizing medical marijuana in 2016, has been the most vocal of Bax’s critics. On Friday he said he hoped that there would be some improvement immediately since “it is hard to do worse than zero.”

“This guy was so terrible for sick and injured people that anyone would be better suited. I feel like his actions were intentional,” Morgan said.

Bax has frequently drawn the ire of state lawmakers and patients over delays in the program, ranging from licensing to delays in patients being able to receive identification cards so they could receive cannabis.

There is a provision in the current state budget that withholds nearly $2 million in salaries until the department can fully implement medical cannabis.

The state’s Joint Legislative Budget Committee added $13.3 million to the OMMU’s budget to help with litigation costs, review applications for new licenses and implement a new seed-to-sale tracking system.

According to the Department of Health’s weekly updates, the state registry is adding nearly 3,000 new patients per week. On Friday, July 27, 2018, the state listed 107,127 qualified patients.

“The bipartisan frustration with the slow implementation of this law has been well documented. Last week, Ms. Coppola gave the Legislature a plan to finish implementation of the law,” Republican state Sen. Rob Bradley said in a text message. “Now that she is in charge, our expectation is for her to execute her plan and finish the job.”

Marijuana ruling could lead to changes in 2017 law, lawmakers say

Incoming Senate President Bill Galvano told POLITICO that the ruling could lead to a rewritten law, but added that nothing will be decided with next year’s legislative session seven months away. | AP Photo

TALLAHASSEE — The Leon County Circuit Court ruling that rejected the licensing structure for medical marijuana businesses could lead to big changes to the law during next year's legislative session, according to key state lawmakers.

State Sen. Jeff Brandes, (R-St. Petersburg), told POLITICO that Judge Charles Dodson’s decision to reject “vertical” licenses that require businesses to both sell and grow medical marijuana will force state lawmakers to rewrite the law they passed more than a year ago.

“I think you’re going to see a completely rewritten law,” Brandes said of the medical marijuana expansion law enacted in 2017. “You’re also going to see the medical marijuana industry become completely upended."

“This is why I voted against it,” said Brandes, who had unsuccessfully campaigned for the use of "horizontal" licenses, which would not have required companies to both sell and grow medical cannabis.

The prospect for a rewrite of the law underscores the continuing uncertainty surrounding Florida’s medical marijuana expansion, following delays in its implementation and the departure last month of a key official involved in carrying it out.

In the ruling handed down Aug. 2, Dodson wrote that vertical licensing, which places medical cannabis cultivation, distribution and sales under one business license, restricts access to the drug. In doing so, he argued, it clashes with the 2016 constitutional amendment approved by 71.3 percent of voters, which required access to be as easy and safe as possible. Lawmakers wrote the 2017 law in the wake of the amendment’s adoption.

Incoming Senate President Bill Galvano (R-Bradenton) told POLITICO Tuesday morning that the ruling could lead to a rewritten law, but added that nothing will be decided with next year’s legislative session seven months away.

State Sen. Rob Bradley (R-Fleming Island), who sponsored the law, took issue with the ruling, and said the licensing framework has adequately served the state's rapidly growing industry.

“The trial court ruling injected unnecessary uncertainty into the emerging medical marijuana marketplace,” Bradley said. “I’m confident that our appellate courts will uphold the constitutionality."

Dodson also rejected the cap on licenses to operate what the law calls medical marijuana treatment centers, which also hinders access, he argued.

“Such limits directly undermine the clear intent of the amendment, which by its language seeks to prevent arbitrary restrictions on the number of MMTCs authorized to conduct business in the state,” Dodson wrote.

Dodson gave the state until Oct. 3 to fix the law. Any subsequent order could be sent for review by the 1st District Court of Appeal.

Medical cannabis industry lobbyist Nick Iarossi said the appellate process would leave the ruling in flux for several months, giving the Legislature time to consider any changes.

“By the time it goes through appeals court, even the Supreme Court, that could be about the time session starts, maybe afterward,” Iarossi said. “There's plenty of time to address anything.”

Dodson’s ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed in December by Tampa-based Florigrown. He denied the company’s request for a temporary injunction.

But the order was effectively an eight page instruction manual to fix the law, Florigrown CEO Adam Elend said.

“Although we didn’t succeed in our motion, our goal was to put this in front of a judge and show them what they were doing is not constitutional,” Elend said. “That’s exactly the way he ruled.”

