Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Nerd Culture - Comics & Films & Games & Cosplay & Collectibles & All Things Camp!

Thanks @Prolusio I just wasted 45 minutes watching the first episode of Mad Bull 34. Found all four episodes on VHS in a tiny shop in Chinatown in the mid 90's & it still stacks up.

I have been thinking about a dear friend of mine quite a lot lately. I hear his music often.

I met Mark at a very strange time in my life. I didn't know who the fuck Sparklehorse was, but I saw a showing of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari at the Hollywood Bowl in 2003 and I was mesmerized not only by the film but by the live soundtrack by Sparklehorse as well. I felt compelled to meet this specter.

Sparklehorse's music really can't be defined, or categoriezed, or compared.

Try putting a Sparklehorse song on a mixtape, and you'll understand.

Most people don't know who you are, Mark. Or who you were. But I do. And your music changed my life. And I refuse to forget it.

I'm not going to let it go. I'm not going to forget. That's what people fucking do. But I won't.

For better or worse, Mark's work was always best when reinterpreting others.

@EveryDayAmnesiac came here to post a gif and would have sworn I responded to the post above.... Thank you for sharing your tribute to your friend. I'd heard Sparklehorse before but wasn't that familiar with their music. I did a little YouTube spelunking after and listened to more. Very enjoyable.

fm7s0Qp.jpg

I have been listening to a lot of Joe Meek produced tracks the past couple of days.

Meek is still a fascinating producer to this day, perhaps due to the murder / suicide at the end of his life, but certainly partly due to his unbelievably groundbreaking skills as a musician.

Meek was on par with Phil Spector and Brian Wilson at the time (and IMO, soaring above them) while working on a shoestring budget. He recorded many of his most famous tracks in his home, with an "orchestra" lined up the stairs because there wasn't room anywhere else. Female vocals were recorded in the bathroom and the pleasant surprise was hauntingly ghostly echoishly original sounds that are still clearly recognizable.

Once you know the Joe Meek sound, it becomes unmistakable. Passion, longing, regret, sadness, and totally oldies! :thumbsup:

When people ask me, "Phil Spector or Brian Wilson?" I say Joe Meek.

No one has ever actually asked me that. Believe it or not.

There are multiple playlists of his work on YouTube.

Last edited:
@EveryDayAmnesiac you never cease to amaze. Your knowledge of music (especially off beat 'camp' music) is unparalleled by anyone I personally know. I remember you going through your dad's old albums and coming up with some old classics.

I did a little research after reading your post and realized I was much more familiar with Joe Meek's music than I thought. One of his more famous and well known hits....

Thanks for opening my eyes to, yet another, artist/producer that I wasn't as familiar with as I should be.

Loved comics but I decided to turn joys into cash and got into the retail/con thing. While it gives you a reason to travel to fun places its still mainly about turning a profit. So after a bit I got out of the business parked my actual collection and didn't look at for years. Recently however, I took out a few pieces Wrightson's Frankenstein and some of Alan Moore's 2000AD stuff) and really enjoyed the heck out of them again.

Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head

I wrote a screenplay a while back that featured this song playing while the protagonist crash landed on a new planet. Never quite worked out, believe it or not, but the song is still amazing.

Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head

I wrote a screenplay a while back that featured this song playing while the protagonist crash landed on a new planet. Never quite worked out, believe it or not, but the song is still amazing.

A few years ago, after having tix to a few shows that got cancelled (of course), Moz finally graced our little ME city and thankfully it was a very "on" night for the band. I Know It's Over was a dark highlight of the set.

Like an idiot I couldn't be arsed to see the Smiths in the 80s when I lived and worked in NYC. Shit, I was working one block below Radio City when they played there and still didn't make the show. Fucking idiot, me. (This is why for decades now my concert philosophy is a variation on the old Butthole Surfers' "it's better to regret doing something than not doing something". Took me a while to learn. :doh:)

(And yeah, Joe Meek productions rule. :nod:)

If you're not on the edge of your seat tonight waiting for Game of Thrones to start, then there is something seriously wrong with you. :biggrin:

:popcorn:

My plan... re-start showtime (through amazon prime) in september because I haven't seen 'inside the nfl' in years since I last had an hbo subscription. Then in february when football ends I will binge-watch the whole freaking series and catch up on this latest season. I've seen the rest of the seasons but in sd not hd. Of course I may watch this season sooner in sd, I haven't decided yet. I gotta save up my rollover data if I want to play this whole thing in hd, my internet sucks (sigh).

:newspaper:

If you're excited to watch the new dark tower movie, imo it would be best to watch the new king arthur movie first. Especially if you're a fan of not just roland of gilead, but also into the whole camelot excalibur thing. I was lucky to see these flicks on consecutive days, and noticed some very interesting continuity happening between these two movies.

:popcorn:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back