Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Rosin Tek

I have used the standing on straightener method with bud
And with a squeeze grip clamp
Surprisingly had better results standing on it

I have already thought of the issues with the slug you mentioned, but for price I still thought that it would maybe do a decent job for now..I also like the ability to use in bush etc with no power...until I want to spend dabpress money....is it that bad for less than $100?
The standing on straightener is annoying and I wanted to squash more than I could at a time
I have pulled the plates out and use on a wooden board and then a piece of flat metal on top one I stand on
Not huge yields from this method but it works enough to know I want to make more and better yields
only measurement of temp I have used is the straighter inbuilt one, had it on lowest setting - 140 c I think

I first used a glass nail and dome type
Have a quartz banger on the way to try
Once I get a press sorted I will def look at the SiC etc you are recommending as I am keen on getting the most out of my dabs
It really does taste and feel great when you get a good hit, and I have not yet used good equipment for consumption or pressing

Dr Dabber Switch looks interesting too @LesPlenty for a dual vaper....

However currently the dabpress is too much for me and I would like a cheaper option
If there are suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
I was almost gonna buy a slug today....

Cheers for info ppl....

So, I got impatient and pulled the trigger on a slug deuce ......

Would still love suggestions for decent affordable presses unless ppl think dabpress is it and I should just save for one of theirs...

I feel I have reasonable manual skills and unless the slug is completely shite I should be able to get soem results....here's hoping....

I will let you know how my slug goes when it arrives....

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response, looks like I need to do some more research. I have a good quality Record 1 ton vice to use, a hair straightener and a set of bubble bags I have no used yet. It also seems I would need to invest in something decent to vape it with, I have been looking at the NewVape Vrod as a possible contender as it can vape flower well also. The strain I am growing is called Incredible Bulk, I do not even know if this strain lends itself to squishing or not.
When it comes to concentrates I am a complete noob.:thumbsup:
Glad to assist man, you're in very good company around these parts when it comes to learning about concentrates! In response to your points: A 1t record vise will work well for the setup I describe above. It would seem that you'll well on the way with this project already :biggrin:

Definitely look into a solid enail for the concentrate vaping solution - nothing else compares for concentrates (some torch solutions can, but consistency is more difficult of course). Remember that the flowerpots are nice, but if you use them for flower too, you'll diminish the flavor of your concentrate hits, they'll taste like your previous flower bowls to some extent as that flavor really funks up the vapor path. SiC halo is definitely my top recommendation for the e-nail if affordability, durability and reliability are what you are looking for. However they're out of stock lately.

Incredible Bulk presses well IME man (15-20% yield IIRC), shouldn't be a problem so long as you've let the material flower for long enough. As with all extraction methods, one of the most important variables that determines your resin yields is how long it was allowed to flower for on the plant. Flowering periods should always be at the longest end of recommended flower periods given by seed banks/breeders etc if you want to extract. Sometimes it is best to flower for longer than the longest recommended flower period given by the vendor!

I've processed the same allegedly 8-10 week variety that the cultivator grew from clones and seen it give 28% rosin yields when flowered for 10 weeks, and only 10% rosin yield from the same clones when flowered for 9 weeks. It is so crucial to grow your flowers for long enough to get that final resin production. You're limiting the vapor/extracts you'll get out of those flowers if you don't.

@felvapes I'll be back soon with a response :peace:

BTW, I would advise not to soak parchment in ethanol to save the leftover dabs, I'd hate to think what you might pull out of parchment with a solvent like ethanol. Try to get the parchment on a frozen surface and see if the material becomes stable enough to collect the lion's share off your parchment. Using milk may be ok with the parchment, as the parchment is intended for culinary purposes, however I do wonder if it would require extended contact and heating of the milk to achieve the desired solvent action, which may also bring some parchment constituents along for the ride...

Yes, you are quite right. I planned to put the parchment in a 90 mu rosin bag and tie it up. Then it simmers (so, max of 212 R, more or less) it with milk and some water and make tea of out it. The bag is for concern about the actual paper disintegrating....and it may and the whole thing may get poured down the drain.

But something like this is the only option as this stuff will just NOT come off of the paper.