Legal fights and vendor feuds have delayed implementation of the law by several months. Some of those issues have since been resolved, allowing the law to reach its full potential, Bradley said.

“Floridians rightfully expect to have access to safe, quality medical marijuana, and also expect that the product be regulated properly like any other medicine,” he said. The law "accomplishes both goals.”

Florida moves forward on marijuana licenses

State health officials will hold a workshop Aug. 17 to take input on the application process for new medical marijuana licenses.

The workshop, announced Thursday, will deal with one license earmarked for a black farmer who was a member of litigation dealing with federal discriminatory lending practices and four other licenses for applicants seeking entry into the state’s highly restricted medical marijuana market.

The Legislature ordered the new licenses following the passage of a 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana in Florida.

The Legislature passed a law last year that required health officials to issue 10 new licenses, including to applicants who had legal challenges pending as of January 2017 or who had scored within one point of the highest-ranked applicants in five regions.

Last month, the health department issued a license to Nature’s Way Nursery of Miami, Inc., shrinking the number of available licenses, because six of the 10 licenses authorized under the 2017 law have already been doled out.

The law also required health officials to give preference for two licenses to applicants who own facilities that were used to process citrus, the subject of at least one lawsuit.

Because of litigation regarding the citrus preference, the department is holding off on accepting applications for the remaining two licenses.

But the state is moving forward with a process for the black farmer’s license and with an application process for four licenses ordered under a different part of the law.

The measure requires health officials to grant four licenses after at least 100,000 eligible patients have enrolled in a statewide database, a benchmark that was recently surpassed.

Office of Medical Marijuana Use interim director Courtney Coppola told a state legislative panel last month her office expects at least 400 applications for the four slots.

The upcoming application process will be the first opportunity for new operators to try to gain entry to Florida’s booming medical marijuana market, which is projected to generated $2.5 billion in revenue in less than a decade.

Floridians are clamoring for medical marijuana jobs -- but state laws limit opportunity

Florida’s burgeoning medical marijuana industry is struggling to fill vacant job openings despite having thousands of people in the state who hoped to work in the industry.

“We get hundreds of applications for every job opening we have,” a spokesman at an Orlando dispensary recently told the Orlando-Sentinel Newspaper. “And maybe only 10 percent of those are qualified and meet the legal requirements.”

The problem, in large part, goes back to Florida’s medical marijuana legalization program, one that the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) has described as “one of the more dysfunctional programs in the United States.”

Prior possession charges weeding out candidates
An overwhelming 70 percent of Florida residents voted to legalize medical marijuana in 2016, but it was up to state lawmakers and regulators within the health department to smooth out the details before the law could be implemented.

Dispensaries began opening their doors last year, and patients have signed up to join the program at a rapid fire pace. An estimated 147,000 residents now carry medical marijuana cards. Those in the industry predict that dispensaries could create 25,000 jobs by 2022.

But included in the state’s long list of regulations is the stipulation that dispensary employees undergo background checks. Anyone found with a felony on their record is automatically disqualified.

Misdemeanor charges could also pose a problem under the state laws, industry experts say. “Sometimes you can get by with a low-level, misdemeanor possession charge, but not always,” another industry spokesman told the Sentinel.

To give more people hoping to join the workforce a chance, the Miami-based firm HempStaff has a somewhat ironic idea. People hoping to work in the medical marijuana industry “should avoid bringing up any illegal activity regarding cannabis in an interview,” the firm reportedly warns job candidates.

FL, IMO, delivered their med program directly into the hands of well politically connected, big money, corporations....without regard for impact on citizens and their meds. Glad I don't live there anymore.

Florida: Legal battles mount over marijuana licenses

As the values of medical-marijuana operations skyrocket, wrangling over Florida’s limited number of pot licenses continues to escalate. Five wannabe operators who got shut out of the state’s first round of medical-marijuana licenses three years ago and recently were shot down a second time are asking a judge for help.

But first, Administrative Law Judge G.W. Chisenhall has to settle an even more basic argument: How many licenses are up for grabs?

Florida Department of Health officials maintain only two licenses are available under a 2017 law aimed at implementing a voter-approved constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana. The 2017 law was also intended to curb litigation related to the highly sought-after licenses.

But the rejected applicants contend that, if they meet eligibility requirements under the law, they should get licenses, no matter what the number. The five applicants have filed administrative challenges seeking to overturn health officials’ decisions to deny them licenses.

