Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
@Fat Freddy I'm glad you're enjoying the stem.
Thank you for the feedback on the adjustable airflow and continued support.

Can't thank @Timberhead enough for the blanks he sent over.
IMG_20191105_133232.jpg

Always fun and really messy rounding blocks.

Future IH enclosures.
IMG_20191107_105427.jpg

Left to right
Bocote, Wenge and Padauk. Purple Heart, Padauk and Wenge. Walnut, Purple Heart and Wenge.

Everything crossed they behave whilst I'm creating the heater cavity.

@Squiby unless you plug the MP any stem with a lid will smell and collect lint or in my case wood chippings and dust in the reclaim in the condenser.
Finding a fix for this has been on my mind since the very first one I did.
As there is enough room for the tip and cap there is enough room to fit a 10mm MP inside a second lid.
Along these lines
IMG-20191115-WA0002.jpeg

Had this in mind for a while but the blanks disappeared.
Then as if by magic.....
IMG-20191119-151616.jpg

Unfortunately they aren't the colours of whatever was consumed prior to being evacuated. Unless it was mud.
A good coat of finish really richened it up.
IMG-20191119-151536.jpg

November 19th I was here last. Hope everyone had a great Xmas and we all have a fantastic 2020

Loads of stuff going on, as ever, which has occupied way too much of my mind. All done and dusted now so hopefully back on track.

The year is starting out nice and steady as I set about a revamp and add an extension to the shed. Really looking forward to getting it all back to rights.

End of last year saw a few things come together.
PHAAF's for starters.
IMG-20191203-155047.jpg

IMG-20191212-142546.jpg

IMG-20191210-183316.jpg

IMG-20200107-195420.jpg

Also decided to use some Black Palm, only a bit differently. This stuff can only be described as a soft brown spongy pith full of black needles, which get spat out at you.
In the picture you can see the black lines running across the top surface normally they run lengthways along the blank. Cross cutting it shows off the 'wood' really well.
IMG-20191202-155934-645.jpg

Walnut burr veneeer and black pvc for the accents, Blackwood for the stem.
IMG-20191202-142135.jpg

Bog Oak and alternative Ivory piece that went down to Brazil. Customer played around with some pictures until they had the stem the way they wanted it.
IMG-20191122-164914.jpg

The Yew and Briar Burl acrylic case got it's stem.
IMG-20200107-192638.jpg

Yew starts out very light coloured but with exposure to the air and light it really richens up.
IMG-20200106-205854.jpg

No way of stopping this happening. UV inhibitors can be used but they only slow it down rather than halt it in it's tracks.
The Yew bowl was turned ages ago and you can see the foot is lighter than the underside, it's still darkened up.
Exposure to the light has really changed the top surface.
IMG-20200106-210533.jpg

All woods do this, Osage being one of the most dramatic. Going from that vibrant yellow to mud.

Playing with an 18mm today, not many requests for them, difficult to make the fat bottom into anything slender looking. This one drops too far into the joint but it seals and shows it can be made to look a little less 'dumpy'.
IMG-20200107-163401.jpg

Really busy first quarter of the year, too busy for my poor head to cope with.:nut:
All for the greater good and should allow a bit more idea exploration and improve a few more things.

Final drawing is in at the machine shop, not all of them will be like this.

So many beautiful stems!
Thanks for sharing @phattpiggie .
Unfortunately, the video is not working. But the pics made me drool enough, so probably better for me not to see it!

Firefox here and I give in as to what plays for who and where. YouTube have a long list when it comes to copyright but it seems a bit hit and miss.

Seven different hot end options available for now.

The long Blackwood and Black Palm stem uses the same TiHE as the three aluminium ones.

When they are all machined it's of to the anodisers for a coat of black.

Final sand will see the ends of fins taken back to bare ali.
Nice black and silver contrast, I hope.

Thanks, @Squiby. Yep, they showed up the first week of August. I stuck them in the bottom of a drawer in the bedroom. All was well until my wife decided to rearrange the bedroom in December. She started pulling drawers out of dressers to make them easier to move around. She carried some things out of the room so I grabbed them and ran down to the basement. :cool:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back