Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
As some of you may know most of my inspiration comes from the countless hours I've spent image searching 'antique cigarette holders'.
It's where I got the slender and elegant style I enjoy turning.
Saw this one and it had to be done.
WGcW2Wp.jpeg

Xs3E4c2.jpeg

Now that is stunning!

I like the silver and black sections but what's really cool is the red wood fading into a light orange.

Another winner there Phatt's :thumbsup:

The last 2 weeks has seen me getting an office built in the garden for Mrs. PP. I've got the last bit of plywood lining to get finished and the power in and it's done.
I did get the 'it's my office' bit at the beginning but she is so happy I may be getting a little bit of space out there.

Had a handful of blanks arrive so took a bit of time off to rough out a few of, got more in the post from the Ukraine.
kuddxVe.jpg

Top to bottom, Blue dyed and stabilised Amboyna, 2 pieces of Thuya Burr and some acrylics
IJyaewY.jpg

Amboyna went a little like this
BxQD14h.jpg

And ended up like this
BWBOAKf.jpg

The red mesh acrylic went from this
XrG2yPQ.jpg

To this
msyDEEH.jpg

QtOMFen.jpg

All looks very real when I have a bunch of stems in hand
i4UCHQh.jpg

Customer asked for 3 very different stems.
First up is a Brazilian Tulipwood Twist, 79mm.
lim6RUQ.jpeg

Then it's a 6" Thuya Burr Square with Blackwood ends and brass accents.

fSBQCr8.jpeg

And finally a Dark Matters style Bog Oak and Indian Summer, brass accents and BW ends.

DRqRIxi.jpeg

ZsqRzD1.jpeg

Thank you @ataxian and @momofthegoons, you've got to love the diversity Mother Nature offers up. Pinks and purples in the Tulipwood to the beautiful Thuya burr.

My lathe has been frying my head for a while now, cheap metal on one of the most important bits has meant their replacement and a couple of drive belts.
Excess noise has been the thing that's really been pissing me off. Finally it went tits up and enough was enough.
The balance went right out and it was jumping around all over the place. So I ordered another.

Worst thing was the fact that I was part way thru this piece.
It's been a while since I turned a long, 150mm, stem. I was asked by a return customer who has one in Osage Orange if I could go the other way.
This is the first in a group of three that will be 45mm long. Figured Tasmanian Blackwood.
nCL2C23.jpg

Some lovely figure in this little piece of wood, Ti insert with a full length SS condenser.

KT31aKv.jpg

This is one of a pair of die cast aluminium parts which make up one of the pulleys, even if you don't understand how a slot and woodruff key are supposed to work you can tell this isn't right.

Imagine it at 1200rpm
Now take a listen to the new set up, I can't help the noise when chisels make contact with wood but the difference is still amazing me. And it's got digital speed control.

That would be the speed controller @momofthegoons, it's great.

Finished up two more stubbies to go with the Tasmanian BW.

Left to right
Mulberry Burr, Tas. BW and Osage Orange all with Ti inserts and SS condensers.

I love EXOTIC wood and made a lot of surf and skateboard's (CULTURAL)
If I sent some wood I got from OCAXA, MEXICO (PAOTA) MISSPELLED?
Should U make something 4 my "M"?

We call his kine wood = Poorman's BALSA (lite)

I STILL HAVE SOME TOOL'S HOWEVER I like my hand's
Sold most of the tool's after I was diagnosed!
I hate wood 2 touch my lip's so can we leave a opening for a GOON tip?
510 drip tip will work as well!

Last edited:
Tasmanian BW.
Makes good firewood too, my cousin has a 60 acre bush block that you need a 4wd to get into, too hard to log so we just burn the blackwood :disgust:. He has even told me that he has at times used Huon Pine for firewood:razz2:, his nickname is poacher:disgust:

@ataxian I'd need two pieces 3/4" to an inch square 6" in length, shipping shouldn't be that bad on a couple of pen blank size bits.
I can do an acrylic MP if that's better for you, I'd be able to keep the full length condenser that way.

Had a request for a crimson acrylic which went from this..

To this..
SRW3NZa.jpg

It will need a final sand in a day or so, Crimson mesh acrylic with BW ends and copper accents.

It was a case of third time lucky with the MP on this one, a couple of the BW blanks have been poor at holding the 0.5mm pitch thread.
JiMBMYc.jpg

Bocote with TiHE and BW MP
gAne0Vk.jpg

@ataxian I'd need two pieces 3/4" to an inch square 6" in length, shipping shouldn't be that bad on a couple of pen blank size bits.
I can do an acrylic MP if that's better for you, I'd be able to keep the full length condenser that way.

Had a request for a crimson acrylic which went from this..

To this..
SRW3NZa.jpg

It will need a final sand in a day or so, Crimson mesh acrylic with BW ends and copper accents.

It was a case of third time lucky with the MP on this one, a couple of the BW blanks have been poor at holding the 0.5mm pitch thread.
JiMBMYc.jpg

Bocote with TiHE and BW MP
gAne0Vk.jpg

You da best!

Two years today I started all this over on FC, and I'm still here. All be it a little slower this year with all the other stuff life has a way of throwing at you.

I'll get something together over the next few days once I've had a look back thru everything I've done.

For now here's the Crimson mesh acrylic and a bit of Snakewood.

PNqeZCd.jpg

I would have snakewood if I could, that does look dapper.:thumbsup:

It has been fantastic watching your evolution @phattpiggie & things just get more & more crazy/unique/fancy by the day with the work you are putting out. Every time I see a stem & say "nothing will top that" but you always manage to. Always. Congratulations on two years & I wonder how many happy customers you have had?

Thank you @Stevenski it's been a bloody good laugh so far. Hectic and scary but fun no doubt.

This stem was supposed to be an experiment with another process for it to go thru but it looked too good as it is.
H7KosPs.jpg

So nice to be able to post pictures
Some great stuff going on in this Blackwood, if it doesn't sell then it's back on the lathe.
w7rNeAQ.jpg

Trying to get some video of the ribbons this blank was giving off has just reinforced my need for a better set up with a long articulated arm so I can get the camera in the right place.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back