Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Dabs and Slabs

Looks very nice...if I remember correctly, you are in the DC area???
Yes. But the strains look like Colorado to me.

Working on the Strawberry Banana this morning. And took 10 minutes to type this far.

Awesome.

:partyhat:

Peace!

Peace everyone.

Homemade wet2straight Green Haze rosin. Pressed a few buds to get a taste, the flower is a bit sativa heavy for me.

Two hits of the rosin from the Torch and I'm lit.

So going to try 6'ish hits or so, of course...

Peace!

1121172152.jpg

I'm no longer a fan of slabs, but here's some photos of some crystalline Chemmy Jones live resin grown at ECC, frozen within minutes of harvest, processed with mixed hydrocarbon extraction within 24 hours, with crystal growth and purging taking about another week and a half - finished yesterday.

ChMp0Myh.jpg

cLT2Gg1h.jpg

RNtjpIyh.jpg

Hoping for THCA in the low 90's and a few percentage points of terpenes in there :)

Cheers everyone, and happy holidaze!

I'm no longer a fan of slabs, but here's some photos of some crystalline Chemmy Jones live resin grown at ECC, frozen within minutes of harvest, processed with mixed hydrocarbon extraction within 24 hours, with crystal growth and purging taking about another week and a half - finished yesterday.

ChMp0Myh.jpg

cLT2Gg1h.jpg

RNtjpIyh.jpg

Hoping for THCA in the low 90's and a few percentage points of terpenes in there :)

Cheers everyone, and happy holidaze!

Wow, wow, WOW!! So, is this a product being made for commercial sale (and if so, what state?) or is this your own personal extraction?

I have never seen anything like this before.

1. Wow, wow, WOW!! So, is this a product being made for commercial sale (and if so, what state?) or is this your own personal extraction?
I have never seen anything like this before.
Yes sir it is a recreationally legal product, it’ll be for sale in shops across Washington State in about a week, week and a half.

It’s also for my own personal consumption as I get to sample the fruits of my labor to ensure quality before any batch goes out to stores. :smile:

Live resin is turning up in all of the local dispensaries here in Michigan as well. It's become my favorite concentrate after rosin. But it's so darn expensive. @SamuraiSam is it more expensive to process than BHO or other types of extracts?

Edit to add: I forgot to say how lovely your resin looks.... I admit I drooled a little. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yes sir it is a recreationally legal product, it’ll be for sale in shops across Washington State in about a week, week and a half.

It’s also for my own personal consumption as I get to sample the fruits of my labor to ensure quality before any batch goes out to stores. :smile:
Beautiful. My state, Maryland, is opening the first dispensary with product tomorrow and the next opens on Sat. Its going to be very limited product selection at first and I don't expect any very high end concentrates. However, all of the processors here are teamed with out of state companies that have long experience...but I think its going to be a while before we see stuff like THAT.

Will it have a brand name...I do make it to WA on occasion.

I have dabbed live resin...but it wasn't crystallized like what you showed.

Beautiful work, Sam....really, really nice.

Want a house guest!:yikes: hahaha

Live resin is turning up in all of the local dispensaries here in Michigan as well. It's become my favorite concentrate after rosin. But it's so darn expensive. @SamuraiSam is it more expensive to process than BHO or other types of extracts?

Edit to add: I forgot to say how lovely your resin looks.... I admit I drooled a little. :biggrin:
Thanks for the compliment! So; you can make live resin with straight BHO, but you’ll get a lot more of the terpenes which are the reason for doing live resin in the first place if you extract with propane too. I use a mixture of both hydrocarbon solvents. The solvent mixture doesn’t affect the cost, but the fact that you are working with frozen material which MUST REMAIN COMPLETELY FROZEN the entire time it is being processed requires much more care and labor than processing dry material. Dry material can be prepared leisurely and sit at room temperature, while a cold room is needed to break down frozen buds, de-stem, and all material must be stored in freezers prior to prep, and after prep until it’s run. Another factor one must consider when working with frozen material is that since you didn’t let the herb dry before processing it, about 80-85% of the material loaded in to a column is water weight. If only 1/5th of the weight loaded in a column is extractable cannabis, you can only expect to yield 1/5th as much per run. So to make an equivalent amount of oil takes about 5 times as long, costs 5x the labor, and each run loses a bit of solvent trapped in material so you consume more solvent. These are some of the reasons live resin costs more.

Beautiful. My state, Maryland, is opening the first dispensary with product tomorrow and the next opens on Sat. Its going to be very limited product selection at first and I don't expect any very high end concentrates. However, all of the processors here are teamed with out of state companies that have long experience...but I think its going to be a while before we see stuff like THAT.

Will it have a brand name...I do make it to WA on occasion.

I have dabbed live resin...but it wasn't crystallized like what you showed.

Beautiful work, Sam....really, really nice.

