Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Rosin Tek

Anyone used a Rosinbomb "premium" press or seen any decent reviews please?
I like the idea of it not needing to be bolted down
I spotted a UK one on everyonedoesit, but it's quite expensive

Resin has come a long way in a short time. It wasn't that long ago that people posting about hair straightener tek, or George Foreman tek, got a bunch of funny comments in response. A couple of years later and now walmart is selling kit made for the procedure.

So, given that squish is a quickly and easily extracted concentrate will it displace other forms of concentrates?

I've read recently about heated pinch roller systems being used for production. That can be a pretty efficient use of space. Some of you press hash. Would going straight to resin somewhat obviate the need for hash? Is there a reason to dry-sift or bubble, other than the fun of the activity?

Anyways, press should be here soon... :)

Resin has come a long way in a short time. It wasn't that long ago that people posting about hair straightener tek, or George Foreman tek, got a bunch of funny comments in response. A couple of years later and now walmart is selling kit made for the procedure.

So, given that squish is a quickly and easily extracted concentrate will it displace other forms of concentrates?

I've read recently about heated pinch roller systems being used for production. That can be a pretty efficient use of space. Some of you press hash. Would going straight to resin somewhat obviate the need for hash? Is there a reason to dry-sift or bubble, other than the fun of the activity?

Why is ROSIN $20 per gram?
SHATTER was $75 - $90 /gram

@lazylathe told me about ROSIN and I love it!
I made SHATTER, however I just buy ROSIN.

Now I can do other thing's?

Thanks for the lengthy reply...
You have assured me that I'm on the right track here....
And gave some good info...
Nice to know that dark rosin isnt inferior....
I was just expecting the bright yellow oooz that I see in pics....

I'm really torn now, between buying the pressie, or just buying some ready made plates to fit in my huge record vice...???

Would you happen to have a link for some good plates..???
I looked at some but they only went down to 150c...too high still I think...

I only ever want to press a gram a time....
Im not going industrial....
I would like to save money as I'm still recovering from my american adventure...
So if ready made plates are cheaper, and can produce just as good rosin as the pressure would, then id be up for that...

On a funny note... I send a friend pictures of my squishing efforts, (the ones I posted here)...
And he sent this back...

NNMnkqY.jpg

At least he tried right.....
And I did tell him to use parchment paper...
He just decided he knew best...
lol at the paper squish! he's found a second use for his high school books! I think that our friend @SamuraiSam would have the best current info for quality rosin plates at the moment, since I tend to only make bubble these days, rosin is very rarely considered.

Well I've given up on the dimmer I'm using with my hair iron. My iron still gets way too hot and the product is just blowing out and burning. I'm thinking I need to go get a rotary style.

I'd love to buy a press but I have way too many expenses right now.
You can actually find hair straighteners that can have their temps reduced to 210-230f if you look around. These can be very serviceable with a clamp for pressing and there'll be no dimmer required!

Anyone used a Rosinbomb "premium" press or seen any decent reviews please?
I like the idea of it not needing to be bolted down
I spotted a UK one on everyonedoesit, but it's quite expensive
The measurement of pressure for that one seems to be only 2.5x what you'll get from a vise with heated plates man. For something that heavy and expensive, I'd expect at least 20000lb of pressure. That'll likely only let you press 1-2g of bud at a time efficiently due to insufficient pressure.

Rosin from hash can be desireable in very limited situations, if you want to have the purest dabs possible but get some trichome stalks in your hash collections and end up without any full melt, then rosining those collections of hash that have clear trichome stalks and heads only will produce a far superior dab to flower rosin. However, the yields will be small. This is not ideal.

If you're making bubble or dry sift: IMO aim to make full melt (which I prefer over rosin so much that I don't bother with rosin unless I run out of full melt and don't have quality flower/trim to run), it is the only way you'll justify the labor and yields of hash making unless you have a huge amount of flower.

Otherwise, it is much more time and yield efficient to make flower rosin. Very interested to hear of your experiences with your press my friend!

Why is ROSIN $20 per gram?
SHATTER was $75 - $90 /gram

@lazylathe told me about ROSIN and I love it!
I made SHATTER, however I just buy ROSIN.

