Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Making do with what I have pt 1

Waiting for the cola to stop swelling, then going to scope the trichomes and determine if it's flush time soon or not. This cultivar is listed as an 80-85 day autoflower, we're on day 75 or 76, I really dont know when to begin counting, really doesn't even matter because phenotype is going to change the timeline.

Skunk #1 Auto early bloomer top cola
FUKXEif.jpg

qHsjeyf.jpg

Beginning the flush process on the early bloomer skunk #1 auto, starting with 1/4 str nutrients, will be dialing that back to just PH'd water later in the week. Added 1/2Tbsp molasses to the other 3 that have formed buds. The 2 ADL's are getting only bloom nutrients, will give them molasses in a couple weeks as they get more blooms.

lrqM9o9.jpg

Skunk #1 auto early bloomer
2oGebod.jpg

sRrkMzR.jpg

Auto orange bud
PCeWwaM.jpg

Skunk #1 auto later bloomer
Ya1Frrf.jpg

This effort so far has shown me a bit of what I've always seen, and little new.

These Mars Hydro SP-250's are absolutely not your grandpa's LED lights. 12" is too close for these autos (I suspect photo's won't be so sensitive), manufacturer recommends 12-18" for flowering. Most of my main colas are in the 13-18" range, the side colas are in the 18-24" range. Definitely see these lights doing extremely well with topping and training, even canopy. The buds are no smaller than what I saw with my 600 HPS. Loving the fact these are full spectrum, can't wait for my next effort!

Growing all autos and a variety is proving to cause me some complications due to their "bloom when we're ready". I'll need to break out my 2x2' tent to start drying the early bloomer and the ADL's are going to be quite a ways behind so eventually the 2x2' is gonna be full so I gotta figure out another spot to slow dry.

Too much vertical height, seems like they should have bloomed much sooner, ideally it'd be nice to have a 3' plant when harvested, give enough upward growth to bush out adequately to fill the space, and not requite a whole lot of defoliation under the canopy. It just feels like I spent so much money on nutrients to grow these big plants and when I lollipopped it I basically lost half of the foliage. I guess there may be an upside, bigger root system from bigger plant, after defoliation, more energy for the buds and faster production? Photos with the flip seems like a better control, then all you really gotta deal with is stretch differences between phenos and varieties.

These nutrients I think are a bust for me, no better than using fox farms or GH, same results, somethings deficient not sure where, maybe I should fluctuate my PH more, instead of allowing it to occur naturally as the nutrients are used up and the coco dries out. Thinking about doing a 5.8-6.0 during veg, bounce between them every feeding, then 6.0-6.2 during bloom, same method to make sure they get the full range of nutrients and dont get locked out due to PH.

I'm excited to get the organic soil going for next time, guess I'm just going to use larger pots, since I can reuse the soil no real loss if the plants dont fill the whole pots. I'd rather not have to brew up compost teas, and just give some top dressing if needed.

I'm also rethinking my numbers, 5 plants may be too many, thinking 4x in 5ga pots may be a better plan to fill the space while still having a variety.

There will likely be a range of sensitivity to light, and autos might be more sensitive as ruderalis grows at northern latitudes. Curious about light penetration. When you harvest, if you break apart a main cola, is the inside still completely unripe? Does this happen with traditional halide and sodium lamps? Wondering if LEDs are mainly suited to ScrOG where even colas grow horizontally, so that every flower can be exposed.

There will likely be a range of sensitivity to light, and autos might be more sensitive as ruderalis grows at northern latitudes. Curious about light penetration. When you harvest, if you break apart a main cola, is the inside still completely unripe? Does this happen with traditional halide and sodium lamps? Wondering if LEDs are mainly suited to ScrOG where even colas grow horizontally, so that every flower can be exposed.

I'll show some pics of the buds after harvest, so far it looks like the light penetration is doing pretty good, under some fan leaves I am seeing red hairs in swollen calyxes. Or are you referring to the side of the bud that's up against the stem/branch?

With these 2x4 lamps I think scrog is gonna be the best method, it is a really nice even coverage with my lux meter. If I had a scrog setup I'd probably have doubled my yields and had all mostly tops with very little mids. As it sits now with my strategy to just learn how these plants grow naturally, I'll have probably half and half.

I can see why the quantum boards are becoming so popular. Frankly my HID lights are going out to the barn, maybe if I'm doing a winter grow where the extra heat would be beneficial I may consider using them again, but I'll give mars hydro a pat on the back for this one, we'll see how well they hold up over time...

