Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Growing is so relaxing

Maybe when I retire a cabin up high in the mtns and a greenhouse and LED with solar. Best of both worlds. But for now it's rich times for electric companies. Prefer sun grown all natural but restrictions keep me indoors. Indoor is good bud too, no bugs no pesticides!
I saw some Quails in a Greenhouse a few decades ago to control mites!
In Hawaii we had many lizards
So I will make accommodations for Quail’s & Lizard’s.
Bug’s R not our friend 4 growing!

Maybe when I retire a cabin up high in the mtns and a greenhouse and LED with solar. Best of both worlds. But for now it's rich times for electric companies. Prefer sun grown all natural but restrictions keep me indoors. Indoor is good bud too, no bugs no pesticides!

I don't consider my electric terribly high. I average around $250-275 a month for everything including my house. I might hit $300 once or twice if I run our house AC a lot, or if I water our veggie garden a lot. That hasn't happened in 2018. I have 2600 watts of lights going, and a 1800 sq ft house, and the pole barn my grow is in. Natural gas heat in the house though.

Yet, fingers crossed, I have managed 2x infestations of spider mites on my mumma plant in the 20+ years of indoor growing that I have had a mumma plant.:myday:

Good on you!!! I have had a few, usually from clones I take in, but my routine gets rid of them fast. I learned about ten years ago after losing a four plant crop to mites. A good lesson that stuck with me.

Last edited:
I don't consider my electric terribly high. I average around $250-275 a month for everything including my house. I might hit $300 once or twice if I run our house AC a lot, or if I water our veggie garden a lot. That hasn't happened in 2018. I have 2600 watts of lights going, and a 1800 sq ft house, and the pole barn my grow is in. Natural gas heat in the house though.

That's about where we are at. We have wood burning stoves for heat and a propane furnace for backup on cold nights so the pipes dont freeze. Have a 2500W heater in the workshop that runs in the winter, but I generally grow with 600W light, ventilation fan plus other items. Just seems expensive now a days, I remember when electric bills used to be $125/mo. Hoping switching down to 400W will still give me good yields and cut back on the electric an extra $25 bucks or so. Every little bit helps!

That's about where we are at. We have wood burning stoves for heat and a propane furnace for backup on cold nights so the pipes dont freeze. Have a 2500W heater in the workshop that runs in the winter, but I generally grow with 600W light, ventilation fan plus other items. Just seems expensive now a days, I remember when electric bills used to be $125/mo. Hoping switching down to 400W will still give me good yields and cut back on the electric an extra $25 bucks or so. Every little bit helps!

I burned wood for 20 years until my 3rd back operation in 04. Ironic now because I own a hardwood wood lot. Cutting and splitting/stacking was my winter exercise program, now it's growing herb I guess.

Power is very costly here in Australia, I used to get bills of around AU$400 a month so I installed a 9.60 kW (38x255watt panels) solar system, I now get paid by the electric company! The $27k cost (all German tech) has paid for itself and now I am in the green and laughing.:thumbsup:
Took a bit to set up, nearly covers the length of my backyard;
IMG044.jpg

I haven't noticed a huge increase in my power bill due to my grow. I have 2 LEDs pulling approx 100w each and 150w of CFLs. I have 4 plants in my small grow area at a time using a perpetual regime. Just pulled 50grams dry off my last plant. My yields appear modest but I'm a happy self sufficient grower vaporist. My Solos are always cranking and my jars overflowing :)

Power is very costly here in Australia, I used to get bills of around AU$400 a month so I installed a 9.60 kW (38x255watt panels) solar system, I now get paid by the electric company! The $27k cost (all German tech) has paid for itself and now I am in the green and laughing.:thumbsup:
Took a bit to set up, nearly covers the length of my backyard;

Thats a great looking setup! What was your payback time? I've been kicking tires on a system here in western Canada as well. The tricky part seems to be trying to figure out which technology seems to provide best return on investment. Are you using a battery bank? I've been looking at options to solar-power a 6x6 grow shed, with 630 watt light and associated fans, but I still haven't quite figured out where to start :)

but I still haven't quite figured out where to start :)

A fat checking account would help.

When I started my build, I had a $3000 figure in mind. That was blown quick before I bought lights, fans and ballasts, hoods and so on. My 2000w flower room and 600w veg room ended up being roughly $10,000. Two thousand just to get water to the rooms. This was building two rooms in a empty barn from scratch but still, it gets expensive. I have a friend running 14, 000 w for two big flower rooms, imagine that build cost and light bill, lol.

I have a grid tie system, no batteries. My ground mount cost 7k and the panels and inverters cost 20k, 6-7 years to break even(less if you mount on your building), then free power for at least another 15 years, my panels have a 25-year warranty, inverters 10. The new lithium house batteries have come down a lot in price and are getting popular here in Aus for situations where you cannot grid tie.
Just pulled 50grams dry off my last plant.
Isn't vaping great, I just about halved my consumption of the green gold after giving combustion the boot!