Meanwhile, another batch of prospective medical-marijuana operators trying to intervene in the challenges believe they’re entitled to two of the licenses, thanks to a citrus-related preference carved into the 2017 law.

Chisenhall deferred a ruling about whether to consolidate the five license challenges and whether to allow intervention by two firms trying to stake a claim to the citrus preference until he decides on the number of licenses at stake.

The “number of medical marijuana treatment center licenses that are still available would likely have a substantial impact on how” the five cases proceed, Chisenhall wrote in a Sept. 7 order.

The administrative law judge gave the petitioners until Friday to submit responses “addressing the Department of Health’s assertion” that they “are competing for only two available” licenses. He gave the health department until Sept. 21 to file a reply.

The confusion over the number of licenses and who gets them is the latest storm since the inception of Florida’s medical-marijuana industry in 2014, when lawmakers legalized non-euphoric cannabis and authorized five licenses.

A full rollout of the industry — projected to generate more than $1.5 billion in sales by 2020 — has been delayed by legal and administrative challenges, and the already-heavy competition for licenses in one of the nation’s most populous states intensified after voters approved the constitutional amendment nearly two years ago.

The latest challenges were filed by Dewar Nurseries, based in Apopka; Spring Oaks Greenhouses, based in Umatilla; Tree King-Tree Farm, based in New Port Richey; Perkins Nursery, based in LaBelle; and Bill’s Nursery of Homestead. The challenges were spawned by the 2017 law, which ordered health officials to issue 10 new licenses, and by health officials’ response to an administrative law judge’s recent scalding analysis of licensing decisions.

Under the law, health officials were required to issue licenses to applicants who had sought licenses in 2014 and who had legal challenges pending as of January 2017 or who had scored within one point of the highest-ranked applicants in five regions during the first round of licensing. Another license must go to a black farmer who was involved in federal litigation over unfair lending practices.

Also, the law told health officials to give preference for two licenses to applicants who own facilities that were used to process citrus.

The health department has issued seven of the 10 new licenses and must keep one for a black farmer. That means there are only two licenses left, the state argued in numerous filings related to the administrative complaints.

The new challenges followed a blistering June recommended order by Administrative Law Judge John Van Laningham in a case involving Nature’s Way Nursery of Miami, Inc. Van Laningham shredded the department’s Office of Medical Marijuana Use for using a flawed system — which he said created a “dumpster fire” — to decide which applicants were granted the coveted licenses.

Van Laningham said Nature’s Way was eligible for a license under the “one-point” provision in the law, contradicting what he called the state’s faulty scoring method. Although they said they didn’t agree with Van Laningham’s decision, health officials granted Nature’s Way a license in July, prompting the five challenges by applicants whose requests for licenses were subsequently denied. All say they, too, are eligible for a license because they fall within the one-point requirement.

“Perkins Nursery is entitled to a license pursuant to Florida law for the same reasons the department recently issued a license to Nature’s Way Nursery. We are not asking for special treatment and are instead asking the department to apply the same standard to Perkins as it did to Nature’s Way,” Jim McKee, a lawyer representing Perkins, told The News Service of Florida.

Adding to the consternation of the rejected applicants, health officials late last month sent notices to the citrus-related entities, indicating there may not be any citrus preferences available for licenses because of the other challenges.

“Anyone with a substantial interest in the remaining two licenses should take appropriate legal action,” Department of Health Chief Legal Counsel Amanda Bush wrote in the Aug. 27 letter.

Lawyers representing Dewar called the notice — which prompted two potential applicants to try to intervene in the five cases — a “highly unusual act.”

In the filings due Friday, the rejected applicants will also to try to convince Chisenhall to ignore the health department’s position that only two licenses are available.

In a Sept. 6 motion, for example, Dewar’s attorneys questioned “whether the department can refuse to license an applicant that fits the statutory requirements if it reaches the purported 10-license cap.” Dewar also asked “whether, if there are only two licenses, all of the challenging parties are competing for them.”

Another component of the 2017 law could make matters even murkier. The law required health officials to issue four additional licenses once the number of eligible patients in a statewide database reached 100,000, a benchmark that was recently surpassed.

The health department has proposed a rule to set up the process for the four new licenses, but the proposed rule has been challenged, which could result in further delays.

The applicants also could try to use the four additional licenses to persuade Chisenhall to reject health officials’ contention that they are limited to issuing just two.

