Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

AHA - Ask Herbivore Anything

Peace hb!

Question about a cleaning technique for my Davinci IQ. I have a crap of a time getting the oven clean with just alcohol wipes and a poker. Chimney brush useless at some point as well.

I heard that some folks tear off a piece of "magic eraser" and soak it in iso/alcohol.

Thoughts? Safety?

Thanks bud.

:thumbsup:

Peace everyone!

I've used the magic eraser on my glass oven with my Davinci. It isn't the IQ. It worked fine. I turned the unit up side down so nothing would flake into the controls under the oven. I used water to wet the magic eraser piece. I used a dab tool to scrub. It's a small area but did a good job of cleaning. I wiped the surface all down with alcohol then a wet q-tip.

And this why (most of) the rest of us can do nothing but drool when we see pics of your extracts! :biggrin: If I had the quality of extracts that you have I am sure I would vape flower less and dab more.

When using the hopper during the day I have been sticking to 3.5. When using at night I had been using it at 5. Based on your recommendation, I have dialled it down to 4 for night time and I am happy to say it has been a success. Less coughing, possibly more clear effects(might be placebo), and no negative impact on sleep (which was my biggest concern). It is helpful that I have a couple of very good "sleepy time" phenos in my possession. Thanks for the tip, very helpful! :cheers:

Oh, you can rest assured that I'll be back. :nod: I love learning the science behind cannabis and vaping. Wrong information is far too common on the internet and with cannabis. Thanks for doing your part to counter that!
Oh man, it made my day to see that you've had such success dialling back the temp on your hopper a little. Less coughing is more IMHO :dog:

Coincidentally, those are actually the same temps you're using now as what I did back when I vaped flower and had a hopper :biggrin:

Peace hb!

Question about a cleaning technique for my Davinci IQ. I have a crap of a time getting the oven clean with just alcohol wipes and a poker. Chimney brush useless at some point as well.

I heard that some folks tear off a piece of "magic eraser" and soak it in iso/alcohol.

Thoughts? Safety?

Thanks bud.

:thumbsup:

Peace everyone!
Greetings my friend! I hope you are well :peace:

I have not actually seen inside the bowl of an IQ, could you by chance provide pictures of the respective section/s? I understand that the bowl is made entirely of zirconia in the IQ, am I right?

I would never use magic eraser soaked in anything but water. I wouldn't mix it with any solvents for fear of it flaking up and leaving residue in my vape bowl. I think we should consider other ways of cleaning first. I never have to resort to abrasives like that when cleaning my own equipment and I'd be surprised if we need to resort to that here. I can get a better idea seeing the bowl though :biggrin:

I've used the magic eraser on my glass oven with my Davinci. It isn't the IQ. It worked fine. I turned the unit up side down so nothing would flake into the controls under the oven. I used water to wet the magic eraser piece. I used a dab tool to scrub. It's a small area but did a good job of cleaning. I wiped the surface all down with alcohol then a wet q-tip.
Magic Eraser is wonderful on glass surfaces as you say. I would like to know a little more about the IQ bowl before recommending it myself, just in case :twocents:

A number of people have has some success in cleaning these type oven walls with q-tip tech rather like we do with our bangers.

Specifically, warm it up to 200 F or so, turn upside down (so nothing leaks into the vapes guts), and take a q-tip just damp (not wet) with waterm, or seltzer (soda water without salt, yeah), or ISO and wipe out the inside of the oven.

When I was very young, we used to use soda water on a hot grill to clean it up. Works great.

May well be worth a try.

A number of people have has some success in cleaning these type oven walls with q-tip tech rather like we do with our bangers.

Specifically, warm it up to 200 F or so, turn upside down (so nothing leaks into the vapes guts), and take a q-tip just damp (not wet) with waterm, or seltzer (soda water without salt, yeah), or ISO and wipe out the inside of the oven.

When I was very young, we used to use soda water on a hot grill to clean it up. Works great.

May well be worth a try.
Oh man seltzer may actually be quite successful for this purpose. One thing we should consider is that some of the residue that we get on our vape surfaces does not dissolve readily in iso. I advise against abrasives like magic eraser, to avoid potential damage to the ceramic surfaces (not that zirconia isn't tough!).