Cheers

I have used the standing on straightener method with bud
And with a squeeze grip clamp
Surprisingly had better results standing on it

The standing on straightener is annoying and I wanted to squash more than I could at a time
I have pulled the plates out and use on a wooden board and then a piece of flat metal on top one I stand on
Not huge yields from this method but it works enough to know I want to make more and better yields
only measurement of temp I have used is the straighter inbuilt one, had it on lowest setting - 140 c I think
This is very similar to how I started out with the rosin tek. Before rosin I'd already been making bubble, dry sift, dry ice sift, qwet, qwiso and a variety of other solvent based extraction methods. All of that solvent experience really drove home to me how promising the rosin technique would be! I am so pleased to see new folks to concentrates like yourself able to make safe solventless dabs like this. Teach a man to fish and so on...:biggrin:

But back on topic, you may also want to get your hands on a good C Clamp (ie: Irwin) from your local hardware store to get more pressure onto your straightener, this could actually get you better results than the Slug! A straightener and the right clamp can go a long way in the rosin world! Also the temps you mentioned are quite high, have you measured at the plates with a thermometer/thermocouple? It is very important to know the temp you're working with at the plates themselves, not the readout on the dial of your device. You might want to not let the straightener completely heat up when you do the press. This is because ideally you'll want temps at the plates that are closer to the boiling point of water.

I first used a glass nail and dome type
Have a quartz banger on the way to try
Once I get a press sorted I will def look at the SiC etc you are recommending as I am keen on getting the most out of my dabs
It really does taste and feel great when you get a good hit, and I have not yet used good equipment for consumption or pressing
You'll be really happy with the results when you get one. It is amazing just how much better solventless dabs on a high end enail are than just about any other cannabis experience!

BTW, one more cheap and effective option for pressing rosin is the cannaclamp, IIRC folks were saying good things about that. Haven't used it myself however.

@herbivore21 , et all

My fifth squish was with 27% THC, Pineapple Skunk. Big colas. I also vape this flower and like it a LOT. But my yields are still not up to par.

I peaked the gauge pressure at 2k psi with temp of 195 F. With the puck at 1.5" diameter, that is 1.75 square inches of area. So, 2k on the gauge x 4.37 square inches of the jack cylinder = 8,740. 8,740 divided by 1.75 = 4994 psi on the load...which should be PLENTY.

I squished a 1.8 g cola between parchment. No bag and I only did a very minor pre-press to flatten the nug just a bit.

The resulting rosin was beautiful. It collected brilliantly and tasted great with great effects.

But the yield is still low.

I have more of this flower and intend to try it also in flat bag and bottle tech. I might be able to go lower in temp but I'm happy with the consistency I'm getting. Just not the yield. I could add more pressure (and perhaps a lower temp) but 5k psi on the load is plenty from all I have read.

Maybe this is just the yield that can be gotten with the flower I have available. At this point, I can't say for certain.

My squish log to date:
f0t7ccey0k12jzjw.jpg

The resulting rosin
9t9pua4sfia51f9l.jpeg

But at least my press is appropriately decorated now! (that's Bud's new Vape Life logo, I'm not a stickers and pins kind of guy, but I liked this one. LOL)
28zzhm2ellaxpdc0.jpeg

Any suggestions are welcomed

By the by, here are some pics of the trichomes on this strain....looks pretty good to me...maybe a little immature but pretty good flower, IMO. Thoughts?

Attachment_7.jpg

Pineapple_Skunk_1.jpg

Pineapple_Skunk_3.jpg

@herbivore21 , et all

My fifth squish was with 27% THC, Pineapple Skunk. Big colas. I also vape this flower and like it a LOT. But my yields are still not up to par.

I peaked the gauge pressure at 2k psi with temp of 195 F. With the puck at 1.5" diameter, that is 1.75 square inches of area. So, 2k on the gauge x 4.37 square inches of the jack cylinder = 8,740. 8,740 divided by 1.75 = 4994 psi on the load...which should be PLENTY.

I squished a 1.8 g cola between parchment. No bag and I only did a very minor pre-press to flatten the nug just a bit.

The resulting rosin was beautiful. It collected brilliantly and tasted great with great effects.

But the yield is still low.

I have more of this flower and intend to try it also in flat bag and bottle tech. I might be able to go lower in temp but I'm happy with the consistency I'm getting. Just not the yield. I could add more pressure (and perhaps a lower temp) but 5k psi on the load is plenty from all I have read.

Maybe this is just the yield that can be gotten with the flower I have available. At this point, I can't say for certain.

My squish log to date:
f0t7ccey0k12jzjw.jpg

The resulting rosin
9t9pua4sfia51f9l.jpeg

But at least my press is appropriately decorated now! (that's Bud's new Vape Life logo, I'm not a stickers and pins kind of guy, but I liked this one. LOL)
28zzhm2ellaxpdc0.jpeg

Any suggestions are welcomed
Holy shit brother, I am surprised that you got that first press finished at all given that the ambient RH was 9000%. Good luck swimming out of that room when you're done! :dog:

Man I'm actually quite surprised that they'd be reporting 27% THC on that flower but then you're getting such small yields. If 27% of the flower was measured to contain THC, then at least 30% of that flower has really got to be resin. If you only get a 13% or so yield, that tells me that something is up.

