Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Something completely different

Orange Hill Special's last glimpse, she went down last night and now joins the church.
20190929_184558.jpg
20190929_184609.jpg
20190929_184627.jpg

Bruce and Cheese are finishing up, both began flush and are now on their 2nd watering of plain well water. Cheese is starting to fade now, Bruce is fading to purple like the orange hill special.

20190930_184144.jpg

Cheese
20190930_184155.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190930_184205.jpg
20190930_184217.jpg

Thanks folks! @arb laid his blessing of growers expertise upon us, this method works my friends. Cheap and easy, just like I like it =) If I can dry them slow enough, and jar them early enough, I think things will end up well. I don't see myself doing anything different with chemical fertilizers again, all those damn bottles are getting ditched, I'll just keep a little pail of the blue crystals instead. 5/16 tsp per gallon was where I ended up without burning any of the varieties. I guess arb's varieties were strong enough feeders to handle 1/2 tsp per gallon but mine, at least, with my well water at 230 ppm was overfeeding. That sunshine mix is some awesome stuff, I'll be putting it in my garden so the peat will break down and feed the worms next year.

The Orange Hill Special is the best variety I've grown managing 23% yield on rosin, I've never grown it with this much success so I am hoping the yields will be similar though this pheno I dont think is the same as my last effort, that had really green buds with a lot more orange hairs, this expressed a lot of darker hues like I saw with my auto orange bud by the same breeder. Perhaps this one had more of the orange bud dominance than the californian orange. We'll see if these others take OHS's crown! She smells nice but she's still only cut down 1 day so I expect she'll start to get more pungent. Sadly that was my last seed and I wasn't really in a position to clone her. My next effort won't include OHS.

The church has a nice smell going to it very skunky has some sweetness guessing that's coming from the Erdbeer side.

The bruce banger I will have to see what I think of it after seeing the mold pop up, it's a little surprising in my arid climate. None of the others had any issues.

Cheese is very ordinary looking bud, very green and frosty, not much character, stinks though, so I guess there's that =) I am thinking she's going to be a good yielder though. Lotta foxtailing guess it's coming from our low RH or possibly genetics.

I learned a lot this go around, will let you all know how the potency pans out.

The Church all harvested. Dried in 6 days, wish it could have gone longer but the RH is a bit difficult for me to control right now so it is what it is, should still be good as they didnt dry as fast as I've had before in the past (3 days !!). The jar smells really stinky =) Filled a half gallon jar about 2/3 full, this was the late to the party girl and also didn't get topped as much as the other three. Not a whole lot of dry sift from trimming but looks good quality.

Easy to trim variety, not a ton of leaf.
20191002_185426.jpg

4.5g top
20191002_191434.jpg

Dry sift
20191002_195242.jpg

Need a smaller jar. Not positive if these over dried or not so have a boost 62% in with them until tomorrow at least.
20191002_195910.jpg

Not positive if these over dried or not so have a boost 62% in with them until tomorrow at least.

You will never know now! I would have just sealed it and checked in a couple of hours what the humidity actually was with your gauge before worrying about Boost or Boveda packs, but I own 20 odd humidity gauges and want to use them.
I think bigger is better when it comes to burping/curing as it gives a space to off-gas in and a larger volume of air to displace with a fan, no proven results I just like the sound of it and would love a CVault or 2 for the job before vacuum mason jarring with Boveda and oxy sorb.
1570070093991.png

Just got an ad for this in my mail box, 15% off with code CVAULT2019, must resist, for now, maybe a couple of smaller ones might be better.

RH after an hour is only 39% =( It is super super dry here RH was as low as 12% mid day.

I sampled one of the buds, very nice effects, just a tiny little bud which I expected was maybe 0.1g ended up being 0.28g. Ground up to a bit of a powder so I expect the RH in the buds are pretty low, maybe the large tops are not so bad.

Weighed the harvest, my cut out in the trellis is 1.5x1.5' and the yield was 74g for that space. They advertise this strain at 800g m/2, I am at 0.21 m/2, so I guess this yielding about half of what the breeder claims, maybe it's because of the unexpected flip to flower and not being ready, or because it was about 5 weeks from seed during flip instead of 6 like the others?

