Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape SHOW US YOUR BALLS - Ball vapes - user experience and comparisons

Was wondering if there was any discernable difference between an opal and a ruby
Rubies seem the standard but I think @felvapes has a couple of hundred SiC balls on order to try. Price seems about the same and I was going to weigh similar-sized SiC and ruby balls to see which is heavier for said size but have not got around to it...Google could probably tell you more quickly if you need to know.

No haven't tried
I have the smaller Chiroma they sell
This looks like their version of the Taroma xl
I would say this would be a great way to test if the xl heads are worth it compared to the normal without spending the $$ qshop wants
The Chiroma is the best value for money baller atm even if it could use some design changes
Favorite terp pearls to use in your ball vape?
Is there enough of a difference to buy different pearls?
Rubies v sapphires v sic
Favorite temp to vape flower with a ball vape?
Ruby seems to be the common go to
Some use cz
People debate the materials often, ruby seems to be the best for flavour/performance mix at the best cost according to those that say they have done the science research
The next material is said to be diamonds and things which is out of my wallets reach lol
@LesPlenty showed me a dnail link for some expensive balls

I do have some sic balls
I haven't used them in a head on their own
But I have maybe 2 thirds ruby and a third sic in two heads (I think I have about 75 sic in each head)
I think the performance is minimally better
I think all sic would perform slightly better, but I like the flavour of ruby and it performs very well
I like either all ruby in my heads or majority ruby and some sic

performance may jump a little
I have never looked at my baller and thought...that needs more performance, I might get some 2.5mm SiC to try, 250 x 2.5mm should do!

I have never looked at my baller and thought...that needs more performance, I might get some 2.5mm SiC to try, 250 x 2.5mm should do!
I have 3.5 and 4 mm
Mostly 3.5 in the heads (for sic, ruby are all 3mm)
But yeah exactly what said about needing more performance is why I have stuck with Ruby for flavour
I don't mind having a few sic at the bottom of the Chiroma where there is balls and no coil, as my mind thinks they may hold that heat and be better in that situation
Could be made up lol
I do the same with the glass diy one
Most are down where the space is below the coil - and then a couple scattered through the rubys that make up the majority of the head
Ruby's taste yum for the price range and perform well too...

I have 3.5 and 4 mm
Mostly 3.5 in the heads (for sic, ruby are all 3mm)
But yeah exactly what said about needing more performance is why I have stuck with Ruby for flavour
I don't mind having a few sic at the bottom of the Chiroma where there is balls and no coil, as my mind thinks they may hold that heat and be better in that situation
Could be made up lol
I do the same with the glass diy one
Most are down where the space is below the coil - and then a couple scattered through the rubys that make up the majority of the head
Ruby's taste yum for the price range and perform well too...

Most of what I have read recommend the rubies
Some of the dishes and cups go into the $150-$250 range
Did not know diamonds were on the table
If the performance is not noticeably better then Ill stick with my sic dish at $25

These ball vapes should be moved ahead of the volcano on the medical list
Much easier to use and the cost of the pre made bags for the volcano make it more economical

Lets talk about the obvious
Very good micro doses
I cannot emphasize the benefits of micro dosing through the day for pain management
The B2 delivers powerful micro doses of flower which are better tolerated than concentrates when you have work to do
This is my opinion and some folks need the jolt for pain blocking that a concentrate can provide

I've been following this discussion without commenting, but I'm going to throwing my 2 cent in the ring. Feel free to ignore me by don't hate kk.

TL;DR what performance goal do you want to accomplish?

There can be no meaningful discussion without clearing defining what constitutes "better performance" or in other words what specific property or properties would you wish to improve. Does a Bugatti have better performance than a cube van, clearly it depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Better flavor is likely meaningless since it is entirely subjective. Your better flavor may not be my better flavor. Some claim the ability to taste Ti, I can not. My BO is completely flavor transparent (add no signature taste from the materials used). Rubies have no flavor, glass has no flavor. There are devices that are glass and ruby, they are completely transparent. It's hard to best that.

Whether we like it or not this an engineering problem, picking the best set of compromises for the task at hand. Unfortunately that's the way the physical world works, increasing suitability (performance) in one area always means accepting reduced suitability in another.

Ruby is extremely well suited to its task in a ball vape, we are lucky to have such a good choice. It's thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity are very high. It' is not subject to thermal shock or any thermal degradation. It non toxic and affordable.

Can it be bested by another material? Possibly, but bested how and what cost in other areas. If one is obsessed with squeezing the last 1/4 percent or enjoys throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks have at it, no worries.

If there is a defined goal there might be a compromise that better suits that coal. I think the material properties may be of interest are thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity (these can be looked up), and air temperature and velocity (these can be tested with your existing device by varying your draw speed and PID setting)

It' is not subject to thermal shock
I wish you had told my cracked 19mm ruby insert it does not suffer from thermal shock, I even managed to thermal shock break a DNail SiC Halo.:twocents:
Every seller of rubies used for vaping warns of possible thermal shock that I can remember.

