Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Bubble Hash

Ahh I see. That would be counter productive, makes sense.

So maybe I should put a little bit of cold water with some ice cubes to let it presoak before adding the majority of ice cubes?

Super Super gentle agitations (maybe a swirl or two. Then a bunch of shaking or gentle dropping of the bucket.) for less than a minute.
That's right man, let it soak in cold water with some ice cubes. Pour the water in gently, use as little ice as possible to get the water very cold. Let it sit for 2-5 mins. Then start with your first very short agitation.

Do not shake or drop the bucket at all, that is incredibly violent agitation and not helpful for our purposes. Stirred, not shaken is the order of the day. It's the movement of the plant material in the water that makes the trichome stalks flick forwards and backwards quickly enough to release the trichome without breaking plant material that you're aiming for.

I've just enjoyed some results of my latest trim run a 5 star bubble with wonderful taste, but less melt than what came off the flower (ie: most of the 6 star full melt I have shared here and elsewhere). I love little more than the full bodied effect of a big dab of hash! :D

We could all stand to get off our collective asses and process that trim and shake and leaf that we have laying about!

By the way, store all trim etc with 62% humidity packs in a cool, dark place just like your flowers. You do not want your trim runs to give you hash that smells like old hay! lol

Hmm I guess I'll do the 200+150 two separate runs. Figure I could squeeze most of the fire out.

Edit: for some reason I'm getting really bad yields on this as of now.

The 2md and 3rd washes did not produce any 73 or 25. Very frothy 160 and 2nd run was very scanty.

Even on this 150g, super strange not to get any 1st run 73 or 25...i don't know, it's also really shakey if that makes a difference. But you were saying you were getting 5-6 star from your trim (which I throw away, only assuming sugar leaf is better than trim.... But feeling like your trim is primo flower here haha.)

Last edited:
Thanks again - we're learning lots :) I wound up with another couple of lbs of trim that may have a PM issue, so gonna modify routine a bit. Still use the washing machine, but going to perform multiple runs and drop all runs into a larger holding tank.
I kinda like some of the pointers in this video, especially cleaning using the .25 bag as a filter (starts around 1.00 mark).

And now that we're back into the warm season I'll be using some bubblewrap around the washing machine to help keep the cold in.

Herb, first of all thank your very much for this tutorial! :thumbsup:

Let's talk about terms. What do you mean with trim? My trim is just the cutted parts of manicured flowers. Or do we speak about the sun leafes too?

Herb, what's your advice for relation of amounts of material - water - ice?

My setup (how to upload pics here?)

- 80 l insulated ss thermoport with false bottom and motor driven stirrer (40 rpm)
- OG Bubble Bag 5 gallon 8 bags (220, 190, 160, 120, 90, 73, 45, 25µ)
- Bucket-on-bucket setup: 1 bucket with sealed hole in the bottom on a 2nd one with corresponding hole in it's lid

Material with ice and water into the thermoport - stirring

The Lauter/false bottom as pre-filter works awesome. It holds back nearly all material. Liquid is going through the lauter to the bottom. In the middle of the bottom is a countersunk (?) tube opening (hope you understand what I mean), and the tube is going under the bottom to the side where it ends with the tri clamp valve.

Thermoport vessel is standing on an table. In front of it there are two buckets standing on each other. Into the upper one I put the 5gal bubble bags on a distance plate to the bottom. In the bottom is a sealed hole where drain can rinse down into the 2nd bucket.

So I have just to open the valve of the insulaled ss bucket, drain is flowing into the first/upper bucket with the bb, water will be filtered and is flowing through the bottom hole.

Material above the lauter is working as a pre-filter itself. So I do some more washes to wash out the remaining precious out the plant material.

Description is a bit difficult without vizualation. Hope you do understand what I mean? Will make some pics of my next run to show you the whole setup.

(how to upload pics here?)
You can either upload pics directly from your computer using the 'Upload a File' tab next to your reply tab.

Or you can upload them to a picture hosting site such as Imgur and use the 'Share Link' followed by .jpg. Put that link into the dropdown from the toolbar (the one next to the smilie).

@Drsteez good question on amounts... In the machine I tried getting more than a lb of trim in, and that was kinda messy. I also tried a couple of runs without the 'work bag', but for trim I'm probably going to use it. The drain was plugged with loose trim, and this will help with that.

For large loads (more than a lb) I'm thinking about moving to larger containers, and something else...

