Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Rosin Tek

I've been out doing wierd things for awhile, so left the press with a buddy. He's been doing some amazing things with a variety of things. Pressing different straions and experimenting with temps and pressures, and then started pressing orange peel, lavender and other things to see what he'd get. Yesterday he pressed some sage and got (Ta Da) sage oil. He's been mixing some of the fruit/herb rosin with some of the cannaherb rosin and enjoying it immensely. I'm using some of the regular ole herbal resin in a Saionara atomizer and really enjoying it :)

Quick update - buddy has been making some great things. Lavender Kush Rosin is an example. It's like perfume, but not in that cheap drugstore way, if that makes any sense...

:)

Sounds interesting. Is he pressing lavender flowers? Fresh? Dried? What temps is he using?

I'm thinking vaping lavender would be OK, as I've vaped organically grown lavender flowers before, but I wonder about how safe citrus oils would be. For one if the say orange was sprayed with pesticides that could be in the squeezed oil. And then how safe are the oils when inhaled?

@Shredder great questions! He's dropping over later so will ask. I know the citrus is organic, and heavily cleaned before he uses it.

Just reread the OP - lavender kush, in this instance, is a strain, and it smells divine when pressed :) I'll ask if he's been pressing lavender. I did make a lav tincture last year, using 'organic' lav from our yard. On an unrelated note is dog pee organic? Asking for a friend...

New to the forum, and rosin tek. Just starting with a hair straightener til I get a press. I’m using a Remington 1 3/4 straightener. This is one of my first squishes. 1g GMO Cookies was the starting flower.

9182F85C-AC52-4AAF-99FB-EAE0880E14AF.jpeg

7g squished. Can’t wait to get a press.

A3DCD0CA-DFB9-40FA-9AA2-4C8DCEF32839.jpeg

Mod note: posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Coe0718 and welcome to the asylum. :biggrin:

Looks like you're getting some pretty nice return. Much better success than I've had with a hair straightener.

What type of press you looking to get?

I’m looking at a 6-Ton a-frame with 3x3 plates. Should do well for personal squishing. Im using a clamp to hold pressure on the straightener. Also put 2 2x3 pieces of wood on the clamp to apply even pressure across the plates.

In the meantime, you could improve returns by getting yourself a clamp like the Irwin heavy duty quick grip or similar (not sure of the brands available in the states).
They give up to 600lb of squishing force.
http://www.irwin.co.uk/tools/clamps/heavy-duty-one-handed-bar-clamps
I took my straighteners apart and mounted the plates on the clamp (just melted them into it by running hot while clamping). Looked pretty ghetto with the electrical tape but returns were much better than using straighteners by themselves.

[edit]
lol, didn't look too dissimilar to these:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64747&pictureid=1631036
or
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64747&pictureid=1631037

[edit]
Doh! I'm blind, ignore me :P
I just noticed you mentioned you already use a clamp

Last edited:
View attachment 3486 Quick question, how do you guys feel about pre-pressing?

I pre press, but I'm pressing 12-18 + grams at a time. I use the oil slick single sheets, and rosin bags all in a twenty ton press with 3x5 caged plates. Pre pressing is probably a must in this scenario.

You may want to google bottle tech. I havn't paid a ton of attention, but it uses bags set vertically in a press, without pre pressing, with good results one is led to believe. You can press more in a small space.

For single average sized buds, I don't think you really need a bag or a pre press, but I wouldn't recommend the oil slick type paper because it's too slippery and buds squish crazy big , and the edges squeeze into the rosin, at least in my press.

I usually press 7 grams at a time. I moved on from prepressing to bottle tech w a slight pre press since I have caged plates. I take a 2x4 120micron or 160micron nylon filter and try and fold the bottle tech way. I flatten out the bottom and then stuff the bag full and squish the buds down until the bag is just under half full. I cut the top half off, fold the top of the filter bag closed and then I put it in my prepress with the insert press perpendicular to the press in mold so my puck is about 1/2" tall still when I am done. Then I put this in the press between a folded sheet of oil slick sheet at about 205-220F. I bring the top plate down slowly to avoid blowouts or breaking the filter bag. This is the cleanest and best method from my experiences. I get great yields still and nothing to pick out of my Rosin. Just scrape and go. The other thing I notice is that this method seems to promote self nucleation on much of the rosin that I collect. I have had some Rasberry Kush turn into a peanut brittle like material overnight while settling after collection!

Anyone know how to stop rosin from leaking thru the parchment? Am I using to much pressure?

Here’s a few of my latest squishes

Gorilla glue
View attachment 3539 View attachment 3540

Blue Goo
View attachment 3541 View attachment 3542

OG18
View attachment 3543

What kind of paper are you using? I like the single sheets that oil slick sells. The silicone coating is thicker than other brands. You may want to experiment with temperatures as well.

If your talking about the discolored area where the puck sat I don't think that's rosin leaking thru the paper. The rosin for the most part squeezes out the sides and ends. The goal is to get it off the plates and away from the heat quickly. The discoloring in the center of the squeezed puck area on the paper is from pressure and should not interfer with your rosin.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back