Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow How big should my grow room be

I'm both impressed, and freaked out. This is a great thread, very informative. I have a tent, lights, fans, and whatever else for hydro, but think I would start with soil because it's more familiar, but then nothing is familiar about indoor growing, so maybe best to get right to hydro...
Growing in the colder part of the year, seems a wise idea. I don't know that growing indoor in Summer would make sense, as I can more easily grow outdoors in Summer.
Food for thought, for sure. As it's almost Spring, it's too late this year, I think, unless I want to get seeds or clones going for outdoors.

Growing in coco coir will give you the same explosive growth as hydro, not sure if it's easier maintenance as hydro can get pretty simple if you have a lot of hardware. For my small garden of only 6 plants I was hand watering them without too much fuss, just have to have a bit of runoff to keep from having nutrient salts building up. I have this plastic shelf unit I sawed down to make a slotted table to hold the pots. Then had some long shallow plastic tubs below to catch the runoff. Used about 8" of floor height so the tent still had plenty of vertical space to spread out the canopy and be ready for bloom.

It's definitely a great way to get your outdoor plants a head start, they'll probably end up being huge if you start them in February and dont harvest until October!

Growing in coco coir will give you the same explosive growth as hydro, not sure if it's easier maintenance as hydro can get pretty simple if you have a lot of hardware. For my small garden of only 6 plants I was hand watering them without too much fuss, just have to have a bit of runoff to keep from having nutrient salts building up. I have this plastic shelf unit I sawed down to make a slotted table to hold the pots. Then had some long shallow plastic tubs below to catch the runoff. Used about 8" of floor height so the tent still had plenty of vertical space to spread out the canopy and be ready for bloom.

It's definitely a great way to get your outdoor plants a head start, they'll probably end up being huge if you start them in February and dont harvest until October!
Excellent point. I'm thinking this would be a wise way to get a head start for seeds. If it's not too much trouble, can you advise about clones? Should I buy in February or March, and let them get bigger indoors? Or take clones from clones? Or are clones better from plants grown from seeds? I can fully justify starting my outdoor grow indoors, to allow them extra growth, or to create more clones.

Excellent point. I'm thinking this would be a wise way to get a head start for seeds. If it's not too much trouble, can you advise about clones? Should I buy in February or March, and let them get bigger indoors? Or take clones from clones? Or are clones better from plants grown from seeds? I can fully justify starting my outdoor grow indoors, to allow them extra growth, or to create more clones.

My research and experience with clones is if you got a good mother candidate, let her get at least 3-4 weeks, a mature plant, then take the lower limbs for your clones. They apparently have more natural rooting hormones than the newer growth up top. I used clonex gel for mine then in a rapid rooter in my clone dome. I think there are some natural organic methods instead of clonex. I haven't got to try those out yet as I've been doing a lot of autos.

From what I hear clones have a less robust root system compared to a seed, but people using clones all over without issue.

That's a good thought, start your mother now, then after 3-4 weeks start taking some clones, they'll be ready in about 10-14 days. Then give them 2+ weeks in the tent with mom veggin' and when you're ready move em out.

My research and experience with clones is if you got a good mother candidate, let her get at least 3-4 weeks, a mature plant, then take the lower limbs for your clones. They apparently have more natural rooting hormones than the newer growth up top. I used clonex gel for mine then in a rapid rooter in my clone dome. I think there are some natural organic methods instead of clonex. I haven't got to try those out yet as I've been doing a lot of autos.

From what I hear clones have a less robust root system compared to a seed, but people using clones all over without issue.

That's a good thought, start your mother now, then after 3-4 weeks start taking some clones, they'll be ready in about 10-14 days. Then give them 2+ weeks in the tent with mom veggin' and when you're ready move em out.
Thank you, @psychonaut. It sounds like now is the time to decide on clones, get ready to start seeds. I'm trying to think of this as fun, not just terrifying. I'm sure it will be worth it to push on now, if it will be positive for the garden.

Thank you, @psychonaut. It sounds like now is the time to decide on clones, get ready to start seeds. I'm trying to think of this as fun, not just terrifying. I'm sure it will be worth it to push on now, if it will be positive for the garden.

FWIW, cloning was pretty damn easy so nothing to be terrified about! Cut the stem at an angle so it has a lot of exposed cut tissue for the root to take. Use your preferred method or rooting, clonex, aloe vera, dip the cutting in it quickly so to seal it up and keep air from getting in, then put it in the rapid rooter. Cut the tips of all leaves all about 1/3 of the way down, keep in a humidity dome and spray the leaves with plain water a couple times a day for about 10 days as that's how they take in water until the roots start. You may have to add water to the humidity dome during the process, mine dried out last time once. Then you'll see roots and you can pot them :thumbsup:

This site is actually an amazing resource, I reference it all the time when I need help. - https://www.growweedeasy.com/cloning-made-easy

FWIW, cloning was pretty damn easy so nothing to be terrified about! Cut the stem at an angle so it has a lot of exposed cut tissue for the root to take. Use your preferred method or rooting, clonex, aloe vera, dip the cutting in it quickly so to seal it up and keep air from getting in, then put it in the rapid rooter. Cut the tips of all leaves all about 1/3 of the way down, keep in a humidity dome and spray the leaves with plain water a couple times a day for about 10 days as that's how they take in water until the roots start. Then you'll see roots and you can pot them :thumbsup:
Sounds easy enough. When I was trying to learn this last year, my Other Son was beating me, and shoving me down the stairs if I tried to go out to the yard or basement. The grow got off to a terrible start. I know it's over, but it doesn't always feel over.
I have rooting hormone, as well as aloe vera and think the most difficult part will be selecting the type to grow. I get to the despensary and they all sound wonderful. Such a nice problem to have.