Looking at your data, I'd suggest trying to push your measured temp at the plates up a little, get it towards 210-220. Some flower prefers more heat to get all the resin out. IME, if you press @ 193f or so at the plates, you may require more than one squish to get all of the goods out with some kinds of material. Alternatively, more pressure might also assist, given all the pressure you have to play with, I'd try some additional pressure before ramping up the heat.

I can't clearly make out heads in your pics above, but that is likely because it is difficult to capture clear/white heads with good focus due to the heads almost functioning as little lenses themselves. One good way to see how much good stuff is left in your puck is to grind it up finely and vape it at a high temp. If it gives a bunch of clouds in your vape still, then you know that you've left goodness inside and it probably needs another squish.

If I were in your position, I'd start out trying to give that same 27% puck a second press at the same temp. If you don't get much out, consider jacking your temp/pressure (one or the other, not both!) up some. This is another good way to see how much you've left behind in the puck.

Just be mindful that you may damage the parchment if the pressure gets too high, so practice with small amounts til you've found your sweet-spot. I tend to only press .3g of flower at a time when I'm just getting started. Right now, I'm fortunate enough to have some flower that juices out >30% in one press sometimes, and at worst barely returns less than 30%! Here's to hoping that this 27% THC material that you have is legitimately that, because if so, I expect you'll be getting yields like I am very soon, and that my friend, is a good place to be! :peace:

@herbivore21 - hahaha...yeah, I made a formatting change, blew the percentage figures, fixed them all....but apparently missed one! haha

I will try to get better pics of the trichomes on the Pineapple Skunk but I can assure you that this is really very good vaping flower....but my pressing yields are still low.

I've watched Bubbleman's vids (which I have to tell you, it ain't easy for me to watch too much of him) and his Where's My Bike strain 30% yields. In particular, it was apparently so sticky and gooey (the buds) that he picked up his scale by just sticking it to his finger. So, this brings up the point of what exactly makes bud dank and sticky. THC or....maybe plant waxes/fats/cell organelles/other stuff???.

Because, I don't really know anybody who has sent rosin out for testing so I don't really know what % of yield is THC and what is just other junk.

I doubt that Bubbleman's flower was over 30% THC...and I feel somewhat confident that he didn't squeeze out 30% yield of just THC so some percentage of his rosin is "other stuff". How much....dunno. What makes up the "other stuff", I dunno. But it can't be THC.

Wrt to the flower test results of my Pineapple Skunk....I have had two conversations with lead growers from two our our med cultivators and they both said that there is some difference between results from the three labs we have doing testing (and of course, all growers want to shop for the best test numbers). But what can the general magnitude of this difference between lab results be? I'm saying 10% and no more than 15%...otherwise I think the state would look into it and certainly one lab would get all of the work and the others will be sucking wind. So, let's just say 15% and let's deduct that from my 27% test results. So, I think its safe to say I have a min of 23% THC...but only a 13% yield (sigh).

So, I watched a LOT of vids. In particular, Pure Pressure did an experiment with two strains squished identically under different levels of RH wich is here:

They tested with Death Valley Cheese and Blueberry....both indicas I believe. Here is the THC amounts that they claim are in this flower:

Pure Pressure Humidy vs Yield Testing - strain test results.JPG

Basically, 26%.

Then they show the yields that they got....and this is the manufacture using full up bags and all of the tech that they have....and the results were:

Pure Pressure Humidy vs Yield Testing.JPG

Pretty low figures, note the 15% at 62% RH for the Cheese. So, again...I wonder exactly what is driving the yields up for Bubbleman and some others....THC or is it other sticky plant material that will also squish out and increase yield but not much else.

I feel certain that a lot of it is my source material....but I will also take your suggestions of increasing pressure some....and if that doesn't resolve it, then increase temp some but I'm afraid of getting too high of a temp and having oily sticky rosin that's hard to collect.

By the by, I did do a second squish on the puck....folded it over and squished the heck out of it again....and got another .032 g. Not much. And yes, I saved the puck and will try to vape it some and maybe even smoke it (oh, the horror...the horror...haha) and see what's left in there but I suspect not much.