Early bloomer skunk #1 auto is now on just PH adjusted water, no more nutrients, slowly reduced the nutrients to prevent any stress. Fan leaves are fading to yellow now, the deficiency is showing a lot more now that the leaves are dieing as the plant consumes the stored nutrients. The auto blueberry is such a small plant, buds are swelling good, the skunk #1 auto later bloomer is filling out the buds, I dont think they'll grow any more just fatten up at this point. The auto orange bud is fading to a blue color in the leaves even though it's still on 6ml Part A & B. I am guessing she's getting towards the end of her life. Will continue feeding until it seems like the trichomes are where I want then I'll begin the 10-14 day flush. The 2 ADL's are still in early bloom. Really excited to get some of these earlier bloomers finished so the ADL's can try to fill out. Sadly because of how cramped by tent was, half of the plants limbs were growing into the tent's sides so they didn't really grow out to be a big bush, more like a half bush. This is where I learned that 6 plants of this mix was too much for my tent size. I dont think I'll be defoliating the auto orange bud or the later bloomer skunk #1 auto, they dont really have any excess of upper foliage like the early bloomer or the auto blueberry. The ADL's are going to get defoliated once I start to get more room in the tent and the buds are a little more formed. Trying to keep as much food for the plants as I can, thus leaving the foliage on a little longer.

I am running my same carbon scrubber I used for the last half of bloom on my last run, it's still doing a good job. Ventilating the smell into the house and it's really not bad, I use a few cashmere woods plugins and the house smells fine. Had a neighbor over last night, non-MJ user, and nothing was said ;) There are 4 in full deep bloom and 2 just starting bloom.

No pesticides or fungicides ever used, no bugs. Trusted medicine.

Here's the skunk #1 auto early bloomer, she's so purdy and getting close to her time of harvest.
JlNpRIp.jpg

ua6N2kP.jpg

Full tent
ILqTeQA.jpg

Last edited:
Or are you referring to the side of the bud that's up against the stem/branch?

Referring to inside a large cola where the buds it's made up of have grown up against one another. Very disappointed to have finally grown foot-long, fat colas only to find that just the outer surface was ripe.

Yep, seriously, I adjusted the PH of the flush water. Does PH fluctuations not cause the plant any stress?

The importance of pH was the first big lesson learned - the hard way. Suppose you might not need it so close to harvest, but why not?

Referring to inside a large cola where the buds it's made up of have grown up against one another. Very disappointed to have finally grown foot-long, fat colas only to find that just the outer surface was ripe.

The importance of pH was the first big lesson learned - the hard way. Suppose you might not need it so close to harvest, but why not?

Ok gotcha, the microscope will reveal the truth! ;)

I've read so much on cannabis and I know @arb's pointed out that there is a lot of bad information out there, and I do agree, but with my level of experience, I'm willing to do little things that will reduce stress. As everyone can see plain as day I've stressed my plants doing what I figure were all the right things. I even nutrient burned my plants for the sake of science based on feedback in my thread, so it's not obvious to me that the information online is accurate or even true, but I figure 5ml of PH down isin't going to break my bank or harm the plants. So I tend to agree, why not. Maybe @arb can elaborate with his expertise.

I always keep the ph correct when growing because if the ph is wrong the plant cannot absorb nutrients, so isn't flushing trying to get rid of nutrients just before harvest...so bad ph might be good at this stage?
It's 1:30 in the morning here so fuck knows if it matters now really.:cheers:...but it sure can't hurt:thumbsup:

isn't it true that stress can increase terpenes?
I have heard that...and many other things, I even hear of people using molasses, or was that another one of my weirdo dreams...:smoke:

Molasses is really a good supplement to feed cannabis, whether or not you need it when using bottled nutrients I am not sure but the sugar content at least helps retain moisture in the soil, but the macro and micronutrients are also nice.

Here's some bloom shots, not sure on the back plants the buds seem a little small yet. Despite the deficiency they seem to exhibit, I'm watching the trichomes to determine flush.

Skunk #1 auto early bloomer (day 7 flush)
tkzGKJo.jpg

Skunk #1 auto later bloomer
amZC1EV.jpg

Auto Blueberry
xUttQFV.jpg

Auto Orange Bud
K6hA2R9.jpg

ADL taller 1
2ffJFDu.jpg

Last edited:
The molasses is to provide sugars to the micro organisms in your medium allowing them to break down the plants nutrients into a useable salt ion.
The plant itself does not use the sugars and the " micronutrients "are in such small amounts that they only matter for conversations sake.

Well put, there are a number of benefits, since I use it for baking might as well add some since it's on hand, the plants seem to enjoy it at the concentrations I use (1/2 Tbsp/gal)

@arb can you tell me what you think the deficiency is the plants are exhibiting? I was thinking calcium def, I have a lot of speculation as to why that is but that's what it seems based on the upper fans. The skunks exhibited this though the orange bud and blueberry did not. I tried supplementing more cal mag but may have caught it too late before the irreversible damage.

That plant is locking out.
The rest are showing over fed I would lose the medium for peet based soiless to start.
Then I would look at my ferts INGREDIENT list and understand what I was doing with them.
You need to reach a certain level of understanding before tweaking.......essentially what I see is you trying to make subtle tweaks without grasping the basics first.
Sorry if that sounds harsh or mean I do not intend hurt your pride but the plants are telling you.........you're just not understanding what they are saying.
Wading through the sea of bullshit and sales tools is nearly impossible hence my disdain for"cannabis grow forums".

I always keep the ph correct when growing because if the ph is wrong the plant cannot absorb nutrients, so isn't flushing trying to get rid of nutrients just before harvest...so bad ph might be good at this stage?

...from my understanding your right, ph affects the plant's ability to uptake nutrients...

gl_soil_ph_table.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back