Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Bubble Hash

I got some fresh sugar trim super fresh in the freezer, about 150g.

I definitely need to get more bags before I start the extraction. Maybe even use the 190u as the work mixing bag.

Most definitely thinking about 120u. Possibly even the 90 aswell.

Mainly I think,

(maybe 90)

Is perfect. I mean, shoot, throw in the 25because I have it.

Looking forward to more class sessions.

At the moment, off topic, looking to get a custom recycler rig. With an Opal encased as a rain drop, that'd be super nice.
Great news man :D

For the bags, using the 190 as the work bag is definitely no problem. Often, you may find that you can do away with one or two of those large pore sized bags.

A 90u bag is really not necessary if you have great mature resin on your starting material, it'll only help if your resin is good, but not great. The 73u should be just as melty as the 90u and so separation is a lot of work with not necessarily any benefit if you are dealing with mature resin from most varieties IME. The 90u will help if your 73u collection is not full melt for some reason.

You should ALWAYS use the 25u bag. Do not leave it out. You will waste a lot of material in some cases! My 25u is always at least 4 star melt, if not 5 star!

It sounds like you're going to be well prepared for your second attempt! I am sure that the only thing that could limit your results now would be the challenges of manual agitation.

I'm apparently not good at separating multi-quote messages out to respond to them, so this is gonna look a little fugly... Such is life... ;)

I follow what you are saying completely, to me, the collection machine could be a good product, it is just possible that it is counter-productive and I would not stump up to test it myself until I knew it worked well. I do not believe that this collection machine part is bunk as of yet. It may work.

It's a workable concept that requires a little putzing around. We used similar systems to do fuel analysis back in the old daze. I kinda wish I had access to all that gear now that I have an actual useful use for it...

Frenchy's machine clearly achieves the more appropriate agitation from watching videos of both. The agitation of forced compressed air etc would be much, much more vicious than a large circular spinning plate at the bottom of the unit. I would never use that wacky willy's product until I have seen somebody else use that machine and get the same yields of the same quality full melt as I get currently. I don't see that day coming.

Frenchy's machine cost has more 000s at the end than I like. Compressed air pressure can be controlled with a simple valve, so overpressure shouldn't be a concern?

Butane would be a terrible idea, as it would make your liquid (formerly just water and ice) have more solvent action which would dissolve the glands and increase the chances of the agitation rupturing the resin that aren't directly hit by the butane jet being injected into the vessel (any plant material in the vessel that was directly hit by the butane jet would be utterly stripped of viable full melt, the contents of the resin heads would be dispersed into the water and over the surfaces of the plant material present, also the surfaces in the vessel). This would get the contents of your headies out of their glands and into your water, making mechanical separation of whole glands impossible.

I used Butane as an example after another poster suggested that air wasn't healthy, seeing as butane is already being used as an extraction solvent. Why is air a bad thing?

Definitely counter-productive to our cause. Water curing sacrifices terps. That is the opposite of what we want here. Remember, solvent action is determined by contact time, barometric and vapor pressures (the latter is a function of temp and RH). The length of a water cure is much longer than the contact time involved in a bubble run, which is why it is noted to effect the flavor and aroma of the plant material in that article you shared.

This was in relation to removing contaminants. In Canada several Licensed Providers have been caught using banned chemicals on their product, and several others will only state 'we use every single chemical we are allowed to, but we use them safely'... Umm, great... So, given that this totally legal herb may be suspect would this be a viable way to clean it prior to processing? Are there other methods that may be more appropriate?

(edit - this dodn't look as bad as it did when I tried to respond from a smart phone - smart my butt... ;)

It's a workable concept that requires a little putzing around. We used similar systems to do fuel analysis back in the old daze. I kinda wish I had access to all that gear now that I have an actual useful use for it...
I'd be you would have had access to some epic centrifuge rigs for this purpose lol. I know of a great many cannabis applications for centrifuge hardware ;)

Frenchy's machine cost has more 000s at the end than I like. Compressed air pressure can be controlled with a simple valve, so overpressure shouldn't be a concern?
His machine is also for large scale commercial processing. It is tried and true, and can make product of the quality and yields that I am used to. I have never, ever heard of anybody achieving such results with the wacky willy's rig and until I do, am not taking chances with that amount of money. The majority of people who make bubble hash and achieve full melt get drastically lower yield of full melt and much more of lesser quality (2-4 star) hashes than I do. What works for those people may not achieve the results that I am used to and have come to demand nothing less than.

Compressed air pressure is not as likely to provide such uniform gentle agitation of the material. When we reduce the pressure, we also reduce the capacity for the air jet blasted into the vessel to create a complete vortexing motion of the entire load (water + cannabis material). Then we are left with only direct air pressure to try and blow the heads off of the material. I am not confident that there is a point in-between which will provide the desired agitation. To me, this is not ideal in either a high pressure or low pressure application and a vortexing motion caused by a larger rotating surface area is much more efficient at getting the desired movement of the material in the water.

