Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Wenge, Padauk with red pvc accents.

No finish on them yet.
IMG_20200502_172442.jpg

IMG_20200502_172627.jpg

And because some pieces of wood just look nice. Spalted Beech bookmatched pair glued together.
Tell me what you see....
IMG_20200502_163956.jpg

Thank you @Squiby nice to do something different and unique. Black glass looks great against any woods.

I get a pair of spectacled birds with chefs hats looking at each other.
Where their shoulders meet a head, face with eyes wide apart.
Down the bottom a cat's face.

I blame the drugs:rofl:

There's a good chance that the drill will wander when running a 5mm hole through any blank.
Normally it doesn't matter but in the case of a laminated blank it's important to run parallel or it'll look a bag of nails.
Purpleheart, Wenge and Walnut.

I'm hoping I can force the purple on a bit for a better match so there's no wax on these yet.
IMG_20200505_203135_372.jpg

Indian Rosewood Rasta colours lid, again needs a coat or 3 of wax.
IMG_20200504_214143_361.jpg

@BestBuds no list as such, I took a different route as running a list wasn't working.
Get in touch anytime and we can sort something out.

I have a feeling there will be one or two moments of extreme cussing just round the corner.
84 pieces of pvc to be sandwiched between 2 pieces of Blackwood.
IMG_20200511_181919.jpg

@BestBuds no list as such, I took a different route as running a list wasn't working.
Get in touch anytime and we can sort something out.

I have a feeling there will be one or two moments of extreme cussing just round the corner.
84 pieces of pvc to be sandwiched between 2 pieces of Blackwood.
View attachment 18339

1589297253967.png

There it is! Phattpiggie's technicolor dream stem!

Not really much swearing went on, really. Lost skin and ended up having to take a hard skin file to my finger ends in order to get the glue off. Here's part of the glue up.

IMG-20200601-172330.jpg

IMG-20200601-144611.jpg

What did happen was an OCD like check, recheck, check and recheck then check again, that every piece, all 158 of them, was in it's correct place. Of course it didn't help that there are a couple of versions floating around.
Roughed out on the metal lathe.

Final shape by hand, the pvc gets hot and smears rather than cuts so it took a light touch and a nice steady work pace.

What else have I been up too...
A while back @Timberhead put some IH blanks together for me and for a while now I've put off the task of twisting one of them.
Sorted that situation out.
There are 24 index points on the headstock of my lathe and they were well appreciated.
Purpleheart, Walnut and Wenge. All with very different attitudes to the file. Purpleheart and Wenge like to cause the file to slip over rather than cut into the surface and PH smells like puke, so all good clean fun.

Also got an Oak Burr IH and stem to do so a bit of prep work has been done for them. I think there will be turquoise going in the Oak.
IMG-20200603-163328.jpg

This is the last piece of Snakewood I had from a previous purchase a couple or three years back. Figured as I was ordering more it'd be nice to use this piece up. Top grade in this species has doubled in price in that time.
It comes in at number 6 for density and turns and finishes beautifully.

Every time we set a BBQ going I can't help myself and at one point I'd stashed away some lovely specimens but needs must and they got used up, belly got the better of me.
But you can't let an idea get lost in the ether no matter how daft it sounds when you first think about it.

There is a lot of superglue in this piece and I had concerns it wouldn't stay together. Again it was a steady turn with plenty of stops to apply more on the parts that hadn't soaked any up.

Of course when something is begging for some inlay you gotta do it.

And everyone loves it when this happens..

My adventure with accents in stems started out with an idea that came from a pen called 'Dark Matters'.
Such a simple idea but the results look far from it. A can of pop and a 45° cut adds a touch of class to this Blackwood piece.
https://youtu.be/V6DZdieVY1c
https://youtu.be/TIbbhKksk9I

Having a small metal lathe I now have the opportunity to try ideas out before handing a drawing over to the CNC shop.
Ti MP's has been on the cards for a while now.
Blackwood with TiHE/TiMP
https://youtu.be/p6FCQ6rAnaI

Whilst I understand the appeal of anodised colours on Ti it's not something I'll be persuing. The colour choices are limited and the thin coating of colour will wear off in time.
Aluminium on the other hand can be anodised in many differenrt colours and it's hard wearing.
This is the first venture in this direction.
The hot end has a Ti insert in for now, aluminium is more than likely safe for the temps it gets to when used in this way. I've seen it used by some other vape manufacturers so it could end up all ali hot ends.
https://youtu.be/hFWXkBAd4yo

'What did you do during lockdown?'
I got the fuk on with it....
https://youtu.be/5G1hkzBe2vA

Not really much swearing went on, really. Lost skin and ended up having to take a hard skin file to my finger ends in order to get the glue off. Here's part of the glue up.