The something else... would pressure and/or vacuum work for filtering? I've been looking at Buchner filters, which work under vac. Would something on a larger scale work? Going through, say, 4 or 5 different micron screens before dumping water into drain bucket? I kinda got the idea from gold panning, which uses things called 'classifiers', which are the pans they swirl in the movies - the bottom is lined with different sizes of screen, looking for the elusive gold flecks... In my mind a selection of mesh sized could be installed inline, sealed, and water/head slurry vacuumed through the screens. Somehow in my head it seems possibly doable... The screens will plug, but a relaxation of vac should drop them to the bottom...

Does this make any sense to anyone? I might havta draw this one up before it makes any sense to either try or not.... although 4" PVC could easily have 5 different layers of mesh across it, load up a 40 gallon drum with air pressure, and force the watermix through the screens, with water coming out the end. Not unlike a potato gun but without the violent 'whomp' of a minivan being crumpled by a spud, instead releasing water, and leaving the heads in their screen for extraction...

@herbivore21 do you think I can do 360g sugar trim in one go?

Or should I split it up 200 and 150?

Edit: just saw your reply!

Perfect timing because I'm about to try again.
Watch Frenchie Cannoli's tutorial video to learn how much trim you can fit in a 5 gallon machine. I don't frequently run trim and when I do, I don't bother weighing the starting material usually.

The 2md and 3rd washes did not produce any 73 or 25. Very frothy 160 and 2nd run was very scanty.

Even on this 150g, super strange not to get any 1st run 73 or 25...i don't know, it's also really shakey if that makes a difference. But you were saying you were getting 5-6 star from your trim (which I throw away, only assuming sugar leaf is better than trim.... But feeling like your trim is primo flower here haha.)
Hmmm, that says to me that you have not agitated enough yet. The 73 should be getting the most collected material in there. When I last used sugar leaf like you have, almost everything I collected was in the 73 bag. I have never seen flowers with predominately 160u sized resin glands, so it seems like you have the opposite problem with those first too washes, too gentle of an agitation. If I can recommend one thing for you, it would be getting a bubble machine. Inconsistent and confusing results will abound when manually agitating.

The trim that I've had 5 and 6 star from was definitely good quality, mature material, but yours looks quite similar from what I've seen. Of course, I haven't seen it under a microscope so I can't say how many heads are present and what kinds. If the material was harvested a little earlier than full maturity, then your heads will be more reluctant to come off the stalks/leaves.

Thanks again - we're learning lots :) I wound up with another couple of lbs of trim that may have a PM issue, so gonna modify routine a bit. Still use the washing machine, but going to perform multiple runs and drop all runs into a larger holding tank.
I kinda like some of the pointers in this video, especially cleaning using the .25 bag as a filter (starts around 1.00 mark).
I've seen that video in the past and aside from the bottomless bucket (these are incredibly useful for easier draining and pulling of bags, I place some of my bags in the bottomless bucket/shield to be able to lift them from the water quickly), I wouldn't do anything else mentioned there.

I would not be leaving uncollected hash in water while I collect multiple runs in there - I wanna get the hash out of the water quickly to avoid any loss of actives through the base of the trichome as the water warms up to atmospheric temp.

The more runs you mix and collect in one set of bags, the more your bags will be difficult to pull due to clogging/slow draining/weight. With my method, that siphoning would serve no purpose. I would get no benefit from that as pulling the bags takes me less time than that siphoning did. I believe he needs to siphon because he's mixing washes and collecting multiple spins at a time, clogging the bags much more than usual.

One important thing is that we need to have a pressurized water sprayer like you'd find at the hardware store. If your hash is spread all over your screens, then have a sprayer filled with purified water which you can use to spray your collections together on the centre of the screen for easy collection. It is also important to spray all collections through the screen to encourage any smaller heads to filter through the pores if they fit. This increases the separation between bags/screen sizes.

I'll be back to reply to subsequent posts as soon as I can guys :)

Lol I was pretty gentle and ebbs and flow the first agitation. But when second and especially the third I was going crazy with the agitation, trying to make vortex spins and super heavy agitation.

In any case I threw it all away.....in my planter.. :/

And I just picked some up and it felt sticky.... So I can only imagine all the trichomes I just threw away :/

Lol I was pretty gentle and ebbs and flow the first agitation. But when second and especially the third I was going crazy with the agitation, trying to make vortex spins and super heavy agitation.

In any case I threw it all away.....in my planter.. :/

And I just picked some up and it felt sticky.... So I can only imagine all the trichomes I just threw away :/
Oh man, I can sympathize with your position. If I were able to even quantify the amount of top quality flower that I disposed of after barely extracting bubble from it in my first attempt, you would cringe. The golden rule of learning to extract bubble is to never dispose of your washed material until you are absolutely sure that it is spent. Keep it in the freezer in the meantime so it doesn't get moldy etc ;)

To my other friends above, @Hogni and @Killick I have not forgotten about you and will respond when my workload permits, hopefully sooner than later. I hope you guys are all enjoying some wonderful dabs in the meantime :D

Thanks @momofthegoons !

