Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Random Thoughts

Probably the wrong thread but just some exchange on another site,

ABV came up in a semi related thread on another site
Psychedelic Sam got some results back that a sample tested at 5% potency and 4.5% of that was thca
So it would seem ABV needs decarbing
I'm just about to extract some material and was wondering if anyone else did an oven or Ardent fx decarb on their vaped flower
I was doing 10 minutes at 240f 115c
Not much info on oven or Ardent, mostly immersion and slow cooker
View attachment 32529

Cannot wait to use the carbonx on this product
I've posted before on ABV test results, I have decarbed my AVB and I don't think it helped. I believe it all has to do with moisture content. While it's decarbed after vaping, I believe that it's still converting THCA into THC during the cooking process . I decarbed at 240 degrees for 20 minutes. It did dry it out, and made it hard to filter. As far as potency, I couldn't tell the difference. Here's an interesting article on AVB

We’ve wondered from day 1 exactly how much THC is left in the ABV / AVB / Volcano Poo produced by our Volcano. Finally, we had the opportunity to do some semi-scientific testing. The results are surprising – there is much more THC in the already been vaped bud than I would have imagined.

Here are the details:

1. We started with 2 grams of Golden Goat from our local dispensary, and finely ground the buds in a grinder.
  2. 4 samples were divided from the ground material, .5g each, with one reserved as a control.
  3. All 3 samples were vaporized at a setting of 6 (which equates to 190°c or 374°f) on a Volcano Classic with easy valve and a standard size bag.
  4. Method 1: Fill 4 bags.
    Method 2: Fill 6 bags.
    Method 3: Fill 3 bags, regrind with fingers, fill 3 more bags
  5. Samples were analyzed by LuvBud from Fort Collins, Colorado.
Unsurprisingly method 3 extracted the most THC from the herb. All of the methods completely extracted all the terpenes, which explains the rapidly declining flavor profile the further you go.

Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample. Even after 6 bags with stirring in the middle, the potency of the leftovers is 9.34%. That means 1 gram of ABV of this strain potentially has 93mg of THC, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I've posted before on ABV test results, I have decarbed my AVB and I don't think it helped. I believe it all has to do with moisture content. While it's decarbed after vaping, I believe that it's still converting THCA into THC during the cooking process . I decarbed at 240 degrees for 20 minutes. It did dry it out, and made it hard to filter. As far as potency, I couldn't tell the difference. Here's an interesting article on AVB

We’ve wondered from day 1 exactly how much THC is left in the ABV / AVB / Volcano Poo produced by our Volcano. Finally, we had the opportunity to do some semi-scientific testing. The results are surprising – there is much more THC in the already been vaped bud than I would have imagined.

Here are the details:

1. We started with 2 grams of Golden Goat from our local dispensary, and finely ground the buds in a grinder.
  2. 4 samples were divided from the ground material, .5g each, with one reserved as a control.
  3. All 3 samples were vaporized at a setting of 6 (which equates to 190°c or 374°f) on a Volcano Classic with easy valve and a standard size bag.
  4. Method 1: Fill 4 bags.
    Method 2: Fill 6 bags.
    Method 3: Fill 3 bags, regrind with fingers, fill 3 more bags
  5. Samples were analyzed by LuvBud from Fort Collins, Colorado.
Unsurprisingly method 3 extracted the most THC from the herb. All of the methods completely extracted all the terpenes, which explains the rapidly declining flavor profile the further you go.

Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample. Even after 6 bags with stirring in the middle, the potency of the leftovers is 9.34%. That means 1 gram of ABV of this strain potentially has 93mg of THC, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I think I recall reading this information

So is it thc or thca or a combination that is left over
Sam got 5% potency with most of it being thca from lab results
So many factors go into this that doing anything exact is impossible
Strain, duration of vaping, temp all play a role in the make up of the ABV
The difference in the numbers you and Sam have could be the type of vaporizer used and how it was used
I would guess both are accurate if not exact

Knowing the efficiency of the vaporizer would help
But so many factors again
Strain, moisture content

Learn extraction folks
You are throwing milligrams away

269831553_3152229504992032_7638905479118525174_n.jpg

Slim Pickens at the grocery store. A canned cat food shortage! My cat doesn’t like the damn pate’. Between the cat food and the non stop rain my cats pissed off.
Pissed off?.... or just eyeballing your stash!
cat-always-hungry-554001-hero-cf06c0e138e84d4b973cd838986277bc.jpg

Slim Pickens at the grocery store. A canned cat food shortage! My cat doesn’t like the damn pate’. Between the cat food and the non stop rain my cats pissed off.