This has been more difficult that I thought it would be....but the rosin I am getting is delicious, a beautiful color, and hits hard...I like it, just want more of it. LOL

Cheers

I will try to get better pics of the trichomes on the Pineapple Skunk but I can assure you that this is really very good vaping flower....but my pressing yields are still low.
I believe this man, I can see plenty of sites where those trichomes would be expected to be found from your pics above and coupled with the purported THC levels, I expect there should be plenty of resin on this material :biggrin:

@herbivore21 - hahaha...yeah, I made a formatting change, blew the percentage figures, fixed them all....but apparently missed one! haha
Gave me a great laugh on a busy day man! :dog:

I've watched Bubbleman's vids (which I have to tell you, it ain't easy for me to watch too much of him) and his Where's My Bike strain 30% yields. In particular, it was apparently so sticky and gooey (the buds) that he picked up his scale by just sticking it to his finger. So, this brings up the point of what exactly makes bud dank and sticky. THC or....maybe plant waxes/fats/cell organelles/other stuff???.
The material that I have right now looks and yields just like the Where is My Bike that bman presses in his videos. Remember that a large portion of concentrates, aside from the cannabinoids can also be the terps and other such aromatic compounds. Some pigments and other compounds can be expressed into rosin, but this is more true of 'live rosin' and fresh material than material that has been properly dried and cured, like myself or bubbleman would use. Of course, the entire composition of what we get in rosin is not yet accounted for in the analytical chem literature, so I'd stop short of pretending that I know everything that we'd find. Nonetheless, the rosin I'm getting 30% yields of is every bit as effective and delicious as lower yielding flowers I've pressed in the past :peace:

BTW, interested to hear why Bubbleman rubs you the wrong way :science: :dog:

I doubt that Bubbleman's flower was over 30% THC...and I feel somewhat confident that he didn't squeeze out 30% yield of just THC so some percentage of his rosin is "other stuff". How much....dunno. What makes up the "other stuff", I dunno. But it can't be THC.
Watch out for that THC myopia my friend. We've all been there of course, too many of us for too long have put too much stock in THC! THC is very well known not to be the only thing that we're looking for in cannabis resin (regardless of your purpose for using it).

As a long-term patient/extractor, I don't wanna use pure THC (and if I wanted to; I could, I first fractionated my own THCA crystals sometime back in 2014 IIRC!). I want to use whole resin with as much of the other aromatic compounds in the resin as possible. I also prefer for the secretory cells and wax membranes to be present and unaltered from how they were on the plant to any kind of oil extracts. My preferences for this relatively unrefined (chemically speaking, we're not talking about 'refined taste' here lol) concentrate method despite being well-versed in all manner of extraction methods speaks to the importance of compounds other than THC in cannabis medicine.

Pretty low figures, note the 15% at 62% RH for the Cheese. So, again...I wonder exactly what is driving the yields up for Bubbleman and some others....THC or is it other sticky plant material that will also squish out and increase yield but not much else.
As above, I can definitely vouch for high yielding rosin as being every bit as high quality as low yielding rosin.

I feel certain that a lot of it is my source material....but I will also take your suggestions of increasing pressure some....and if that doesn't resolve it, then increase temp some but I'm afraid of getting too high of a temp and having oily sticky rosin that's hard to collect.
You're nowhere near at temps where you need to worry about ruining the material or having uncollectable rosin brother. I regularly press material @ 220f with no such problems :biggrin: I think that experimentation is going to get you better results. I too had plenty of trial and error before I got ideal results with rosin tek, just like with all extraction methods I tried :science:
By the by, I did do a second squish on the puck....folded it over and squished the heck out of it again....and got another .032 g. Not much. And yes, I saved the puck and will try to vape it some and maybe even smoke it (oh, the horror...the horror...haha) and see what's left in there but I suspect not much.
Definitely vape it, this is the best way to see if you're getting any significant clouds from the squished puck still. Grind it very fine and use additional screens if necessary. Don't pack it too tight unless you're using a conduction vape.

This has been more difficult that I thought it would be....but the rosin I am getting is delicious, a beautiful color, and hits hard...I like it, just want more of it. LOL
That was my initial experience with rosin too man, the quality benefits were very clear, but getting the yields to match took some dialling in of technique. Keep playing with temp and pressure for now, I wouldn't be surprised if you get there sooner than later :biggrin:

BTW, interested to hear why Bubbleman rubs you the wrong way

Well, its not like I dispise him but a number of his vids seem more to emphasize his stoner life style than true information about...well, in this case, squishing. They sometimes seem more of a beauty pageant for rosin than any sort of instructional or informational vid. That's all.

Watch out for that THC myopia my friend. We've all been there of course, too many of us for too long have put too much stock in THC! THC is very well known not to be the only thing that we're looking for in cannabis resin (regardless of your purpose for using it).

I am more than well aware of this....but THC is, indeed, the constituent with the most significant percentage in the flower. The THC was 30%. The terps probably come in at a few percent total...at the most. So, when talking yields and what are the constituents of that yield, and in particular VERY high yielding strains, pretty much the only significant tested constituent compound is going to be the THC. 30% THC, a couple or few % of terps/flavinoids, so what is the rest of it made of and are very high return squishes because they extracted more "other" than not.

