Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Sumac isn't really a tree so the 'wood' is an odd turn, odd but well worth the extra effort.
20181230-193205.jpg

You can see the spongy pith centre which split when the top branch was cut or damaged. I've had this branch for a while sat waiting for the right job.
20181230-132732.jpg

The Leadwood was a first for me, I picked up 2 bowl blanks at the county turners annual do. One got cut up and it was a really nice surprise to see what was to come.
20181230-164053.jpg

20181230-193146.jpg

Crab Apple cut out of the front hedge, just stopped producing fruit one year so down it came.
20181230-193230.jpg

The end grain was all over the place and the only chisel with a keen edge was my roughing gouge.
Grinder is getting set up and all the chisels will be getting a lick on the wheel and the reverse switch from my old lathe is getting dug out, amazing how much difference going the opposite way can make.

One thing I've learned, unfortunately the hard way, is that dust is a substance you do not want to be breathing in no matter where it comes from.
Any dust is a health hazard and facial hair and masks just don't mix well, you never get a good seal and the finer particles get thru.
I will not turn unless I've got my forced air mask on and you can see why.
20181230-152407.jpg

Have a great New Years Eve where ever you are.

That Sumac grain is so pretty.... I have one CRZ made of it and it's my favorite. The enclosure turned out beautiful. The others are very nice as well, but I think the Sumac might be my fave.

And look at you showing off all your man glitter lol....

Happy New Year phatts. Can't wait to see what you make this next year...

Yes, I agree the Sumac is pretty cool, I like how you explained how Sumac center split, and I could see it. That was pretty cool.
The Leadwood had me going, it looks like such an old soul, with what looks like, the wear of the world upon it. Beautiful.
Crab Apple, looks dripping in honey, Nice.:buzz:

Great video as usual, made me spin a bit just watching.:thumbsup:

Any dust is a health hazard and facial hair and masks just don't mix well, you never get a good seal and the finer particles get thru.
I will not turn unless I've got my forced air mask on and you can see why.

The other great thing with PAPR units is they draw air through an external filter further away from the source of vapours & particulates. An extremely prudent move on your part mate. Facial hair of any kind pretty much ensures there is no seal made. Beautiful work as always.

All the best for 2019 to everyone.

I'm looking forward to working thru some of the stuff that's lined up for this year.

Sumac has a really great iridescence to it @momofthegoons I've never turned anything that finishes like it.

@Whisper I've no idea how old the Leadwood is but judging by the depth of colour change in the surface it's old. I agree it has an antique feel to it and there are a couple of marks on the top that I've left behind because I want to keep the aged look.
Just need to work out how to do the base. The other two will get a piece of wood fitted but the Leadwood I'm not sure about. Been looking at little brass feet.
The Apple is going to richen up as it ages.

@LesPlenty videos can take a while to get sorted out. No point posting most of them in real time as that would be as dull as dishwater. Instagram only accepts 1 minute clips which is about right for stoner concentration levels.
They are good for me to watch back and certainly make it all feel very real.

@Stevenski I wouldn't do anything that involves dust without wearing that mask. It's plugged into the mains when I'm turning and battery powered when I'm away from the lathe.

Got some silicone pots to try out an idea with. I can see some fancy ones coming up at some point.

I think it's about time we chat about this and that @phattpiggie . You've been turning some stuff lately that's really caught my eye....

That Zebrano flute is insane... and a scoopy dabby thingy to match would be the bee's knees. Then again... I'm still hankering for one of the glass insert twists as well.

What is a girl to do?

@momofthegoons I'll have to chase the wood man up and see if there is anymore of the cross cut.
It's one of those things I should've bought a lot more of, dejafukinvue.

Matching pot as well??
I spend more time filing than turning.:doh:
Screenshot_20190109-192627_VLC.jpg

Or messing around with stainless tube and engineering tools.
One more piece of this metalwork puzzle to arrive and I'll be trying something non VC out.
20190109_165639.jpg

I have a couple of rifles with laminated wood stocks, I love the look of them and they are more 'stable' than normal timber stocks too. :thumbsup:

@Stevenski I've no idea what's been asked for but I'll get plenty of visuals.
@LesPlenty my only concern is how it's going to drill. Fingers crossed there's no wander.

Little something different.
The small tap is for my regular stems, the largest one has been used for the open twists with glass condensers. Had to buy a new one for this job.
20190112-152443.jpg

Blackwood and Coolibah with aluminium accents.
20190112-152412.jpg
20190112-152342.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back