Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Boy @phattpiggie... I'd be hard pressed to choose if I had to between the amethyst and this turquoise..... both are absolutely amazing and some of your nicest yet.

Turquoise all the way for me but that amethyst is a real looker. What a cracker @phattpiggie. Always stellar work.

@momofthegoons and @Stevenski the amethyst is seriously helped along by the wood. I read that to make the stone stand out more you paint under it with a white paint. I didn't want it to take over from the wood so left the paint out.
Turquoise is really great for that pop.

Having a conversation with a customer about vongs and I realised I've not done any for a while so I killed two birds with one stone.
Tried out a new helical flute tap and got a TiHE 14mm together.
20181101-142039.jpg

Don't get much lathe time over the weekend so it's nice when I do.
I was looking at shapes and decided to go slim and sleek on this 14mm piece.
Kingwood is plenty strong enough to cope with the thin wall at it's narrowest section.
First part shows how well this species finishes, 1200 grit and an Iso wipe. Then waxed and in hand.

Took a bunch of MP's a couple of steps further.
Ten going to one place, three to another. Get this lot done and start prepping for another group of ten.
20181105-161624.jpg

My woodshed is looking more and more like a metal shop with the amount of engineering tools I'm buying.
The one on the right will hopefully speed up the condenser work.
20181106-160454.jpg

The longer slim vongs are attracting a bit of attention. This one and the Bimblebox twist are on a 5 day trip into the EU.
BW with a single 45° accent. The smaller section of wood cracked on me so the grain doesn't flow through the accent.

@phattpiggie that Bimblebox twist is so insane. I can see a couple of twists in my future as I love the ones with the glass as well. Have no idea how many are on my wish list at this point lol...

Keep buying tools like you are and you're going to have to put an addition on the shed. :lol:

Thank you @momofthegoons as much as I sigh 'not another twist' a quick vape, some tunes and I'm off and the results are always worth the effort.

Here's the Tailstock Die Holder in action with a bit of light WD40 oil.

A lot of condensers to work thru in the next few days so I'm glad it's going to do the job, a thicker cutting fluid is on it's way.

I had to try it out on a practice stem this time I used chainsaw oil, a chainsaw is something every turner should have.
Spent a while watching a guy turning some really complex segmented pens, incredible talent.
And as I'm doing a practice piece I may as well try out another idea I got from him

BW, Buckeye, synthetic antique ivory and blank credit cards. White, black and white sandwich this time.
20181108-145155.jpg

In-Pics-1541705191.jpg

Best use for a credit card yet, nice work.:thumbsup:
Have you started selling 'direct' yet or are you still filling back orders?

@LesPlenty I haven't had a credit card since I was a kid, vile things along with loan companies.
I'm currently doing a bit of everything.
Got a group of ten stems for a very tall man in the States and three for someone else on the go along with a couple of IH enclosures and a lidded stem to work thru.
Let me know what you are after and I'll see if I can work it in.
I'm also looking for a decent price on another piece of tooling which will allow me to up my inlay game.
If I get it then there is a fancy 'Aussie rules' IH enclosure to get done.

Well if you like Kev, one of my faves;

@LesPlenty I was introduced to Kevin Bloody Wilson at the tender age of 18, 33 bloody years ago.

An IG user saw my posts and started up a conversation the other day, he wanted one of the slender BW vongs I made recently.
I asked if he actually owned a VC and his response was one I've heard a few times 'No'.

Now I may have talked myself out of a sale but I advised him to wait for the BF sale, buy an M, and then come back if he enjoyed it.
I'd hate for someone to spend good money with me only for the piece to languish in a draw gathering dust.
Fingers crossed he gets on okay as he'll be the 11th country I've sold to.

Had a lot to get thru the last few days so I had a little play before setting to.
The slender 14mm pieces have been well liked so it was time for another.

This piece of Tasmanian Blackwood didn't want to play the game but I'm not one to throw away nice pieces of wood and the challenge keeps the grey matter ticking over.

Due to the wander the 14mm end just wasn't going to happen so it was cut shorter and I went with African Blackwood.
BW's from two different continents.
20181117-114523.jpg

You can why there is no way it was going in the fire, some great figure going on.

Coming soon to a high altitude retailer near you
Bocote with Blackwood MP's aluminium accents and TiHE
20181030-165032.jpg

How many of you recognise this song?

Final shape, sand and wax still to left to do before they get packed up and sent out.

I like Tasmanian Blackwood too, my wife drew up some pictures and we got a guy to build us a cabinet and matching extending dining table, I think they came out nice, I like custom work that nobody else has,
IMG_20181119_151714.jpg

Would make a nice bong display cabinet.:smilie-devil:

@LesPlenty I was introduced to Kevin Bloody Wilson at the tender age of 18, 33 bloody years ago.

An IG user saw my posts and started up a conversation the other day, he wanted one of the slender BW vongs I made recently.
I asked if he actually owned a VC and his response was one I've heard a few times 'No'.

Now I may have talked myself out of a sale but I advised him to wait for the BF sale, buy an M, and then come back if he enjoyed it.
I'd hate for someone to spend good money with me only for the piece to languish in a draw gathering dust.
Fingers crossed he gets on okay as he'll be the 11th country I've sold to.

Had a lot to get thru the last few days so I had a little play before setting to.
The slender 14mm pieces have been well liked so it was time for another.

This piece of Tasmanian Blackwood didn't want to play the game but I'm not one to throw away nice pieces of wood and the challenge keeps the grey matter ticking over.

Due to the wander the 14mm end just wasn't going to happen so it was cut shorter and I went with African Blackwood.
BW's from two different continents.
20181117-114523.jpg

You can why there is no way it was going in the fire, some great figure going on.

Coming soon to a high altitude retailer near you
Bocote with Blackwood MP's aluminium accents and TiHE
20181030-165032.jpg

How many of you recognise this song?

Final shape, sand and wax still to left to do before they get packed up and sent out.

Very impressive!

I've no idea when I turned the first stem in this style and the only reason I know who I made it for is because they gifted the original one and asked for another.

It's a horrible dull day over here so I've struggled to capture the great stuff going on in the BW. Indian Summer with brass accents.

20181123-101923.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back