Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapes no longer in production
Hi, I'm a new member. I read a few pages of this thread and liked what I saw. Wanted to share my positive experience with HL.

I've been frustrated a few times, had 4-5 warranty repairs in 5 years, but HL has come thru every time for me.

I'm guessing I've had 20-30,000 excellent hits during this time. Spent $200 originally IN 2016, then another $85 to upgrade to the io in 2020. Bought a few extra batteries and replaced the mouthpiece.

It's pretty easy to figure out what device is most satisfying. My other vaporizers waste weed, stink like hell, and don't provide as good a hit.

Based on my experience, the io is extremely functional and an incredible bargain that pays for itself again and again.

There are several issues to consider before buying one. An extra effort is required initially, there is a learning curve to overcome. Keeping it clean is very easy but it might seem difficult at first. Also, HL is notoriously slow to respond.

I was on another site where folks were were waiting a long time for colored Ti units and parts, and they were pretty upset, but I've been happy with SS. International users were also having problems due to unbearable wait times.

I temp step from 220° to 430° and always get 11 good hits per 0.19g load. The first low temp hit is mostly terpenoids. I weighed the blackish ABV numerous times and I'm seeing a +/-40% reduction to 0.11g. At 16-17 hits/day an ounce will last me 3 months with the io. In short, I'm using less weed but enjoying it more than ever before.

This thing also enables me to go 100% undetected while enjoying pure vapor, everywhere. I live with folks who don't wanna smell it, etc. Gotta love it.

Sorry for the long post. I am happy to give a positive review when it's deserved.

Last edited:
Those who have had good units
I've had three good units in five years. All three had at least one failure but all parts are easily replaceable (this is obvious, assuming it's a SS unit inside the U.S.).

Having said that, I'm aware that lots of folks have had a bad experience with HL. A few have a continuous string of bad experiences.

HL is interesting. Somehow surviving with approximately 11 employees. The lifetime warranty sounds impossible. To my knowledge there isn't another warranty like it.

With 20/20 hindsight, they offered too many different Ti models, a variety of colors with a stronger 70w element, before the original design was fully debugged. I'm guessing this instantly created serious inventory problems for a small company barely surviving.

Plus, HL is famous for relaxed service standards. That's their choice. I've learned to live with it. Maybe I've just been lucky numerous times, maybe there are other reasons why things don't always work out. I recommend maintaining a friendly relationship with HL. Good (and friendly) communication skills will help.

I suspect that the device needs to be used in a certain way. A certain percentage of folks have problems related to the cleaning procedure. I received no instructions with my io, and the instructions I received 5 years ago were insufficient. Some folks just aren't mechanically inclined, or willing to learn the tedious procedure, they might be better suited for a (nasty) disposable cartridge pen. The io vaporizes raw flower, so these things absolutely will plug up and stop generating heat (and seem super frustrating) after 2-3 months if you don't learn how to pick resin (boogers) out of the mouthpiece.

Nope, the io will not work for everyone. I really wish it could so EVERYONE could enjoy the continuous stream of heavy vapor that I enjoy. I own a desktop vaporizer that produces similar vapor. It's easier to use but it requires more weed.

Maybe someone reading this will have questions on how to use it. I'm no expert, always willing to learn and share.

Not trying argue, but it truly is an amazing device with an amazing warranty if you can figure out how to use it (long-term). Haven't seen anything that compares, and it still comes with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
I am still one of the rare ones... that has never had a problem since acquiring the unit in early 2020.
Almost 2 years and it's still flawless.. in fact I have never had to use the spare batteries that I got, and am still on the original battery.
I have an IO that is also perfect, but I do not use it, because I prefer the colored charging lights for their visibility.
I've seen all of the issues, and they made me nervous, but I never actually experienced any issue.
I will admit that I ordered a front end... and it took many months to get it.

I have had one good GH…my OG purchase…and for or five RMAs and haven’t had a good working one yet and it’s not due to not knowing how to clean the MP assembly.

While my OG was superb while it lasted, I will not do the dance again w the dunces that run HL.

Just my position on it and them. Not trying to sell anyone on my way of looking at it.

I have had one good GH…my OG purchase…and for or five RMAs and haven’t had a good working one yet and it’s not due to not knowing how to clean the MP assembly.

While my OG was superb while it lasted, I will not do the dance again w the dunces that run HL.

Just my position on it and them. Not trying to sell anyone on my way of looking at it.

HL came out with a unique product, then they offered a lifetime warranty and too many supportable variations. They've been thru a lot but somehow survived.

Too many issues to list looking back. Looking forward, every issue should be manageable for any U.S. citizen wanting a SS io.

Despite all of the problems, I can't imagine life without my io. As I said above, my io arrived almost 16 months ago and has paid for itself several times by stretching my weed. Besides efficiency, there's something about raw convection heat instantly flowing thru a load of good weed that makes everything okay.