The wrangling over the licenses comes amid international investment in Florida’s burgeoning marijuana industry.

Last month, William “Beau” Wrigley Jr. — an heir to the Wrigley gum fortune — led a $65 million round of funding in Surterra Wellness, one of Florida’s 14 licensed medical marijuana operators.

In a $93 million deal, Toronto-based Scythian Biosciences Corp. announced in July it intends to purchase a company that will take over the grower 3 Boys Farms, which received a license last year after suing the state. The deal also includes purchasing an unnamed “health care organization” as part of Scythian Biosciences’ entry into the booming U.S. cannabis market.

They are going to get slaughtered over this stance, I hope, and rightly so.

'A mistake:' Florida GOP candidates take risk in backing Scott's medical marijuana smoking ban

The Republicans running to succeed Gov. Rick Scott, and those trying to hold onto Florida Cabinet seats, are all supporting his decision to fight medical marijuana patients in court — even though the politics of pot could work against the party this fall in Florida.

A circuit court in May struck down a Scott-approved law banning the smoking of cannabis or its purchase in its common bud form; Scott is now appealing that ruling. And in supporting Scott's fight to uphold the law, gubernatorial candidate former Rep. Ron DeSantis, attorney general candidate Ashley Moody and state agriculture commissioner candidate Matt Caldwell have all opened themselves up to criticism from their Democratic rivals, including Democratic gubernatorial nominee Andrew Gillum, who is running ahead of DeSantis by 3 percentage points and 4 percentage points, respectively, in two recent polls.

Some fellow Republicans say the GOP candidates are thwarting the clear will of the 71.3 percent of Florida voters who approved a state constitutional amendment legalizing medical marijuana in 2016.

“As a Republican I’m deeply concerned with their position. The support for medical marijuana, even among conservative voters, is overwhelming,” said Roger Stone, a Florida-based Republican operative and longtime on-again, off-again adviser to President Donald Trump.

“It’s a mistake and it’s a potentially problematic position if it gets widespread exposure because, in the meantime, while politicians fight in court about this, sick people go without medicine and needlessly suffer and perhaps in some cases may even die,” Stone said.

DeSantis, who has shied away from giving in-depth views about a host of Florida issues, said he wanted to wait on the courts and indicated he would say more if he were elected in November.

“I’ll look at the law when I get in. But I can tell you this: I’m committed to implementing the will of the voters. I think this has gone on a long time. I think voters spoke very clearly,” DeSantis said. “And so when I’m governor, we will implement the amendment and go forward. And I’m not going to dilly-dally around. So if they get a favorable or a negative ruling between now and then, I’ll obviously consider that. But my intent is to go forward.”

But since a judge already issued a negative ruling, DeSantis was asked at a press conference: Why not drop the challenge Scott is pushing?

“They’re appealing it, though. That’s what I’m saying. I want to see what happens with that,” DeSantis said. “Look, if the law is X, then I’ll implement X. But if it’s Y, I’m gonna implement Y. And so that’s just the way it’s gonna be.”

When asked for comment, Gillum’s campaign swiped at DeSantis for failing to “put patients first and give them access to the care they need.”

Gillum supports full legalization and taxation of marijuana; he argues that state Capitol Republicans have botched medical marijuana implementation and that too many people are incarcerated for possessing a drug that’s safer than alcohol.

Scott, who is leaving office as governor due to term limits and is now running against Sen. Bill Nelson, has refused to say why he’s appealing the case or why he signed a law that was clearly heading for defeat in court; the drafters of the amendment and the language of the amendment itself, after all, mentioned smoking and did not call for a ban on it.

“What’s important to me is people have access to the medicine they need, and people all across the state have access to this, but I’m also going to continue to follow the law,” Scott said.

Democrats who want to join Gillum on the Florida Cabinet — attorney general candidate Sean Shaw and Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried — made it clear they’re making medical marijuana a campaign issue.

In a written statement, Shaw accused Republicans of pushing a “political agenda. As Attorney General, I will not tolerate this inaction and political grandstanding. I'll hold the Tallahassee politicians accountable and ensure people who need marijuana for medical purposes can access it — Ashley Moody, my opponent, won't.”

