Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Garden Thread

Ooo we jus bought a peperomia lillian..

20210814_172407.jpg

Can never have enough house plants....

It's time to propagate some Begonias.

20210827_145447.jpg

This one was started a few weeks ago and two tiny leaves have now emerged. In a few more weeks I'll pot it up and treat it as an established plant. Until then these get covered to create a humid environment.

20210827_145824.jpg

Here are a couple of Titanopsis or commonly known as Concrete Plant. They are slow growing warty succulents that bear daisy like flowers.

20210906_151734.jpg

20210906_151823.jpg

And here's another strange succulent, Sedum Multiceps or Miniature Joshua Tree. It freely branches out on its own and grows very slowly.

20210906_152147.jpg

I had a nice little maple growing along the shore. This morning I noticed it was down and wondered, though unlikely, if maybe one of the recent storms knocked it over. Nope, some member of the abundant beaver population living in the pond used it to grind down his teeth.

20211020_105907.jpg

Greenovia or Rose Succulent are in the Aeonium family and resemble green roses. They are Dornant through the summer and during this time their leaves curl up into a tight rosebud formation. While dormant they can be cleaned up by removing the previous year's dried up chaff or left as is. In the fall they open up once again to reveal a rose like succulent.

20210626_115306.jpg

20210626_120301.jpg

20211115_113757.jpg

Greenovia or Rose Succulent are in the Aeonium family and resemble green roses. They are Dornant through the summer and during this time their leaves curl up into a tight rosebud formation. While dormant they can be cleaned up by removing the previous year's dried up chaff or left as is. In the fall they open up once again to reveal a rose like succulent.

View attachment 31652

View attachment 31651

View attachment 31650
So beautiful, I see your into succulents. Have you tried growing Lophophora williamsii , peyote ? I'm told it takes an extremely long time to mature, 13 years. It's a beautiful plant, Any information would be cool .

Have you tried growing Lophophora williamsii , peyote

I have a few spineless cactus varieties but none as far as I know, are Peyote. Everything I know about Peyote came from reading Carlos Castaneda books in the 70s.

I'll show you some pics of my various cactus soon but quite a few were purchased unnamed. Other than a peripheral knowledge of their care I know very little about them.

Here are pics of a few of the cacti in my care. The first two are both over 20 years old. They were purchased as those tiny cactus offered for a couple bucks. Neither have flowered for me.

Monstrose Apple Cactus (cereus peruvianus monstrose)

20211203_100641.jpg

I purchased this one unnamed, again as a tiny specimen a couple decades ago. The spines are big strong and sharp.

20211203_100838.jpg

This originally came to me as a cutting from a friend about 20 years ago. It is a fast grower as far as cacti go and it flowers. Once a year a huge bud appears suddenly and opens up into a giant white nocturnal flower for one night only. Snooze and you loose. My original cutting fell over amd broke several years ago, so I plucked off the babies and potted them up and they've grown into the bouquet you see below. I believe it is a type of Cereus cactus.

20211203_100944.jpg

This is a recent acquisition. A Stenocactus Multicostatus.

20211203_104936.jpg

So got a new plant shelf and new led lights to help them through winter...

20220101_190910.jpg

We buy alot of cuttings to avoid cost.. so hopefully this will accelerate things..
They have definitely perked up since having them....
Anyone else use grow lights in winter ?????

Here are pics of a few of the cacti in my care. The first two are both over 20 years old. They were purchased as those tiny cactus offered for a couple bucks. Neither have flowered for me.

Monstrose Apple Cactus (cereus peruvianus monstrose)

View attachment 31997

I purchased this one unnamed, again as a tiny specimen a couple decades ago. The spines are big strong and sharp.

View attachment 31998

This originally came to me as a cutting from a friend about 20 years ago. It is a fast grower as far as cacti go and it flowers. Once a year a huge bud appears suddenly and opens up into a giant white nocturnal flower for one night only. Snooze and you loose. My original cutting fell over amd broke several years ago, so I plucked off the babies and potted them up and they've grown into the bouquet you see below. I believe it is a type of Cereus cactus.

View attachment 31999

This is a recent acquisition. A Stenocactus Multicostatus.

View attachment 32000
Absolutely stunning cacti :thumbsup: :love:.
Speaking of nocturnal blooms, we have a type of San Pedro that grows crazy wild down here, it too is a night bloomer.

IMG_0868 Morning Beauty.JPG

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back