Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
i also got a cheap alcohol burner off the internet & i really like using it now. fuel seems to make a big difference in terms of soot - i first used 99% iso i have here, and that left my cap in a very sorry state, i was ready to never use the alcohol burner again. bought a bottle of premium (6€) fireplace fuel and it seems entirely clean to me now. i have tried big lighters & candles, always attempting to bury the cap in the flame (without putting it out), and it always left something there, but yes, it is easy to wipe off. using the alcohol burner is slower than a torch (and i am holding the tip a good ways away from visible flame as well), but i personally prefer this. it seems to me that the tip also gets more heatsoaked, maybe because i am holding it further from the flame & a larger area is heated - it gets warmer to the touch & stays within clicks longer (i am using the m). i have never used an induction heater so cannot compare to this, but as far as flames go: i love the alcohol burner.

i also got a cheap alcohol burner off the internet & i really like using it now. fuel seems to make a big difference in terms of soot - i first used 99% iso i have here, and that left my cap in a very sorry state, i was ready to never use the alcohol burner again. bought a bottle of premium (6€) fireplace fuel and it seems entirely clean to me now. i have tried big lighters & candles, always attempting to bury the cap in the flame (without putting it out), and it always left something there, but yes, it is easy to wipe off. using the alcohol burner is slower than a torch (and i am holding the tip a good ways away from visible flame as well), but i personally prefer this. it seems to me that the tip also gets more heatsoaked, maybe because i am holding it further from the flame & a larger area is heated - it gets warmer to the touch & stays within clicks longer (i am using the m). i have never used an induction heater so cannot compare to this, but as far as flames go: i love the alcohol burner.
What is the fireplace fuel made of?

BestGlassButterfly-small.gif

ok, i believe the correct translation of what i am using (bioethanol / brennspiritus in german) is 'methylated spirits', not entirely sure, and is a pretty standard fuel for alcohol burners. mine does say its intended use is "stoves & fireplaces without chimney", but i doubt this matters greatly.
it is as guessed above mostly ethanol (in my case 96,6%), and 1% 2-butanone. i do not know where the remaining 2,4% have gone, nor am i sure about 2-butanone's function, but i believe it would have to be the substance that is added to the ethanol in order to discourage (recreational) ingestion, its 'denaturing' agent.
my knowledge of chemistry is limited to breaking bad, so i could not explain the difference between isopropyl alcohol & ethanol for instance, nor can i be sure that one is better suited for a soot-free cap than the other. in my case it made a tremendous difference, but who knows what other variables could be involved. hope this helps!

Last edited:
ok, i believe the correct translation of what i am using (bioethanol / brennspiritus in german) is 'methylated spirits', not entirely sure, and is a pretty standard fuel for alcohol burners. mine does say its intended use is "stoves & fireplaces without chimney", but i doubt this matters greatly.
it is as guessed above mostly ethanol (in my case 96,6%), and 1% 2-butanone. i do not know where the remaining 2,4% have gone, nor am i sure about 2-butanone's function, but i believe it would have to be the substance that is added to the ethanol in order to prohibit (recreational) ingestion, its 'denaturing' agent.
my knowledge of chemistry is limited to breaking bad, so i could not explain the difference between isopropyl alcohol & ethanol for instance, nor can i be sure that one is better suited for a soot-free cap than the other. in my case it made a tremendous difference, but who knows what other variables could be involved. hope this helps!
Thank you for your answer, @im not a robot.
Methylated Spirits can flash burn, and can explode. They also release Volitile Organic Compounds( VOCs), and should be used with caution in a well ventilated area. I think I'll stick with my IH. I'm not thrilled with a torch, and from what I've been reading about methylated spirits, I'm not too eager to be around it with or without a flame.