Pandemic Cat Food Shortage Has Kitties Meowing​

Owners scrambling to find scarce canned brands for finicky felines​

by Robin L. Flanigan, AARP, March 29, 2021

Barbara Hengstenberg and her pet cat

COURTESY BILL HENGSTENBERG
Barbara Hengstenberg has had trouble finding specialty cat food for her pet.
Debra Bishop feels like she hits the lottery every time she finds Purina Friskies Shreds canned cat food on store shelves for her two rescue cats, 3-year-old siblings Max and Willow.
The chicken- and turkey-flavored meals are hard to find these days because of a widespread pet food shortage. Canned cat food — from well-known brands like Fancy Feast, Friskies and 9 Lives — is the most elusive. Several factors are responsible, including pandemic-related manufacturing delays, bad weather, and an uptick in pet ownership and pampering.
The situation is reminiscent of last year's toilet paper sales surge, and the recent shortage of Grape-Nuts that had some fans paying as much as $110 a box through an online black market.

Bishop says she often finds herself muttering under her breath as she searches the shelves for something her cats won't turn their noses up to.
"I'm clearly not the only one wondering what their kittens will eat,” says Bishop, 51, who lives in Penfield, New York. “I've shared smiles — under masks — with other shoppers talking to themselves in the cat food aisle."

'Customers are frustrated'

Chris Anthony, manager at Country Harvest Family Market in Palmerton, Pennsylvania, says his supplier sent an email in February stating that pet food producers Nestlé Purina and J.M. Smucker Co. were experiencing COVID-19-related supply issues. Supplies — including aluminum packaging — were scarce and the companies no longer could meet demand, a situation expected to last at least until May.
"One delivery we'll get some Fancy Feast and various flavors, and the next delivery we don't get anything,” Anthony says. “Our customers are frustrated. They're tired of the whole thing."
The United Kingdom is also dealing with a national shortage, with one supplier now rationing merchandise to be sure as many pets as possible can be fed.

Lots of reasons for shortage

Natural pet food manufacturer Freshpet has reported manufacturing shutdowns due to severe winter storms. Other companies are running into problems with labor, machinery and packaging.
"There's so much that goes into making a product, and if there's a break in any part of that process, it causes a problem,” Anthony says. “Increased demand doesn't help, either."
PetSmart attributes its shortages of wet food, both in stores and online, to people adding pets to their families throughout the pandemic.
"We are committed to doing all we can to help pet parents feed and care for their pets, and are actively working with our manufacturing and shipping partners to ensure supply is increased to better meet the current demand,” says Erin Gray, PetSmart's senior manager of corporate communications.

The same diet is necessary for some​

For Frosty, a rescue cat who has belonged to Barbara Hengstenberg and her husband, Bill, for seven years now, eating the same diet is important for his severe gastrointestinal issues.
Hengstenberg, 59, said she was nervous when she couldn't find Frosty's preferred 9 Lives Meaty Paté Super Supper canned food. Luckily, he weathered a couple of days with a substitute brand better than expected. Hengstenberg, of Bear Creek, North Carolina, now stocks up on his usual fare on the rare occasions she finds it. (He eats in his own room, built specifically for him with a tiled alcove for the litter box, wooden cabinets and counters, and cat-themed artwork.)
"We don't have children, so our pets have always been very, very special to us,” she says.

A long search ends successfully

Not everyone is noticing the scarcity.
"I've seen it on the internet, but we've got cat food out the wazoo here,” says one clerk at Nashville Pet Products in Nashville, Tennessee.
But for those like David Saltz, 49, of Auburn, Massachusetts, searching for Fancy Feast's Classic Tender Beef Paté has been a tall order. He has two cats, and the older one, Tiger, is “very picky.” In the beginning of his search he scoured Google and every possible brick-and-mortar store — from pet stores to big-box and dollar stores — within 50 miles, all with no luck.
"I tried literally every other variety of soft canned cat food in the store — including a few cans of some way overpriced, niche, microbrew, small-batch, all-natural, wild-animal-approved, non-GMO, grass-fed (did I mention ridiculously overpriced?) canned food,” Saltz says. “Almost all were turned down. Only occasionally would she eat a bit of a particular flavor, and I would go buy more of that kind, but she was having none of it."
Saltz even posted a plea on Reddit. When someone in the thread noted that Chewy.com had the food back in stock, he immediately ordered a case. The next day, when he went back to the site to order more, it was sold out again.
Finally, a few weeks ago, Saltz found the favored Fancy Feast on Amazon. He ordered two cases and signed up for automatic deliveries every two weeks. He also set up an alert on Chewy.com.
"Tiger is happy again,” he says.
Robin L. Flanigan is a contributing writer who covers mental health, education and human-interest stories for several national publications. A former reporter for several daily newspapers, her work has also appeared in People, USA Today and Education Week. She is the author of the children's book M is for Mindful.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back