Exciting @ClearBlueLou !

I am going to be redoing my 4x4 tent lighting this year (again). My 600w HID reflector is just too hot so looking at an LED solution.

These Mars Hydro lights have my attention at the moment. Thinking 4x of these should get a full 4x4 with great light coverage corner to corner.

https://www.mars-hydro.com/hpcall/n...b-300w-waterpoof-no-noise-mars-hydro-for-sale

cob_1.jpg

I almost went with 4x those as well, I liked they were waterproof and silent until I went to the Hydro shops and they all recommended CMH 315w as they all believe these LED lights are really only good for Veg. The 315w CMH runs cooler than a 600w hps. I run my grow lights at night and they sleep during the day to get around heat problems (plus the meter is not whirring when the power company reads it)
I ended up with a 630w DE CMH from a seller that had the MARS in stock and lost money selling me the CMH ($800 instead of $1400) The DE cmh is also dimmable as on full power it has the same PAR as 1400w of HPS!

I keep a mother plant for taking clones and always take the highest tips for cloning. I spray her with water until dripping wet for 4 to 5 days before taking the babies. Clonex will help...a lot, it is fun to play Frankenstein and can be very rewarding!
I grew 4 seeds of the strain I wanted into 2 footers before taking clones and growing them out and picked a single plant as a mother when I confirmed the characteristics I wanted (short and bushy):thumbsup:

I almost went with 4x those as well, I liked they were waterproof and silent until I went to the Hydro shops and they all recommended CMH 315w as they all believe these LED lights are really only good for Veg. The 315w CMH runs cooler than a 600w hps. I run my grow lights at night and they sleep during the day to get around heat problems (plus the meter is not whirring when the power company reads it)
I ended up with a 630w DE CMH from a seller that had the MARS in stock and lost money selling me the CMH ($800 instead of $1400) The DE cmh is also dimmable as on full power it has the same PAR as 1400w of HPS!

I keep a mother plant for taking clones and always take the highest tips for cloning. I spray her with water until dripping wet for 4 to 5 days before taking the babies. Clonex will help...a lot, it is fun to play Frankenstein and can be very rewarding!
I grew 4 seeds of the strain I wanted into 2 footers before taking clones and growing them out and picked a single plant as a mother when I confirmed the characteristics I wanted (short and bushy):thumbsup:
You take the highest tips, not the lowest? Would you advise waiting until clones are two feet before taking clones? Thanks, @LesPlenty . I think I want to get an early start for outdoors. Will the plants have trouble adjusting to outdoor light, after being indoors, do you suppose?

I would take clones from plants a foot tall if I needed to, as long as the donor plant is growing vigorously it won't hurt it as long as you don't take more than a third as your clone, in fact, some people do this to encourage the other branches to grow more (tipping\training etc).
I have heard of some growers that take clones from each plant to get ready for the next cycle, no mother plant, just well-pruned veg plants waiting for their turn in the sun. that in time will give up another clone itself, rinse and repeat, so can save space in a perpetual grow not having a mumma to look after but this is more labor intensive IMO.:thumbsup:
I often give clones to friends to grow outside and they treat them just like transplanting any tomato plant...with great results.

I would take clones from plants a foot tall if I needed to, as long as the donor plant is growing vigorously it won't hurt it as long as you don't take more than a third as your clone, in fact, some people do this to encourage the other branches to grow more (tipping\training etc).
I have heard of some growers that take clones from each plant to get ready for the next cycle, no mother plant, just well-pruned veg plants waiting for their turn in the sun. that in time will give up another clone itself, rinse and repeat, so can save space in a perpetual grow not having a mumma to look after but this is more labor intensive IMO.:thumbsup:
I often give clones to friends to grow outside and they treat them just like transplanting any tomato plant...with great results.
Thank you, @LesPlenty. You make it sound easy enough. Adding in the indoor element sounds like it will give my plants more time to grow, I just need to grow my brain to not mess it up. I know buying and planting a clone can be tricky, as they sometimes decide they want to get right to flowering. Taking a clone doesn't seem any different than cloning any other plant, however . That's good news. I'm trying to remind myself that this is just gardening, and I did get a crop in last year despite everything. I might be able to do this. I will be particularly happy in the garden this year, knowing I take your advice with me.