I do note that you said that your high yield rosins seemed to retain the same efficacy as other rosin and that's certainly a data point. But I agree, we just don't know for certain without a lot of actual testing.

I believe I will try to up the temps to 220 or even 225. I still have a good bit of that Pineapple Skunk, and while I have had another poster tell me that he never was able to get very high yields from that strain, if I keep the strain constant and only vary temp, I may get some valid data. This is complicated by the additional factor of three squish techs, raw bud in parchment, bud in flat rosin bag, and bottle tech. The matrix can get pretty large and I don't think I can afford to test all combos. So, next squish will hold all constant from the last one but with temp increased. That should isolate and differences in result to temp...more or less (this sure ain't a scientific lab environment! haha)

Thanks for continuing to participate in this conversation....very interesting and I appreciate your insights and help very much.

Cheers

This is very similar to how I started out with the rosin tek. Before rosin I'd already been making bubble, dry sift, dry ice sift, qwet, qwiso and a variety of other solvent based extraction methods. All of that solvent experience really drove home to me how promising the rosin technique would be! I am so pleased to see new folks to concentrates like yourself able to make safe solventless dabs like this. Teach a man to fish and so on...:biggrin:

But back on topic, you may also want to get your hands on a good C Clamp (ie: Irwin) from your local hardware store to get more pressure onto your straightener, this could actually get you better results than the Slug! A straightener and the right clamp can go a long way in the rosin world! Also the temps you mentioned are quite high, have you measured at the plates with a thermometer/thermocouple? It is very important to know the temp you're working with at the plates themselves, not the readout on the dial of your device. You might want to not let the straightener completely heat up when you do the press. This is because ideally you'll want temps at the plates that are closer to the boiling point of water.

You'll be really happy with the results when you get one. It is amazing just how much better solventless dabs on a high end enail are than just about any other cannabis experience!

BTW, one more cheap and effective option for pressing rosin is the cannaclamp, IIRC folks were saying good things about that. Haven't used it myself however.

I have tried an irwin clamp.....still prefer standing atm...

Slug on the way so will see how goes while saving for dabpress....

cannaclamp looks interesting with temp controls etc done better than hair straightener

I still think rso is the goods esp for using avb and leftover puks from squishing but loving the rosin world

what do ppl think of this next to the setup I was looking at above with auber etc

https://www.newvape.com/vrod-starter-kit

cannaclamp looks interesting with temp controls etc done better than hair straightener
Definitely man, it appears to be one of the better offerings for cheaper personal rosin solutions!

I still think rso is the goods esp for using avb and leftover puks from squishing but loving the rosin world
I should clarify that I don't personally rate RSO at all, the solvents that I've seen Rick Simpson recommend are not safe. Additionally, the length of the contact between starting material and solvent is also far too long for my liking - just makes disgusting black sludge of almost all of the content of the starting flower, what you end up with is barely a concentrate.

I never use solvents with unprocessed flower and don't recommend that in a DIY home setting - a lot of risk for what is damn near guaranteed to be a worse final product than you'll get from a hair straightener. If you're DIY extracting at home, solvents should be reserved for reclaim, AVB and rosin pucks ONLY. QWISO/QWET are great alternatives to RSO methods for extracting from AVB and leftover rosin pucks, rosin pucks can produce delicious results using these methods!

TBH, I more often just grind and vape my rosin pucks than using solvents on them - it works great! Less solvents is more IME. :myday: BTW, I've successfully extracted from AVB made out of rosin pucks that I vaped! It just keeps on giving!

I've moved all the responses to this over to the DHGate ENail Kit thread so that we keep this thread on topic. :thumbsup:
Thanks Mom! It was looking a bit too much like a vaporizer thread here for a moment :dog:

Definitely man, it appears to be one of the better offerings for cheaper personal rosin solutions!

I should clarify that I don't personally rate RSO at all, the solvents that I've seen Rick Simpson recommend are not safe. Additionally, the length of the contact between starting material and solvent is also far too long for my liking - just makes disgusting black sludge of almost all of the content of the starting flower, what you end up with is barely a concentrate.

I never use solvents with unprocessed flower and don't recommend that in a DIY home setting - a lot of risk for what is damn near guaranteed to be a worse final product than you'll get from a hair straightener. If you're DIY extracting at home, solvents should be reserved for reclaim, AVB and rosin pucks ONLY. QWISO/QWET are great alternatives to RSO methods for extracting from AVB and leftover rosin pucks, rosin pucks can produce delicious results using these methods!

TBH, I more often just grind and vape my rosin pucks than using solvents on them - it works great! Less solvents is more IME. :myday: BTW, I've successfully extracted from AVB made out of rosin pucks that I vaped! It just keeps on giving!

