Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Making do with what I have pt 1

Try bumping up the PH up to 6.2 because that last shot you showed still looks nutrient deficient that can be caused by low PH. I never had much luck/good results from one part nutes, Part A & Part B for me!
Do you drink your well water? All that calcium will give you kidney stones.:biggrin:
I know your thread says Making Do with what I have, but as long as you use that nasty water you will run into problems, if I were you I would look into some kind of filtration or change to a closed loop system instead of run to waste and buy some water.

I bumped up all of them to 6.0 PH this morning with their feeding. I also am using a 2-part nutrient system, Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect Sensi Coco Grow & Bloom (Parts A & B). So far I am no more satisfied with them than any of my other hydroponic nutrients I've tried, so I'm not buying what they're selling anymore.

I have had kidney stones since I was 18 years old, I get them about every 10 years no matter where I live so I'm actually due again fairly soon :hmm: Colorado's mountain water is considered some of the best water in our country, I love it, drinking bottled water tastes dead to me. Unfortunately water cost is not an expense I can take on, bottled water is very expensive in the nearest town, and I waste about 3-5ga of water making RO per gallon at home.

All things being considered at this point, I am feeling like organic soil is going to be the best option with the buffering ability. Thinking about testing the jack's professional arb uses on a plant that way I can get more experimenting in, then have the rest in organic. I just was never as impressed at the growth in soil, plants always seem to be a week or two smaller in size than hydroponic or soilless.

Basically everyone on all the forums have told me to ditch my water, yes I think that's a smart idea as well to stop the deficiencies with the synthetic nutrients. But I can grow plenty of other types of plants with our water in organic soil so I'd rather just go with whatever will have the least complications using the existing water I have. It's not like what's in the water is hurting the plants, it's how much or too little of what I'm putting in that's causing the problem. Maybe I should just send a sample up to Denver to have a complete analysis of what's in there so I can try and custom tailor my measurements.

With nutrients at 6.2ml of each Part A & B Bloom (this is less than half strength) the EC was sitting at 1,34, PH 6.0, water temperature 65F. I gave that deficient skunk early bloomer 3ml of cal-mag plus as well. Going to give some blackstrap molasses on that one soon. Buds are fattenning up and they look very dense, I'm thinking it has another 2-3 weeks. These LEDs so far are impressing me very much, the plants are getting light stress at 12" so I raised them another 1", have about 3" left before I reach the top. Defoliation continues on the shaded foliage.

I have extremely hard well water also I doubt your issue is water quality.
Essentially if you can drink it and not die it ain't the water........lolz.

I'm gonna try your jacks professional and see what happens, your plants always look very healthy!

For what it's worth I was just listening to a podcast [nute talk starts around 10m] where a botanist said most bottled nutes deliver much higher concentrations of nutrients than plants really need (which lines up with observations of most people I see on hydro forums that feeding full strength according to schedule is an absolute maximum and usually requires frequent flushing).

Last edited:
Yeah I luckily learned to use half strength or less from the forums prior to using them and was surprised at how well they grow with less nutrients than what's recommended. This grow I actually got more nutrient burn than ever before and that was from going above 1/2 strength. I've been aiming for 15-20% runoff, more nutrient waste this way but I'm hoping that this practice prevents the need to flush. My pots don't have a lot of white salts buildup on the outsides.

Cannabis forums are the absolute worst source for any factual horticultural information.
A tomato or rose forum board will result in much better results for a lot less money.
I know nobody believes me when I say that but I keep saying it anyhows.......lolz.

Cannabis forums are the absolute worst source for any factual horticultural information.
A tomato or rose forum board will result in much better results for a lot less money.
I know nobody believes me when I say that but I keep saying it anyhows.......lolz.

I tend to agree, but there are some contributors if you can get their attention, and they're help is as good as it gets in most cases.

I tend to agree, but there are some contributors if you can get their attention, and they're help is as good as it gets in most cases.

I've been off grow forums for years, but I did learn most of what I know and how I do things from my reading them.

My skills however are just related to organic soil. No till, I use the same pots for years. And my best feature is my worm farm. Along with being able to customize my fertilizer by what I feed the worms, they also give me co2.

If you ever wanna go that route I can help.

I have high pH water (ph9), now I have an ro filter, but I grew a long time without. You just keep in mind to use low pH things, like molasses, fish, or whatnot to keep things ballanced, but worm castings will pretty much make everything run smooth, regardless of pH.

Last edited:
Instructions are like recipes...change them if you like but don't expect results to be the same as in the pictures. I am pretty sure Canna know how to mix their nutrients, they have been making them since the early '90s and are still in business, crackpot companies do not usually last decades.:twocents:

They also have an incentive to tell you to use too much. :tinfoil:

All the nutrient companies I have tried are all well represented in the cannabis for a while, with the exception of general hydroponics. Apparently they have some history of shunning us to protect their image. Advanced nutrients has been at it for a while, so far their line has been easier, but still not really great with my water without further adjustments. I thought about just trying the lucas formula but when it comes to growing in coco there's some tweaks that have to be made with cal/mag and iron.

