Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Something completely different

So @psychonaut how are you feeling about that plastic 'netting' now that some time has passed and the ladies have grown through?

I love the rigidity of the netting, you can cut through it in spots to allow light to get lower, but overall, I think it's not going to be superior to just using rope. I will take a ruler to the PVC pipe and make a mark every 2.5" or 4" (still deciding), I will use some self tapping screws to put into the marks and then use rope and string it up myself. It will be cheaper and not so restrictive on light penetration below.

I am glad that I used it on my first effort with a SCRoG, but have some regrets not changing it out, it definitely helped keep the growth horizontal!

Starting on week 8. Tent stinks so much the carbon filter is having a hard time keeping up. I am running 8" ducting so I expected the 8" filter to hold up but not so much. I fed them last night just under 3/8 tsp per gallon of jacks professional 20-20-20, seems like 3/8 tsp is giving some leaf burn. I'm actually thinking about just weighing out my nutrients, I've read jacks users decided on weighing it out instead of volume measurement. The sweet spot with my well water seems to be somewhere inbetween 1/4 and 5/16 tsp when volume measured. Still hard to believe I have these large boxes full of all brands of bottles of this and that. These buds are quite large considering how many times I topped the branches.

The church is an 8wk variety so I will begin scoping the trichomes this week and determine when to begin using plain well water (no nutes). I dont think this variety will be done this week, they're always short it seems, not sure if that's because I use LED's or what but my experience is they usually take a little longer. Oh, I also found a couple nanner growing in some of the church colas, not good. I might have some small light leaks not entirely sure and cant check at this stage, that's the only thing I could consider could cause it as I've not stressed these plants during bloom.

20190912_181933.jpg

Cheese
20190912_181940.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190912_181945.jpg

The Church
20190912_181954.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190912_182009.jpg

Cheese
20190912_182018.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190912_182034.jpg

The Church
20190912_182039.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190912_182047.jpg

Alright! Starting to get down to the wire here. Watered the girls last night, and was doing my inspections of the plants. I noticed one of the most beautiful colas growing on bruce banger had some white mold growing on a small piece of the outside. I immediately cut off the bud and further inspected all of my garden. From what I can see, everything else seems to be fine. I did notice a couple of gnats in there so not sure what's going on. I started to defoliate the bruce banger as I did notice some standing dew inbetween leafs that were touching. Not good.

I have no idea what's in store for me when I check them after lights on but I am hoping that was the beginning of a problem and I caught it early. The mold was completely on the outside of the bud, nothing on the inside, so it must have just begun.

Anyhow, I am very anxious right now and hope that I got rid of the problem. I did add some fans inside to stir the air around a bit.

How this happened? I suspect not having fans on at all blowing on the canopy, instead just having the exhaust fan, was not enough air movement. This plant is in the back corner which is opposite from the intake, so I guess there was some stagnant air, perhaps a wound on the bud from maybe the gnats, combined with higher humidity in the tent plus temps, they've been a bit warm here lately.

I ran through this guide after I found the mold, I hope it works out. They were pretty confident that catching it early and following the steps outlined would likely resolve the issue.

Now when I finally chop these plants I am going to go over them with magnifier, I am not sure how much I can trust this grow until we get further in. There are at least 1-2 weeks left on a couple of the varieties. I just hope they are more mold resistant. I've never had this problem while the plant was growing, and only ever had it happen after drying huge colas without trimming them (my last grow).

BTW, the cola that I cut with the mold was DENSE and heavy, it must have weighed a couple ounces wet, so I guess it was probably a 7g+ cola! Cant lose too many more, and if I find more mold I'm gonna have to take out any offending plants.

Still have a decent bit of meds from last batch so I'm not crying yet lol

Alright! Starting to get down to the wire here. Watered the girls last night, and was doing my inspections of the plants. I noticed one of the most beautiful colas growing on bruce banger had some white mold growing on a small piece of the outside. I immediately cut off the bud and further inspected all of my garden. From what I can see, everything else seems to be fine. I did notice a couple of gnats in there so not sure what's going on. I started to defoliate the bruce banger as I did notice some standing dew inbetween leafs that were touching. Not good.

I have no idea what's in store for me when I check them after lights on but I am hoping that was the beginning of a problem and I caught it early. The mold was completely on the outside of the bud, nothing on the inside, so it must have just begun.

Anyhow, I am very anxious right now and hope that I got rid of the problem. I did add some fans inside to stir the air around a bit.

How this happened? I suspect not having fans on at all blowing on the canopy, instead just having the exhaust fan, was not enough air movement. This plant is in the back corner which is opposite from the intake, so I guess there was some stagnant air, perhaps a wound on the bud from maybe the gnats, combined with higher humidity in the tent plus temps, they've been a bit warm here lately.

I ran through this guide after I found the mold, I hope it works out. They were pretty confident that catching it early and following the steps outlined would likely resolve the issue.

