Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe Master Wu's Green Dragon - Tincture

A few weeks ago I carefully decarbed almost 1/2oz of medical grade master kush and then put it in a jar with everclear into my Sous Vide. Strained it after 20 mins and then reduced the Sous Vide to about 140 degrees. I put the jar in and said to myself... “almost there, I’ll reduce it and bottle it into these nice new cobalt bottles.” So I gently placed the mason jar in the water bath... there were a few other jars in there in case it fell over. And wouldn’t you know it.... I walk out of my bathroom and I hear a “glunk.” Somehow it floated around tipped over. It only had about 30 minutes to go... some days I swear I just can’t win. I put the leftover buds in a jar with a small amount of everclear but I’m guessing it wont’ amount to much after that soak.

Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Cannabis Tinctures
October 5, 2017

Tinctures have been described as the most underrated of all the pot products because there aren’t as many fun, and potentially punishable, reefer rituals associated with their use. Tinctures are arguably underutilized compared to raw flowers, edibles, and dabs even though they work just as well, or sometimes even better.

In spite of how novel they may seem to so many cannabis consumers, tinctures are really nothing new. In fact, tincture was the primary form of cannabis medicine until it was banned in 1937.

Tinctures have been described as the moonshine of marijuana because of how they are made. However, making marijuana tincture takes up much less space and is significantly less likely to cause an explosion than a traditional moonshine still.

cannabis-tincture.jpg

A tincture is most often an alcoholic extract of plant material (although animal material can also be used) with an ethanol percentage of between 25 and 60%. This equates to a solution that is between 50 and 120 proof, although sometimes the alcohol concentration can get as high as 90% (180 proof) in some tinctures.

Tinctures are also ideal for anyone who may be too sick, too old, or too young (like Charlotte Figi was) to properly smoke or even vaporize cannabis. Tinctures allow people of all ages to realize the beneficial health effects that the cannabis plant has to offer.

What You Should Know About Cannabis Tinctures:
1) Tinctures are an age-old remedy
Did you know tinctures were the primary form of pain relief before aspirin? In fact, cannabis tinctures were extremely popular before cannabis prohibition. Cannabis infused extracts (tinctures) were listed in the U.S. Pharmacopeia as a treatment for several conditions including: tetanus, gout, tonsillitis, alcoholism, menstrual cramps, cholera, arthritis, and many others. Patented cannabis tinctures were even sold over the counter in the early twentieth century.

2) Tinctures provide dosage control
cannabis-tincture-1.jpg

Cannabis tinctures are usually taken by placing a few drops under the tongue (sublingually). This method is great for those who need a rapid dose of medicine.

The infusion is immediately absorbed into the arterial system, making its way to the brain and body. This makes dosing a breeze. Simply use a few drops and wait for the desired effects to take place. If more medicine is needed, additional drops can be added. However, always start slow and move your dosage up with time.

3) Cannabis tinctures are fast acting
Unlike edibles, you won’t be waiting around for a while because tinctures work very quickly. They’re also known for delivering a peak quickly and a steady high over an extended period of time.

4) Look for tinctures with MCT oil
All tinctures use to be made with alcohol, which is a great solvent for cannabis except that it can be very harsh on the throat and stomach and is simply not ideal for a lot of patients, says Alison Ettel of TreatWell Health – a leading tincture producer in California. And then people started making glycerin tinctures, and the only problem there is that glycerin does not bind well with the cannabinoids and has a very short shelf life. This is why most tincture manufacturers have switched over to MCT oil for a very good reason.

MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides, and it’s basically a fractionated coconut oil where the long-chain fatty acids have been removed. This is a huge benefit that you simply don’t get it with alcohol or glycerin-based tinctures.

5) Tinctures give you different cannabinoid options
tincture.jpg

What do you want to use your tincture for exactly? Are you targeting a specific condition or ailment? Maybe you want to use your tincture for preventative health or for adult-use? One of the cool things about cannabis legalization is that it gives us access to many different types of tinctures – both psychoactive and non-psychoactive. You can find THC-dominant tinctures. Or CBD tinctures, and even tinctures with the acidic cannabinoids THCA and CBDA. All of these tinctures have different uses and benefits.

