Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Growing is so relaxing

I've grown two years so far. Year 1 was some seeds from a friend, started late, and yiekds were good. Last year I got a light and started seeds inside (cmh315, ceramic). Got a deal on a 630 CMH so used that in fall to finish a few plants in a whipped together grow room in garage.

So I have a 6' * 10' shed that is now partially ready to become the new grow room, as soon as I can figure out whether to run power or solar to the shed.

Plus there's a nice space in a quiet corner of the yard where I'm hoping a few outdoor plants will become trees.

I've grown two years so far. Year 1 was some seeds from a friend, started late, and yiekds were good. Last year I got a light and started seeds inside (cmh315, ceramic). Got a deal on a 630 CMH so used that in fall to finish a few plants in a whipped together grow room in garage.

So I have a 6' * 10' shed that is now partially ready to become the new grow room, as soon as I can figure out whether to run power or solar to the shed.

Plus there's a nice space in a quiet corner of the yard where I'm hoping a few outdoor plants will become trees.
Ah, the best of both worlds then.

Those cmh bulbs burn hotter than hps bulbs.
Only if you run 2 of them, the 315w cmh is cooler than a 600w HPS, so the salespeople told me last week.:thumbsup: I don't use a glass shield (I tried an air/fan cooled sealed set up but did not like it) and usually need the extra heat in Tassie.

I would like to grow outdoors but that can be more expensive than indoors (if you get caught here)
Back in the late 90's I gave my late father a couple of my White Rhino clones, indoors I would get 2 oz per plant using the NFT system, 12 plants with a 600w HPS harvested every 9 weeks), my old man managed 2 pounds per plant growing in the middle of his chook yard and the quality was nearly as good as my hydro, not quite as frosty at the finish like mine and tasted a bit earthy compared and also took 5 months after he planted to grow to harvest time.:thumbsup:

I was a pretty pathetic grower when I first grew weed in the 70's. I started random seeds in trays, then transplanted in a likely area. Out of 24 I think about 12 survived rabbits.i then transferred those plants to a more secluded area that I had to cross a beaver dam to get to and had water on 3 sides. I stashed some miracle grow and a water jug out there. I panicked when I had to choose males/females.eventually i borrowed a book to help me. I harvested 4 skinny females probably a month early, lol.

Some years later I found a different grow area in a large tract for protected birds. The birds only breed in one type of tree, so its a mono culture forest thats planted for them. I only had to worry about strangers during two weekends each summer when the plants were tiny. The Audubon society did their counts then. I made semi permanate holes for the plants that I lined with newspapers and filled with a peak mix. Each year I used the same holes, same dirt with a compost top dress. The plants were clones from trusted early flowering plants that would be ready in early sept. I watered with a camo water bucket in a tree with drip lines to the plants hidden in the forest floor. That happened two hours south of where i live now. It worked well until I almost got caught. But that's another story, lol

But none of that would compare in quality to what I'm doing now indoors. Part of it is I just live too far north at 45N, and controlling the environment indoors is easier where I'm at. I could actually grow outdoor at my place. The current laws allow it in a covered area not visible from neighbors. I have such an area. To keep a favorable climate for growing outdoors including a structure with a roof, an electric feed, supplemental lights, fans and heaters can get expensive, and without enviromental controls the quality suffers.

So I went back to the hydro supplies guy (2 hour drive) and ended up spending my Dabpress and special bong money on lighting!
IMG_20190123_145946.jpg

If you look closely the gold stamp says 'Champion Oil Producer' the salesman said he had one customer that produces 'Shatter'. I said 'Butane extraction is old style, Rosin is the future' He did not know how butane was involved in shatter:shakehead:
So I ended up going with my 'Bigger is better' motto and got the double ended (sounds rude) 630w CMH kit and will swap out for my next crop.
CMH light output color is the closest of any lamp available to the sun so will help with picture taking too.
I put a watt meter on my old magnetic HPS and it was using 730watts:razz2:, my digital HPS that just shit itself used 615w so it will be interesting what this will actually use, I will let you guys know.

Edit; about the color temperature being close to the sun

Last edited:
So I went back to the hydro supplies guy (2 hour drive) and ended up spending my Dabpress and special bong money on lighting!
View attachment 7097
If you look closely the gold stamp says 'Champion Oil Producer' the salesman said he had one customer that produces 'Shatter'. I said 'Butane extraction is old style, Rosin is the future' He did not know how butane was involved in shatter:shakehead:
So I ended up going with my 'Bigger is better' motto and got the double ended (sounds rude) 630w CMH kit and will swap out for my next crop.
CMH light output color is the closest of any lamp available so will help with picture taking too.
I put a watt meter on my old magnetic HPS and it was using 730watts:razz2:, my digital HPS that just shit itself used 615w so it will be interesting what this will actually use, I will let you guys know.

I look forward to to hearing about how it does for you. I've heard pretty good things about similar lights.