I think that qtipping a warm bowl (slowly bring temps up to the boiling point of water, generally IME there is no need to go hotter with water to clean stubborn carbon residues) with seltzer could be very effective. Upside down obviously, since you do not want to have water dripping into your heater for your next session :hmm:

IMO, it couldn't hurt to heat up the seltzer before you dip the qtip in, this will reduce the thermal shock of the seltzer contacting the hot zirconia.

Hey there @herbivore21, I hope your monday's going well.

I have a 2x18650 mod box coming, and was wondering if you have any thoughts about how divine tribe's Sionara compares with their v3 atomizer. Sometimes they have the saionara in copper, which would match my mod. There seem to be quite a few knockoffs of both, for example the saionara is atmos' greedy and there's plenty of copies of their DT 2.5 & 2.7 around. From what I can tell the Saionara might be easier to load, especially for larger hits, while the DT would offer better flavor? There's definitely a big difference in the atomizers, three different types of coils compared to the ceramic donuts.

:sherlock::thinker:

I have a 2x18650 mod box coming, and was wondering if you have any thoughts about how divine tribe's Sionara compares with their v3 atomizer. Sometimes they have the saionara in copper, which would match my mod. There seem to be quite a few knockoffs of both, for example the saionara is atmos' greedy and there's plenty of copies of their DT 2.5 & 2.7 around. From what I can tell the Saionara might be easier to load, especially for larger hits, while the DT would offer better flavor? There's definitely a big difference in the atomizers, three different types of coils compared to the ceramic donuts.

:sherlock::thinker:
@herbivore21 You said to get a SIC?
My wife hide my torches?
She likes my plug-ins only?
Right now I'm just learn?

@herbivore21 You said to get a SIC?
My wife hide my torches?
She likes my plug-ins only?
In your case, definitely get a SiC halo with an e-nail controller and electric heater. SiC halo can be used with torches, but you will enjoy it more with electronic heat, and it sure sounds like your wife will prefer the e-nail too, no torches to hide :biggrin:

Very well, thank you my friend!

I have had a look at these and can offer general thoughts on donuts vs coil carts.

IME, donuts are going to offer tastier rips than coil based designs. With that being said, donuts have the problem of the donut being the part that gets hot, the cup less so. This means that hits are wispy at first, as the heat gets up to your set temp, you'll get more clouds, and the taste will be good at first. It will deteriorate towards the end though - it will not be tasty from start to finish like a dab on a ceramic nail which is already at temp. I do find that you have to load smaller amounts in pens than you can dab, the more you load, the worse the taste later in the load.

Coil based pens will let you load more, get meaningful clouds quickly and so can be used more quickly. The downside is that they do taste worse, and should be replaced over time after the metal is heat cycled too frequently and polymerization byproducts get stuck under your coil.

I don't really use pens these days, IME, none of them meet my needs. I don't wanna huff away at a single small dab for 5-20 mins. I want something that will dose quickly (preferably with full melt - none of the above pens should be used with full melt btw), be put away and let me get on with my business. I have not actually found anything that does the job sufficiently for portable concentrates yet tbh.

The best atm is the vapcap. I do feel that some temp control is required though. I am probably going to bite the bullet and try an FF2, since that actually seems to be the vape that will get epic flavor results with absolutely any kind of concentrate that I can throw at it (like the vapcap) but will give temp control too! Damned expensive for concentrate only use, but then I guess I went to the trouble of using full melt :rofl:

The fundamental problem with most portable dab pens is that they are heating up to temp while the load is on the hot surface. That seems to encourage overcooking of portions of the load before they fully vaporize and so taste never measures up to a nail after the first initial wispy hits. The majority of the vapor is not so enjoyable.

It's the same price as a sale package without the mod or mouthpiece, and with different coils. Plus it's one of the only ways right now to try the donut coil in the saionara as they're otherwise oos on that atomizer. I can compare it to the v3 donuts, plus the other coil saionara atomizers seem to be right on the cutting edge so they'll be fun to try. Also vic at hvt seems pretty cool to deal with, he's like the r&d for other makers as he freely lets them "knock off" his previous versions.

:science:

Last edited:
The best atm is the vapcap. I do feel that some temp control is required though. I am probably going to bite the bullet and try an FF2, since that actually seems to be the vape that will get epic flavor results
It's interesting that you're back to debating which vaping style is best for you, albeit for your concentrate needs, between two portable herbal conduction and convection devices. Just considering this as I get used to my new dabvices.