Herb, don't worry I'm patient! ;-)
Regarding quality of water what is meant with purified water and why to use it? In the past I've ever used tap water. It's medium hard and has no added chlorine or such else (mean that this is an issue in the US?). It's even good enough for brewing. What should be there the advantage of r/o or aqua dest.?

@herbivore21 No rush on my account either! Last year was my learning year, and this year I think it's all gonna work just dandy.

The reason I'm pervaricating and identifying alternate methods is purely for speed, volume, and an inquisitive mind.

But, having said that, any suggestions on best way to wash 50 lbs of trim per month? It's not mine, but a buddy has some spare, and I just found out how much... If the method were to scale to, say, 200 lbs per month, I'm thinking a shipping container, top cut off, and use an outboard motor to agitate...

Herb, first of all thank your very much for this tutorial! :thumbsup:

Let's talk about terms. What do you mean with trim? My trim is just the cutted parts of manicured flowers. Or do we speak about the sun leafes too?

Herb, what's your advice for relation of amounts of material - water - ice?

My setup (how to upload pics here?)

- 80 l insulated ss thermoport with false bottom and motor driven stirrer (40 rpm)
- OG Bubble Bag 5 gallon 8 bags (220, 190, 160, 120, 90, 73, 45, 25µ)
- Bucket-on-bucket setup: 1 bucket with sealed hole in the bottom on a 2nd one with corresponding hole in it's lid

Material with ice and water into the thermoport - stirring

The Lauter/false bottom as pre-filter works awesome. It holds back nearly all material. Liquid is going through the lauter to the bottom. In the middle of the bottom is a countersunk (?) tube opening (hope you understand what I mean), and the tube is going under the bottom to the side where it ends with the tri clamp valve.

Thermoport vessel is standing on an table. In front of it there are two buckets standing on each other. Into the upper one I put the 5gal bubble bags on a distance plate to the bottom. In the bottom is a sealed hole where drain can rinse down into the 2nd bucket.

So I have just to open the valve of the insulaled ss bucket, drain is flowing into the first/upper bucket with the bb, water will be filtered and is flowing through the bottom hole.

Material above the lauter is working as a pre-filter itself. So I do some more washes to wash out the remaining precious out the plant material.

Description is a bit difficult without vizualation. Hope you do understand what I mean? Will make some pics of my next run to show you the whole setup.
I call the leaves that you find in manicured flowers 'sugar leaf' whereas those removed during post harvest manicuring would be called trim. The sugar leaves are proximal leaves near/inside the buds and so will have much more resin than the large sun leaves and other trim.

Typically I let the material take up 1/4-1/3 of the volume of my machine. maybe 1/10-1/8 of the volume with ice (ice below the material is crucial, as well as a thin layer across the top of your material) and then fill the rest of the volume with water. Be careful not to overfill with water so that your machine doesn't have any spillage.

Be sure that your water quantity is enough to fit in the bottom 2/3 of the volume of the vessel that the water drains into, or you're going to have major wastage of your hash as the water pushes your bags up, inverts the screen and causes your collections to spill over the sides.

The rest of your setup should be no problem in my view, pictures would certainly help so please do share if you can. I will say that you need to establish whether the motor is going to agitate too violently or not, as this entire processing setup lives and dies on that criterion alone. There's only one way to find out on that question ;)

@Drsteez good question on amounts... In the machine I tried getting more than a lb of trim in, and that was kinda messy. I also tried a couple of runs without the 'work bag', but for trim I'm probably going to use it. The drain was plugged with loose trim, and this will help with that.

For large loads (more than a lb) I'm thinking about moving to larger containers, and something else...

The something else... would pressure and/or vacuum work for filtering? I've been looking at Buchner filters, which work under vac. Would something on a larger scale work? Going through, say, 4 or 5 different micron screens before dumping water into drain bucket? I kinda got the idea from gold panning, which uses things called 'classifiers', which are the pans they swirl in the movies - the bottom is lined with different sizes of screen, looking for the elusive gold flecks... In my mind a selection of mesh sized could be installed inline, sealed, and water/head slurry vacuumed through the screens. Somehow in my head it seems possibly doable... The screens will plug, but a relaxation of vac should drop them to the bottom...

