Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Rosin Tek

@ataxian 20$ per gramm is nearly unbelievable. Around 20% yield means 4$ per gramm for weed. And in additioin the efforts for processing and costs for pro equipement.
How does it pay up?

Here prices just for weed are twice of that at least. If you should get rosin you have to pay around 70-90 € on the street. A big pusher I know would pay 30-40.000 € per kg rosin!
Illegal = expensive
Legal = cheap

Less risk lower price.

The other web site is a full blown religous site? (the EARTH is 4.3 billion years old)
Evidence matter's!

Speaking from my experience.....

I met with a rosin guy from Washington who was in town doing consults. I was able to purchase the best rosin... I'd go as far as to say the best CONCENTRATES I've ever had for $20/gram from him. His motto is 'Patients over profits. Fuck your wallet.'

But... to purchase rosin at a dispensary is far more expensive that concentrates made with solvents. Good rosin is usually $80 - $100/gram opposed to the $20/gram for sale shatter.

Weed goes from $150/oz for a special to over $300/oz for top shelf.

Thanks mom. Guess the cheap BHO shatter is only made of trim and popcorn? So it's a kind of use of leftovers. I can't imagine that somebody is selling rosin from flowers for $20 per gr.!?

Washington may be more expensive than Cali but your called prices seem to be reasonable.

Washington may be more expensive than Cali but your called prices seem to be reasonable.
Actually, the prices I'm quoting are for Detroit. :smile:

As to what they are running the rosin from.... I'd say that trim and popcorn are a good bet. The dispensaries will label their shatter trim run or nug run and the nug run will cost a bit more. But I'm always wondering how big those 'nugs' really are that they use lol.

I don't care for trim run; as a rule. A bit too harsh.

Illegal= without taxes
Legal = with taxes

How much is weed in your area?
I can get 1oz = $100 FLOWER GSC = GHETTO of LA
Dispensairy = $200 per oz = great mix
You can buy gram's however the price goes up.
I away's buy OZ's. (custom were I live)
Mixing tobacco with CANNABIS is considered low class.
Tax is not a factor really.
It grows really well here.(not worth the effort)

ROSIN next harvest will be cheap!

CONCENTRATES are the waste of the harvest. (the waste can be decent)

I wish prices were that low over here lol

Playing with the Nugsmasher Mini again this evening :)

Pulled out 3.5 grams of some Skywalker which has been curing for a few months now
840OqP2.jpg

bagged it up
opj3QL9.jpg

and started squishing
KYYhI9I.jpg

xPwaFek.jpg

I should have timed the press, but didn't
xorl29W.jpg

v9Q8rUk.jpg

and the results
BqO2q3Z.jpg

MXRVtLH.jpg

Using some more accurate scales for yield
XHFj4xJ.jpg

6FQGQnN.jpg

I ended up with 0.963 grams of rosin
I calculate that to be around 27.5% return which I think isn't bad at all

Last edited:
I've had one really good return so far - 11 grams gave about 2.7 back - long press, 8 tons for a couple of minutes, 200f temp. I've tried bumping temp up slightly, but seem to need to get over the 8 ton mark for a decent return. I've been using a pre-press to about 500 lbs. The bags seem to hold a substantial amount of resin - I emptied a bag and pressed it and got a .4g return. Going to try filling one with loose nugs and see what happens...

@Pyr0 - you didn't measure time, but would you guess less than 5 minutes? I'm going to try going to the 5 ton mark over a couple of minutes, then cranking to 8500 or so and leave it for another 5 and see what things come out.

Question for anyone - I found a couple of things in the closet - Slick Sheet, and Slick Paper - they are both marked as safe for resin, but there was some discussion around which might be more appropriate last year, and now I can't seem to find it. Thoughts?

Hi @Killick, yes, I'd guess it was less than 5 minutes. It had pretty much stopped bubbling out so I released the pressure.

I haven't bothered trying to get the puck out of the bag, it split so I just chucked it on the side to throw in a bottle of vodka or something maybe :idon'tknow: (i don't really drink)

Funny, but my (split and broken) bags are soaking with the pressed pucks, and there's a lot of green coming out. Dont worry about drinking - the output is tincture, and you can make it stronger by evaping the alcohol off. Or just add it to something you are cooking, but it may be quite strong, so dose carefully :)

Funny, but my (split and broken) bags are soaking with the pressed pucks, and there's a lot of green coming out. Dont worry about drinking - the output is tincture, and you can make it stronger by evaping the alcohol off. Or just add it to something you are cooking, but it may be quite strong, so dose carefully :)
I don't recommend using buds with bags/screens. IME, one can easily press clean rosin without screens and the screens do break with usage over time. They're also expensive as fuck given that they are not infinitely reusable!

@herbivore21 I got a huge swack of bags included with the plates. The fabric screen material itself is quite inexpensive, at a few dollars for 3 cu metres.

So, material safety... Given the choice between Slick Paper or Slick Sheet, either? Or something else altogether? I ask as I just found both in the cupboard in the garage where I forgot them last year...

So, material safety... Given the choice between Slick Paper or Slick Sheet, either? Or something else altogether? I ask as I just found both in the cupboard in the garage where I forgot them last year...
Personally, slick paper is the only option I'd use these days. I don't like pressing flowers in the teflon stuff (although I love the teflon for cold storage!), the teflon can deform too much for my liking during the squish flower, even when you pre-puck. Teflon is great for large amounts of hash being rosined though!