6) Tinctures make a great topical
Most cannabis topicals have a lot of filler and a very low percentage of cannabinoids. Not the case with tinctures. We can also use tinctures topically for sprains or bruising – the acid cannabinoids (THCA and CBDA) especially take down bruising, Ettel adds And what a lot of people don’t know is that THCA helps with sunburns – any burn, Ettel continues. You can use it topically and it takes away the burn and helps heal it in a fraction amount of the time.

7) Tinctures are discreet
Need a low-key method for taking your medicine? Tinctures are inconspicuous. Unlike smoking a pipe or burning a joint, tinctures do not produce an odor. So there’s no need to worry about finding a place to consume. Simply place a few drops under your tongue and you’re set. Tinctures also don’t have a noticeable odor when stored, so you can easily carry it with you on the go. Additionally, you can insert your tincture solution into gel capsules – which is what a lot of patients do when the dropper is not an option. Just keep in mind that swallowing your tincture as opposed to dropping it under the tongue basically turns it into an edible.

8) Tinctures are low calorie
If you like edibles, infused desserts are no doubt delicious. Yet, they can also pack on the pounds if you’re not careful. A cannabis-infused brownie can contain up to 150 calories or more! Tinctures offer a low-calorie alternative if you prefer to ingest your cannabis in this method and want to watch your weight.

9) Tinctures offer efficient cannabinoid and terpene absorption
cannabis_tincture.jpeg

When you take your tinctures sublingually as opposed to ingesting this gets the medicine directly into your bloodstream. As a result, the effects can usually be felt within as little as fifteen minutes and last two to three hours. And if the tincture is well-made, you’ll get a much more efficient cannabinoids/terpene absorption rate than any other consumption method. Keep in mind that results do vary. Always check the potency before dosing. Start with a few drops initially and work your way up.

10) Tinctures must be stored properly
Did you know heat and light deteriorate cannabinoids? Tinctures must be stored in cool temperatures in an airtight glass container. We recommend a dark glass dropper bottle. Be sure to avoid plastic containers for storing your tincture. Always use a glass container and store it in at least room temperature for best results.

Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Cannabis Tinctures
October 5, 2017

Tinctures have been described as the most underrated of all the pot products because there aren’t as many fun, and potentially punishable, reefer rituals associated with their use. Tinctures are arguably underutilized compared to raw flowers, edibles, and dabs even though they work just as well, or sometimes even better.

In spite of how novel they may seem to so many cannabis consumers, tinctures are really nothing new. In fact, tincture was the primary form of cannabis medicine until it was banned in 1937.

Tinctures have been described as the moonshine of marijuana because of how they are made. However, making marijuana tincture takes up much less space and is significantly less likely to cause an explosion than a traditional moonshine still.

cannabis-tincture.jpg

A tincture is most often an alcoholic extract of plant material (although animal material can also be used) with an ethanol percentage of between 25 and 60%. This equates to a solution that is between 50 and 120 proof, although sometimes the alcohol concentration can get as high as 90% (180 proof) in some tinctures.

Tinctures are also ideal for anyone who may be too sick, too old, or too young (like Charlotte Figi was) to properly smoke or even vaporize cannabis. Tinctures allow people of all ages to realize the beneficial health effects that the cannabis plant has to offer.

What You Should Know About Cannabis Tinctures:
1) Tinctures are an age-old remedy
Did you know tinctures were the primary form of pain relief before aspirin? In fact, cannabis tinctures were extremely popular before cannabis prohibition. Cannabis infused extracts (tinctures) were listed in the U.S. Pharmacopeia as a treatment for several conditions including: tetanus, gout, tonsillitis, alcoholism, menstrual cramps, cholera, arthritis, and many others. Patented cannabis tinctures were even sold over the counter in the early twentieth century.

2) Tinctures provide dosage control
cannabis-tincture-1.jpg

Cannabis tinctures are usually taken by placing a few drops under the tongue (sublingually). This method is great for those who need a rapid dose of medicine.

The infusion is immediately absorbed into the arterial system, making its way to the brain and body. This makes dosing a breeze. Simply use a few drops and wait for the desired effects to take place. If more medicine is needed, additional drops can be added. However, always start slow and move your dosage up with time.

3) Cannabis tinctures are fast acting
Unlike edibles, you won’t be waiting around for a while because tinctures work very quickly. They’re also known for delivering a peak quickly and a steady high over an extended period of time.