Now when I finally chop these plants I am going to go over them with magnifier, I am not sure how much I can trust this grow until we get further in. There are at least 1-2 weeks left on a couple of the varieties. I just hope they are more mold resistant. I've never had this problem while the plant was growing, and only ever had it happen after drying huge colas without trimming them (my last grow).

BTW, the cola that I cut with the mold was DENSE and heavy, it must have weighed a couple ounces wet, so I guess it was probably a 7g+ cola! Cant lose too many more, and if I find more mold I'm gonna have to take out any offending plants.

Still have a decent bit of meds from last batch so I'm not crying yet lol
Fingers crossed for you

Thanks ya'll, if anything I take away a big learning experience this effort, gonna stay positive.

I agree with your thoughts about adding a fan. Gnats usually come with excess moisture too. Plus this time of year is mold season.

It might be a good idea to invest in a humastat to keep an eye on the humidity.

After roughly 6 weeks in flower plants need less water. The buds have stopped building, now they're swelling, and finally ripening.

IDK if that was a factor or not, but in my garden I water 3/4 as much, after weeks 5-6, and the last week 1/2. I harvest fairly dry plants and that helps the plants dry faster after being cut. It also stresses them a little, not a bad thing at the end.

I agree with your thoughts about adding a fan. Gnats usually come with excess moisture too. Plus this time of year is mold season.

It might be a good idea to invest in a humastat to keep an eye on the humidity.

After roughly 6 weeks in flower plants need less water. The buds have stopped building, now they're swelling, and finally ripening.

IDK if that was a factor or not, but in my garden I water 3/4 as much, after weeks 5-6, and the last week 1/2. I harvest fairly dry plants and that helps the plants dry faster after being cut. It also stresses them a little, not a bad thing at the end.

Great thought. I did notice these plants were taking 3/4 a galllon instead of a full gallon but I also watered them 3 days ago versus the previous which was 4 days. I can see they're drinking less. I think it's time to start letting them dry out a bit, I need to begin flush soon as well so not sure how that's going to help me out in the humidity department. Right now the RH is 35% in my house, not positive what it is inside the tent, guessing mid 50's. I have the room open so it's continually getting fresh air.

Stanky ladies starting week 9, no mold in sight. Think the little fan under the canopy is keeping things fresh. I fed them all after 4 days except the church, I began plain well water. My favorite orange hill special is starting to show some darker hues, looking like she's getting close. I will begin flush on her maybe next week. I can tell cheese and Bruce banger will go longest.

I turned a friend of mine on to this grow method today. I'll give him a pound of the Jacks 20-20-20 and some of the sunshine mix #4 so he can see for himself. He had been chasing lockouts as well.

20190919_202412.jpg

Cheese
20190919_202435.jpg
20190919_202604.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190919_202459.jpg
20190919_202623.jpg

The Church
20190919_202515.jpg
20190919_202635.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190919_202543.jpg
20190919_202655.jpg

The Church is fading very quickly, after 4 days of just plain water she has faded almost completely to yellow now. I also begun flush on orange hill special, starting to get really frosty! Cheese and bruce banger got another feeding at about 5/16 tsp per gallon of water. Trying to keep temps in the room down in the upper 50's lower 60's during lights out. Home stretch, don't fuck it up now! lol Aiming for 7 days straight water for flush, watering every 3rd or 4th day (preferably 4th since they seem to still have enough turgor pressure even though the pots are mostly dry)

@psychonaut , I just spent the morning reading your grow. Thank you, for taking the time to post lots of pictures and commentary. It was an enjoyable morning, looking at your ladies. I wish we had smellavision, or what ever they call it.

Thank you for checking our my latest effort! I wish I could describe the smell, it is very complex and pungent :smile:

Here's flower day 60 shots, and some of the church on day 5 of plain water, fading quick, she'll be coming down this week. Started plain water on Orange Hill Special and gave another dose of 5/16 tsp of Jacks 20-20-20 to Cheese and Bruce Banger.

The Church
20190923_181915.jpg

20190923_182107.jpg

20190923_181931.jpg

Cheese
20190923_181945.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190923_181957.jpg

20190923_182056.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190923_182039.jpg

Last edited:
Starting of week 10? I need to go back and figure out if I skipped a week in my counting lol.

The Church has been flushing for at least 7 days, buds look ripe, Orange Hill Special is fading to the purple leafs, I am starting to see some fading on Bruce Banger, and Cheese actually still looks like she's still going, but the trichomes look good, may let her go longest if Bruce wants to finish sooner.. I am now only feeding well water, about 230 ppm 7.1 PH.

I will cut the netting around The Church, pruning shears at the stalk then carfully lift the fresh bouquet out. Then into 2x2' tent to begin slowly drying, still trying to maintain 65F or less in the room, shouldn't be hard now that autumn is here.

20190926_190222.jpg

Cheese
20190926_190229.jpg
20190926_190237.jpg

The Church
20190926_190247.jpg
20190926_190258.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190926_190307.jpg

20190926_190314.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190926_190324.jpg
20190926_190332.jpg

A couple of buckets of water on the floor might help slow the dehydrating.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back