Thanks Mom! It was looking a bit too much like a vaporizer thread here for a moment :dog:
If you use a still and make your own ethanol it is safe and organic
If you are good not lazy at separating the solvent you end up with a pretty pure and strong final product.....
Not really any danger using a still

RSO is great way to use avb and squished buds and any shake or leaf etc
esp after running through ice bubble bags

great for canna caps too....

.3 - .5 ml in a cap will rock you way harder than as much rosin and for up to 8 hours longer......
You just do not get the instant rush waiting for the pill to kick in after 1 - 2 hrs unless you dab it - in which case rosin tastes a lot better ....

I do not rate butane extraction for wax or rosin though....

If you are good not lazy at separating the solvent you end up with a pretty pure and strong final product.....

great for canna caps too....

.3 - .5 ml in a cap will rock you way harder than as much rosin and for up to 8 hours longer......
You just do not get the instant rush waiting for the pill to kick in after 1 - 2 hrs unless you dab it - in which case rosin tastes a lot better ....

I agree to an extent. Ethanol can be organic but not nessarilly safe. After all it's very volitol. And stills can blow up. But it is safer than ISO, and it is alright to use if all the precautions are followed. But as we read on the net few peeps do solvent extractions safely. Lots of accidents and it's why folks like @herbivore21 are hesitant to recommend. (I think)

Anymore I just use solvents to get reclaim off glass and to strip used rosin pucks. And I do it carefully. Lots of ventilation, a wash station, fire extinguishers. But I mostly use rosin for medibles, topicals, and dabs. It does what solvent extracts do and brings fresh terpenes for the ride. Plus they're safer to make and use.

Wasn't talking about ethanol man, which can be quite safely used with the right precautions. Rick Simpson recommended home use of solvents like Naptha, that's what I take issue with about RSO.

Rosin tek can be used on flower that has been run into bubble hash too - with a better tasting/smelling final product!

BTW, it seems that you're using the term 'RSO' as a generic term for alcohol extraction - that is not how I understand the term. How long do you leave your solvent in contact with your flower for, if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to get an idea of the actual process you're talking about. :peace:

Man I work from 50-80+ hours a week in a field that demands higher cognitive functioning. I'm not looking to eat a substantial part of a gram of resin and sleep/sweat all day :dog:

I do always make edibles with QWISO when I do make edibles like you. I have long touted the benefits of cooking with extracts instead of actual plant material. It is definitely the best way to cook cannabis into food without changing the taste/consistency of said food much :biggrin: I never cook with resin from unvaped/unsquished flowers however. The volatile fraction of the resin is destroyed during the cooking process, in other words, resin is wasted. Cooking is only done with reclaim and AVB extracts in my situation.

Hmmm, not sure what you mean about using butane for rosin here, but we're agreed on this one. Butane should only be used for extraction in a professional industrial setting with strictly monitored/reviewed SOP and a properly regulated laboratory. Butane can make excellent extracts, it is true. However, anyone who practices open blasting in any context is potentially a danger to themselves and others. Even purpose built closed-loop extractors need to be used in an appropriate environment by appropriate skilled/trained workers.

But it is safer than ISO
Strictly speaking, ethanol is only really safer than ISO in the event that you don't sufficiently purge your solvent from the extract. The problems with iso come from residual iso remaining in the final product that you consume. A lot of people who make solvent extracts really don't understand what they're doing in the purge, and that is why this is a real risk for many. I've seen so much shit that is still runny with residual solvent over the years. :doh:

And stills can blow up.
Quoted for truth! A still needs to be operated safely in a safe environment and certainly carries potential risks. Many of the stoners I know should never be allowed to operate a still (not talking about you here, of course @felvapes)! :dog:

But as we read on the net few peeps do solvent extractions safely. Lots of accidents and it's why folks like @herbivore21 are hesitant to recommend. (I think)
That is the main reason, my friend. I am not comfortable watching the community do shit that might hurt them/others. If I see potentially unsafe practices being mentioned - I'm gonna say so at least :peace: Seen too many horror stories over the years.

Last edited:
Eureka! hahaha

Good squish tonight. Used the same Pineapple Skunk as I'm trying to determine effect of temp/pressure changes and want to keep strain constant. I have more and plan to continue to use this batch with different techniques which will eliminate the strain as a variable and let me see, hopefully, the effect of different settings.

So, squished a 1.92 g nug. Used a little bit of pre-press in mold but just with hand/weight pressure. Just flattened the nug out a bit prior to serious squishing.

I ran hotter...255 set point but the important value is measured temp and that was 221.4 F. Went up to 4k psi but only in the last 20 seconds or so...went up in pressure slowly.

For the first time, I had rosin oozing out onto the paper outside of the plates...very cool to watch.

