Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Accessories Dynavap And Other Induction Heaters

Is that a dental wax IH I see in the pic as well?
Yep, SJK IH in the background, I would suggest using LG hg2 18650x2 batteries, less than $20 a pair, My home built unit also has a LED on the circuit board that lights up when it is on for an indication, but for $1.50 more I have a battery readout. It says 7.70 when turned on and this will dip to 7.3 when you insert the tip to heat (all dependant on starting volts at the time). I managed 89 heat cycles with my homemade job before it took too long to heat a tip and the batteries needed recharging.
I see guys building and selling induction lighters for $125.00
Yes, a lot of thought and work went into building the electronics to fit in a small pocketable 3x18650 powered IH, I almost went on the list until the maker bored 4 largish holes in the enclosure for ventilation, for that price (plus batteries) I wanted something that looks a bit less of an afterthought.:thumbsup:

Yep, SJK IH in the background, I would suggest using LG hg2 18650x2 batteries, less than $20 a pair, My home built unit also has a LED on the circuit board that lights up when it is on for an indication, but for $1.50 more I have a battery readout. It says 7.70 when turned on and this will dip to 7.3 when you insert the tip to heat (all dependant on starting volts at the time). I managed 89 heat cycles with my homemade job before it took too long to heat a tip and the batteries needed recharging.

Yes, a lot of thought and work went into building the electronics to fit in a small pocketable 3x18650 powered IH, I almost went on the list until the maker bored 4 largish holes in the enclosure for ventilation, for that price (plus batteries) I wanted something that looks a bit less of an afterthought.:thumbsup:
You’re much more loaded with abundant amounts of $?

You’re much more loaded with abundant amounts of $?
Actually Les has found a frugal way to make his own IH (as well as a lot of other items) And the SJK dental IH was really cheap... under $30 if my memory serves me.... @LesPlenty can chime in on that.

He likes to tinker with stuff. When you live in the middle of nowhere you have to occupy your stoned self when you're not at the beach. :biggrin:

Actually Les has found a frugal way to make his own IH (as well as a lot of other items) And the SJK dental IH was really cheap... under $30 if my memory serves me.... @LesPlenty can chime in on that.

He likes to tinker with stuff. When you live in the middle of nowhere you have to occupy your stoned self when you're not at the beach. :biggrin:
IH cost us $10 in parts to make the @LesPlenty special - I have the parts yet to put togehter, I also have a PSM

The SJK I had cost us $60 aus I think?

Much cheaper than the ones by other makers

I mst say I like my PSM a lot, but do not think the price is worthy when there are cheaper options available and the parts do not cost the makers much at all esp if buying in bulk plus the build quality of my PSM leaves some to be desired - the volt tester and magnet have been glued on cheaply and could easily come off
The rubber feet on bottom often move as cheaply glued on.....It is far from pocket size

So - works great and I love it - but not worth the $$$ if you have a modicum of ability and wish to buy parts for $10

SJK well worth it, just not portable

Fluxer heaters has great pocket sized ones but also expensive......

There is a 99aud version of the SJK on ebay as well - maybe better relays inside

If people want to read on FC there are instructions on DIY IH units or somewhere here @LesPlenty has directions to his unit he made

Any pics of the pocketable IH?
https://vaporasylum.com/threads/fluxer-heaters-induction-heaters-for-dynavap.746/
IMG-6211-private.jpg

@ataxian I have money for vapes because I gave up smoking (AU$5400 a year for just tobacco) and I never had kids.:thumbsup:

I ordered two heaters & will pop down to Jaycar to buy a couple of appropriate switches & a 12v socket. Start out by making a plug in unit & go from there.

Gotta good feeling this will work out peachy

giphy.gif

I found some screw type momentary switches to keep with the 'no solder' theme, it is hard to muck up the putting together and this is a cheap way to see if you want to spend $100+ for a decently made IH unit,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233F-DIY-19mm-Momentary-Metal-Push-Button-Switch-Round-Reactable-Screw-Terminal/173666258295?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
s-l1600.jpg

That brings the total for parts up to AU$12 for the kit ($14 if you want a volt meter as well)

Edit; careful with the plug in job,

Last edited:
After the "six screw it's easy" challenge was thrown out there curiosity got the better of me so I ordered some parts on ebay & from Jaycar to build a simple IH unit.

20190202_165006.jpg

Parts list

3a 12v power supply. I used one of my Mighty chargers but you need at least 3a. The one I linked appears to come with a 2.1mm female adapter
2.1mm female adapter if you use a different power supply or don't have one in a drawer somewhere
5v-12v low voltage IH
Some cheap hookup wire you should be able to get at any electronics store. I paid $0.55 per metre for mine.
Small pair of pliers to shape the coil if needed.
Small flat & phillips head screwdrivers to put it all together (six screws in total).

