Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Nerd Culture - Comics & Films & Games & Cosplay & Collectibles & All Things Camp!

So, my special lady and I went on a garage sale hunt in a nearby hipster city, as we tend to do.

She found a bunch of rando collectables, which she adornds around "her room" and shows them off and giggles about them.

Meanwhile, in "my room" I merely have a couple of Joker posters, plus a couple of figurines of Professor Frink from the Simpsons, and Megavolt from Darkwing Duck, and ... maybe an "action figure" of Kirk Van Houten. Look it up.

So ... I don't really own many actual comic books. Mostly paperbacks and anthologies. Other than Spawn, which issues are expensive or hard to find, it's all paperback form.

Also, there is there is this girl who works at this comic book shop who dresses up every day. This day we were there, she was dressed up as the original She-Ra.

It leaves little to the imagination. She looks like Marilyn Monroe with her skirt shooting up. Who the fuck is not going to look at that?

She talked me into a full run of first run of first print print of original Watchmen, and a full first print run of The Dark Knight Returns. I was powerless against her.

But, in my defense, I snuck in a first printing of Walking Dead #1 and surprised my special lady with it after she was done having a tantrum about She-Ra. Worked out pretty well. :cool:

So, my special lady and I went on a garage sale hunt in a nearby hipster city, as we tend to do.

She found a bunch of rando collectables, which she adornds around "her room" and shows them off and giggles about them.

Meanwhile, in "my room" I merely have a couple of Joker posters, plus a couple of figurines of Professor Frink from the Simpsons, and Megavolt from Darkwing Duck, and ... maybe an "action figure" of Kirk Van Houten. Look it up.

So ... I don't really own many actual comic books. Mostly paperbacks and anthologies. Other than Spawn, which issues are expensive or hard to find, it's all paperback form.

Also, there is there is this girl who works at this comic book shop who dresses up every day. This day we were there, she was dressed up as the original She-Ra.

It leaves little to the imagination. She looks like Marilyn Monroe with her skirt shooting up. Who the fuck is not going to look at that?

She talked me into a full run of first run of first print print of original Watchmen, and a full first print run of The Dark Knight Returns. I was powerless against her.

But, in my defense, I snuck in a first printing of Walking Dead #1 and surprised my special lady with it after she was done having a tantrum about She-Ra. Worked out pretty well. :cool:

Some deep pockets for those runs
I need to store my comics better
They are in Mylar but its 30 years old in some cases
Key issues of X-Men, Avengers, Walking Dead, Hulk (#181, first Wolverine), Iron Fist and a ton of other stuff
I did the death of superman and the breaking of the bat but it got ridiculous after that
Frank Miller brought the bat back and they could have handled it a little better
Went to Sandman, Hellblazer and the Crow (Caliber press)
You could open an Image comic and get a two page spread of cleavage

Van Houten, keeping it in the family
Simpson's comics were pretty good
Back in the day they were at the check out for impulse purchase
Just stocked up for the winter and getting my ass kicked with platinum kush mints

Hoping for good things but it may be another vampire movie

Good trailer. Despite the Jim Morrison lyrics.

I like The Doors, but I hate Jim Morrison. He was a self-righteous and pretentious and fucky piece of shit. The only reason The Doors are remembered is because of the music behind him.

Have you ever sat down and listened to his lyrics? They're childish, stupid, lame, and forgettable. He had his head shoved up so far up his own ass that he thought of himself as the greatest poet of the 20th century, yet his words were the equality of a 21st century high school emo who just got dumped by their first boyfriend/girlfriend.

And "The End"? Utter shit. Yeah, anyone on an acid trip will say some shit that is weird. That doesn't make it "good wrirting." It just means you're tripping on acid.

My apologies to any Morrison fans. I just don't like him.

Good trailer. Despite the Jim Morrison lyrics.

I like The Doors, but I hate Jim Morrison. He was a self-righteous and pretentious and fucky piece of shit. The only reason The Doors are remembered is because of the music behind him.

Have you ever sat down and listened to his lyrics? They're childish, stupid, lame, and forgettable. He had his head shoved up so far up his own ass that he thought of himself as the greatest poet of the 20th century, yet his words were the equality of a 21st century high school emo who just got dumped by their first boyfriend/girlfriend.

And "The End"? Utter shit. Yeah, anyone on an acid trip will say some shit that is weird. That doesn't make it "good wrirting." It just means you're tripping on acid.

My apologies to any Morrison fans. I just don't like him.

You mean he was like every teenager out there
Getting dumped has led to great art whether it be prose or film

I'm a connoisseur of bad
Music, movies, clothing
Still think Wise guys is one of the funniest movies ever with Capt. Lou Albano playing the best mob enforcer ever

Believe it got voted one of the worst movies ever made
Top ten best in my tasteless brain

You mean he was like every teenager out there
Getting dumped has led to great art whether it be prose or film

I'm a connoisseur of bad
Music, movies, clothing
Still think Wise guys is one of the funniest movies ever with Capt. Lou Albano playing the best mob enforcer ever

Believe it got voted one of the worst movies ever made
Top ten best in my tasteless brain

LOL. Fair enough. I certainly agree that breakups can lead to high art ... it can also lead to teenage-esque poetry that makes you want to hurl before you run away.