Whatever number of 0's at the end of Frenchy's product, it is tried and true for producing large scale amounts of the highest quality hash. Nothing aside from traditional bubble machines and certain other proprietary manual agitation methods has been shown to be able to do this yet. The former are not machines which are appropriate for large scale processing and appropriate cleanliness in that scenario. The latter is often not repeatable enough and most who use these methods move onto machines in the end.

I used Butane as an example after another poster suggested that air wasn't healthy, seeing as butane is already being used as an extraction solvent. Why is air a bad thing?
I don't necessarily see risks with the air coming in, but it is true that air from a compressor can be contaminated with dust etc which we would rather not get into a bubble run.

Any solvent capable of dissolving resin glands is going to completely pooch the run. Don't try that.

This was in relation to removing contaminants. In Canada several Licensed Providers have been caught using banned chemicals on their product, and several others will only state 'we use every single chemical we are allowed to, but we use them safely'... Umm, great... So, given that this totally legal herb may be suspect would this be a viable way to clean it prior to processing? Are there other methods that may be more appropriate?
Basically, water cured flower is inferior to the point of not being justifiable for high end extraction purposes like bubble. If you wanna do DIY hash extraction and can only find flowers that you will only trust once water cured, then you are better off giving up on DIY extraction IMO. The loss of actives involved in a water cure is a big problem as the actives lost are precisely what justifies the use of high labor, low yield methods like bubble hash.

It sounds like the problem in your country right now is a regulatory one. I hope this situation improved for you guys soon brother, it definitely sounds like an issue that needs tending to! :peace:

Last edited:
Bierbrauanimation-whirlpool.jpg
Bierbrauanimation-whirlpool.jpg

I also believe that the water bubbles caused by compressed air are too much. Could cause an exploding movement of the ice or you reduce it until there will be no more vortex.

I'm a long term homebrewer too. Why not use a whirlpool vessel? There are one, two horizontal water jets near the bottom which creates a vortex. Power and speed of the water/wort stream can be regulated by the used pump.

It's a pretty cheap construction. Guess 100l will work for around $400-600 if you get the parts (vessel, pump, connectors, valves, hoses, jets) for cheap.

A friend of mine is constructor and builder of brewing equipment. Let's develope together a fine working bubblemachine and a centrifuge!

Damned I've to build up my current setup for pics!

Last edited:
@herbivore21 - so, "Primo bud, and Full Melt"aside, water washing of substandard/mildew trim - workable idea? I'm trying to figure out what process to use on 5 lbs of gifted trim that is suspect. I recently picked up a 30 gallon stock tank. I'm kinda tempted to fill it with ice water, trim and a canoe paddle...

Just for testing your tech may be a good idea but for counsuming? With mildew? Taste of it will go into the product. For sure with efx but the taste?

I was gifted it before I knew there were issues with it. It's not going to be vaped. What we're trying to ascertain, in this instance, is whether this might be a suitable method to separate the less good stuff from the better stuff. The much larger question, given that the legal meds I get coming from vaguely suspect sources, such as Canadian LPs, as an example. Health Canada allows quite a bit of latitude on whats allowed to be used while growing, and only recently (weeks recently) they switched from random spot checks to actually performing some sort of testing. They still allow a lot of chemicals into the mix, hence my interest in cleaning suspect herb from another level, as well. Maybe suspect isn't the right word, but it's history is certainly unknown, and potentially exposed to a great number of things many wouldn't normally utilize on their own home-grown meds.

Interesting concept re vortex btw. It seems to have some potential...

View attachment 366 View attachment 366

I also believe that the water bubbles caused by compressed air are too much. Could cause an exploding movement of the ice or you reduce it until there will be no more vortex.

I'm a long term homebrewer too. Why not use a whirlpool vessel? There are one, two horizontal water jets near the bottom which creates a vortex. Power and speed of the water/wort stream can be regulated by the used pump.

It's a pretty cheap construction. Guess 100l will work for around $400-600 if you get the parts (vessel, pump, connectors, valves, hoses, jets) for cheap.

A friend of mine is constructor and builder of brewing equipment. Let's develope together a fine working bubblemachine and a centrifuge!

Damned I've to build up my current setup for pics!
I do think that such a vessel may have applications in bubble runs, but would need to see one actually functioning to really determine how to make it work with my methods. It does look promising though!

I would love to design a bubble machine, but at this time due to my day job I unfortunately simply do not have time for such collaborations.

@herbivore21 - so, "Primo bud, and Full Melt"aside, water washing of substandard/mildew trim - workable idea? I'm trying to figure out what process to use on 5 lbs of gifted trim that is suspect. I recently picked up a 30 gallon stock tank. I'm kinda tempted to fill it with ice water, trim and a canoe paddle...
This may give you some success, you can definitely scoop mildew off of the top of the water as it tends to float to the surface of your water once nugs are submerged from what I've heard with friends who have attempted to clean mildew ridden material. I have never had mildew in flower personally, although I have seen and refused to purchase many other kinds of moldy material over the years. You should not use your usual agitation vessels and you should really have a separate set of bags for contaminated runs like this. I would not use bags that have been in contact with contaminated plant material with clean uncontaminated runs.