Also updating to say that this eleaf/istick pico with the divine tribe v3 whoa nellie.
So many settings, so much power and this is the baby system!

:facepalm2:

Last edited:
It's interesting that you're back to debating which vaping style is best for you, albeit for your concentrate needs, between two portable herbal conduction and convection devices. Just considering this as I get used to my new dabvices.

Also updating to say that this eleaf/istick pico with the divine tribe v3 whoa nellie.
So many settings, so much power and this is the baby system!

:facepalm2:
None of these dab pens work well with full melt. I only dab full melt generally, as it is the absolute finest of concentrates that can be had IME. IME if you want to use full melt with a portable, it's gonna be one that was designed for herb, not just concentrates.

Okay full melt that's just made of cold-processed trichrome heads right? Do you get full-spectrum effects from that? It seems to me that may be more of a head high, but keif usually gets me to sleep in a pinch wtf do I know.

I'm immersed in concentrates now. Hard to find pure indicas still, and after this most recent development I was a bit put off. I got back from a long day/drive last night with a couple more g's of the best I could find plus a pen and some more tasty stuff I'm putting aside for now. The pen was supposed to be the most potent. It has oil in a disposable atomizer; I heated it up a bit to dissolve the 'skin' as instructed and proceeded to try for a dose. The slim battery I paid an extra $10 for to avoid issues has three heat settings, and after trying medium a few times without success I put it on high, and holy moly. I put it on low after that but I was wondering if I did any damage on high because this thing taste like butane/chemicals burnt? Now I can see that it needs a higher setting just to get going but medium seems to suffice.

Next I had the DC V3 atomizer pretty gunked up, so I unscrewed it and put on the new saionara atomizer. It came with a 'black ceramic kanthal coil' installed in it so that's what I tried first. Keep in mind that I barely have a clue about all the mod settings but am pretty sure I'm within functional parameters. I burned it off, it went red hot while doing so then gave me a monster hit but it tasted at least as bad as the dispose-a-pen. This was with some shatter that I had decent results with before on my enail, so today I deep cleaned my sic dish because I had been neglecting that too, and the same shatter tasted fine. That's a relief because as I said I have two grams of it. So I need to do some V3 maintence and I can't wait to try any other coil in the saionara; I still have the round ceramic dish like the V3 uses and the dual quartz rods.

There's also the miracle coils, I think I will grab a 5-pack of those since I didn't get any. Unless that ceramic kanthal one needs some kind of special seasoning procedure I don't ever want to use it again! From further research I probably burnt the load, looking at the reviews it seems very well appreciated so I need to check my mod. I'll try and sip further from that pen atomizer, but based on the difference I'm tasting with the shatter I may bust it open with a hammer so I can dab what's inside properly! I may try another pen from a different lab I have in mind in the future, but not from these guys. Sigh. I can see why you have shunned this game but I think there may be some good in it somewhere, so I will keep at it.

blackkanthal.jpg
miracle5pack.jpg

Here's the two coils I'm referring to, kanthal top and miracle (ver. b over a) bottom.
( https://humboldtvapetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/blackkanthal.jpg,
https://humboldtvapetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/miracle5pack.jpg )

Last edited:
With regard to your disposable cartridge, in my limited experience with these things...if you don't buy very high end ones (glass, SS, and many are refillable) that do NOT have a cotton or other fiber wick, they taste like crap. This is pretty much all of the cheaper, plastic body, disposables. Tell the truth, a very high end cart I bought in WA hit well, hit hard, but while the taste was acceptable it certainly wasn't great. It was this:

https://nectar-craft.myshopify.com/

With regard to pens...sigh...so, I have Linx Zero that I sometimes use to supplement a flower session for some extra strength. Unless I run it at a very cool temp (sipping very whispy vapor), after a while the taste isn't great. I have Kandy Pen with exposed coils and don't look for flavor from them at all. Recently, Source gave me some kit to try out (and write a review of) and I rather like the Terra 2 atomizers that have a sealed ceramic bucket where the sides get hot also. But I have found that if I don't want it to taste like ass after a while, I have to treat it like a banger and q-tip it out after a session....that is, keep it very clean. All in all, pens are still....for me....require me to accept a lot of compromises compared to a true enail. They offer convenience, but not the top drawer experience as far as I can tell.