View attachment 7097
CMH light output color is the closest of any lamp available so will help with picture taking too.
You R the real deal!
Love your comments!
I was a SHATTER maker B-4 I got into ROSIN.
SHATTER is pretty decent!
ROSIN I prefer?
Taste better!
@lazylathe turned me in the correct direction!

Last edited:
So to finish off a fairly crappy day I Ball Mason jarred the latest crop that had all the light failure problems...a miserly 12oz, the worst return on a crop I have ever had.:disgust:
On a brighter note, this next crop will hopefully be a bumper with my new 630w CMH DE light. :thumbsup:
Thank goodness for vaping because if I was still burnin' I would be starting to panic!:myday:

So to finish off a fairly crappy day I Ball Mason jarred the latest crop that had all the light failure problems...a miserly 12oz, the worst return on a crop I have ever had.:disgust:
On a brighter note, this next crop will hopefully be a bumper with my new 630w CMH DE light. :thumbsup:
Thank goodness for vaping because if I was still burnin' I would be starting to panic!:myday:
I hope to grow outside this spring where I’m at on this PALE BLUE DOT
For COLAS for my EGO
Let me know how the light work’s out for your grow?
So expensive where I liveTo grow indoors?
Cheaper to just buy it?
COLAS I want!

My new light is also a 630w CMH. It's like the sun! Feb is when it'll get flashed, getting plants ready for real sun a little later in the spring.
I want to grow so bad for COLAS!

It’s getting cheaper where I live?

My wife thinks I’m not being responsible!
The dispensary outlets have big and popcorn size nuggets?
COLAS you must grow!

It is only culture maybe?

I miss good Grown COLAS?
Next CIVILIZATION maybe?

Let us know what you think of the light setup you go with?
It’s cheaper to buy it these daze?

My first two years of being a cannabis patient and I assumed that all buds fit in those little containers. The first time I grew anything (2 summers ago, on a whim) I had a cola the size of my forearm. And the buds were sticky! The commercial buds, sent to legal patients from legal, licensed providers, isn't sticky. How can that be?

So I asked an commercial med grower how they made oil. They run their buds over screens while trimming and use the sifted material to make oil, while selling the buds on to patients. That sounds suspiciously shady, but it did give me an idea of where good meds come from, and it's not from large-scale commercial growers. Thats what got me a 630 CMH light...

My first two years of being a cannabis patient and I assumed that all buds fit in those little containers. The first time I grew anything (2 summers ago, on a whim) I had a cola the size of my forearm. And the buds were sticky! The commercial buds, sent to legal patients from legal, licensed providers, isn't sticky. How can that be?

So I asked an commercial med grower how they made oil. They run their buds over screens while trimming and use the sifted material to make oil, while selling the buds on to patients. That sounds suspiciously shady, but it did give me an idea of where good meds come from, and it's not from large-scale commercial growers. Thats what got me a 630 CMH light...
Just a story that’s true even if today it’s not relevant?
Back in 1977 I believe? (The date was around there?)
Trying to be honest about it!
We grew on 5 acres of land by the beach and a small Mesa near by.
Volcano activity made the landscape.
The trade winds kept cool the ambient temperature.
Maui x AFHANI = GDP like without seed?
My buddy studied ORAMENTAL HORTICULTURE!
We were both Rider of WAVES and loved surfing.
I did not know anything about what we were doing.
It was easy I found?
Didn’t realize we were on the cutting edge of a culture shift!
We just needed money to survive?
The Top’s of the plants we kept lower than the 5’ grass to hide our grow.
My hats off to the indoor growers!
Outside seem to be the only place to grow at the time?

JONI MITCHELL sang songs that resonate with this period of time!
Very humbled by this time in my life!
This event took place in da Island’s!

Last edited:

You are on the right track and asking the right questions............the truth does set you free in this instance?

The first year i grew i was gifted a bag of seeds, around 400. I started a bunch, and tossed a bunch in the bush hoping for magic. When the started seeds popped i put them in the sun and forgot about them. That evening they were all dead little stubs. One of them had moved their first leaf to use as a sun shade, andv then fried. I felt like a serial killer. Another friend gave me more seeds, which started late. I kept them inside until the pot was too small, then planted them beside tomatos in soil. They grew as tall as me, with huge colas. Bugs started chewing on leaves, a mix of cinnamon, boiled in water and misted on the leaves, soon stopped that. The only nutes i used were organic compost, and organic black strap molasses mixed in water. And it seemed to work. They seemed to like being left alone. Water when they feel dry, nutes every 2nd or 3rd watering, watch for critters, and just hang out with them for awhile. Its nice to read a book next to your own growing meds.

You are on the right track and asking the right questions.

Their response got me interested in bubble hash and dry sift extractions. I rarely vape commercially grown herb as i don't have any assurances that it's safe. Health Canada has a long list of chemicals that growers are legally allowed to apply, and some of them are decidedly unsuitable for ingestion via smoking or vaping.

The only way to stay healthy is to know and trust your source, and i don't have much trust in that system. But the herb works for topicals, and hopefully non-toxic edibles...

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back