Does this make any sense to anyone? I might havta draw this one up before it makes any sense to either try or not.... although 4" PVC could easily have 5 different layers of mesh across it, load up a 40 gallon drum with air pressure, and force the watermix through the screens, with water coming out the end. Not unlike a potato gun but without the violent 'whomp' of a minivan being crumpled by a spud, instead releasing water, and leaving the heads in their screen for extraction...
What kind of machine are you using man, your drain should not let that sort of amount of trim get through! My drain has a screen with some 1-2mm (our imperial system really fail us when we start to talk about these kinds of measurements lol) slits that prevents most of my trim from getting through. The gentleness of my agitations ensures that the trim is not broken up further in the wash and so less of it is able to get through these slits. My bubblenow never has that problem if I don't use a work bag, very little contaminant is ever found in my catch bag.

The use of a work bag is going to fuck up your trim washes, it ruins the vortexing motion that we need from the washing machine to gently encourage the heads to come off of the stalks and instead traps them in a smaller space with little room to move. This reduced volume that the trim is able to occupy also increases the violence of the agitation, especially if you use as much ice as most people tend to. You basically create a large grinder inside the work bag, using ice cubes to gradually mill the leaves to oblivion.

In extra cold conditions, some of your trim may become encapsulated by ice which is going to limit the extent to which you can remove all of the resin glands.

You would need to get some custom filters and custom buchner compatible, vacuum safe collection vessels made man. I know that there are larger scale, more advanced buchner filters used in large scale manufacturing of various consumer products from food to pharma, but that is likely going to cost you more than hiring the best extract artists in your neighborhood to come and do the work for you!

The problem with traditional buchner filters is that they do not generally provide the larger pore sizes required for bubble processing (160/190/220u screens), additionally, they have very small filter screen surface area compared to even the smallest bubblebag screens and will clog incredibly quickly. Large loads of resin under vacuum may even be able to break some kinds of buchner filters in the event of a clog and too much build-up of pressure.

If you wanted to try something with a vacuum, I'd suggest an enormous amount of money and willingness to burn through it with trial and error. In my view, you'd be better off considering other large scale options that are proven to work. I know that Bubbleman/Reinhardt and Frenchie Cannoli are both either working on or already retailing large scale machines that would meet this purpose, but those are also going to be expensive.

Any vacuum would have to be applied after you have run the wash through the larger bubble bags mentioned above. Otherwise, I would be concerned that the vacuum would pull plant material into the screens with too much force and break them up more, contaminating your resin collections.

The reason I'm pervaricating and identifying alternate methods is purely for speed, volume, and an inquisitive mind.

But, having said that, any suggestions on best way to wash 50 lbs of trim per month? It's not mine, but a buddy has some spare, and I just found out how much... If the method were to scale to, say, 200 lbs per month, I'm thinking a shipping container, top cut off, and use an outboard motor to agitate...
Holy shit man. That is an insane quantity! You are not going to be able to buy or design a machine to process that without sinking some incredible amounts of money and time into it man.

My question is how much volunteer labor do you have available? In my mind, unless you can afford to buy larger scale all SS industrial bubble machines, you are going to be best off from a cost/safety standpoint getting a number of smaller units and processing multiple runs by multiple processors. Even 50lb would be a full time job for one person to process in a month with conventional home use machines. The conventional home-use machines must be impeccably maintained and over time replaced if you are to have sufficient SOP to be sure that your product is not going to eventually become contaminated by surfaces in the machines themselves, which are plastic and not easy/nor entirely possible to fully sterilize between uses.

Motor agitation is not necessarily going to work well, especially if the propeller/spinning part attached to the motor's armature is too small to create a large enough vortex for such a large vessel. A shipping container also brings to mind considerable materials safety concerns, that shit is not resistant to corrosion from water etc and would not be expected to be clean when you get your hands on one. To clean it would be an absolutely colossal undertaking. The shape of a shipping container does not facilitate the vortexing agitation and is likely to be counter-productive.

The problem with jerry-rigging a large scale processing setup in this situation is that clearly, this is going to produce extracts that are distributed to patients. The materials safety concerns that emerge in this kind of jerry-rigged design are not acceptable in a medical context (or even recreational really).

I do wonder whether your context will allow spending on sufficient equipment for such large scale processing or whether as above, smaller scale methods simply need to be applied repeatedly by multiple processors. I would have to quit my employment to be able to process 50lb a month :rofl:

Does anybody have experiences with the CO2/compressed air powered washing machines by WackyWillys?

Seems to be a lot of agitation - too much?

Does anybody know this Dr. Green Filter Machine?
Haven't seen this one myself or heard from anybody who has used one. I do wonder about whether those screens in the filter machine which replace bubblebags have enough surface area to collect the runs that I do. I could imagine some serious clogging when there are a lot of heads there.