@Shredder I'll be hitting you up this summer, I have a number of compost in the works right now and with it warming up I hope to have enough for my pots for next time. I have a dozen chickens and a horse, the soil on my property is not the best, really sandy but I can find some under a ponderosa pine that'll have richer soil. Our flower bed is full of worms so I can get some casting soil from there. We've been adding layers of horse manure as a top soil and the worms have been eating it up. We havent started adding chicken manure yet, still need to compost that.

I am also rethinking 6 in a 4x4' space, thinking 5 is the right number. My tent is crowded but at least it's a full canopy, more peaks and valleys than a flat area but plenty of tops!! I need to find a good sedative hybrid to replace the indicas, they are just too short for my normal meds (Sativas)

I am pretty sure Canna know how to mix their nutrients

Go Canna! Use their one-part Terra line, so need to add Cal-Mag. Otherwise, based on very limited experience, can only get away with full-strength if everything else is optimal. Anything less results in nute burn. It's not really dishonest, Canna specifies a range. Pro-growers might well find some benefit to using full-strength nutes.

All the nutrient companies I have tried are all well represented in the cannabis for a while, with the exception of general hydroponics. Apparently they have some history of shunning us to protect their image. Advanced nutrients has been at it for a while, so far their line has been easier, but still not really great with my water without further adjustments. I thought about just trying the lucas formula but when it comes to growing in coco there's some tweaks that have to be made with cal/mag and iron.

@Shredder I'll be hitting you up this summer, I have a number of compost in the works right now and with it warming up I hope to have enough for my pots for next time. I have a dozen chickens and a horse, the soil on my property is not the best, really sandy but I can find some under a ponderosa pine that'll have richer soil. Our flower bed is full of worms so I can get some casting soil from there. We've been adding layers of horse manure as a top soil and the worms have been eating it up. We havent started adding chicken manure yet, still need to compost that.

I am also rethinking 6 in a 4x4' space, thinking 5 is the right number. My tent is crowded but at least it's a full canopy, more peaks and valleys than a flat area but plenty of tops!! I need to find a good sedative hybrid to replace the indicas, they are just too short for my normal meds (Sativas)

Sounds like you have your compost already. Great! That's the most important part.

To get an even canopy when growing sativa's and indicas I have some tips.

You can take cuts or plant seeds staggered. I shoot for 2 weeks, from slow to fast. I delay fast plants going from beer cups to bigger pots, and transplanting into flowering pots. And you elevate shorter plants. I use 1.5 inch styrofoam. You can top fast growers more often. Sometimes I top a day or two before flowering if needed, or to stimulate secondary growth.

Sounds like you have your compost already. Great! That's the most important part.

To get an even canopy when growing sativa's and indicas I have some tips.

You can take cuts or plant seeds staggered. I shoot for 2 weeks, from slow to fast. I delay fast plants going from beer cups to bigger pots, and transplanting into flowering pots. And you elevate shorter plants. I use 1.5 inch styrofoam. You can top fast growers more often. Sometimes I top a day or two before flowering if needed, or to stimulate secondary growth.
You mean indoors, don't you @Shredder ? Please tell me you mean indoors, or else I might be in trouble.

Last edited:
Right now the 3 shorter plants are all on 6-8" plastic risers that have drainage to the waste well. When I get back to photo period seeds and some time I'd like to have some clones of the choice phenos and maybe just 3 strains. I wanna do skunk #1, white widow and jack herer regular seeds for sure.

This early bloomer skunk is getting some nice darkening of calyx still mostly white pistils. I can tell this carbon filter is about done, she's stinky. Always sad replacing those expensive necessities.

Skunk #1 auto (early bloomer), fed molasses today 0.5Tbsp/gal, 6.0 PH, 6.2ml Part A & B, 3ml cal/mag plus. This plant has bee drinking about 1/2gal per day through bloom.
wGIyCdt.jpg

R31EYtd.jpg

These ADL sativas are starting to worry me. The big lady will be on the floor at some point. Absolutely insane how big they are making these autoflowers, 3 of the 6 are over 3ft tall from the base of their trunk, about the same size as a photo period I would grow.

Canopy result no topping or training, just let em grow autos, 3x are raised up (indica, early bloomer and stunted ADL), the other 3 have fairly well grown at the same rate, and 3 different strains in fact.
pY479jS.jpg

Looking good, nice work!

I'll throw my 2¢ in, if you don't mind. I agree that soilless plants grow larger and faster and give higher overall yields. I ran coco/perlite for quite awhile with pretty good results. But I definitely prefer the quality of full organic. Better flavors and aromas in my experience. It's also very smooth. A longer cure helps even everything out but my organics are good as soon as they're dry. Run a small side by side and decide what you prefer. I'm a personal gardener so quality is my top priority. I'm willing to give up a bit of time or quantity if that's what it takes.

Sorry for the intrusion. Best of luck!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back