Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Curing

I live in the world of illegal weed still

There is no way in hell these guys cure the bud properly for months

They have to grow harvest dry and get it the f to market as quick as possible

One so they can fill supply demands, two so they don't get busted with a warehouse of drying product

It is prob dried for a week or two max I reckon

I do put mine in jars to "cure" it myself once received
Often it is not near 62% and takes some time for me to get it there
It is fine for instant smoking
It vapes okay but gets better as it dries more
I take some and put aside to dry quicker for squishing purposes and testing too

So, I don't know about in a legal country if they store and cure properly in house - you would hope they do just like with whiskey etc

But it is very possible to push your weed out after initial drying without curing properly and still have a viable product

It is the only way they can do so on a large scale here

Smaller more private growers can take the time to cure it over time

This is simply not true.
Instand bathtub gin is soo much better than 12-year-old scotch:rofl:
I agree with @felvapes , unless you do for self you will get less than ideal bud straight up, no cured bud around here for sale.:thumbsup:

I'm in the same boat too. It's not legal here either, not yet anyway.

I'd be interested to know if commercial operations in places like Colorado have matured enough to enable month long cures. I'd be surprised. Tobacco and Alcohol industry has been around for a very long time. Commercial weed not so.

Some places claim to cure for X months, it's hard to say, anything I've got at a dispensary wasn't handled nearly as good as what I grow. I talked with one of the caregivers they harvest weekly, and cure for 4 weeks then they sell it to the patients. Their flower was pretty exceptional but the price was too, at the time it was $150oz which was about 1/3 more than nearby caregivers. Most of the flower smells like it's only been cured the least amount acceptable to not get complaints. The marked down flower is usually older. I've seen them stored with humidipacks in jars and bags, the jars are usually for the customers and the big bags are what they fill the jars from. Some flower is super dry, I rehydrated some that I got up in denver that was 45% RH when I jarred it at home, brought a little life back into it but I think any hope of curing it at that point was over.

One of our better MMJ growers here in MD....GreenLeaf....did a vid interview with a local station and its posted on YouTube.

In it he said that they are curing 10-14 days ("minimum"), would like to cure longer, but that market demands are driving them. Now, this was last June so maybe things have eased up and they are curing longer....but I doubt it.

A good read on curing hemp flower. I would guess this would work for cannabis flower as well.

https://berkshirecbd.com/artisan-hemp-bud-must-receive-a-proper-cure/

Drying and curing CBD flower is really no different. Growers want their flower to dry at a slow pace at moderate temperatures. Top-shelf hemp flower has enticing terpene flavors and CBD potency that growers want to capture. Artisan hemp vendors, like Berkshire CBD, say that all of their premium hemp flower is 60-day cured to bring out all of the complexities of the terpene flavor profiles. Simply stated, slow curing is used to coax the very best flavors and highest cannabinoid levels possible from the flower.

Drying and curing hemp at high temperatures in areas with warm, forced air from a furnace will result in product that burns less evenly and has harsher smoke with inferior flavor.

Mason jars play a vital role in the curing process, with a proper “jar cure” being the desired end result. Dried flower goes into the Mason jars until they are about ¾ full (wide-mouth quart jars with colored glass are the best). Then, seal the jars and place them in a dry, cool location. For the next week, open them for a minute or so a few times per day and gently redistribute the flower within. This allows remaining moisture to escape. The buds should not feel overly dry to the touch. Some people prefer to open the jars once per day for 10 minutes. The following 10 days, open and close the jars briefly each day. Then leave them sealed.

So are you a part a of a commercial operation or something?
Just trying to understand your point of view .

I think we all agree here that a proper cure makes for better medicine, period.

If it’s my own harvest I Vape that right after it dries for a week, I don’t really care. However, the taste and smell are much better after a month cure.
Let us not spin this topic?
% of moisture is the method I use!
Use what you want?

I go by % of moisturizer for curing.
Not day’s?
We are on PLANET EARTH so we can grow outside with the natural environment. (If your are properly located?)
If you live where you are challenged by your environment then grow inside and copy nature!

I take this approach?

There is not a right way or wrong way.
Just a way?
I wasn’t saying any approach is wrong or right, all I was saying is that I think we all agree that properly cured cannabis makes for the best medicine.

It's an online forum Ataxian thoughts are what we post.

This is a great topic because a proper cure is a big part of ensuring a high quality finished product. The commercial element is an important sub topic IMO.

30 years ago we had never heard of cured bud. But we use to purchase bags of buried weed and it was very sort after. Growers would store excess bud buried in the ground (in mostly air tight containers) and this would lead to an excellent cured final product . Well in most cases anyway. Somethings it would end up a mouldy mess. They were helcion days.

As I understand it, ‘curing’ is only possible by slowly drying: it’s an artifact of the drying process, and if the herb dries ‘too quickly’, then the chemical changes that accompany the slow loss of moisture are cut off...which means that ‘rehydration’ won’t restart the curing process, or allow it to finish. Once it’s dry enough for the process to stop, then it’s done, the end.

Lots and lots of different ways to accomplish that, some work better than others, some work better *for* others...I see it as kinda like trying to get a baby to fall asleep: trying to make it happen is likely to prevent it...and knowing *how* to interfere with it may be the key.

Of course, this is just me thinking about things I’ve read and heard, so I’m totally prepared to be wrong, wrong, wrong....

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back