Now I can do other thing's?
Rosin when produced safely in a regulated environment requires less skilled staff and cheaper, less sensitive equipment than solvent extracts (which require staff with more technical qualifications and expensive equipment and much more exhaustive SOP). Solvent extracts and rosin will often yield similarly from the same flower and so in a perfectly regulated environment, I would expect that solvent extracts might be more expensive vs rosin to produce. Solvents can allow for very large scale production which can balance the cost effective advantage that rosin has somewhat, but I still think that it would be cheaper to rosin in the abovementioned scenario.

Now if we are talking black/grey market production, that could be a very different scenario, especially with underqualified/unscrupulous solvent extractors that cut corners :twocents:

The measurement of pressure for that one seems to be only 2.5x what you'll get from a vise with heated plates man. For something that heavy and expensive, I'd expect at least 20000lb of pressure. That'll likely only let you press 1-2g of bud at a time efficiently due to insufficient pressure.
Thanks @herbivore21
Hi Herbivore,
The Rosinbomb is only 16 inches high and weighs less than 16kg? :idon'tknow:
Unfortunately, I think this is one of the few limited options available to me for a personal press right now.

I don't have a floor that I could fix a press to or bench I could clamp a real vice to. I've been using an Irwin clamp and straighteners but they're a bit crap and it hurts my hands after a couple of squishes.
If anyone has seen any other compact/portable, affordable presses, available in the UK please let me know :-)
I've also seen one that looks very similar to the greenlight vapes press but they're not in stock at vapefiend and looks to be less pressure again
https://vapefiend.co.uk/pressie-heat-press

[Edit] do all standing presses need to be fixed down or would they be ok freestanding?
What if I braced against the frame while using the handle or foot pedal?

-Are there any presses that don't require mounting?

I'd still need to make room but at least it's not a whole workbench
I was just nosing on eBay (probably not the best, I know) and 12 ton shop floor standing presses are quite inexpensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381837120109?
Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132256384367?

Ive also seen Squishit 3x5" plates and controller for £370 from a UK seller
Or a Rosinking set of plates and controller on Amazon for £220

Are any of these sets of plates or presses any good though?

It seems if I could get away with not fixing it in place and could make the room, I could potentialy build a manual, 12 ton, heated presss for just a smidge over £300?

Am I missing something as that seems pretty cheap :yikes:

I just really want to find something that I can use without it needing to be bolted down but I have no experience with tools and what's available.
Hence me looking at these "portable" electric presses like the Rosinbomb and the Pressie/Greenlight.

Sorry for all the edits and ramble. hopefully there's some coherence
Wake and bake with some chemdawg this morning :smug:

Last edited:
@herbivore21 I'm really looking forward to The Press Express. In theory the output should be as good as the input, which will be as good as I can get. I may even do wierd things, like measure things both before *and* after, and even recall strains and such, just like a science person! Now I need a lab coat, dangit...

@Pyr0 - check this Flashvape press. People in the groups have been making presses like these since resin was invented back in the daze (2015/16 - good times). You build the frame, get a jack and some plates and Robert is your mothers brother as they say... https://flashvape.com/product/fv-rosin-tech-bench-top-rosin-press-20t-3-x-5-plates/
Another option is the High Five press, which needs to be 'mounted', which can mean just attach it to some plywood and attach that to the bench with vicegrips for use, then undo the vicegrips and put the press away between squishytime.
https://highfivevape.com/manual-rosin-press-bundle.html

Good luck :wave:

Thanks @Killick
Unfortunately the first problem is I wouldn't even know where to start looking for pieces to build the frame here in the UK, nevermind put it together. Like I mentioned earlier I have no experience with metal work tools. I currently have no tools or workshop and have never welded anything:idon'tknow:

Looks like the High five website doesn't offer shipping to the UK.

Edit
If I'm only going to be pressing a gram or 2 at a time would a 10 ton workbench press do?
Something like:
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gara.../shbp10m-10-ton-h-frame-bench-hydraulic-press

Or
http://www.midlandstoolsupplies.co.uk/12-ton-bench-press-hydraulic

Last edited:
Any of the home hardware places in the Yew Kay will have stuff off the shelf (other than plates and controllers). Here's one made of things you can mostly pick up at the HW store.