I would not be agitating the material very much in the water until you can get the mildew to float to the surface and get the lion's share of the mildew scooped out of the water. With all of our mention of centrifuges recently, I do wonder if some really high resolution separations of mildew and resin from trim could be achieved using the appropriate centrifuge? :D

Just for testing your tech may be a good idea but for counsuming? With mildew? Taste of it will go into the product. For sure with efx but the taste?
It is always possible that even when you've cleaned it as much as possible, that hash from mildew affected material will still have some mildew in it and taste/smell of mildew. The proof is in the hashing though, so time will tell :)

I was gifted it before I knew there were issues with it. It's not going to be vaped. What we're trying to ascertain, in this instance, is whether this might be a suitable method to separate the less good stuff from the better stuff. The much larger question, given that the legal meds I get coming from vaguely suspect sources, such as Canadian LPs, as an example. Health Canada allows quite a bit of latitude on whats allowed to be used while growing, and only recently (weeks recently) they switched from random spot checks to actually performing some sort of testing. They still allow a lot of chemicals into the mix, hence my interest in cleaning suspect herb from another level, as well. Maybe suspect isn't the right word, but it's history is certainly unknown, and potentially exposed to a great number of things many wouldn't normally utilize on their own home-grown meds.

Interesting concept re vortex btw. It seems to have some potential...
Water washing is definitely the best extraction method for a number of the chemicals that can be a concern in non-organic grow practices, you are definitely wise to choose bubble hash runs in this situation my friend :peace: It is a damned shame that you guys can't have transparency yet in what has been put into your products from some vendors.

Apologies for double post but @Killick, I've actually just noticed in a certain other online community that Tweed have recently been caught sending at least one customer flowers that are not fully dried (73% RH when jarred with a hygrometer, stems twist/bend and don't snap). It sounds like you guys are dealing with some diabolical BS from LP's in some cases!

Would never buy a product where I don't know personaly the grower and his work. There are lot of - commercial - growers who say "who cares?" and therefore are using a lot of critical stuffs just for profit's sake. It's really strange. Many tokers are very, very sensible regarding bad stuffs and possible impacts to their health but are consuming weed without any critics...

Yes... so now that the legal, lawful, and covered by insurance program herb is potentially unsuitable for its intended purpose, how can we take steps to ensure its cleanlines prior to consumption?

There aren't many LPs that can be trusted, not to self test, certainly not when there is so much profit at stake. Without any form of assurance that product is healthy do we treat all LP product as contaminated by default? I suspect that by next year the home grow market will be substantially larger than it is this year. This year the current government is trying to squeeze a ton of profit from "legalization", but next year it will be a somewhat irrelevant model...

Lucky boys and girls, at least you HAVE a legal way.

Best from a illegal country

We were all there at one time, and every day it looks like there are more coming around.

Here in Canada we were more legal until the last federal change in gov, and the new group is trying to replace medical users with recreational ones, as rec users can pay more. Probably.

So wandering a hardware store I found some interesting things that may be of use to some?
Spin down water filter. Water comes in, goes through a screen, then continues along its path. Meanwhile, particulate below a certain mesh size (several sizes available) is trapped, and gets drained via a dump valve...

nf1wuZP.jpg

ALOisRN.jpg

Attachments

• 20170610_213535.jpg
    20170610_213535.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 20170610_213549.jpg
    20170610_213549.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:
RIYdxR2.jpg

One way that I enjoy testing the quality of my bubble hash after a run is to take a small sample of the dried, unpressed hash, wrap it in some PTFE slick wrap and apply pressure to it with the cold plates of my rosin press (obviously, I leave the heaters off for this).

I don't use any rosin screen, since I'm not trying to separate anything here. The purpose of the cold press of my hash is to see if like above, the hash looks like oil after a cold press. This is a sure indicator that you've got some melty goodness! :biggrin:

RIYdxR2.jpg

One way that I enjoy testing the quality of my bubble hash after a run is to take a small sample of the dried, unpressed hash, wrap it in some PTFE slick wrap and apply pressure to it with the cold plates of my rosin press (obviously, I leave the heaters off for this).

I don't use any rosin screen, since I'm not trying to separate anything here. The purpose of the cold press of my hash is to see if like above, the hash looks like oil after a cold press. This is a sure indicator that you've got some melty goodness! :biggrin:
Still waiting for that invite over for a scotch and a dab, my friend! LOL

Maybe if we live long enough to see full legal.

Beautiful stuff, mate....really mouthwatering.

Still waiting for that invite over for a scotch and a dab, my friend! LOL

Maybe if we live long enough to see full legal.

Beautiful stuff, mate....really mouthwatering.
One of these days brother! :peace::cheers:

My former laptop crashed so I loose all my bookmarks - fucking lazyness which didn't motivate me making backups.

Was searching for my former bookmarked links to Frenchy Cannoli's commercial bubble machine but couldn't find infos about anymore. Could anyone help please?

My former laptop crashed so I loose all my bookmarks - fucking lazyness which didn't motivate me making backups.

Was searching for my former bookmarked links to Frenchy Cannoli's commercial bubble machine but couldn't find infos about anymore. Could anyone help please?
I actually can't find anywhere that it is listed as available myself after a little while looking bro... I wonder if they aren't selling them at the moment?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back