Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
A couple of bits finished up, this was a request from a Ukulele player.
14mm Blackwood, Koa, Pearl acrylic with brass accents.
ObOZq8Y.jpg

With BW MP
aOKG36V.jpg

Got another of the little VC/Mi adapters done and I'll see how they work out, as always I've had another idea for them and I'll see if it works once the parts arrive.

Tried a bit of stone inlay work, my Walnut IH battery pack got a hole drilled in it, a Purpleheart plug fitted with an infill of Lapis Lazuli. Turquoise on a Blackwood stem next.
htHG9Ye.jpg

Got some cones done ready for me to twist and did a simple Blackwood tapered 120mm stem, with 15mm of Thuya in it.
lXnIdKb.jpg

I don't mind the contrast the Lapis gives but it's not a rich enough blue so I'll be getting some more and trying again. I want it to look as good as this Nonovong turned out.
The letters were never cut with the intention of them being filled with stone so I wasn't sure if they'd be deep enough.
Black and White Ebony Nonovong with Turquoise.
s5f0OBk.jpg

Needs a final sand, now it's been enlarged I can see dust around the letters.
hRTg0Ip.jpg

Feeling a lot more confident I pull off the stem.

Hi All - just posting here the @phattpiggie VC that I won from @momofthegoons contest. Fabulously beautiful and it works perfectly well.

Phattpiggie stem and Ti Tip.jpg

@phattpiggie - got any ideas for doing an enano stem? Perhaps be able to have a short boro glass section to be the chamber with the basket screen and then wonderful wood or acylic stem??

Things break, a bit too regularly sometimes.
This is the MP from a piece I made earlier. I've put the cone cutter in it so you can see the crack, I found it with my x20 loupe. Luckily I'm able to rescue some stems, thin parting off tool and a lot of concentration.
31NRisW.jpg

Keeping with the breaking topic here's a couple of twists that I got roughed out ready for the next onslaught of sanding. The top one is Macassar Ebony and it's my second attempt at a twist in it.
The first one was drilled as normal but when I tried the Ti tip in the hot end it was way too loose.
Second attempt and all looked and felt good so I set to with the twist.
O3Ff50c.jpg

Only to find it had split, again the cone exaggerates the crack.
Not to happy at this point so I step back and swear a lot.
Z9o5wus.png

But there is too much time invested in that twist so a rescue mission was hatched..
qWfFdfa.jpg

New Blackwood hot end with a brass accent
AvCaZyz.jpg

Blackwood, Thuya Burr with Turquoise accents, I can see more inlay stuff getting tried out.
3ytOBii.jpg

Bumped into an old friend and as we got chatting I showed him the Turquoise stem, next thing you know I've got a handful of rocks.
XDpUHv5.jpg

Took a hammer to the top piece and had another try on another Dynavap logo.
npZAdL4.jpg

Here's a quick 'reveal', this Kingwood almost didn't get the twist filed in it. The grain is the best I've had in this wood.

Had a new tap and die arrive this week so I can try something different, the ones on the left are used for the stems I segment. No idea how this will go but unless I try I'll never know.
NLHcbM6.jpg

Picked up a few more acrylics at the local turning association annual get together, open day type thing.
Also got some more toothpick cases in the post so I can make another stem with a cover.
kwDJB5W.jpg

And because I have to get some more practice in I stuck a small ball rasp in a Dremel type tool and abused a Cherry Mi. A laser cut image would have been crisper and there are a couple of voids to go over and fill but I'm happy enough with the end result.

@phattpiggie I'm looking forward to seeing that piece of Myrtle Burl done up. I used to be such a 'Myrtle Girl' and it's the first wood that got me jonesing for burls. I haven't seen anyone work any of it for a long time; gosh... since back in the Myrtlezap days I want to say. Unless I'm having a brain fart and @Ed's TnT has made something out of it recently. Or you. :lol:

@phattpiggie I'm looking forward to seeing that piece of Myrtle Burl done up. I used to be such a 'Myrtle Girl' and it's the first wood that got me jonesing for burls. I haven't seen anyone work any of it for a long time; gosh... since back in the Myrtlezap days I want to say. Unless I'm having a brain fart and @Ed's TnT has made something out of it recently. Or you. :lol:

No ma’am I haven’t yet but matter of fact was looking at some myrtle just the other day that Rick sent me years back. Was looking to make sure it would be the right dimensions and wouldn’t ya know it, hmmm a myrtle WoodScents will soon be from the man that started the Zap woot woot!

@momofthegoons I seem to think the longest stem here is Myrtle Burl, customers collection and foto.
It's 170'ish mm long, I didn't want to cut the blank down.
fm1XowR.jpg

The 10mm die cut thru the SS nicely, went on square which makes the next step easier.
G6qIIqz.jpg

Got a Yew Twist done to suit an Omni Xl

Also a Lidded Koa

Having to step up my presentation game, got to work out a little photo booth, lighting and backgrounds.
Here's a piece of Bog Oak @Ed's TnT sent me over, an off cut at 2 1/4" square by 1 1/2" it didn't really look like it was
destined for anything other than cutting up and adding in as accents.

I needed a stand/rest that I can use for pictures and thought I'll flip it 90 degrees, so I got inventive with the chucking and made something of a nice piece of ancient wood.

I had it spinning and thought my chisel must be blunt as it just looked to be tearing grain. Only when I stopped I realized it was just the pattern.

And an in use video

Lol the bog oak is tricky stuff for sure. Freaking love the stems you did bro, holy Vape hits those are going to make super happy customers, you are the man PP!

Thank you @Stevenski the whole thing has had a really nice flow to it, perhaps a little quicker than I first thought.
I've got some other ideas to try out but I'm going to need some help getting them off the ground.
The necessary skill set and tooling are beyond me, but there are ways and means.

I got the first of a set of 3 pieces together over the last few days, Blackwood and Mexican Cocobolo with aluminium accents.
VM90UtR.jpg

It's good seeing the blank appear as the roughing out gets done. This one was made over size as there was a crack in one end. As you can see it's a bit more than a crack. Luckily I need less than 30mm of this one.
b8O3b06m.jpg
yj5Nfe0m.jpg

Before...
jV8zNuN.jpg

and after..
Modular design means not only VC and WS usage
12euBwH.jpg

but also Tubo and RBT tech based vapes
xiPiQTU.jpg

Finished the trio of Blackwood, Cocobolo pieces.
Wtbpn14.jpg

These just need to settle before they get a final sand and polish then their of down to an online retailer.
XCRGxh9.jpg

And I had to do another of these, a fair bit of work left to finish this one.
This Beech is really soft so it got a dint but I'll be able to hide it.
ieP6MBD.jpg

Thanks @momofthegoons, and you know what the following picture means:lol:

Here's the 10 pieces all sanded and waxed, they'll be going out to a retailer near you, well on the other side of your screen.
All Blackwood ends with brass accents, left to right
Birds Eye Zebrano, London Plane Burr, Lacewood, Bocote, Tiger Rengas, Sumac, Rippled Ash, Figured Walnut, Birds Eye Zebrano and Fiddleback Catalpa.
2fFompR.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back