4) Look for tinctures with MCT oil
All tinctures use to be made with alcohol, which is a great solvent for cannabis except that it can be very harsh on the throat and stomach and is simply not ideal for a lot of patients, says Alison Ettel of TreatWell Health – a leading tincture producer in California. And then people started making glycerin tinctures, and the only problem there is that glycerin does not bind well with the cannabinoids and has a very short shelf life. This is why most tincture manufacturers have switched over to MCT oil for a very good reason.

MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides, and it’s basically a fractionated coconut oil where the long-chain fatty acids have been removed. This is a huge benefit that you simply don’t get it with alcohol or glycerin-based tinctures.

5) Tinctures give you different cannabinoid options
tincture.jpg

What do you want to use your tincture for exactly? Are you targeting a specific condition or ailment? Maybe you want to use your tincture for preventative health or for adult-use? One of the cool things about cannabis legalization is that it gives us access to many different types of tinctures – both psychoactive and non-psychoactive. You can find THC-dominant tinctures. Or CBD tinctures, and even tinctures with the acidic cannabinoids THCA and CBDA. All of these tinctures have different uses and benefits.

6) Tinctures make a great topical
Most cannabis topicals have a lot of filler and a very low percentage of cannabinoids. Not the case with tinctures. We can also use tinctures topically for sprains or bruising – the acid cannabinoids (THCA and CBDA) especially take down bruising, Ettel adds And what a lot of people don’t know is that THCA helps with sunburns – any burn, Ettel continues. You can use it topically and it takes away the burn and helps heal it in a fraction amount of the time.

7) Tinctures are discreet
Need a low-key method for taking your medicine? Tinctures are inconspicuous. Unlike smoking a pipe or burning a joint, tinctures do not produce an odor. So there’s no need to worry about finding a place to consume. Simply place a few drops under your tongue and you’re set. Tinctures also don’t have a noticeable odor when stored, so you can easily carry it with you on the go. Additionally, you can insert your tincture solution into gel capsules – which is what a lot of patients do when the dropper is not an option. Just keep in mind that swallowing your tincture as opposed to dropping it under the tongue basically turns it into an edible.

8) Tinctures are low calorie
If you like edibles, infused desserts are no doubt delicious. Yet, they can also pack on the pounds if you’re not careful. A cannabis-infused brownie can contain up to 150 calories or more! Tinctures offer a low-calorie alternative if you prefer to ingest your cannabis in this method and want to watch your weight.

9) Tinctures offer efficient cannabinoid and terpene absorption
cannabis_tincture.jpeg

When you take your tinctures sublingually as opposed to ingesting this gets the medicine directly into your bloodstream. As a result, the effects can usually be felt within as little as fifteen minutes and last two to three hours. And if the tincture is well-made, you’ll get a much more efficient cannabinoids/terpene absorption rate than any other consumption method. Keep in mind that results do vary. Always check the potency before dosing. Start with a few drops initially and work your way up.

10) Tinctures must be stored properly
Did you know heat and light deteriorate cannabinoids? Tinctures must be stored in cool temperatures in an airtight glass container. We recommend a dark glass dropper bottle. Be sure to avoid plastic containers for storing your tincture. Always use a glass container and store it in at least room temperature for best results.

We make tinctures, but use hemp oil ( health food stores or amazon) for the carrier oil, and we use a small amount of lecithin. It stays liquid at room temps or in the fridge.

We generally use 2 grams of concentrate to one fluid oz of hemp oil, and 1/2 tsp of lecithin. To mix we gently heat it on a coffee warmer until the lecithin melts and stir until it becomes clear. It's stored in one fluid oz eye dropper bottles. A dose would be one normal squeeze of the bottles bulb. Not a whole bottle, lol.

You can put it under the tongue. Or on food. My favorite is in coffee. It hits you faster with hot liquids like coffee or warm tea. It does have a little flavor if thats important. Not terrible but not great either imho. I've also rubbed it on sore muscles. And a drop or two on food (or rubbed in the skin) can help arthritic animals.