I'm not finding a comparable portable device with a similar warranty.

Incidentally, I think it helps to remain calm when dealing with HL. A warranty request should be concise and friendly, maybe 2-3 short sentences. They will respond.

I wish all grasshopper users a nice day. If you're like me (old, etc,) you started your day early with strong black coffee and strong sativa.

Last edited:
I prefer the standard mouthpiece but this looks like a pretty good deal.
Screenshot_20211123-110419.png

I finally had my IO start to fail on water
Still works dry as you don't push the heater as hard
On a bong it starts to flash and you have to turn it off and on again mid draw

Time to send it in for a warranty and wait for how ever many months/year to get it back again

My spare OG has also decided to spit the dummy at the same time

This is one of my fav vapes when it works + especially the IO
But 18 months of use before haviuto send it back is not good enough imo
Lifetime warranty is great, having to use it so often is not

Anyway I got a year and a half there abouts this round with the IO
At least I'll get it back one day

My dv with wand has been a good replacement for the hit and clouds recently and will get me through

Taking bets now on how long the OG takes to come back and on how long the IO takes to come back
Lol

I guess my original mighty went in for a warranty before two years was up, the replacement still works fine but doesn't get used as much - and there's no more warranty on it now

Anyway
Updates for anyone watching or interested

IO gave me 18 months and now it's going back for return utilising the lifetime guarantee

On another vaping forum I frequent, several people (2-3) who had been bashing HL for decreasing performance were able to unplug their heater screens and regain full performance.

It wasn't easy according to reports, some were able to remove the entire chamber/heater assembly for cleaning, and a few partially submerged a unit, chamber first, up to the intake ports to soak and swish in 91% ISO (after removal of battery, etc.).

I'm not necessarily recommending this, but it's something for the serious grasshopper enthusiast to consider before sending it in for an indeterminate period.

I do recommend making sure it's unplugged whenever it's unloaded, because this is the most likely cause of inadequate heating. Folks are finding heater screens mostly plugged off with sticky fines.

If you can't draw air thru the mouthpiece and the intake ports easily, it won't work right. The heater only works when air is flowing freely.

I'm in my 6th year with grasshoppers, almost 17 months with the io. It's my understanding the turnaround time is pretty slow these days. Anyone get one repaired recently?

My OG Grasshopper from years ago still works perfectly... and in spite of a stash of batteries, I am still on the original battery.
I use the unit for about 2 sessions a day.
It works so well that I have not even used my IO, which has been sitting for a year still sealed.
My only interaction with the company was to buy a top cover with wide mouth.
That took a little bit over 3 months. (100 days!)
I don't know if this is still the case as I never worked with them again.
(The main reason I love the OG more, is the colored lights... I can see from across the room that the charge is done!)

Time to send it in for a warranty and wait for how ever many months/year to get it back again
Sorry to hear this.

But wow, same shit/different day with Hopper Labs.

And, I have in the past tried everything to keep my two OG GH's running including the ISO up to the heater intake level. Its probably still up there on FC but there was a resource with a long list of things to try....almost to the level of burning incense and sacrificing a small lizard to the GH Gods. None of it really did a fucking thing except sell a LOT of Blue Tack! haha

Cheers

Tried this vape. Though not any produced recently. Vapor was full but but hot ... this & the other on going issues turned me off.

Hard thing to spend upper end money on a nice vape that many seem to still have issue with.

Last edited:
Bastards haven't even answered my warranty request this time
Been a few months
They are obviously getting worse with their reply times and work rate

This company is a dud
Love my working IO but now I cbf

Great unit when it works - really good on a bong
Company sucks big ones

Company sucks big ones
Not for much longer, their parent company (registered at the same address) has officially shut down and you can now only add batteries to your cart on the Hopper site...might be a good idea to grab a spare battery before they close altogether. :myday:

Not for much longer, their parent company (registered at the same address) has officially shut down and you can now only add batteries to your cart on the Hopper site...might be a good idea to grab a spare battery before they close altogether. :myday:
That's why they haven't replied about my warranties for 6 months

I'd say they are on the way out
They have made a motza off people selling products that are bound to break eventually

Guess I have some paper weights lol
Glad I got the refund over a year ago for the charger and case etc

I might buy a battery or two to see if it fixes my hoppers
Otherwise I've already given up on them and haven't been hassling the company as much as the past

The best portable vape when it worked properly
Reliability and the company suck dogs balls lol

What annoys the living shite out of me is that I've found THE vape for me and bongs (corded) and I hate that company too - why do shit people make the best vapes lol
At least my new love has no parts that will break and will keep running so it doesn't matter how shit the company and lack of warranty is

Fug HL as a staff, record label and a muthafuggin crew, and if you wanna be down with HL, then fug you too.....
Lol - not really the last line, you can love HL, just quoting 2pac hahaha

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back