Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Growing is so relaxing

Damn, returns are fairly painless at least. I am using a ipower 600w MH/HPS with a cheap reflector hood, wasn't much and the ballast is pretty minimal feature wise, I have a rotary knob to dial down the power in 25% increments =/ One of the things I loved about my mars hydro cree 256 was the ability to dial in Red and Blue from 0-100%. Bloom was 100% red and blue and it just kicked ass, huge canopy coverage and even stretching. One issue I found with that LED was light burn, may times I had some pure white bleached buds on the tops! Talk about intense.

Not sure how easy the return will be yet. It's from a 3rd party selling on amazon, so I deal with them. I emailed them (source hydro) they answered and they seem intent on checking the ballast and sending me another. After reading reviews on these ballasts about error codes I believe I'd like a ballast less "smart" and more basic, so I'd just like my $ back. I'll report how things go.

The cheaper hydrofarm ballast is working fine so far. Instead of it being a backup I think I'll just run it.

I get light bleaching at times as well. There is a certain small area under my raptor hoods that bleaches tops in a small area. My old sun system hood has a spot like that too, adding a light spreader didn't help either.

That's really cool, I'd love to be able to pull that off. You microdose?
Not really. I use an Arizer Solo and my consumption is quite high.

I've had grows in the past using HID and the results were very good . But the heat and the stretching wouldn't work in my small space. I can keep it around 25 Celsius most of the year with 2 LEDS and some CFLs.

Not sure how easy the return will be yet. It's from a 3rd party selling on amazon, so I deal with them. I emailed them (source hydro) they answered and they seem intent on checking the ballast and sending me another. After reading reviews on these ballasts about error codes I believe I'd like a ballast less "smart" and more basic, so I'd just like my $ back. I'll report how things go.

The cheaper hydrofarm ballast is working fine so far. Instead of it being a backup I think I'll just run it.

I get light bleaching at times as well. There is a certain small area under my raptor hoods that bleaches tops in a small area. My old sun system hood has a spot like that too, adding a light spreader didn't help either.

I requested a refund and it looks like that's what's happening. Fed ex picked it up today.

And I ended up ordering another 600w ballast ($99) a hydrofarm, (xtra sun) for vegging. For now I'll use my old lumatek 600w ballast that works sporadically as a backup for both rooms.

I don't get the point of HID, seems like it always consumes more electricity and generates more heat than the same light from LEDs

I'm taking care of 5 people plus myself, off 8 plants in slightly more than 2m sq. with two lights. So I gotta keep my shit tight. Two things about led lights for me, one is the price, two is the heat factor. I use the heat off my lights to heat a flower room and a veg room. Together they're 12x24, and it's in otherwise unheated pole barn. I've seen -10 F in that barn, so if I can use the light heat to my advantage it's win win. And in summer I gotta get rid of heat, hence the sealed hoods. They take in air from my barn and that air/ heat goes thru the hoods and depending on the temps exits into my veg room or out outdoors.

Having said that I like the concept. I use 4, 42w 150w equivalent fouro bulbs for seedlings. I'm replacing them with 150-200w equivalent 23 w led bulbs. It's early but things look ok so far. They're just 5000k house type looking bulbs that fit in the same socket and hood of the flouros I'm using up to now. I'll probably change out my barn lights too. The fluoresent lights start dim in cold weather, and I'm thinking the led lights could do better there as well.

It would not make sense for me to run led lights and a 1500 watt heater, when I can heat and light my room from one 1000watt light. That's my point, lol.

full

Baby loves her COB LEDs! Trying all 300W (150 COB, 150 conventional) early with the lamp in its final position. Looks good so far.

I don't get the point of HID, seems like it always consumes more electricity and generates more heat than the same light from LEDs

For very small scale hobbyists, LEDs are much easier to deal with and worth the modestly higher cost, IMO. In the '90s, had a 400W HID in the same closet, but kept the ballast outside to reduce the heat. Always a little intimidated by it.