Want a house guest!:yikes: hahaha
Thank you, thank you! I work for Emerald City Cultivation, ECC, based in Seattle. That’s the brand most of the products I make are sold under. Green Acres Pharms also sells a lot of our oil, and some of Elevate cannabis’s concentrates are made by us too. We’re on Instagram at @emeraldcitycultivation and available at retailers across the state.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment! So; you can make live resin with straight BHO, but you’ll get a lot more of the terpenes which are the reason for doing live resin in the first place if you extract with propane too. I use a mixture of both hydrocarbon solvents. The solvent mixture doesn’t affect the cost, but the fact that you are working with frozen material which MUST REMAIN COMPLETELY FROZEN the entire time it is being processed requires much more care and labor than processing dry material. Dry material can be prepared leisurely and sit at room temperature, while a cold room is needed to break down frozen buds, de-stem, and all material must be stored in freezers prior to prep, and after prep until it’s run. Another factor one must consider when working with frozen material is that since you didn’t let the herb dry before processing it, about 80-85% of the material loaded in to a column is water weight. If only 1/5th of the weight loaded in a column is extractable cannabis, you can only expect to yield 1/5th as much per run. So to make an equivalent amount of oil takes about 5 times as long, costs 5x the labor, and each run loses a bit of solvent trapped in material so you consume more solvent. These are some of the reasons live resin costs more.

Thank you, thank you! I work for Emerald City Cultivation, ECC, based in Seattle. That’s the brand most of the products I make are sold under. Green Acres Pharms also sells a lot of our oil, and some of Elevate cannabis’s concentrates are made by us too. We’re on Instagram at @emeraldcitycultivation and available at retailers across the state.
Thanks, Sam. I will be out in Seattle again this summer.....then driving up to Bellingham to visit with my former boss and her family...we are going dungeness crab fishing and camping out on some island (though my general idea of camping out is a Hilton at the beach LOL). I will look for some of it when out there.

Now, I have had sugared live resin....LOVED it....and it was indeed crystallized but it didn't look quite like those pics....great crystals and sauce all over them...and THC in the 90's! Nah, what I had did not quite measure up to this beautiful resin.

I've retired and have no interest in working again....but I am looking into volunteering (got a hospice job for one day a week) with some sort of MMJ operation. Would love to learn about extraction but have no idea if anybody would want a 65 y.o. volunteer. I have no desire to open a business, I'm not doing home hydrocarbon extractions, or anything else like that...I just want to learn so as to be able to better pass it on.

Since you work for an extraction lab, what do you think.....pretty unrealistic to think they would need/welcome a retired volunteer?

Thanks again, Sam....please continue to share your insights and experience on extraction with us.

Cheers

Man, enjoy Bellingham, I'm jealous. I lived there for many years, including majority of the time I worked for UP Tech. Fantastic town / mini city. Hopefully we'll be on the shelves at Satori in Bellingham by the time you visit. We'll also have our HTE vape carts for ease of use on a trip.

As far as a volunteer position in a lab, I couldn't answer for anyone other than myself, and the truth of the matter at my company, extraction is a very seriously physically demanding job, especially when we're with frozen material. You have to move a lot of weight of frozen weed, a lot of dry ice, heavy stainless steel components, etc. And, we cannot bring anyone aboard to wants to pass on everything they learn to share with others. You'll find that lot in extraction, especially as you move away from middle shelf stuff, to the 'high end' of whatever's in fashion this season- usually it's the stuff that only a few folks have figured out and the majority of extractors don't know how to make yet. We've no interest in bringing someone aboard who will share all our secrets with potential competitors, we are working in a structured business environment and are doing our best to make better quality products than the competition. Years back it was the shatteriest of shatter, a few years ago it was "really terpy" pull & snap (compared to shatter) and now that folks are gaining an appreciation for terpenes, these days it seems to be more liquidy, terpene heavy extracts, and some are really liking the crystalline THCa.

I share what I can, general procedures and some techniques, but specific parameters, details of our work flow, and a few other things we do are trade secrets, protected by an NDA for any employees coming to work in our lab.

Man, enjoy Bellingham, I'm jealous. I lived there for many years, including majority of the time I worked for UP Tech. Fantastic town / mini city. Hopefully we'll be on the shelves at Satori in Bellingham by the time you visit. We'll also have our HTE vape carts for ease of use on a trip.

As far as a volunteer position in a lab, I couldn't answer for anyone other than myself, and the truth of the matter at my company, extraction is a very seriously physically demanding job, especially when we're with frozen material. You have to move a lot of weight of frozen weed, a lot of dry ice, heavy stainless steel components, etc. And, we cannot bring anyone aboard to wants to pass on everything they learn to share with others. You'll find that lot in extraction, especially as you move away from middle shelf stuff, to the 'high end' of whatever's in fashion this season- usually it's the stuff that only a few folks have figured out and the majority of extractors don't know how to make yet. We've no interest in bringing someone aboard who will share all our secrets with potential competitors, we are working in a structured business environment and are doing our best to make better quality products than the competition. Years back it was the shatteriest of shatter, a few years ago it was "really terpy" pull & snap (compared to shatter) and now that folks are gaining an appreciation for terpenes, these days it seems to be more liquidy, terpene heavy extracts, and some are really liking the crystalline THCa.

