Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Garden Thread

So you've had good luck buying through mail order? I've always been hesitant...
I've had pretty good luck buying roots through mail order. The advantage is that they often carry a more extensive variety that what is available at the local nurseries. Veseys carries about half a dozen red peony varieties, for example. Typically all plants are guaranteed to grow that season. Whatever doesn't make it is noted, then I call them with the list of failed starts and they issue a refund. It's never a problem. I love leafing through the catalogues during the cold winter months, picking out roots to order.

You said that early blooms fade as new buds form... do you find this variety to bloom longer than the others?
Not really. Some bloom a bit earlier or later but they all seem to last for the same duration.

And what are your tricks for planting those roots? In pots first; then once they take you put them into the ground?
For tough plants like peonies, I just plant the tuber in good soil with the top about two inches below the soil. New roots are watered regularly the first season, then they are often left to fend for themselves. It's near impossible to kill a peony.

Roots produce much smaller plants than a potted plant from a nursery so you may need to wait a few seasons for the plant to bloom; it depends on the type of perennial. Some bloom the first season. But mail order roots, especially when purchased on sale are less than half the price of potted nursery plants, so you get more for your buck if you're willing to wait for them to grow. It's a great way to landscape large areas.

More tender roots are soaked in warm water upon arrival and then potted up, watered and kept in a sheltered and shared location. Within a few weeks, the plants are up and when they are showing a good amount of growth, I'll plant them in their forever flower bed and will continue to water them for the rest of the season.

Where, pray tell, did you get the seed?
The mother tree lives in the village at the base of the mountain. I'll grab a picture of it. After the flowers, long seed pods form all over the tree. Northern Catalpa seeds are very easy to start. I have two of them. They grow quickly, form very interesting, narled trucks, have big leaves, attractive flowers followed by long seed pods. They are attractive trees all through the summer. The only negative is that they are one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring and they are always dropping spent flowers, bean pods and later in the fall, those big giant leaves. So they should be planted in a spot where their litter won't be an eyesore.

Last edited:
This is the mother tree to my little baby Northern Catalpas. I love how the trunk gets twisty and narled.
Notice the discarded blooms on the ground. Next it will grow very large, long seed pods that will dangle from the limbs like Xmas decorations until they will finally fall, again littering the ground.
20190713_124309.jpg

Happy Trails ground cover roses. I have a dozen of these planted along my side drive. Planted from small roots, this is their third season.
20190707_142823.jpg

20190707_142723.jpg

Spent Globe Master Allium flowers against a small Purple Smoke tree . The Smoke tree formed flower buds this year for the first time, but the deer ate them before they bloomed. Beside the Smoke tree is a small tree peony that I planted last fall. The single large flower that it produced this spring was stunning but I didn't get a picture of it. Just the seed pods remains and awaits deadheading.
20190707_140435.jpg

Edit: apologies for the double post.....I got carried away!

It's amazing what a little water will do with plants.... :dog:

Last year I almost lost all my plants in my urns twice when the watering system failed during the hottest weeks of summer (and of course I was out of town). With the rain this year we've hardly had to use our system. You can barely see the pedestal to the urn.
IMG_5860.JPG

It's a jungle out there!

IMG_5861.JPG

It's amazing what a little water will do with plants.... :dog:

Last year I almost lost all my plants in my urns twice when the watering system failed during the hottest weeks of summer (and of course I was out of town). With the rain this year we've hardly had to use our system. You can barely see the pedestal to the urn.
View attachment 11580

It's a jungle out there!

View attachment 11581
It's just lovely, @momofthegoons. A paradise to vape in.

It's been a fantastic fall around these parts. The peak of color has passed but there is still some to enjoy. This Burning Bush is still hanging on. I planted it beside the old barn the day I took possession of the property. It was just a tiny thing and it fit in the truck of my sports car. It's not a big bush but it has grown a lot. The barn doors are 12' high for comparison.

I LOVE the fall. I think it's my favourite season.
IMG_20191025_115731.jpg

IMG_20191025_115805_kindlephoto-316625798.jpg

Sweet corn and red corn
Blueberry tomatoes, black krim, honey drops and Roma toms
Carolina reaper chilli
Carrots, silverbeet, beetroot, Pak choy, broccoli, capsicum, zucchini, broadbeans
Onions, Spanish onions, garlic
Strawberries
Passionfruit
Things growing......as much as they can with water restrictions in place
20191202_182833.jpg
20191202_182832.jpg
20191202_182823.jpg
20191202_182819.jpg

So there's hope for me?

My yard is still covered in snow. But I did order garden seeds.
Not sure... I just heard the weather forecast for Sunday... possibly 2 - 3 inches of snow. Sigh.... so much for those flowers lol...

But I have a hunch that this might be one of those early and hot summers. Nothing concrete to base it on lol... just a feeling. Guess we'll see.

But you live in Paradise @ataxian. What would you do with Winter?
I was down the street from the satue of some famous writer who fished in the SEA of CORTEZ. (He was from NORTHERN CALIFORNIA)
The waiter gave me compliment’s about SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?
Many from other places make fun of where I live?

My oldest son free dive’s there.(MEXICO)
Mostly home.(not north but it’s home?)
No winter where I reside?
GOLFING in the SOUTH the people made fun of my shirt’s? (US however other location’s no comment?)

Last edited:
A few days ago, we had a nice day and I went into the back part of the yard to check things out. Not being able to go out has meant no fresh flowers in the house so I decided to clip some forsythia branches and force them in the house. And promptly forgot that I had done it.

So I'm rounding the corner and something catches my eye today....

IMG_6666.JPG

These days, it's the little things like this that brighten a day. I know it made mine.

A few days ago, we had a nice day and I went into the back part of the yard to check things out. Not being able to go out has meant no fresh flowers in the house so I decided to clip some forsythia branches and force them in the house. And promptly forgot that I had done it.

So I'm rounding the corner and something catches my eye today....

View attachment 17526

These days, it's the little things like this that brighten a day. I know it made mine.
Thank you for such a wonderful web site!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back