I take clones and never have a mother plant. Just take cuts off the bigger clones I'm vegging just before they go into my bloom box. I use a $8 propagation tray and as long as I keep the humidity up I'm getting a 99% Success rate and often see roots in 7 days from taking the clone. I've taken clones from the top of a plant the side and the base and have equal success no matter. I even take bud clones and get excellent bushy girls from them.

Cut at an angle just below a growth point, dip it into clonex immediately (very important) and place in a nifty pot or similar.

I love cloning.

. I even take bud clones
Probably not the best idea for a beginner, not as forgiving if you miss a spray watering or 2, but yes it is fun but feels weird to clone a bud, even if only because someone said you can't do it. (only reason I have):thumbsup:
7 days for roots to begin to show, any that have no roots after 14 days should be discarded IMO. Same applies to any that get stressed after they are away and growing, they may recover and look fine but will almost surely produce less than they should by the end of the grow.:thumbsup:

dip it into clonex immediately (very important)
You do not want any air, like a bubble in the wound!

Yeah air bubbles are not your friend.

I actually prepare mine underwater! I have 2 buckets with tepid water, I take my cuttings from Mumma slightly longer than needed with scissors (better for Mumma and stops air being drawn into the cutting) and drop the cutting stem down in the bucket, I do 9 like this. I then grab 1 at a time and submerge it in the 2nd bucket where I will slightly scratch around the stem with a sharp blade (box cutter) just above where I will make a final 45-degree cut then pull out from underwater and immediately dip in Clonex. This stops any air problems and also gives your new clones a nice fat drink.:thumbsup:
Maybe we should start a cloning thread....next time I will take pictures...or video:razz2:

I actually prepare mine underwater! I have 2 buckets with tepid water, I take my cuttings from Mumma slightly longer than needed with scissors (better for Mumma and stops air being drawn into the cutting) and drop the cutting stem down in the bucket, I do 9 like this. I then grab 1 at a time and submerge it in the 2nd bucket where I will slightly scratch around the stem with a sharp blade (box cutter) just above where I will make a final 45-degree cut then pull out from underwater and immediately dip in Clonex. This stops any air problems and also gives your new clones a nice fat drink.:thumbsup:
Maybe we should start a cloning thread....next time I will take pictures...or video:razz2:

I'd watch. Sounds like propagation at it's finest.

I take clones and never have a mother plant. Just take cuts off the bigger clones I'm vegging just before they go into my bloom box. I use a $8 propagation tray and as long as I keep the humidity up I'm getting a 99% Success rate and often see roots in 7 days from taking the clone. I've taken clones from the top of a plant the side and the base and have equal success no matter. I even take bud clones and get excellent bushy girls from them.

Cut at an angle just below a growth point, dip it into clonex immediately (very important) and place in a nifty pot or similar.

I love cloning.

That's just about how I start cuts as well. I'll just add it helps to keep the tray warm, and fresh worm castings help cuts get going as well. I never got into the fancy shamancy cloners the hydro shops sell. I do use a seeding heat mat.

I usually start my cuts with aloe Vera gel. I just cut a aloe leaf off and squeeze out the gel, just like your doing with clonex. The gel has the right hormones to get roots started. oK, I lied and added a third thing, lol.

I can't remember what it's called but there was a technique where you take a cut while the mom was in flower, then as it rooted you fim (fuck I missed) the top stem. Anyway I tried it and grew a bush with over a hundred stems. It was crazy, lol. I ended up trimming 85 % of the stems away, because they weren't going to get much light. The yield was only average, and it took forever to veg.

I'm both impressed, and freaked out. This is a great thread, very informative. I have a tent, lights, fans, and whatever else for hydro, but think I would start with soil because it's more familiar, but then nothing is familiar about indoor growing, so maybe best to get right to hydro...
Growing in the colder part of the year, seems a wise idea. I don't know that growing indoor in Summer would make sense, as I can more easily grow outdoors in Summer.
Food for thought, for sure. As it's almost Spring, it's too late this year, I think, unless I want to get seeds or clones going for outdoors.
I don’t think there’s any need to freak out, and no need to dive right into hydro, which really is very different for a gardener who puts plants in soil, like you. Growing with soil indoors is no different from what you know; but instead of diggin holes, you use pre-made moveable holes (buckets). Instead of filling your tent with trays and resivoirs and drip feeders, you just fill it with buckets & fill those with soil and plants.

Not scary, easy: it’s what you already know, and it will make transitioning to hydro (when you’re ready) much more straightforward when you decide you want to go there.

I don’t think there’s any need to freak out, and no need to dive right into hydro, which really is very different for a gardener who puts plants in soil, like you. Growing with soil indoors is no different from what you know; but instead of diggin holes, you use pre-made moveable holes (buckets). Instead of filling your tent with trays and resivoirs and drip feeders, you just fill it with buckets & fill those with soil and plants.

Not scary, easy: it’s what you already know, and it will make transitioning to hydro (when you’re ready) much more straightforward when you decide you want to go there.
Very sound advice.

Thank you, @ClearBlueLou. That's reassuring to hear.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back