Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Accessories Dynavap And Other Induction Heaters

IMG_20190818_170044.jpg
IMG_20190809_124211.jpg
IMG_20190531_125741.jpg

All built around Pipes BB heaters.

Best looking IH around! Great job.

My coil broke on my last attempt, so I got a new one for @Madri-Gal and am trying again.
PHOTO_20190823_115516~2.jpg

Based on feedback from last time, I was told it's easier to just screw the ends of the induction coil into the blue box at the end there, and I see that's been done in other pictures, but it seems like the coil wire is too thick to fit in the slots. Do I need to shave it down, or was there an easier way there @felvapes @LesPlenty

My coil broke on my last attempt, so I got a new one for @Madri-Gal and am trying again.
View attachment 12408

Based on feedback from last time, I was told it's easier to just screw the ends of the induction coil into the blue box at the end there, and I see that's been done in other pictures, but it seems like the coil wire is too thick to fit in the slots. Do I need to shave it down, or was there an easier way there @felvapes @LesPlenty
Just unscrew the screws enough and you should be able to push it in the hole...
I wind the coil smaller a bit too

+1, make sure the screws are fully up and the coil will push in with a bit of effort and twisting. (I think I may have used a metal fingernail file to help a bit from memory, shaved a bit of the silver unplated coil ends)

Last edited:
The regular black box power supplies have fried my head. Had failures or they just don't work, it's as if they go into fault mode.
Moved onto to these LED drivers, this is 10a so nice and quick to the click.
I'll buy a 5a and an 8.5a to see how well they work and then try and work out enclosures for them.

That is why I run mine off batteries, the driver board can have as much power as it likes, this problem happens a lot when people use too small an amp capacity DC converter. The small $7 units want 10 amp to work properly, if you want different times to the click, change the coil wrap diameter or coil wraps.
I have not blown an IH yet but I have melted a battery holder that was powering it!

@LesPlenty I had a failure on a 5a, luckily it was a UK customer.
It was replaced with another 5a and works just fine.

It'd cost me a tenner to send a 7 quid PSU overseas.

I don't sell the power adapters because they haven't been reliable enough.

I had a customer struggling to find a PSU that would work with a Cocobolo I sent out. They sent the IH back so we could make sure it wasn't faulty.

Plugged into the 10a black box I have and it's fine so I ordered another, different make but rated the same and listed the same as suitable for LED's.

It goes straight into fault mode, I don't think it likes the inductive load.
They'll get my old one.

Something growers should be aware of is that not all timers like inductive loads either.

This new one is a true 10a driver, the time to click has shown me that. The 10a black box was slower.
Hopefully they will prove reliable enough to invest time in making enclosures for them.

7 quid PSU overseas.
I am sorry I misled you but I was referring to the $7 IH unit needing 10 amps to run happily, a decent linear 10 amp DC power supply will cost
more than a switch-mode transformer but I think the following link will explain why IH circuit boards fry a lot,
[
Brief points,
Each type of power supply operation has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. A switch-mode power supply is as much as 80% smaller and lighter than a corresponding linear power supply, but it generates high-frequency noise that can interfere with sensitive electronic equipment.
and,
Because the electrical noise is lower and easier to contain, a linear power supply is better suited for powering sensitive analog circuity.

I believe it is the MOSFET that carks it in the circuit board of the IH due to switch-mode converters.

@LesPlenty no misleading going on.
As for the cheap IH needing 10a to run happily I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion but they work just fine on 5a.
It's Pipes choice of power supply and no one has mentioned them being underpowered.
I'm moving away from them due to the hit and miss situation I've had when buying them.
If you've seen any reported problems with them please let me know as I'm keen to find a decent solution.

The eBay listing where I buy mine says in the listing,
Maximum power 120W(when 12V eddy-current heating)
And the next size up says,
Power Requirement: Less than 12V≥5A, Above 15V≥15A

Not quite 10 amps but could get pretty close when being used or abused in my case. I still think it is more to do with the switchmode power supplies causing some problems with some IH boards, I am pretty sure Pipes has custom boards with upgrades to those parts that fail on the cheapy units like I listed.
Can't beat a battery or linear(regulated) power supply for nice clean power for electronics (log vapes don't care what you feed them), it is like using modified sine wave inverters to run AC powered items from a battery, they will work...poorly and can damage sesitive equipment, that is why I use Puer sine wave inverters, usually more stablee than the house AC powerpoint.
I also see my link for the small one I have been using for a while now no longer posts to Australia...bugger!

Mag Heater

Does anyone own this one? How is it? I'm In the States so what battery do I need? The one listed isn't in the USA Amazon.
I haven't seen this one before
It is expensive though
Looks flashy, but it would want to do a lot more than just heat my vc for that price!!!
I'm not sure what battery it needs, does the Amazon link they give post to you in US even though it isn't Amazon US?

Or try google or eBay the numbers etc of the battery in the title on the Amazon link they provide

Yeah, too expensive, get a @Pipes or @phattpiggie unit for a tried and tested unit.
You could also try a SJK pretty cheap or home built for really cheap.

Yeah, too expensive, get a @Pipes or @phattpiggie unit for a tried and tested unit.
You could also try a SJK pretty cheap or home built for really cheap.
Sjk for desktop is best price - $60 aud
Homemade is best price for portable - $10-15 aud

For premades the above mentioned are both known good options depending on your budget, definitely better price than a mag heater that you also have to buy a battery for

those @phattpiggie enclosures look awesome ... i have the @Pipes caldron and i just ordered a portside mini ... i'm sure i'll love it just as much as my caldron!

I have a PSM
It is a good product
I wouldn't buy the same if doing over though
My $10 homemade jobbie works fine and actually tastes better due to slower heat time
If purchasing a unit because I wanted a bought one I would probably go with @phattpiggie as the wooden enclosures look beautiful and have had some work put into them
There's also the one @momofthegoons has recently been sharing but I forgot the seller made of wood

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back