The co2/compressed air washing machine is an interesting idea. I would not use co2, since I do not want to introduce solvents which may dissolve actives into a bubble run. Compressed air may work, but I'd imagine that it agitates a smaller area within the machine than the typical spinning motion. I'd also imagine that the compressed air may apply more force in agitation as you suggest. Still, to be fair I have never known anybody to use one yet - the proof is in the hashing ;)

I'm with you regarding CO2 but guess agitation can be tuned by controlled flow of compressed air and position of the air jet to create a vortex?

Clogging of the screens when using too much material seems to be a serious issue in my eyes too.

But both are interesting approaches.

I'm with you regarding CO2 but guess agitation can be tuned by controlled flow of compressed air and position of the air jet to create a vortex?

Clogging of the screens when using too much material seems to be a serious issue in my eyes too.

But both are interesting approaches.
Man I'm longing for somebody to release a reliable, tried and tested bubble machine that does away with bags and plastic parts. I think about it every time I clean my plastic machine :rofl: I don't think the wacky willy's products are the solution at this stage though.

That reminds me of something we need to discuss. Cleanliness.

I know I've mentioned that bags need to be rinsed with iso and then water after each use to ensure proper separation in each run. We need to be equally careful to clean our bubble machine and anything else that makes contact with our starting material or hash. Any wooden spoons etc for manual stirring should be checked frequently for rot or damage - you don't want pieces of wood or mold getting into your hash and screens.

The Wacky Machine looks promising. Frenchie Cannolli said it had too much agitation, although his machine in several thousands of dollars more expensive. Why would using compressed air be worse that using, say, butane? Asking for a friend...

As for the centrifuge/screen option, it might not plug at all... It's not at a right angle, like _l as an example. It's more like
_/ . Machine spins fast enough to propel water through micron screens, while letting the heads tumble upwards. In theory it should work like that...

Anyhoo, any thought on water curing prior to bubbling? Here's the quickie version...
https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-water-curing-cannabis-what-it-is-and-how-to-do-it-n1012

As for the centrifuge/screen option, it might not plug at all... It's not at a right angle, like _l as an example. It's more like
_/ . Machine spins fast enough to propel water through micron screens, while letting the heads tumble upwards. In theory it should work like that...
I follow what you are saying completely, to me, the collection machine could be a good product, it is just possible that it is counter-productive and I would not stump up to test it myself until I knew it worked well. I do not believe that this collection machine part is bunk as of yet. It may work.

The Wacky Machine looks promising. Frenchie Cannolli said it had too much agitation, although his machine in several thousands of dollars more expensive. Why would using compressed air be worse that using, say, butane? Asking for a friend...
I would agree, Frenchy's machine clearly achieves the more appropriate agitation from watching videos of both. The agitation of forced compressed air etc would be much, much more vicious than a large circular spinning plate at the bottom of the unit. I would never use that wacky willy's product until I have seen somebody else use that machine and get the same yields of the same quality full melt as I get currently. I don't see that day coming.

Butane would be a terrible idea, as it would make your liquid (formerly just water and ice) have more solvent action which would dissolve the glands and increase the chances of the agitation rupturing the resin that aren't directly hit by the butane jet being injected into the vessel (any plant material in the vessel that was directly hit by the butane jet would be utterly stripped of viable full melt, the contents of the resin heads would be dispersed into the water and over the surfaces of the plant material present, also the surfaces in the vessel). This would get the contents of your headies out of their glands and into your water, making mechanical separation of whole glands impossible.

Anyhoo, any thought on water curing prior to bubbling? Here's the quickie version...
https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-water-curing-cannabis-what-it-is-and-how-to-do-it-n1012
Definitely counter-productive to our cause. Water curing sacrifices terps. That is the opposite of what we want here. Remember, solvent action is determined by contact time, barometric and vapor pressures (the latter is a function of temp and RH). The length of a water cure is much longer than the contact time involved in a bubble run, which is why it is noted to effect the flavor and aroma of the plant material in that article you shared.

Last edited:
I got some fresh sugar trim super fresh in the freezer, about 150g.

I definitely need to get more bags before I start the extraction. Maybe even use the 190u as the work mixing bag.

Most definitely thinking about 120u. Possibly even the 90 aswell.

Mainly I think,

(maybe 90)

Is perfect. I mean, shoot, throw in the 25because I have it.

Looking forward to more class sessions.

At the moment, off topic, looking to get a custom recycler rig. With an Opal encased as a rain drop, that'd be super nice.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back