I share what I can, general procedures and some techniques, but specific parameters, details of our work flow, and a few other things we do are trade secrets, protected by an NDA for any employees coming to work in our lab.
Yep Sam...that's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will look for your products in Bellingham and yes, it is wonderful there. Very nice place.

Yep Sam...that's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will look for your products in Bellingham and yes, it is wonderful there. Very nice place.
Sorry for being a bit of a downer! As more states come on, and more knowledge is spread, I am sure the wall will come down a little bit, there might be more opportunity for you to find a place where you can help out & play with concentrates once more of this industry becomes standardized.

Please give me a shout when you're going to head to the PNW. If you come through Seattle, I'm sure I could arrange a tour of our facility if you care to stop by so you can check out the lab and our grow, if you'd like.

If you come through Seattle, I'm sure I could arrange a tour of our facility if you care to stop by so you can check out the lab and our grow, if you'd like.

Whoa!! Now that's an offer I will not refuse. Yes, I expect to be in Seattle in the late July/early Aug time frame. I will reach out before hand and if this can be done without strain or aggravation, I would LOVE TO take a tour.

My state, Maryland, just opened its first MMJ dispensary last Fri. We have 15 'processor' licenses authorized and 12 of them have final licenses and should be in business now. I expect most, if not all, of the processors (this includes extraction processes) have some out of state team mate with experience and talent in this area. But I still expect it to take some time for them to come out with some real fire stuff.

I did stand in line to get a bit at the first dispensary opening and while they had some infused tablets (like infused breath mints??) there was no dabbable concentrates on offer yet. Soon, though, very soon I believe.

And thanks again for the offer. I will reach out by PM at the time and, as I said, if it can be done with no stress, then I would love it. If its a problem at all, no worries.

Cheeers

Sorry for being a bit of a downer!
I didn't get that at all from your post. It's understandable that labs would want to protect their tech. If you give away all your trade secrets, there's nothing to set you apart as a 'gold standard' in extracts. Which, from the looks of your resin, you are. :smile:

Oh Baron.... I just know you are going to have a blast if you get to tour.... what a great opportunity. There's something almost spiritual about seeing a large grow. :biggrin:

While I know some aren't fans of slab type concentrate, this stuff is pretty clean and tasty. Liberty Haze from therealtreesap

IMG_3349.jpg

I didn't get that at all from your post. It's understandable that labs would want to protect their tech. If you give away all your trade secrets, there's nothing to set you apart as a 'gold standard' in extracts. Which, from the looks of your resin, you are. :smile:

Oh Baron.... I just know you are going to have a blast if you get to tour.... what a great opportunity. There's something almost spiritual about seeing a large grow. :biggrin:

While I know some aren't fans of slab type concentrate, this stuff is pretty clean and tasty. Liberty Haze from therealtreesap

Yeah...I feel the same...no need for Sam to feel like he was a downer at all. Rather, it was an expected and reasonable response. But the invite...now that was above and beyond!! :-)

I'm sure that if I get a tour, it will be a highlight of my trip.

I like slab concentrates and that looks marvelous, darling, as do your nails! haha Pretty cool, Mom.

Last edited:
It's not that big of a secret. Sam pretty much says everything you need to know if you already have a good understanding of solvent extractions. Mixed hydrocarbon solvent blend for a wider polarity spectrum, everything performed extremely cold for an extreme dewax to minimize the amount of fats, waxes, and lipids pulled. Over time THCA begins crystallizing from supersaturation which is furthered by removing that non cannabinoid material, this concentrates the material potency wise, and aids in crystal growth, though you can still grow crystals without much of this tek. Starting material is key as is responsible and efficient handling of the plant material.

It's not that big of a secret.

Well, perhaps not but there seem to be many extraction companies who have yet to discover it. Certainly not demonstrated in my newly legal state of MD.

Took a trip to the dispensary yesterday to stock up for the holidaze.... one of the things I scooped was some Pure Power x Blue Cheese live resin from one of my favorite local extractionists Medie Edie. Love their edibles and their concentrates are pure fire.

IMG_3451.jpg
IMG_3452.jpg

Last edited:
Took a trip to the dispensary yesterday to stock up for the holidaze.... one of the things I scooped was some Pure Power x Blue Cheese live resin from one of my favorite local extractionists Medie Edie. Love their edibles and their concentrates are pure fire.

View attachment 1803 View attachment 1804
Beautiful. Have a wonderful Christmas, @momofthegoons and my best wishes for a healthy and joyous new year to all.

Peace everyone.

Sour Jack rosin, a quick .2g to get me going for more pressing later.

Done with the ole wet2straight, high5 rosin press is absolutely getting ordered in January.

:biggrin:

1229171757.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back