Picked up the EC for a great deal, got the dropper bottles out for delivery, and I have the materials obviously so no more excuses! I’m going to embark upon my first experience with tincture making, whatever colour of dragon I wind up with. I have seen another method recommended, original recipe at GrassCity, that involves 72 hours in the freezer and you only use heat at the very end when reducing, said to be as potent but better tasting. I’m trying this recipe first, however I’m tempted to try this other method as well to compare.
The only downside would be that I would have TWO ounces of tincture at my disposal! :naughty2:

If any of y’all have experience with psychedelic sam’s “try it you’ll like it” method from GC, can you tell me was it worth trying? I’m pretty excited about trying tinctures because it seems like they will suit me down to the ground. Almost too good to be true even!

Picked up the EC for a great deal, got the dropper bottles out for delivery, and I have the materials obviously so no more excuses! I’m going to embark upon my first experience with tincture making, whatever colour of dragon I wind up with. I have seen another method recommended, original recipe at GrassCity, that involves 72 hours in the freezer and you only use heat at the very end when reducing, said to be as potent but better tasting. I’m trying this recipe first, however I’m tempted to try this other method as well to compare.
The only downside would be that I would have TWO ounces of tincture at my disposal! :naughty2:

If any of y’all have experience with psychedelic sam’s “try it you’ll like it” method from GC, can you tell me was it worth trying? I’m pretty excited about trying tinctures because it seems like they will suit me down to the ground. Almost too good to be true even!
I would be keen to hear your results/comparison

Roger Wilco! I really need someone to gift me some kief though, asap. LOL! :wave: I need a miracle! I asked my guy last time and he didn’t know what I was on about. Maybe they just roll all that into hash but even so, I threw out “pollen” which I thought might be how he knew it. But all I got was a blank look. I’m inclined to think his response was genuine and would readily hook me up if his peeps had any. At least for those dudes, it ain’t on the menu in Londontown. I know, I know, it’ll all be fine and dandy when I can be off the streets. I feel dirty, lol!

This is so exciting!!! I’m trying something new! One of the things that I love about vaping is all the other knowledge that has come along the journey. I was such a lazy stoner in a rut before but vaporization has opened up so many avenues of adventure, thanks to others.

Made a batch of Green Dragon today, following M. Wu’s recipe here. I adapted/changed a couple of things and learned a couple of things that I’ll do differently next time. Tomorrow morning will be its first real test, today’s samples were contaminated by previous and concurrent vaping that occurred.

I was going to decarb enough to try the other GD recipe I wanna try but then I realised I didn’t know if I would even like tinctures or if they’ll work well for me. Glad I did to, because I used an Instant Pot to decarb with and that was a first attempt as well. Lots of lessons learned today and I enjoyed the process. It’s easy enough. I’m hopeful that I’ll get good enough and can make different batches for different effects or pain symptoms. Then I’ll post my recipes on Vapor Asylum for free and then one day soon, I’ll be rich! Rich, I tell you!

Tomorrow morning will be its first real test, today’s samples were contaminated by previous and concurrent vaping that occurred.
:rofl: That's a little funny.....

Make sure you let it sit under your tongue 1 - 2 minutes..... otherwise it just goes to the stomach and isn't as effective.

And yes... it kills lol... but only for a little while.... :razz2:

@Killick weren't you (or aren't you) adding tincture to your coffee or drinks during the day? Or was that infused butter or oil?

Yes ma’am, I am all about sublingual meds! Not sure if it’s the type of Crohn’s I have or what but edibles don’t do anything for me. I have had good experiences in the distant past with brownies and space cakes but in the last decade or so, not so much.

I’ve read so many posts on various places saying to not drop it under the tongue “because it burns”, but I am made of stronger stuff than that Mom! I honestly thought “have y’all never had a glass of good liquor?!” I haven’t been able to drink for years due to medications and with that, even I’m not scared about a few tiny drops under my tongue. Some people these days... :disgust: :biggrin:

weren't you (or aren't you) adding tincture to your coffee or drinks during the day? Or was that infused butter or oil?
not drop it under the tongue “because it burns”,

Hi guys - @Mom : Yes, I use infused things in coffee. I was using tinc, I still use oil, but I'm tending to use a scoop of dry sift these days - it's all about the cannabinoids, not the carrier, so the easiest and cheapest solution is winning.