Now, taste....personally its not my top criteria...at ALL. I'm looking for effects with an acceptable taste so the experience is pleasant. But if all MJ vapor tasted like Cod Liver Oil I would still medicate with it. Its sort of like Scotch whiskey to me. People go on and on about how great some high end single malt or another tastes. But it don't taste like ice cream and I doubt if very many enthusiasts would drink the stuff if it had no alcohol (and hence no effect). So, with Scotch and MJ, I want the effects and the better it tastes the more palatable the experience. I like the taste of good MJ. I like the taste of good scotch. I wouldn't consume either without the active ingredients being present for the effect.

Okay full melt that's just made of cold-processed trichrome heads right? Do you get full-spectrum effects from that? It seems to me that may be more of a head high, but keif usually gets me to sleep in a pinch wtf do I know.

I'm immersed in concentrates now. Hard to find pure indicas still, and after this most recent development I was a bit put off. I got back from a long day/drive last night with a couple more g's of the best I could find plus a pen and some more tasty stuff I'm putting aside for now. The pen was supposed to be the most potent. It has oil in a disposable atomizer; I heated it up a bit to dissolve the 'skin' as instructed and proceeded to try for a dose. The slim battery I paid an extra $10 for to avoid issues has three heat settings, and after trying medium a few times without success I put it on high, and holy moly. I put it on low after that but I was wondering if I did any damage on high because this thing taste like butane/chemicals burnt? Now I can see that it needs a higher setting just to get going but medium seems to suffice.

Next I had the DC V3 atomizer pretty gunked up, so I unscrewed it and put on the new saionara atomizer. It came with a 'black ceramic kanthal coil' installed in it so that's what I tried first. Keep in mind that I barely have a clue about all the mod settings but am pretty sure I'm within functional parameters. I burned it off, it went red hot while doing so then gave me a monster hit but it tasted at least as bad as the dispose-a-pen. This was with some shatter that I had decent results with before on my enail, so today I deep cleaned my sic dish because I had been neglecting that too, and the same shatter tasted fine. That's a relief because as I said I have two grams of it. So I need to do some V3 maintence and I can't wait to try any other coil in the saionara; I still have the round ceramic dish like the V3 uses and the dual quartz rods.

There's also the miracle coils, I think I will grab a 5-pack of those since I didn't get any. Unless that ceramic kanthal one needs some kind of special seasoning procedure I don't ever want to use it again! From further research I probably burnt the load, looking at the reviews it seems very well appreciated so I need to check my mod. I'll try and sip further from that pen atomizer, but based on the difference I'm tasting with the shatter I may bust it open with a hammer so I can dab what's inside properly! I may try another pen from a different lab I have in mind in the future, but not from these guys. Sigh. I can see why you have shunned this game but I think there may be some good in it somewhere, so I will keep at it.

blackkanthal.jpg
miracle5pack.jpg

Here's the two coils I'm referring to, kanthal top and miracle (ver. b over a) bottom.
( https://humboldtvapetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/blackkanthal.jpg,
https://humboldtvapetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/miracle5pack.jpg )

I joke a lot however it is a cover up my pain.
You know I love CANNABIS colas.
Also I like CONCENTRATES.

I used pens at first however MODS I like alot.
RBT's TANK'S with my own COIL's installed.
100 watts - 200 watts = MODS
22mm - 30mm TANKS
TIGER COILS or CLAPTON + fitted with JAPANESE ORGANIC COTTON (wicks)

My SOLUTION:
33% KEIF + EJUICE (0 NICOTINE)
I brush the coils with ROISON
38 watts +/-

I have VAS for a FLOWER POT set-up FLOWERS/WAX + SIC NAIL (@herbivore21 recommends)

What I do works for SCA for other's I don't know?

I'm not a DOCTOR but I did stay at a HOLIDAY INN once?

With regard to your disposable cartridge, in my limited experience with these things...if you don't buy very high end ones (glass, SS, and many are refillable) that do NOT have a cotton or other fiber wick, they taste like crap. This is pretty much all of the cheaper, plastic body, disposables. Tell the truth, a very high end cart I bought in WA hit well, hit hard, but while the taste was acceptable it certainly wasn't great. It was this:

https://nectar-craft.myshopify.com/
That nectar craft gear looks a lot like my setup; glass, fiber wick etc. The battery looks exactly the same, with a different logo and charging cable. It's called an sap vape pen cartridge, it's from from ak frost, with a different cultivator and manufacturer. It's tasting better now that I seem to have worked through whatever I singed but still not great.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back