Did a bit of relaxing, filled up the garden;
IMG_20181119_173912.jpg

220 on the Tera and JB in the Coke, all good:smoke:(just don't drink the PH up by mistake, nasty shit)

I think it is easier to get great results using hydroponics, not necessarily inside with lights, but outside in a greenhouse (extra lighting would be ideal but not for backward countries where it is still illegal to grow/consume MJ)
I use Autopots 2x8 plant kits, no pumps or heaters to worry about and I never have nutrient problems as it does not circulate anything. I use perlite as a growing medium (some say to use vermiculite 50/50 perlite) but you can use just about anything like river sand or gravel as all the nutrients the plant needs are in the hydroponic solution.:thumbsup:
https://autopot.com.au/kits
They are even on eBay;
upload_2018-11-20_15-49-0.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AutoPot...=item41c0343732:g:4NUAAOSw4YdYyhnR:rk:19:pf:0

Never used hydro. Soil is messy but it's what I have always used. Standard store bought cheap potting mix and organic seaweed nutrients. Keeping it a simple as possible.

I'm all about dirt simple.

I take just enough root ball out at harvest to get another plant in the same hole. (no till style) Other than the main stem, the small roots and dirt stuck to them feed and provide bedding for my worms.

I ferment my fan leaves to make plant fertilizers and the left over mush feeds my worms.

Most of my fertilizer is worm castings. The worms also provide my plants co2.

Simple and efficient......

Last edited:
I think @ataxian has the best idea, a greenhouse with added lighting and a pressing station in the corner, I would recommend my style in one end and pots with your own soil mix(lots of worms) in the other and maybe a compost bin in the middle for a bit more C02...ahh, hurry up Australia and get with the rest of the world.:myday:
Edit; and a comfy chair to sit and help with C02 production.:thumbsup:

I take just enough root ball out at harvest to get another plant in the same hole. (no till style) Other than the main stem, the small roots and dirt stuck to them feed and provide bedding for my worms.

I ferment my fan leaves to make plant fertilizers and the left over mush feeds my worms.

I like your style bro.

Thought I had better have a look at the girls tonight and found a dark room...again:disgust: I disconnected the power and twisted the bulb in as hard as I could one-handed, connected the power and it lit up and looks normal. I am using a Super PowerPlant bulb for the first time as I had heard quite a few good reviews, this is only the second time I have used it on the bud cycle, I usually do 3 crops of budding per bulb before I replace them. I have never had this happen to the Lucagrows I used to use. I might set up a cctv to monitor it...or maybe a little solar panel hooked to a LED in an easily seen place.:sherlock:
Any other ideas?

@LesPlenty odd happenning. I wonder if perhaps some fans could be creating a vibration that is causing the bulb to loosen? That's all I can think of at the moment. I like the idea of a camera, but if it's an electronics issue with the ballast may have to monitor the current somehow?

I love your system. When I moved into my house ten years ago, the yard was a wasteland of the cracked clay, dry brown weeds variety. We tossed down cardboard and mulch, got a worm bin and red wrigglers, and started a compost pile. We watered the few, small, struggling trees. For birthdays and holidays Madri-Guy and I exchanged fruit trees. We got plants from clearance sections of garden centers, cuttings and seeds from friends. We eventually freed the worms, as we didn't generate enough waste to feed them and have a compost bin. Still, every scrap of paper, every bit of cardboard, ended up in the yard under free mulch from tree trimmers. When we flooded, ruined books, clothes, anything that could go in the yard was covered with mulch and cardboard. I knew nothing about gardening, so I read permaculture books and resolved to grow good soil. Madri-Guy has done the lions share, and built fences, arbors and trellises, planted trees, bushes, installed some irrigation and a grey water system. We got into espalier so we could fit in more trees. The soil became dark, rich and crumbly, and decendants of the red wrigglers thrived. We had orange, lemon, grapefruit, pear, apple, cherry, nectarine, pomegranates, plums, pluots, peaches, quince and avocados. Serious set backs when my Other Son moved in, but we still have many plants and trees, and he left behind a grow tent and supplies when he left. I didn't even think about growing cannabis until Other Son came and took over. At one point Other Son became obsessed with sea weed fertilizer, and I refused to buy any, and somehow ended up trying not to get pulled into the freezing Pacific while dragging out sea weed to compost.
This thread, shrinking sunny spots because of growing trees, and an expensive indoor grow set up I ended up paying for, have led me to thinking about how to grow indoors. Your methods make me think it's possible to grow indoors in a way I understand.

I think @ataxian has the best idea, a greenhouse with added lighting and a pressing station in the corner, I would recommend my style in one end and pots with your own soil mix(lots of worms) in the other and maybe a compost bin in the middle for a bit more C02...ahh, hurry up Australia and get with the rest of the world.:myday:
Edit; and a comfy chair to sit and help with C02 production.:thumbsup:
You’re the real deal!

I will have a nice setup in FRANCE.
I will keep my house in CALIFORNIA. (I grew up there!)
4 medical reason I must have a DAB PRESS (ROSIN might not be convenient?)
EDUCATION is good there!
My youngest wants to study there?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back