Welcome to VA @im not a robot.. Love to see alternative view points, are u mainly heating up caps with alcohol burner? Very peaceful.
thanks helios! & yes, i have been using the alcohol burner exclusively since it became soot-free. i dont have an induction heater, and might get on the waiting list for a flux heater at some point. it looks great, i just dont know whether the induction experience is for me. i love looking at flames too much (who doesn't), and i prefer the heating to go slower. there is sth about torches that irks me aesthetically, the sound probably.
@Madri-Gal raised some valid concerns re the use of ethanol / methylated spirits as fuel though, so i am on the lookout for alternatives & have to do more research.

Slow heating produces a more rich mellow vapour I find. The IH does keep it consistent & repeatable though. Whatever works, work it I say.

Biggest difference for me is that using a DV with an induction heater is more convection, less conduction (because of the much shorter heating time). I agree that a slower heat ups result in denser clouds.

I preordered a Slim Automatic IR by Mag Heater a few days ago, which I'm very much looking forward to (infrared temp control, cruise mode, yay!).

Biggest difference for me is that using a DV with an induction heater is more convection, less conduction (because of the much shorter heating time). I agree that a slower heat ups result in denser clouds.

One thing I find is I tend to maintain a higher average heat using the IH. Heat, rip, magnet, exhale, clicky click & instant reheat. With a torch it is more involved & takes longer I find.

Sometimes I will use a single jet torch for old times sake. Great ritual to it all & the ritual is important

a quick question: i have only used the m, with a stainless steel tip, happily. it seems a lot of people like to go with a titanium tip? from what i gather, the main difference is speed of heat up & cool down? (and an adjustable chamber size.. )
is there anything else? as outlined above, i generally prefer slow, just trying to understand the differences..

Last edited:
a quick question: i have only used the m, with a stainless steel tip, happily. it seems a lot of people like to go with a titanium tip? from what i gather, the main difference is speed of heat up & cool down? (and an adjustable chamber size.. )
is there anything else? as outlined above, i generally prefer slow, just trying to understand the differences..
The Ti tip heats up faster and cools faster, but only just slightly and it has an adjustable chamber, as you mention. The Ti tip also has a slightly more open air flow due to the deeper tip channels.

The latest 2019 SS M tip comes very close to the Ti tip air flow with its zigzag channels and grooved top. The older SS tips had narrower channels and no top grooves.

I prefer the Ti tips. I find the Ti tip more nimble but, as I say, it's negligable. If you tend to indulge outside the SS M tip may be the better choice.

My preference for the Ti tip (4th gen or LE please) may be more about the styling and the fact that in the beginning, there was only the Ti tip and the glass OG tip which was replaced by the M model and it's SS tip.

The Ti tip heats up faster and cools faster, but only just slightly and it has an adjustable chamber, as you mention. The Ti tip also has a slightly more open air flow due to the deeper tip channels.

The latest 2019 SS M tip comes very close to the Ti tip air flow with its zigzag channels and grooved top. The older SS tips had narrower channels and no top grooves.

I prefer the Ti tips. I find the Ti tip more nimble but, as I say, it's negligable. If you tend to indulge outside the SS M tip may be the better choice.

My preference for the Ti tip (4th gen or LE please) may be more about the styling and the fact that in the beginning, there was only the Ti tip and the glass OG tip which was replaced by the M model and it's SS tip.

Yup....since the tips are the heart of the device, Ti really does offer a performance advantage. There's a reason Ti is used so widely in dabbing. Titanium is also less reactive than SS (if that matters to you).

Personally I prefer Ti. Much, much easier to get a good, complete extraction IME. I would suggest trying one sometime and seeing where it takes your game.

Been dry bonging it because someone suggested it on FC. No lie, it works well.

20200223_152746.jpg

Last edited:
I also prefer ti tips, just for the few seconds of heat up time they saves me. For me the actual difference from M to Omni is not so much the ti tip, but the fact that the Omni is all titanium, which not only results in a faster click, but also the device being cooler overall. When I hit my M back to back, I will have to rest it on the magnet after 2 or 3 hits, because the stem gets too hot to hold, the Omni I can keep holding, which gives me more of a joint like experience.

ss tips have advantages too, esp. when you prefer to take long draws or several draws per heat cycle.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back