Same goes for the pressing screen pouches - those are very useful for pressing hash, I just don't like them for flower. The breakage/deformation of these screens in the press is a contamination risk that I just don't wanna dice with.

I just pressed out a nice little collection of rosin today for something with a lighter mouth-feel than my full melt! That's right; once in a while, I press rosin for a break from full melt bubble :dog:

Damn do I need to get myself a larger press! I'd love to do a 1 oz press and then not turn my rosin press on for a month or two :biggrin: Jealous of your larger press my friend! :peace:

I don't recommend using buds with bags/screens. IME, one can easily press clean rosin without screens and the screens do break with usage over time. They're also expensive as fuck given that they are not infinitely reusable!

If the wine is good?
Sound's perfect to grow trees?
CALIFORNIA GRAPE'S & CANNABIS grow pretty well together.(outdoors)

My wife won't let me make anything?
At least it's getting cheaper.
A mix OZ is $160 at a DISPENERY. (flowers)
ROSIN is $20/gram.

Sound's perfect to grow trees?
CALIFORNIA GRAPE'S & CANNABIS grow pretty well together.(outdoors)
I was actually talking about the pressing screens being expensive, not the flower. Pressing screens are these little mesh pouches that some people put their flowers in before the press rosin to prevent any little pieces of flower coming into the rosin:

iu

These are not expensive pressing screens by the way, these are cheap Chinese DHGate style knock-offs. I'd never press rosin with screens of unknown provenance. I wanna know what the materials are, what grade of that material and what temp and pressure specifications it has been rated for.

My wife won't let me make anything?
At least it's getting cheaper.
A mix OZ is $160 at a DISPENERY. (flowers)
ROSIN is $20/gram.
Oh man, that is such cheap rosin that I would consider buying it myself! I have always been so impressed at how cheap they've managed to sell rosin in WA vs CA, where you could spend up to $100 on a gram of rosin. Glad you've got access to good solventless concentrates my friend! I always like to hear from me medical user buddies like yourself that good medicine is cheap and accessible. May it always be that way for you and all of our fellow patients! :peace:

So using Slick Paper the material squishes out the sides - it's like there isn't enough traction to hold the pressed puck together and it sludges wide. Piled the sludge on some parchment and got a return, but not great. I'm also finding the Slick Paper to be tricky to pick up resin as it chips off and flies around. The FlashVape guys assure me their bags are 100% food safe nylon mesh that can be soaked in EC, and thats where they sit today...

Time for some heat experiments...

So using Slick Paper the material squishes out the sides - it's like there isn't enough traction to hold the pressed puck together and it sludges wide. Piled the sludge on some parchment and got a return, but not great. I'm also finding the Slick Paper to be tricky to pick up resin as it chips off and flies around. The FlashVape guys assure me their bags are 100% food safe nylon mesh that can be soaked in EC, and thats where they sit today...

Time for some heat experiments...
Can you show me a picture illustrating how the material squishes out the sides? You may be folding your 'pouch' of parchment too tight in certain areas which can cause this outcome. I find that if my parchment is folded at the sides and there is not enough width to contain the puck at it presses out, then you get blowouts from the sides of the parchment.

The key is to dial in your perfect puck size for your press, and then dial in the perfect sized and folded parchment to contain the puck inside the plates whilst not being too small and so risking blowouts.

One more thing - some flowers are incredibly dense. I find that the really dense broad leaf varieties can absolutely balloon out when you press them. The puck can end up insanely larger in diameter than the original pre-pressed nug was. Some varieties will require that you press a hell of a lot less flower at a time to get good results. In my vise press scenario, I can press up to 1g of a airier, fluffier/less dense variety. When I get to super dense, voluminous nugs, I end up having to press no more than .3g at a time or I risk blowouts!

Sorry for slow response - after that episode it's been busy with company. But one of the company had some ideas, and I'm testing one out now. Pre-press puck is now cut in 1/2, so instead of a single puck it's in 2x 3.8g pucks, and the first one is resting at around 5tons and 205f...

I haven't been folding parchment at all - just letting it squirt around the puck.

So far the best squish was the one where I ran near 100% capacity, but the bowing metal makes me a little twitchy until I either get a bigger press or weld some strategic metal on this press...

Deforming pic inbound....

Guess which one has gone through the press?
20170823_203331.jpg

So I had a guy approach me on IG and ask me if I've tried the press from this site; which of course I haven't. Anyone heard of these folk? The one red flag for me is that they sell the 'hand press' rosin press; much like the Tarik press I bought and feel is junk. Their enails are super cheap as well.

So I'm curious.......

They look like Chinese presses and enails to me

These are not expensive pressing screens by the way, these are cheap Chinese DHGate style knock-offs. I'd never press rosin with screens of unknown provenance. I wanna know what the materials are, what grade of that material and what temp and pressure specifications it has been rated for.
Because American made bags are so much better? I don't think so.
Do you get temp ranges and pressure specs when ordering from say Nugsmasher? no you do not
Can I be certain of the grade of mesh from someone like Nugsmasher - No I cannot
I ordered 160 mic bags from NS, when they arrived they looked very coarse so I put them under the microscope and measure 250 microns
They don't even sell 250 micron bags.

The Chinese bags will be made from FDA monofilament nylon (you can request certification) with a max temp of around 120C as that's usually slightly cheaper than polyester (around 150C)

I'm looking into making my own.

Mom note: posts merged.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back