Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
I was asked if I'd be able to make a long stem for a Dreamwood Dobby a while ago. Not having one the customer sent it over and I had a look.
I said if it works then I'll try and get a dual purpose stem made, can't forget my VC roots now can I.
The first Blackwood hot end decided it had not enjoyed it's afternoon and cracked on me.
Screenshot_20180917-144155_VLC.jpg

My stem design allows for reworks if things do go wrong.
20180917_141859.jpg

Bocote and Blackwood with brass accents.
20180917_142135.jpg

A little inspiration is all I need to work out where I'm going with this, I'm sure it'll come to me
Such a mad man....... I love it. Folks, he's spun acrylic, eggs, shells, coconuts, oh yeah... and some wood. :rofl:

You could make all sorts of things with that shell phattpiggie. The induction heater cover is a great idea... but I can see other things in the future as well. :wink:

A while ago I got a needle file, bastard cut, that came without a handle.

Normally it wouldn't matter as it's only used after a saw cut as a lead for the next diameter file.

Today it's been used a lot and it's going to be used a lot more on this triple helix open twist so it now has a Birds Eye Maple handle.

I'm going to be having the filing session to end all filing sessions in the next month or two as myself and another well respected turner get a collaboration sorted.
Not filed this species but turned it a few times, practice piece was needed to see how it will go.
Ukrainian Bog Oak with Ali accent and BW MP. It's a soft wood to be filing so I've to take my time.
20180924_111600.jpg

A bit of movement going on in this twist, once the glass is in place it'll put back a bit of strength.

The chances of me having four of these open twists together is a chance I couldn't miss.
May never happen again.

@felvapes they always turn out lovely but the build is a PITA and absorb way too much mental energy.
Variables in the wood and glass mean they are a true hand build with each piece of glass being made to fit it's wooden twist.
Things in the works which will hopefully make them a lot more pleasant a stem to make.
This one started life with a green glass when I first made it, black looks better in this longer pitch helix.
DSCF3429.jpg

The next three were all done recently
DSCF3427.jpg

DSCF3425.jpg

DSCF3426.jpg

@felvapes they always turn out lovely but the build is a PITA and absorb way too much mental energy.
Variables in the wood and glass mean they are a true hand build with each piece of glass being made to fit it's wooden twist.
Things in the works which will hopefully make them a lot more pleasant a stem to make.
This one started life with a green glass when I first made it, black looks better in this longer pitch helix.
DSCF3429.jpg

The next three were all done recently
DSCF3427.jpg

DSCF3425.jpg

DSCF3426.jpg
I have seen your videos of the flex etc
I can imagine the concentration to not break them near the end by rushing yet getting them to fit is a lot...

@felvapes an 8mm hole drilled into wood is rarely '8mm' and 8mm glass is every rarer.
7.8, 7.9, 8.1, 8.2mm I have plenty of, even got a piece that has flats on it.

The triple helix one has been the most flexible so far and it took a gentle hand once the wall was broken thru, one of those walk away and have breather jobs.

This is how I have to work the glass, one O ring in the MP end and two at the hot end.

@felvapes an 8mm hole drilled into wood is rarely '8mm' and 8mm glass is every rarer.
7.8, 7.9, 8.1, 8.2mm I have plenty of, even got a piece that has flats on it.

The triple helix one has been the most flexible so far and it took a gentle hand once the wall was broken thru, one of those walk away and have breather jobs.

This is how I have to work the glass, one O ring in the MP end and two at the hot end.

Nice
I love seeing your process

Had a shit end to the week. So to take my mind off it I did something different.
It's a Tubox with a new set of clothes. Scottish Yew and Elm base.
Put it together to make sure it still worked, just needs a new cable and final assemble.

The triple helix open twist got some more filing done to it exposing more of the glass and following on up towards the hot end.

Had the cable and braided sleeve come thru this week so the Tubox is done.
20181006_123933.jpg

The cases I've made in the past are cigar tube kits. I can cut them down or, using spare tubes, make them longer.
They are on the cards to be redesigned and drawings put into the CNC shop.
20181006_163144.jpg
20181006_163531.jpg

I've had to have a long think, not something I relish doing, on how I'm going to proceed with PPWS.
I'll make a post with an explanation when I've worked it out.

But for now as this round of orders comes to an end I'm working on other stuff alongside the last few stems.
This piece of the Buckeye Burl that @Ed's TnT sent over got turned into a desktop IH.
You'd never know from the cut and sanded sides what's to come once it's got a coat of wax on.

Just needs a bit of a think on how to go about the base and DC female before a final sand and wax.
20181008_145214.jpg

Nothing but a stunner all your work is top shelf @phattpiggie glad to see that BE has worked out for you so far and look to see more. Wishing ya well brother, take care!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back