All you need to do is strip 1/4" of the shielding from each end & screw into the positive terminal on the power supply & adapter. Repeat for the negative. Once you have shaped the heating coil screw that to the IH unit & you are good to go.

20190202_192829.jpg

The total cost will be around $15US all up. If you can use a VapCap with a torch you can build a basic IH unit.

I added in a $2 switch to mine after making an initial cable & am glad I did. The actual unit & coil get quite hot in standby mode (hot enough to burn skin) so having a switch makes it easier & safer. I only turn it on when I am about to use it. Heatup time is 10-15 seconds & I am pretty damm impressed with how well it works.

Now just because I havent burnt my house to the ground yet does not mean I won't but it will be a suitable solution while I wait for my pipes units to arrive (bare bones & Jarhead). I really wanted to see just how easy it was to make so thanks to @LesPlenty for laying down the challenge :chuck:.

There is your indoor IH for cheap @ataxian if you want to take the challenge although I think you would be better off getting a Jarhead & he takes paypal.......

Update on the six screw challenge.

It did not work out so well for me. On both heater units the heat from the coil caused the plastic terminal to melt with a catastrophic failure on one unit & the other I picked up in time. I suspect the weight of the unsupported coil caused this. On the flipside I soldered the coil to the heater & it has been running fine for the last dozen bowls plus I did a 10 bowl back to back test to see if the solder would soften. It didn't but time will tell on if this is viable.

At this stage my suggestion would be to stick to prebuilt units unless you are handy & can add the extra components. It works but safety is somewhat questionable.

Probably should have stuck to 2x18650 batteries as suggested, 8.4v compared to probably 13+v for the power supply, you need the bigger version for over 12v, mine just survived the Aussie day camping trip where it got run hard...again.:thumbsup:
5-12v=
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-12v-ZVS-Induction-Heating-Power-Supply-Module-Tesla-Jacobs-Ladder-Coil-CK/191976603670?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
12-30v=
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-ZVS-Induction-Heating-Driver-Board-High-Voltage-Generator-Circuit-PCB-12-30V/153147424681?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
:cheers:
I also did not bend up my coil to fit, I just run the unit on its side or heat the cap by inserting sideways so you can heat 2 caps at once.
IMG_20180928_153531.jpg

Last edited:
Probably should have stuck to 2x18650 batteries as suggested, 8.4v compared to probably 13+v for the power supply, you need the bigger version for over 12v, mine just survived the Aussie day camping trip where it got run hard...again.:thumbsup:

That would apply if I wanted to build a battery powered unit but I want mains power. Having consulted with Pipes when I was ordering my Jarhead & bare bones components he explained you need to use a 12v 3a power supply. I believe the issue is I left the units running for over an hour. If I switch on & use for sub 10 minute periods I have had no issue. Probably one of the reasons most people use those little switches under the coil.

I just checked the power supply I am using & it is registering 12.3v at 3a. Takes 10-15 seconds to heat a cap. I also tried a 2a power supply set to 8.6v & it took forever to heat a cap. If I feel motivated I will hook it up to my lab power supply & see what happens. All said & done I really only need it to last until my other ones arrive from Canada & they were always considered somewhat sacrificial. Unless both my units were faulty they get quite hot if they are switched on but appear to run fine for short periods & cool rapidly.

Thanks for the links.

Oh shit, I never leane mine on any longer than the heat up of the Vapcap, that is why I linked a momentary switch, no wonder you fucked it.:biggrin: Just for shits and giggles, what is/was the actual voltage of your power supply?

Voltage is 12.3v & it is a 3a unit (Mighty power supply). Yeah leaving it on for 90 odd minutes well & truly rooted the little blue housing. Since that happened I switch the unit on & off only when I am using it & it has been trouble free. The switch is to the right of the unit.

Not the neatest solder job as I used a spike tip since I have no flat tip. It does work & work well.

20190205_183921.jpg

Nice fix, now that is a good contact with the solder!:thumbsup:

I would recommend if someone has a soldering iron especially with a flat tip to give it a go. When I did have the right kit years ago I could have churned out a bunch of these with all the trimmings & heat shrink etc but I just can't be bothered. I just wanted to see if a mains power unit could be built cheap & it certainly can.

It would not be overly difficult for a half handy person to make one. Crimped connections could also be an option as well. What really matters is I did not manage to burn my house down but I tried :lol:.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back