IMG-20200601-172330.jpg

IMG-20200601-144611.jpg

What did happen was an OCD like check, recheck, check and recheck then check again, that every piece, all 158 of them, was in it's correct place. Of course it didn't help that there are a couple of versions floating around.
Roughed out on the metal lathe.

Final shape by hand, the pvc gets hot and smears rather than cuts so it took a light touch and a nice steady work pace.

What else have I been up too...
A while back @Timberhead put some IH blanks together for me and for a while now I've put off the task of twisting one of them.
Sorted that situation out.
There are 24 index points on the headstock of my lathe and they were well appreciated.
Purpleheart, Walnut and Wenge. All with very different attitudes to the file. Purpleheart and Wenge like to cause the file to slip over rather than cut into the surface and PH smells like puke, so all good clean fun.

Also got an Oak Burr IH and stem to do so a bit of prep work has been done for them. I think there will be turquoise going in the Oak.
IMG-20200603-163328.jpg

This is the last piece of Snakewood I had from a previous purchase a couple or three years back. Figured as I was ordering more it'd be nice to use this piece up. Top grade in this species has doubled in price in that time.
It comes in at number 6 for density and turns and finishes beautifully.

Every time we set a BBQ going I can't help myself and at one point I'd stashed away some lovely specimens but needs must and they got used up, belly got the better of me.
But you can't let an idea get lost in the ether no matter how daft it sounds when you first think about it.

There is a lot of superglue in this piece and I had concerns it wouldn't stay together. Again it was a steady turn with plenty of stops to apply more on the parts that hadn't soaked any up.

Of course when something is begging for some inlay you gotta do it.

And everyone loves it when this happens..

My adventure with accents in stems started out with an idea that came from a pen called 'Dark Matters'.
Such a simple idea but the results look far from it. A can of pop and a 45° cut adds a touch of class to this Blackwood piece.
https://youtu.be/V6DZdieVY1c
https://youtu.be/TIbbhKksk9I

Having a small metal lathe I now have the opportunity to try ideas out before handing a drawing over to the CNC shop.
Ti MP's has been on the cards for a while now.
Blackwood with TiHE/TiMP
https://youtu.be/p6FCQ6rAnaI

Whilst I understand the appeal of anodised colours on Ti it's not something I'll be persuing. The colour choices are limited and the thin coating of colour will wear off in time.
Aluminium on the other hand can be anodised in many differenrt colours and it's hard wearing.
This is the first venture in this direction.
The hot end has a Ti insert in for now, aluminium is more than likely safe for the temps it gets to when used in this way. I've seen it used by some other vape manufacturers so it could end up all ali hot ends.
https://youtu.be/hFWXkBAd4yo

'What did you do during lockdown?'
I got the fuk on with it....
https://youtu.be/5G1hkzBe2vA

When I had a shop to make surfboard’s we did mix resin glassing called: MEXICAN BLANKET
Multi-color stem is very nicely accented!

yes.. i am in awe. this is the kind of activity easily driving me up walls. it has been suggested to me that i take pictures of my stove before leaving the house. so chances are i will never ever be able to check whether all 158 pieces are indeed in their right places :)
but to give some context for those not in the know: this stem is based on rem koolhaas' proposal for a flag of europe, this is the original design of 2004 (?), personally i think this is brilliant in a lot of ways:

1591631013333.png

with the # of memberstates changing, it is obviously outdated by now, and it can be a bit taxing doing an image search on this & trying to find the most current version (including the u.k. obviously), they all look very much alike:

1591631481814.png

just to give a little more weight to what it really means when @phattpiggie says he had to "check, recheck, check and recheck then check again".

i cant wait to see this stem in person, looks like a masterpiece from here.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back