20191002_204216[1].jpg

12% humidity! Yikes! Yeah, hard to dry slow when it's that dry. Your harvest looks great. Quality over quantity, don't worry about the numbers. (other than that low RH) Nice job! How long do you wait before you can press it?

I'm with @LesPlenty, I like a large container. CVault's a bit out of my price range, though. I use a large SS stockpot with lid. It's not airtight or for longterm storage. I use it to slowly lower and stabilize overall dryness before jarring. It seems to work pretty well for me.

@Moses Baca Thanks! I'll begin pressing once I see the rh at about 60-62 in the jars stable. If it's too harsh I'll give them a month and try again.

I have some cvaults but actually don't prefer them to the jars anymore, they let a lot of stink out. I have a few different sizes from huge to xsmall. The xsmall are great for weekend camping trips. The big ones I wish I had my money back.

The big ones I wish I had my money back.
Oh, I wish you were in shipping distance! I would not try long term storage in the big CVault, just the first month of the curing stage, opening, burping and resealing 12 to 30 mason jars a day can get tiresome, so no good for even that by the sound of it...hmm

74g for that space

It will be a fair bit more once you get them to 62% RH, you may need extra Boveda packs or have to rehydrate the packs (horror of horrors some might say)

Oh, I wish you were in shipping distance! I would not try long term storage in the big CVault, just the first month of the curing stage, opening, burping and resealing 12 to 30 mason jars a day can get tiresome, so no good for even that by the sound of it...hmm

It will be a fair bit more once you get them to 62% RH, you may need extra Boveda packs or have to rehydrate the packs (horror of horrors some might say)

They were around 43% RH this morning after all night with a 60 gram boost 62, room was like 59F. May just put them in the large cvault with another 60 gram boost. Dangit, and my orange hill special is starting to feel real dry too and she's only been cut 4 days, maybe 1 or 2 more days at the most.

RH after an hour is only 39% =( It is super super dry here RH was as low as 12% mid day.

I sampled one of the buds, very nice effects, just a tiny little bud which I expected was maybe 0.1g ended up being 0.28g. Ground up to a bit of a powder so I expect the RH in the buds are pretty low, maybe the large tops are not so bad.

Weighed the harvest, my cut out in the trellis is 1.5x1.5' and the yield was 74g for that space. They advertise this strain at 800g m/2, I am at 0.21 m/2, so I guess this yielding about half of what the breeder claims, maybe it's because of the unexpected flip to flower and not being ready, or because it was about 5 weeks from seed during flip instead of 6 like the others?

View attachment 13532

Most of the seed producer claims on yields and harvest times are not accurate. More like a best case scenario, lol.

And then there's the environment. Plant root size, age, available light, temperature, fertilizer, humidity all figure in.

I was surprised at the timing on these 4 varieties, seem to be pretty much on point with breeder recommendation, the yields however not so much though I was actually impressed that small plant yielded 2.5oz bone dry buds. Potency seems to be on par with their report, around 20%? My auto's were 10-15% and I can tell a pretty big difference in effects. Cant wait to press some of this out!

I can see how bad your water is by the white stains left behind on the green netting in that last picture.
If you want better yields, FILTER that shit out of your water and use a decent quality 2 part nutrient, I will not say this again in case @arb is listening.

Here is Orange Hill Special, my favorite :love::weed: all harvested. First sampling of the medicine is good, not as racy as my last effort so I am thinking I pulled that one too early, this one feels great a nice 50/50 effect, balanced, classic skunk effects with orange taste. Still tastes green, and I got this one before it was too dry, looking to be mid to high 50's so better that I trimmed this one a day earlier than I did the church. Just shy of 3oz dry off a 1.5x1.5' square area using about 125W.

Going to let the trim dry out overnight and sift tomorrow.

Stinky bouquet
20191004_180351.jpg

20191004_181800.jpg

2.5g top
20191004_190253.jpg
20191004_201833.jpg

2 more and done for a bit.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back