I like Wise Guys, too. "Dickstein." :rofl:

Remember, you're talking to a guy who thinks National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 is possibly the greatest film ever made.

LOL. Fair enough. I certainly agree that breakups can lead to high art ... it can also lead to teenage-esque poetry that makes you want to hurl before you run away.

I like Wise Guys, too. "Dickstein." :rofl:

Remember, you're talking to a guy who thinks National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 is possibly the greatest film ever made.

Aaahhh!
To be coked up and writing scripts in west Hollywood back in the day
Money well spent on a classical education
And Denis Leary, Tim Curry and William Shatner in the same scene

I'm a Spock guy (hometown boy) but I give the egomaniac his due
He released an album or twenty
9e8a953c-8fce-4dc4-877c-b834ebb55e27_1.fdd76aa5437aaaf6f3fcc2a387d232fb.jpeg

So ...

Sierra and I are good friends with our local movie theater owner. He had no plans for showing Nightmare Alley. Not a big enough audience.

I'm going to toot my own horn here, while I make it clear to you and to him that she has never seen a del Toro film in a theater and it would mean a lot to the both of us.

Yeah. That went nowhere.

Then she went and pranced around in her skirt and told him she would bring a bunch of friends with her to see it ....

And well by golly! Suddenly it's on the marquee. Well whatta you know ...

Because of the smallness of the theater, and of course Covid, and because of her popularity, it's been broken up into two groups.

So, if you read this thread from the beginning, you'll know where to find a girl who will get right up in your face if you say anything wrong, and a belligerent and confusedly angry old man with spiky hair straight out of the Beverly Hillis 90210 ...

I did not sign up for this.

I told her she's not allowed to see this movie until she's read the novel, and seen the Tyrone Powers version of the story. Well with her young brain, that happened in a matter of hours.

I love the original film, but del Toro is taking it up a notch.

So ...

Sierra and I are good friends with our local movie theater owner. He had no plans for showing Nightmare Alley. Not a big enough audience.

I'm going to toot my own horn here, while I make it clear to you and to him that she has never seen a del Toro film in a theater and it would mean a lot to the both of us.

Yeah. That went nowhere.

Then she went and pranced around in her skirt and told him she would bring a bunch of friends with her to see it ....

And well by golly! Suddenly it's on the marquee. Well whatta you know ...

Because of the smallness of the theater, and of course Covid, and because of her popularity, it's been broken up into two groups.

So, if you read this thread from the beginning, you'll know where to find a girl who will get right up in your face if you say anything wrong, and a belligerent and confusedly angry old man with spiky hair straight out of the Beverly Hillis 90210 ...

I did not sign up for this.

I told her she's not allowed to see this movie until she's read the novel, and seen the Tyrone Powers version of the story. Well with her young brain, that happened in a matter of hours.

I love the original film, but del Toro is taking it up a notch.

Bringing back memories of Dazed & Confused at MALIBU?
Surf City of OC N CALIFORNIA sur B-wave’s & north de pier.
DA film’s were SURFING (mostly HAWAII).
The zig-zag joint’s filled the dark room with smoke?
MARIJUANA is what hippie pot smoker’s called this weed N SPANISH term!
Dazed & Confused = right of da ERA?
CANNABIS is the proper name if your a word smith?
1970 was a dream?
CANNABIS is reality!

So ... mom.

There has been a lot of talk about you. A whole lot of talk.

Particularly why you haven't watched and reanacted Loaded Weapon 1. People are starting to think you're ... weird.

We need to talk. I can train you.

Rumours are starting, mom. They're starting.

Mr. del Toro, you are the 21st century Tim Burton.

I can't really word it any better.

Everyone left the film without a word.

My special lady and I had a discussion.

It started off as a dare to say whatever I wanted to truly say to this bartender girl. So I did it.

Some of it went well. The other ... not so much.

But it brought up an ineresting question for me - should I say whatever I want to say?

If you're just polite all the time, you seem weak. If you say what you want to say, you seem like a dick. If you search for middle ground, you're a fool lost in the desert and drinking your own urine thinking that will help.

So I don't know if I'm Conan or Jordan? :thinker:

Good news, Nerd fans.

Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley will be available to stream on Feb 1st on HBO and Hulu.

Not the black and white version - will have to wait for the blu-ray version for that.

If you've been sitting this one out, well then you don't know what you're missing.

:myday:

So ... the ladies are watching this thing called Squid Games? I don't even know what it is. And my old man ass has been put into the anywhere but around the group of girls watching the show. Great. Just use my place to throw your party. Really, great.

But I've held my tongue because in the early 90s, I became obsessed with a little show called The X-Files.

Seriously though ... what the fuck is the Squid Games?

Grew up poor
So you took care of everything you received
Still have my Blue Shark matchbox car
1971 Lesney made in England
View attachment 33962View attachment 33963
I was born in COMPTON, CALIFORNIA (south central LOS ANGLES, CA)
Grew up poor then not so poor?
My vinyl record’thems were my life or babysitting device? (Wish I kept them)
My brother has Them? most likely?
Comic book’s,, classic book’s,, baseball card’s, surf board’s, old videos and wood tool’s (hand as well as plug-in’s)
Should of saved them?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back