But I did find this vid which references a cheap source for 'matching milled metal blocks', which you can drill for cartridge heaters. Or a local shop can drill them for you.
http://www.rollitup.org/t/275-diy-rosin-plates-pid-controller-and-press.936400/

edit @Pyr0 10 ton is great! The High Five press is a 1 ton manual and works great for small amounts. Heck, get yerself a hair straightener and a couple of oven mitts, put your herb in parchment between the plates, and stand on it for weight.

Last edited:
Any of the home hardware places in the Yew Kay will have stuff off the shelf (other than plates and controllers). Here's one made of things you can mostly pick up at the HW store.

But I did find this vid which references a cheap source for 'matching milled metal blocks', which you can drill for cartridge heaters. Or a local shop can drill them for you.
http://www.rollitup.org/t/275-diy-rosin-plates-pid-controller-and-press.936400/

edit @Pyr0 10 ton is great! The High Five press is a 1 ton manual and works great for small amounts. Heck, get yerself a hair straightener and a couple of oven mitts, put your herb in parchment between the plates, and stand on it for weight.

Now I get it!
How simple is that?
$20/gram now I know.
Thank You!

I've found a shop here in the UK selling Nugsmasher/mini presses, so I'm tempted to just get one of those for now.
I still want something with more power, but I might wait to see if plates and controllers become more readily available as I'd like more choice, maybe some caged plates

HI Killick, I've been using an irwin quick grip and a straightener, but i think the grip is starting to fail and it hurts my hands after a couple of squishes so i'm after something a little more durable and easier on my hands

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a Nugsmasher Mini for now from Cultivate Hydroponics in the UK
https://www.cultivatehydroponics.co.uk/product-page/nug-smasher-mini

It's a brand new business and Rhys the owner has been absolutely fantastic.
He's a really nice guy and has kept me updated all the way through the ordering and delivery process.
All in all it took less than 2 weeks to get here including the time taken for the plug conversion.

No squish pics yet as I'm stuck at work for the next 4-5 hours :(

C8J9bXJ.jpg

5prxoWb.jpg

jILQ0Qp.jpg

Yesterday I called my steel buddy. He told me that actually he's programming the arduino temp control. There'll come two displays, one for each plate in a nice stainless enclosure. Construction of plates in progress. He's starting with the DIY sets. First round 4' and 6' ones powered by cartridge heaters. Anybody really interested in 2' plates?
When I get the CAD construction graphs I'll post them here.
He guesses that the first sets will be available within the next 4 to 8 weeks.
No delivery to the US cause of possible law troubles with electrics and liability issues!
But seems to be the first European manufacturer of rosin presses.

If you should have an outer US adressee it shouldn't be a prob. But I'm with him. Exporting rosin presses to the US is like carrying owls to Athens. Shipping costs, taxes and customs would make it uncompetitively

If you should have an outer US adressee it shouldn't be a prob. But I'm with him. Exporting rosin presses to the US is like carrying owls to Athens. Shipping costs, taxes and customs would make it uncompetitively
At $20/gram in CALIFORNIA?
+ their is too much CANNABIS flooding the market.
Times are changing?
Even MEXICO is growing quality instead of brick weed.
A ROSIN press is a great device to own if your GEOGRAPHICAL challenged?

Experimentation...

random, 1 gram nug of skywalker, smashed :) (0.9something grams)
mi82itf.jpg

beAsgKM.jpg

JSrDnzF.jpg

Yield was 0.21grams

First impression is this thing is really compact :)
The pucks are coming out flatter than ever
It's a lot easier to use than the straighteners, less stress on my hands and the end product, I would say smells of a higher quality

I also picked up a pack of the 1.8x3" 160mic bags so I'll have to try squashing 3.5 grams sometime to see if it actually flows out lol

Last edited:
@ataxian 20$ per gramm is nearly unbelievable. Around 20% yield means 4$ per gramm for weed. And in additioin the efforts for processing and costs for pro equipement.
How does it pay up?

Here prices just for weed are twice of that at least. If you should get rosin you have to pay around 70-90 € on the street. A big pusher I know would pay 30-40.000 € per kg rosin!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back