I wish you had told my cracked 19mm ruby insert it does not suffer from thermal shock, I even managed to thermal shock break a DNail SiC Halo.:twocents:
Every seller of rubies used for vaping warns of possible thermal shock that I can remember.
I know the agate shit balls cracked like popcorn in the Chiroma first heat up before swapping for ruby

I know ruby tastes better than plain quartz balls too and seems to perform slightly better

If we were all rich I'd love a fully ruby baller head
It wouldn't even need balls necessarily
Could probably just drill holes through a solid head

Well of course all materials have failure points. Sellers are covering their ass. We are talking about ball vapes and in that environment quality rubes do not suffer from thermal shock. We are using manufactured ruby so there are undoubtedly dirt cheap ruby that have internal flaws and/or impurities that lead to failure.

Regardless if improve thermal shock resistance is something you need to improve that is at least something to work with. Is that what you really want? How many rubies have cracked in your ball vapes?

I know the agate shit balls cracked like popcorn in the Chiroma first heat up before swapping for ruby

I know ruby tastes better than plain quartz balls too and seems to perform slightly better

If we were all rich I'd love a fully ruby baller head
It wouldn't even need balls necessarily
Could probably just drill holes through a solid head

If money was no object I suspect a 24 karat (pure) gold housing with cut diamond balls would be endgame assuming it didn't have a design flaw limiting it true potential.

Thermal conductivity of Quartz is 3 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 741 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Ruby is 40 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 750 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of SIC 120 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 510 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Aluminium is 237 W/ (m·K) Heat Capacity 0.9 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Gold is 320 W/ (m·K) Heat Capacity 0.128 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Diamond is 1000 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 1000 J/g K

Compared to ruby quartz can store almost the same amount of heat as ruby but it cannot dump it as fast. Compared to ruby SIC can absorb and release heat much quicker but can't store as much.

That makes me think that a "head" optimized for SIC is may need a larger volume larger and a head optimized for ruby may need a longer air path.

I recommend stuffing the head with diamonds, it's an investment. :naughty2:

Well of course all materials have failure points. Sellers are covering their ass. We are talking about ball vapes and in that environment quality rubes do not suffer from thermal shock. We are using manufactured ruby so there are undoubtedly dirt cheap ruby that have internal flaws and/or impurities that lead to failure.

Regardless if improve thermal shock resistance is something you need to improve that is at least something to work with. Is that what you really want? How many rubies have cracked in your ball vapes?

If money was no object I suspect a 24 karat (pure) gold housing with cut diamond balls would be endgame assuming it didn't have a design flaw limiting it true potential.

Thermal conductivity of Quartz is 3 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 741 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Ruby is 40 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 750 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of SIC 120 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 510 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Aluminium is 237 W/ (m·K) Heat Capacity 0.9 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Gold is 320 W/ (m·K) Heat Capacity 0.128 J/g K
Thermal conductivity of Diamond is 1000 W/ (m·K). Heat Capacity 1000 J/g K

Compared to ruby quartz can store almost the same amount of heat as ruby but it cannot dump it as fast. Compared to ruby SIC can absorb and release heat much quicker but can't store as much.

That makes me think that a "head" optimized for SIC is may need a larger volume larger and a head optimized for ruby may need a longer air path.

I recommend stuffing the head with diamonds, it's an investment. :naughty2:
Once vaping gets more popular with rich people and influencers this type of thing is going to happen

If money was no object I suspect a 24 karat (pure) gold
Not gold, still a metal so no good, a Z8 that is available now would be cleaner, only 14mm though,
1671024725986.jpeg

Compared to ruby SIC can absorb and release heat much quicker but can't store as much.
OK, I do need some SiC balls to try then, I have not popped any ruby pearls but I did have a SiC pearl pop once, if it is related to glas, I can usually find a way to break it!

Not gold, still a metal so no good, a Z8 that is available now would be cleaner, only 14mm though,
View attachment 42905

OK, I do need some SiC balls to try then, I have not popped any ruby pearls but I did have a SiC pearl pop once, if it is related to glas, I can usually find a way to break it!
Z8 has had some okay feedback from what I've seen
Not cheap
Meant to be really effective in the smaller head and load size

What temps and what conditions were present when you popped your pearls?
Sorry for the wording but I had to do a wake and bake
I do a 940 burn off run when I've cleaned and assembled new heads
Or sometimes if I have done double deckers I'll do a burn off run the same

Quartz, Ruby and sic have never had an issue with this
The agate did, I believe Les burst his nuts too with the agate, not sure what temp it happened to him though

Not gold, still a metal so no good
Huh? Do you have a logical reason for saying that, I'd be interesting it hearing it. Gold is one of the most inert elements there is. Non reactive materials are very safe and of course "tasteless". Cost and possibly ductility are the only downsides apparent to me.

Z8 has had some okay feedback from what I've seen
Not cheap
Meant to be really effective in the smaller head and load size
I'd say the feedback well beyond OK, it's glowing.
Inverted knows what he's doing, I expect it is a pretty special product.
I'm not suggesting it's overpriced but, sadly the cost compromise is to great for me.

Huh? Do you have a logical reason for saying that, I'd be interesting it hearing it. Gold is one of the most inert elements there is. Non reactive materials are very safe and of course "tasteless". Cost and possibly ductility are the only downsides apparent to me.

I'd say the feedback well beyond OK, it's glowing.
Inverted knows what he's doing, I expect it is a pretty special product.
I'm not suggesting it's overpriced but, sadly the cost compromise is to great for me.
Okay wasn't meant to downplay it
It was all positive from what I've seen too
The price has also got me looking rather than buying atm though

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back