Got back 20.3% on first weighing. Why note first weighing, you ask (or should! LOL). Well, over 15 minutes I noted that the net weight went down about .08 g. Doesn't sound like a lot but I only squished a couple of grams and pretty much any amount of loss is significant. I can only assume that coming off of the hot plates and after being collected it was still off gassing a bit...maybe? I weighed it a few times and it kept going down (and I have a very good three decimal place precision electronic scale...nice one and its calibrated).

Has anyone noted this before or do I just have an error (or slop) in my measuring technique???

I'm very happy. At 220 F, the rosin was just a little bit more brittle but easily collectable and didn't go flying off everywhere. But still perhaps a bit hot and I plan to repro this squish but with 210 F for measured temp.

2ab87el3qztn3f9x.jpg

This is what it looked like coming out of the press
8628uk8n004ezt9u.jpeg

I collected it on Slick Sheet (collected, not pressed. I pressed with regular Reynolds Parchment) which I like very much for this purpose. This is the end result...just a little bit darker than at lower temps but not by much and I'm ok with the quality.

k3us4lkdi9v10evw.jpeg

yb525lc2iuv30osm.jpeg

Stay up and keep squishing!

Well, its not like I dispise him but a number of his vids seem more to emphasize his stoner life style than true information about...well, in this case, squishing. They sometimes seem more of a beauty pageant for rosin than any sort of instructional or informational vid. That's all.
Oh shit, I forgot to mention I definitely get where you're coming from with this. Some of bubbleman's videos are not so interesting for me either, like the motorbike riding/sports type stuff. All that lifestyle stuff just doesn't really interest me either.

However, his products and cannabis extraction/growing related information sharing are to be praised, even if I don't use the same methods for bubble extraction. I have to give credit to bman for being one of the first to explain to me personally that the quality of your starting material is the main factor that determines whether you get full melt or not. The man is super approachable and responsive to the community and has learned from many of the most educated minds in the world when it comes to cannabis. That is such a valuable and uncommon resource.

He offers a lot of free support to the community and has for many years and that is something I will always respect. However like you, I'll continue to find myself wishing that he'd stop uploading most of his not-so-cannabis-related content to his bubbleman channel! To each their own, I suppose :peace:

Eureka! hahaha

Good squish tonight. Used the same Pineapple Skunk as I'm trying to determine effect of temp/pressure changes and want to keep strain constant. I have more and plan to continue to use this batch with different techniques which will eliminate the strain as a variable and let me see, hopefully, the effect of different settings.

So, squished a 1.92 g nug. Used a little bit of pre-press in mold but just with hand/weight pressure. Just flattened the nug out a bit prior to serious squishing.

I ran hotter...255 set point but the important value is measured temp and that was 221.4 F. Went up to 4k psi but only in the last 20 seconds or so...went up in pressure slowly.

For the first time, I had rosin oozing out onto the paper outside of the plates...very cool to watch.
Fantastic results my old friend! Glad to hear you're getting better results with more practice. I knew you'd get there :biggrin:

Got back 20.3% on first weighing. Why note first weighing, you ask (or should! LOL). Well, over 15 minutes I noted that the net weight went down about .08 g. Doesn't sound like a lot but I only squished a couple of grams and pretty much any amount of loss is significant. I can only assume that coming off of the hot plates and after being collected it was still off gassing a bit...maybe? I weighed it a few times and it kept going down (and I have a very good three decimal place precision electronic scale...nice one and its calibrated).
Yup it is possible that these are your most volatile components boiling into the air for a moment after you first took the rosin out of the press. .08g is definitely a good sized dab, it just goes to show how important it is to store your material properly if you don't intend to dab it right away!

However, we can't rule out that .08g is well within the margin for error depending on the scales used for this purpose (I've also noticed that many such products do not perform within the margins specified by the manufacturer, some of this is left to chance unless you buy lab scales, which are very expensive). So it may not be a loss of product necessarily.

I'm very happy. At 220 F, the rosin was just a little bit more brittle but easily collectable and didn't go flying off everywhere. But still perhaps a bit hot and I plan to repro this squish but with 210 F for measured temp.
Good thinking man, once you're getting yields that you're happy with, the next step is as you intend to do: find the lowest temp that gets the goods out to your satisfaction!

I collected it on Slick Sheet (collected, not pressed.
Not a bad option for collecting the material at all. I have found that all of the Oil Slick sheet/wrap/paper have their uses, I love using the slick sheet to gently press powdery/crystalline full melt into a more manageable consistency with a warm flat tool, it is also great for collecting and slabbing up rosin :biggrin:

@Shredder
Wasn't talking about ethanol man, which can be quite safely used with the right precautions. Rick Simpson recommended home use of solvents like Naptha, that's what I take issue with about RSO.