I don't get the point of HID
Another reason apart from needing the heat is the price, to replace my 600w HId with equal light will cost about 4x as much to purchase, the ones @psychonaut posted above seem too good to be true, I find LED is good for Veg though but I was using a 90watt UFO for 1 plant until 2 foot tall:thumbsup:

Edit; @psychonaut, that listing for the LED light says it is 'No Noise' but has '3 large fans' in the listing, I am sure that fans make noise.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Cree COB LED Grow Light, 600W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light, Mrhua Indoor Plant Lamps for All Stages of Plants Growth, Ultra-Thin, No Noise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H76V3ZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zpL4BbXPGK3NC

For that price, you probably can't go wrong. 200W COBs will produce significant heat that you'll need to need to deal with. Might want to read some reviews to be sure the fans can handle them.

The lamp used above has three 50W COBs, each surrounded by a ring of conventional LEDs that can be operated independently for less heat and more versatility. Disassembled for a thorough cleaning. It wouldn't be difficult to DIY to save money, but it's a clean, professional job. No regrets.

Here's the light I've recently set up. I had a single 315 which went to a buddy, and this one is different in that the ballast is external (and pretty heavy), it covers about the same size area at 5x5, but doubles up on the output. Here's from the blurb: Each 315-watt lamp produces light equivalent to 500-600 watts of traditional MH/HPS light. Since these lamps draw less than 350 watts of power, that means you can save up to 40% on your power bill while covering the same area. Most growers who use CMH lighting claim higher yields and a big jump in quality. Most growers will use a 630-watt fixture to cover a 5'x5' to a 6' x 6' area. https://www.growlights.ca/growlight...h/standard-630w-cmh-complete-kit-2x-315w.html

I was going to post this in some thread, but couldn't remember which, so here it is...

Here's the light I've recently set up. I had a single 315 which went to a buddy, and this one is different in that the ballast is external (and pretty heavy), it covers about the same size area at 5x5, but doubles up on the output. Here's from the blurb: Each 315-watt lamp produces light equivalent to 500-600 watts of traditional MH/HPS light. Since these lamps draw less than 350 watts of power, that means you can save up to 40% on your power bill while covering the same area. Most growers who use CMH lighting claim higher yields and a big jump in quality. Most growers will use a 630-watt fixture to cover a 5'x5' to a 6' x 6' area. https://www.growlights.ca/growlight...h/standard-630w-cmh-complete-kit-2x-315w.html

I was going to post this in some thread, but couldn't remember which, so here it is...

Fuck’ Made me laugh!

Yeah I'm sure they make noise! Cree cobs are really powerful I've grown some indoor trees with nice buds, heres a dutch passion mazar 5 weeks i to bloom in organic soil grown without pruning under 600w mars hydro cree 256.
I
Back years ago we did not use anything expensive.
CANNABIS was free?
Easy 2 grow?
Last indoor grow was more costly than I can buy it?
I want 2 grow 4 COLAS of length.
My question is about LED LIGHTS?
My 1,000 was so expensive?
I changed to 600 then 400 watt unit’s!
When I build my greenhouse I was planning on using LED’s at night.
What do U think?

I
Back years ago we did not use anything expensive.
CANNABIS was free?
Easy 2 grow?
Last indoor grow was more costly than I can buy it?
I want 2 grow 4 COLAS of length.
My question is about LED LIGHTS?
My 1,000 was so expensive?
I changed to 600 then 400 watt unit’s!
When I build my greenhouse I was planning on using LED’s at night.
What do U think?

Got make do with what you can these days, indoor is the cheapest option in CO. No garden grows only greenhouse. A good 4x4 tent can supply a couple patients easy with 1 or two grows a year.

LED for extra light at night is a great idea! My neighbor was running T5's in his greenhouse at night for tomatoes and said it helped.

600w and the electric bill is still high, I wanna get down to 400w with LED.

Got make do with what you can these days, indoor is the cheapest option in CO. No garden grows only greenhouse. A good 4x4 tent can supply a couple patients easy with 1 or two grows a year.

LED for extra light at night is a great idea! My neighbor was running T5's in his greenhouse at night for tomatoes and said it helped.

600w and the electric bill is still high, I wanna get down to 400w with LED.
In HAWAII we grew outside.
Indoors I’ve done.
Outside grows R bigger from my little experience.
Just let the grass grow 5 feet and super crop your plants. (Reefer madness)
Indoor’s if that’s your preference?

Yet, fingers crossed, I have managed 2x infestations of spider mites on my mumma plant in the 20+ years of indoor growing that I have had a mumma plant.:myday:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back