In a written statement, Moody did not give her opinion about the law but noted that “after extensive hearings, the legislature, in balancing its responsibility to protect the welfare of Floridians with its mandate to allow for medicinal use of marijuana, enacted law that did not permit the smokable form of marijuana, but made the drug legal for specific purposes. When a defense of state law is justifiable, there exists a duty to defend that law in court and, thus, the litigation to clarify the amendment's scope is reasonable and not unexpected in light of the significant change to Florida's drug laws.”

Fried issued a written statement that echoed the criticisms of the Democrats and Stone.

“Floridians spoke loud and clear in 2016, and they have a constitutionally enshrined right to access smoke-able medical marijuana,” she said. “Does my opponent, Matt Caldwell, support this waste of taxpayer dollars, against the choice of Floridians? As your Commissioner of Agriculture, we will ensure that patients have complete access to medical marijuana, just as the people intended.”

Caldwell’s answer: yes, he supports the lawsuit and the legislation that he voted for as a state representative.

“The Florida Constitution clearly leaves the decision regarding medicinal cannabis to the Legislature. More importantly, smoking is not a medicinal delivery system; for example, doctors don’t prescribe smoking opium instead of prescribing codeine,” Caldwell said. "This lawsuit is just a fig leaf for full recreational use, which I believe should be left to the voters to decide.”

The man who drafted the amendment, Orlando trial lawyer John Morgan, said Caldwell was wrong on both the language of the initiative and its intent.

Morgan, a Democrat who announced last year he would be an independent and not run for governor, said he has plans to contribute to Gillum’s campaign, classifying himself as a “top tier” donor.

Morgan contributed more than $6 million of his own cash toward a 2016 ballot initiative to expand the use of medical cannabis. The measure, known as Amendment 2, passed with a resounding 71.3 percent of the vote. In response, state lawmakers passed a law last year allowing a greater number of illnesses to be treated with cannabis, and providing rigid regulatory framework allowing the industry to grow.

The Legislature also included in the law a ban on smoking medical marijuana, which prompted Morgan to file a lawsuit in Leon County Circuit Court two weeks after the law took effect in June of last year.

Morgan filed the case on behalf of Manatee County resident Cathy Jordan, who has Lou Gehrig’s disease, and Levy County resident Diana Dodson, who has AIDS. After a May 14 trial, Leon Circuit Judge Karen Gievers agreed the ban blocked patients from the seemingly unfettered access intended by Amendment 2, which was co-written by Morgan.

“If I were Scott, I would listen to what Cathy Jordan has to say,” Morgan said.

Stone said he believed DeSantis’ opposition to adhering to the will of the people is one of a few factors that gives his Democratic opponent, Gillum, the edge in a race in which “there’s an excitement deficit.”

Stone said he saw the benefits of marijuana for his father and grandfather who died from cancer.

"They found relief with medical marijuana. It eased their suffering," Stone said. "But I had to buy the marijuana illegally. And I'm glad I did. But there's no way this should be a crime."

Now personally, I wouldn't care if he was running under the American Communist Party banner...so far, he seems to be one of the few politicians in FL who understand the tenets of democracy.

AG nominee Sean Shaw says he's withdrawing appeal to smokeable marijuana suit
So far, efforts to legalize smokable marijuana in Florida have gone up in smoke.

TAMPA, Fla. -- Despite voters approving a constitutional amendment in 2016 to allow the use of medical marijuana, it's still not legal to smoke it in Florida.

The Democratic nominee for Attorney General, Sean Shaw, announced Friday he plans to withdraw his appeal to a smokeable marijuana lawsuit.

"It does not take a rocket scientist to tell you that the nation's marijuana laws are counterproductive," Shaw said. "It doesn't even take a politician to tell you that."

Shaw said Florida has "begun the process of removing restrictions and decades of criminalization."

More: Medical marijuana smoking ruling on hold as state appeals judge's decision

Related: Hillsborough County will sue drug-makers after spike in babies born addicted to drugs

In May, a Florida judge ruled that the state's ban on smokable cannabis is unconstitutional. Florida’s Department of Health quickly appealed the ruling, imposing a temporary delay until an appellate court can issue a final order.

The only mention of smoking in the voter-backed amendment’s language and in an intent document during the 2016 campaign was that the legislature and local governments could restrict it in public places.

The legislature last year passed enacting laws that banned the sale of smoking products, citing a health risk.

Florida judge blocks medical marijuana license process

In what could be another delay for Florida’s burgeoning medical-marijuana industry, a Tallahassee judge agreed Wednesday to block state health officials from moving forward with the application process for highly sought-after medical marijuana licenses.

Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson’s verbal order during a hearing came nearly two months after he found that a state law, passed during a special legislative session last year, runs afoul of a constitutional amendment broadly legalizing medical marijuana.

In August, Dodson ruled that a cap on the number of medical marijuana operators included in the law “directly contradicts” the amendment, which was overwhelmingly approved by voters in 2016.

Dodson also decided that the 2017 law is unconstitutional because it requires marijuana operators licensed by the state to cultivate, process, and dispense medical marijuana — something known as “vertical integration” — as opposed to breaking the activities into separate parts for licensure.

And the judge ruled that the state improperly restricted who could get licenses. The law ordered health officials to grant licenses to operators who were already up and running in Florida or who were involved in litigation as of Jan. 1, 2017. The law also required a license for a black farmer who meets certain conditions and set aside a preference for applicants with certain ties to the citrus industry.

The citrus and black-farmer provisions amounted to what is known as a “special” law, Dodson ruled in August. The judge found the 2017 law restricts rights granted under the Constitution and that plaintiff Florigrown LLC “has a substantial likelihood of success” in its claim that the law conflicts with the amendment.

Despite multiple findings in his August decision that the statute is unconstitutional, Dodson waited until Wednesday to issue the temporary injunction sought by Florigrown, a company that was turned down for a license. Florigrown is partly owned by Tampa strip-club operator Joe Redner, who recently won another ruling against state health officials in a case in which he is seeking to grow his own marijuana to “juice,” something the 77-year-old’s doctors recommend to prevent a recurrence of lung cancer. The state has appealed the ruling in the earlier case.

“It’s good news for me. It’s good news for Florigrown. It’s good news for the patients and the Constitution of the state of Florida,” Redner said in an interview following Wednesday’s hearing.

In August, the judge set a Wednesday deadline for health officials or the Legislature to resolve the deficiencies with the law. Wednesday marked one year after a deadline imposed by the constitutional amendment for health officials to begin issuing identification cards to patients who qualify for medical marijuana.

“Another two months has passed, and I do believe now we’re at the point where Florigrown will suffer irreparable harm absent the entry of a temporary injunction and that, given the public interest that can’t be more clearly stated than the public stated in the medical marijuana amendment, that allowing this process and procedures going through by the department is not in the public interest,” Dodson said Wednesday.

Luke Lirot, a lawyer representing Florigrown, accused health officials of having “ignored this court’s observations … with impunity.”

“It’s quite candidly shocking that the court would issue an order and it would be so robustly ignored by the Department of Health after there was a clear indication that they needed to do something,” he said.

But Dodson appeared to sympathize with the predicament of state health officials, saying they were in an “unusual situation” trying to follow an unconstitutional statute.

In a video recording of an August rules hearing played by Florigrown’s lawyers Wednesday, state Office of Medical Marijuana Use Director Courtney Coppola said she was “following the law” by moving forward with the application process for four new licenses.

“What Miss Coppola was saying was, we’re following the statute, which is what agencies normally are required to do, but the statute is just unconstitutional,” the judge said. “I’m sure the Legislature was trying its best to comply with the Constitution, but they just didn’t do that in this circumstance.”

Dodson said he would issue a written order granting the temporary injunction by Friday and set a Nov. 16 hearing to consider summary judgment in the case. Health officials said they will review Dodson’s order when it is issued.

“This ruling does not impact the availability of medical marijuana in Florida. Low-THC and medical marijuana has been and continues to be available to the more than 160,000 qualified patients by more than 1,500 qualified physicians through 14 approved medical marijuana treatment centers in 55 locations,” agency spokesman Nick Van Der Linden said in an email.

But Dodson’s ruling “blocks the Florida Department of Health from proceeding forward with the application process for additional medical marijuana treatment center licenses, over the 14 that have already been issued,” Ari Gerstin, a lawyer who represents Florigrown and who participated in Wednesday’s hearing by telephone, told The News Service of Florida.

The process of accepting new license applications is already delayed because of a rule challenge. The health agency is also fending off at least six administrative challenges filed by would-be operators who’ve been turned down for licenses.

After the hearing, Lirot accused state officials of “doing everything they can to deter access to an important medication.”

“I mean, what they’re doing is based to me more on restriction and avarice than it is on compassion, which is what this is all about,” he told The News Service of Florida. Redner was even more blunt. “They’re like petulant children. They just refuse to do the right thing,” he said.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back