Rosin tek can be used on flower that has been run into bubble hash too - with a better tasting/smelling final product!

BTW, it seems that you're using the term 'RSO' as a generic term for alcohol extraction - that is not how I understand the term. How long do you leave your solvent in contact with your flower for, if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to get an idea of the actual process you're talking about. :peace:

Man I work from 50-80+ hours a week in a field that demands higher cognitive functioning. I'm not looking to eat a substantial part of a gram of resin and sleep/sweat all day :dog:

I do always make edibles with QWISO when I do make edibles like you. I have long touted the benefits of cooking with extracts instead of actual plant material. It is definitely the best way to cook cannabis into food without changing the taste/consistency of said food much :biggrin: I never cook with resin from unvaped/unsquished flowers however. The volatile fraction of the resin is destroyed during the cooking process, in other words, resin is wasted. Cooking is only done with reclaim and AVB extracts in my situation.

Hmmm, not sure what you mean about using butane for rosin here, but we're agreed on this one. Butane should only be used for extraction in a professional industrial setting with strictly monitored/reviewed SOP and a properly regulated laboratory. Butane can make excellent extracts, it is true. However, anyone who practices open blasting in any context is potentially a danger to themselves and others. Even purpose built closed-loop extractors need to be used in an appropriate environment by appropriate skilled/trained workers.

Strictly speaking, ethanol is only really safer than ISO in the event that you don't sufficiently purge your solvent from the extract. The problems with iso come from residual iso remaining in the final product that you consume. A lot of people who make solvent extracts really don't understand what they're doing in the purge, and that is why this is a real risk for many. I've seen so much shit that is still runny with residual solvent over the years. :doh:

Quoted for truth! A still needs to be operated safely in a safe environment and certainly carries potential risks. Many of the stoners I know should never be allowed to operate a still (not talking about you here, of course @felvapes)! :dog:

That is the main reason, my friend. I am not comfortable watching the community do shit that might hurt them/others. If I see potentially unsafe practices being mentioned - I'm gonna say so at least :peace: Seen too many horror stories over the years.

Taking one cap for me is fine I can go about my day and achieve what is needed
I have a different tolerance to you obviously and medicate so yer - I am not sitting around sweating all day......... not sure of the connotations there in a vaping site...

Butane is not rated by me even in a lab
That has leftovers and is not something I want near my weed
At home it is definitely not a good idea as the gas is even more explosive than alcohols can be
If you have a lab there are soooo many better ways to process weed rosin for example....and others....so I do not like butane there either even with vacuums etc

I do think I am using RSO incorrectly as it may not be the rick simpson exactly......

i do an iso or ethanol (now I have a still) wash
2 - 3 washes mixing for around 20 odd minutes each time straining in between

I have been around weed since I was a kid (am not a young man these days either) and watched many processes and am learning the names people these days use for different things
I used RSO as I know it is an alcohol based wash

Using a still will not blow up if you are not ignorant and watch what you are doing- I am not sure that hillbilly alcoholics should be any more suited to using stills then stoners yet forums and knowledge is shared and people do it

Using a still also prevents the gas in the air for 90% of process so prevents explosions from sparks

You can also buy 4-5 L air stills now that are electric and completely contained and pretty idiot proof that run on your kitchen bench
As with weed the alcohol home brew tech has changed too

Only need to have burn off in open air in final part for short time now

I have also in the past seen the runny oil that you speak of and can tell it has not been boiled off and decarbed properly....both dangerous and less potent

If you know what you are doing though it is easy to do properly

I get the idea of not recommending dangerous thing to people although I was not doing so as much as sharing experience of what works well and most effective - .1 ml would maybe do you if you have a light tolerance......Still best way to check dosage and spread material out over your needs....actually more exact than edibles often are due to baking being its own science...
You could take one cap in the morning and be set to work all day happy yet functioning fully
Ppl also mix with coconut oil and then cap them if they have low tolerances

I also wasn't actually trying to give a tute here on rso just say it is a good way to get most out of material and check doses exactly

I think if you can find other concentrates at such ease that you can use them in edibles you are in a better spot than me atm....
The other reason alcohol washed oil whatever name - hash oil we always called it - is good is that it can be made from leaf or pucks or avb - I do not use avb for butter either as it does not taste as good, it goes in my oil washes

I use leaf or trim or shake or pucks or sometimes bud....or the wet left over material from bubble hash

@Baron23 nice squish results :)
I have been playing with my new slug and getting a few different results, but it seems to be going okay atm.....playing with my hair straightener and vice too at same time
I have no pics I am sorry as I dabbed all the goodies immediately in my quartzbanger and am currently sitting nicely :)

Still saving for a dabpress.....

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back