Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
This is the first time I've tried a Dark Matters stem with the new Ti hot end inserts, always going to be a challenge getting everything tightened up.
Walnut and Buffalo Horn with aluminium accents. I've tried to pull the joint up a bit on this one and I'll leave it to settle down before I look at the joints again.
VRip4NO.jpg

I did a couple of Bocote with the Ti hot ends I had made up, one is for me to try out. The only customer with one has been singing it's praises and it's about time I found out where he is coming from.
J994mWb.jpg

The customer who one of them is for loved the top one's grain but also liked the Blackwood MP on the lower one so I did a rework, I think the BW MP adds a bit of balance to the look.
Here's a quick video on how I went about this, unfortunately my finger ends don't work as well as they used to so I didn't press hard enough for the best bit. You've all missed the ribbons I was getting from the BW.

And here's the pair together, much better looking. I'll be testing the darker over the next few days.
QwKU7gu.jpg

rImqkMc.jpg

It's never ceases to amaze me @momofthegoons, the grain contrast and the way it finishes has it as one of my favourite woods.

With the Ti hot end I think it needed the contrasting MP, the ones I took to Spannabis had the Ti insert in them and look fine as a one piece, this one was gifted to Occassional Stoner. He has some great countryside and weather for pictures.
PZKlL6z.png

Had some blanks to rough out and a bit of time to make it look a bit more interesting to see, my fone camera timed out way too early so this is only a brief clip.
I hope the Oak stays together when I turn it right down, may have to inlay it no matter what but we'll see.

Top to bottom. 2 Amboyna, Oak Burr, 2 Brazilian Tulipwood and Cocobolo.
tx6FEmM.jpg

Built a little light box type thing to up my presentation game a bit.
RGpuAJN.jpg

HiAX1X4.jpg

Feeling my age a bit today having got up at the crack of dawn over the weekend to collect and shift about 2 ton of gravel.
Mrs PP is far worse for wear than myself, she has been ribbed a lot about her having to take an afternoon nap and walking round like she's run a marathon.

Chicago @momofthegoons, shouldn't be too long now.

Well @phattpiggie has already shown off my Indian Summer and Blackwood stem that I just got, but he left the honor of showing off the first pics of the enclosure he made for my IH.
Is it wrong to lust for Mom's box?
Only if it's wrong for me to say phattpiggie's wood makes me swoon... :dog:

Check this out.... Bocote with Blackwood trim. :biggrin:

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

I am planning on recessing the power cord just a bit more....
IMG_4020.jpg

The care that phattpiggie puts into his work is just incredible. From the beveled edges and the mitered feet to the screws. He shared with me that his late father had given those screws to him and that they were probably 35 - 40 years old. Not only am I touched that he shared these special screws with me (I can just see @duff 's wheels turning right now... :tongue:), but the fact that he made sure they matched the wood better than new screws just shows his attention to detail.
IMG_4021.jpg

Here's a little vid of it at work that I put up on Instagram.

Amazing work. I am so thrilled to have this wonderful piece of art from such a special guy. Thanks again for doing this for me... :heart:

You are more than welcome @momofthegoons, a lot of love and cussing gone into it I can tell you.
I'm going to have to get one made for myself now, my fish pellet container is looking very sad these days.

The charge cable and plug were always going to be an awkward one to sort out but it will disappear in that hole.
If you need me too I'll get you some more pictures and details on how I did it on my Skelly.

As for @duff he's one of the few people who saw it before you, doesn't take much to work out who one of the others is.
A little hint 'flipfukiflops'.

Before and after'ish
Some great stuff going on in this acrylic.
RjGIrn4.jpg

FDuOts6.jpg

3oiSWcf.jpg

Unfortunately the acrylic on the stem moved at the last minute so I've had to strip it and fit another MP which will get finished tomorrow.
ffgmajf.jpg

And while I was at it I turned a stubby 14mm out of Walnut which has split on me but it's all good practice.
VpVui7F.jpg

Swear to god... every time I finish a purchase with you, I think to myself, 'okay... this should do it for a bit.' And then you go and post something up.. and...

Now I'm jonesing for blackwood (although cocobolo would also be nice...) and blue acrylic. Does it ever end? Have we discovered an additional affliction to VAS and GAS?

omg..... do I have PAS? :uhoh:

The lidded stems start life as toothpick cases, I remove the brass coupling and reuse it. They are another thing on my list of things to get machined up in the future.
FlPhBQmm.jpg
kcBCc3Fm.jpg

I've gone about it differently this time and used one of the Ti inserts I had made. This meant I had to turn 'El Roacho' to keep the Ti central. 47mm long.
6tPsdvtm.jpg
N0xY0ybm.jpg

All the parts look like this before assembly.
SWs8Z9O.jpg

Some time later they all look like this, Flame Box Elder with BW MP.
yzZhedI.jpg

I flipped the Elder blank to make the best of the figured piece in it, if I'd left it at the MP end it would have been lost.
aqxOhlO.jpg

This also meant I got the red marking to carry on over the flat face of the lid.
np8Bb3O.jpg

The best bit only came to life after I sanded and waxed the BW MP.
P2fFmen.jpg

Apologies in advance @momofthegoons.
The green glass that was in this Bocote Open Twist was a practice piece, today it got the black it was meant to have.
Enjoy the weekend where ever you are.
2wBeZ4k.jpeg
I've now looked at this several times... hoping it would lose it's appeal. But alas... I'm smitten. So guess what phattpiggie? You can just put me back on the freaking list. I feel I need a stem that matches the Skelly enclosure.

This is getting ridiculous...

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back