@pxl_jockey higher alcohol content doesn't add any value to the mix, and will burn your gingiva, so it's not a bad idea to dilute EC down to 50% or so, or use some sort of oil instead of alcohol - it's cheaper and doesn't cause any damage to your mouth. If you enjoy using a bit of alcohol for the change of scenery you could unfuse some alcohol you enjoy. Anything 40%+ will work. The reason for using high alcohol solvents, such as EC, is that there isn't much water in the alcohol, which makes it easier to evaporate off, leaving (mostly) cannabis resin, or hippie oil, as an end product.

I’ve heard to drop them into just a bit of water in a spoon and keep in your mouth for a bit. So that’s what I started doing, it’s not so harsh. It’s kinda floral tasting that way, I find it nice. I don’t drink due to other medications but really don’t consider the tiny amount in a few drops to be problematic.

I didn’t think the EC added value beyond getting the stuff I want out. I’m just starting out and so learning about what you can do once you’ve made the GD. I’m interested in doing as you say, to transfer the cannabinoids into other things. I’m not confident that I even did an optimal extraction this first time but I’m pleased enough to continue experimenting.

Which is why: Today I decided to take half my GD and transfer it to an equal part honey and going back in the hot water bath. According to my source material, the EC boils off whilst leaving the goodies in the remaining honey “elixir”.

A few weeks ago I carefully decarbed almost 1/2oz of medical grade master kush and then put it in a jar with everclear into my Sous Vide. Strained it after 20 mins and then reduced the Sous Vide to about 140 degrees. I put the jar in and said to myself... “almost there, I’ll reduce it and bottle it into these nice new cobalt bottles.” So I gently placed the mason jar in the water bath... there were a few other jars in there in case it fell over. And wouldn’t you know it.... I walk out of my bathroom and I hear a “glunk.” Somehow it floated around tipped over. It only had about 30 minutes to go... some days I swear I just can’t win. I put the leftover buds in a jar with a small amount of everclear but I’m guessing it wont’ amount to much after that soak.
I very much hope you didn’t throw out your experiment!
Unless it escaped the jar and you lost its contents, i fail to see that anything got ruined.

I’m lucky, I find I actively like the flavor of cannabis, whether it’s nibbling a bit, or the taste of a dab, or in butter. Butter is actively my favorite edible route. I’m currently dosing from a jar containing a half-stick of butter, a pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon lecithin, 3/8 oz of good weed that’s had the goo squeezed out of it, and a half-gram of concentrates from said weed. I heat it and stir it every day, eat a teaspoon a day.

I’ve had very few if any effective edible experiences high-wise, mostly what I seem to get out of it is a turbocharge on my smoking/vaping, so that’s okay, too.

Tackling Master Wu’s Green Dragon were my first steps in cannabis extraction - which is, by a very long road, how I got to be here right now. No idea how many batches I’ve attempted; as I say, I mostly got support for inhaled cannabis, but my wife liked it...just not instead of smoking, so that’s kept my experimental budget on the level of the randomly acquired eighth; I’ve done glycerine extractions (unimpressive), e-juice (good reviews), mostly thru Grey Wolf’s QWET example. I haven’t done any of that in the year since we moved (new roommate), but at the end, I was getting this golden goo of infinite stickiness, dissolving it in ETOH, evaporating it down, and raining drops upon bowls of cannabis, then head off for the next round of doing stuff.

Now I have water pipes, vapes, and a rosin forge, and the pot fairy and I have been on pretty good terms lately. I have online communities where I learn and share and have fun, and a much more entertaining life now than I did.

Thank you, Master Wu!

I hope everyone is happy with their Green Dragon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprise surprise. I asked google about master Wu green dragon tincture n I notice one of the top hits is VA! I should've just searched here!

If time permits I'm going to revisit this recipe. My question is, does anyone add sunflower lecithin to their tinctures?

I tried this once, maybe last year? I remember not tending to it well and not overwhelmed by the results. I actually came across the bottle last week cause I was in need, searching for a dropper. I opened it up n was glad to have found it! I was like damn, forgot bout this! Let's titrate!... Then boom, I made a weird gesture n knocked it over. Smh

I've purchased tinctures recently online. I don't find them effective even though I trust the sources... I'm taking 3 ml of sativa tinctures + ml's of green dragon + indica.... I end up falling asleep yes, but not overly medicated. Hoping I can up the anti so as to more conveniently guide my summer evenings to saturn n beyond

@momofthegoons so, 5 to mins Decarb, 20 mins to reduce. So your mixture is ready to go in 30 mins??

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back